Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Digital Compacts

good in a blizzard?
Old 09-15-2016   #1
back alley
IMAGES

good in a blizzard?

are there any point & shoots that can be used in a full out downpour or a freezing blizzard?
i'm thinking about when i walk the dog and don't want to carry anything big...my dog loves walking in the snow...

xt20/xe2/xe1
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/55-200

Old 09-15-2016   #2
Timmyjoe

I covered a story last winter in a blizzard with a Nikon 1 V2 and 10mm lens. Had a second V2 with the 32mm lens. Both survived about three hours of heavy snow. I remember having to clean each camera that was hanging by my side while I used the other. The snow piled up real nice on that 32mm.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories & Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 09-15-2016   #3
Steve Bellayr

Nikonos V. You can use it in the pool and the ocean and even diving. The standard lens is a Nikon 35mm f2.5 which is of the same design of the 35mm f2.5 rangefinder lens for Nikon.

Old 09-15-2016   #4
back alley
IMAGES

don't they make water/weather proof digitals now?
anyone with some experience?

xt20/xe2/xe1

Old 09-15-2016   #5
mpaniagua

Iphone?

Old 09-15-2016   #6
MikeMGB

I just ordered a Panasonic DMC-TS6Z, 16mp, shockproof, waterproof, freezproof, having not long ago lost a camera to a downpour I wanted something that would survive tough conditions.

Old 09-15-2016   #7
kxl
Social Documentary

Olympus Stylus TOUGH TG-4 Digital Camera

"Available in black or red. The TG series continues to improve and the TG-4 is the archetype of a tough camera. It can shoot underwater to a depth of 50', operate in temperatures as low as 14F, and with dual protective frames, its shockproof from a 7-foot fall and crushproof to 220 lbf. In addition, its lens and 3.0" OLED monitor are coated to prevent scratching and to keep rain and condensation from obscuring your view. Its also sealed to prevent dirt, sand, and dust from getting inside and its battery door is double-locked to preclude accidental opening." -- from B&H

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...4_digital.html

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence. ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 09-15-2016   #8
back alley
IMAGES

oly seems to be the winner in this fight...but 500 big ones for a p&s is a hurtful thing...

xt20/xe2/xe1

Old 09-15-2016   #9
mpaniagua

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
oly seems to be the winner in this fight...but 500 big ones for a p&s is a hurtful thing...
ebayx has some listings from $300.00

Old 09-15-2016   #10
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

The Olympus Stylus Epic (mju II) is a compact 35mm film camera with remarkable 35mm f/2.8 aspherical lens renowned for image quality.
At one time it was a favorite point and shoot camera at RFF; I recall nearly everyone here either had one or wanted one.
With its clamshell case it is quite pocketable, and weather-resistant design makes it useful in any weather, though it is not submersible.

Chris

Old 09-15-2016   #11
mpaniagua

Oh yeah. Thats my current point and shoot. Didnt know it was weather resistant. Usually take very much care of it. It doenst look that tough.

Old 09-15-2016   #12
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaniagua View Post
Iphone?
Joke aside, the iPhone 7+ is probably the best choice. Small, water-proof and 2 lenses.

Old 09-15-2016   #13
emraphoto

Nikon AW1. i know many photojournalists who use them. submerge them if need be, very fast operators and excellent video.

there's a few excellent photojournalists on this site, with nom de guerres, and i know at least 2 of them who could give feedback on the AW1.

Old 09-15-2016   #14
nickthetasmaniac

I don't think it's what it was intended for, but I've used my GR in some fairly nasty weather... It usually lives in the breast pocket of my Gore-Tex when I'm hiking. It's always worked fine as long as I can stick it in front of a heater at the end of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
are there any point & shoots that can be used in a full out downpour or a freezing blizzard?
As a qualifier though, there's a big difference between a downpour and a blizzard. In my experience, if it's snow and it's below freezing then it's usually dry and I'm happy to pull the camera out. If it's a downpour (usually the case where I'm from), then I'm a lot more cautious.

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 09-15-2016   #15
giganova

Blizzard, yeah, right. You just want an excuse to buy another Leica!

Old 09-15-2016   #16
mpaniagua

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post
Joke aside, the iPhone 7+ is probably the best choice. Small, water-proof and 2 lenses.
Joking aside, yeah, even if Im not an Iphone fan, I thing it would be the best choice. I suppose you can even use some kind of case for maximum protection.

Old 09-15-2016   #17
BillBingham2

On this thread, post #32 suggests a site that you might find a better priced P&S, though they are refurbished.

http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=155879

I saw one the other night, but don't remember the price or of they ship up north.

B2 (;->

Old 09-15-2016   #18
YouAreHere

Digital or film?

If film, Konica made a series of rugged film cameras meant for construction sites and the like. A less expensive alternative would be any of the single-use waterproof cameras.

Old 09-15-2016   #19
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaniagua View Post
ebayx has some listings from $300.00
they are 500 cdn locally/new.
so cheaper in usd.

xt20/xe2/xe1

Old 09-15-2016   #20
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraphoto View Post
Nikon AW1. i know many photojournalists who use them. submerge them if need be, very fast operators and excellent video.

there's a few excellent photojournalists on this site, with nom de guerres, and i know at least 2 of them who could give feedback on the AW1.
might be too big for a coat pocket...
i have a fear that i would start a small system, with extra lenses etc...otherwise, it seems like a pretty cool kit.

xt20/xe2/xe1

Old 09-15-2016   #21
back alley
IMAGES

and i could get a white one and totally blend into the background....

xt20/xe2/xe1

Old 09-15-2016   #22
back alley
IMAGES

whoa...800 cdn on sale!!
an xe1 and a towel is way cheaper!

xt20/xe2/xe1

Old 09-15-2016   #23
nikonosguy

Fuji xp 70,80,90

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/...xp70/features/

Old 09-15-2016   #24
kxl
Social Documentary

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/...ujifilm-and-me

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence. ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 09-16-2016   #25
schaki

Ricoh G700 or G700SE new or used should be fine for the task and have pretty ok image quality compared to many of its rivals including the newer G800 which is more of the same.
Unfortunately for Ricoh the G800 have problem with too much NR and sharpening issues unlike the G700. So I can't recommend the G800.
Another which is older and bigger is the Ricoh Caplio 500G and 500SE but it actually have somewhat better image quality from my experience. Ricoh Caplio GX8 served as base for the 500G and 500SE, it is the same image-sensor and zoom.
Unlike the newer G700, 500SE have faster widest aperture at 28mm, 2.5. The G700 is only 3.5 at 28mm and have a little slower AF as well. The AF-speed in G700 is not bad either.

I've stayed clear of the new different-consument-oriented Ricoh WG-series which unfortunately have worse image quality due to NR-issues than 500G/SE and G700.

Old 09-16-2016   #26
Timmyjoe

I've got one of the Panasonic waterproof P&S cameras DMC-TS3, and while it's very waterproof, and the kids and I love using it in the pool and the ocean, it doesn't take the best pictures out of the water.

New Photo Books
now available

Old 09-16-2016   #27
kshapero
My view

The Nikon AW 1

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-pro...kon-1-aw1.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 09-16-2016   #28
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

I'm using iPhone 5C in protecting case. I dropped it in the tray with water at darkroom and it protected it. And it is not even famous Otter brand. As long as phone is not freezing, here is absolutely no problem to use it, stills and video.

Sony, Olympus, Pentax have frost and diving P&S, sealed lens and controls, but quality of pictures from this rugged P&S are not worth the price if not diving, but dog walking under heavy snow.
Maybe Hero GoPro or knock-offs of it which I have seen in the stores would be more fun.

Old 09-16-2016   #29
rjbuzzclick

Canon WP-1 (film). Canon states that it's weatherproof, not waterproof, but I've had mine underwater to at least 5ft with no problems. I've not used it in the snow, but I would think it would handle it fine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Old 09-16-2016   #30
f16sunshine

I used a Lumix TS1 for a few adventures even in salt water and snow sports (especially salt actually). It was purchased in 2009 and survived until 2012
It did what it was meant to but eventually was lent to the wrong person who did not clean it properly after snorkeling.
Panasonic is on version TS35 or something like that now. They are under $200 and Still work great.
I Highly recommend getting one with Wifi transfer ability.
Lumix makes nice gear. I'll vouch for my little first Generation TS1 any day.

Swam in to get this one of the bay. Dried it off and took the shot (furthest sailboat boat on the top right hand side.
isola maddalena sardegna by Adnan, on Flickr

Bonifacio Corsica by Adnan, on Flickr

Captain Cam by Adnan, on Flickr

Old 09-16-2016   #31
Pioneer

Pentax has been making weather sealed dslrs and compact for many years. Everyone else only pretends to do it. I have been using my K5iiS outdoors in rain and snow ever since I bought it and it still works great. No one else will guarantee their cameras for that type of use.

The Ricoh WG-5 is going for about $270 US and a K30 DSLR (very light and handy) is about $400 US.

Of course, if you want to pay for a pro Nikon body or a pro Canon body then you might get away with a bit of weather exposure, but they still recommend you protect the camera from direct, prolonged exposure to rain or snow.

EDIT - Pentax makes REAL outdoor cameras.
For those who do not believe, check out Reid Reviews.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 09-16-2016   #32
rfaspen

A film waterproof P+S should be cheap and easy to find. I have one....a Canon something or other. It works fine in downpours (I'm in western Oregon, we know rain here). For digital: I saw the Oly tough was mentioned. A fellow XC skier had one and it seemed nice to me. It worked great in wet snow, my skis didn't.

Also, I think there's a huge difference between rain and snow (unless its that wet snow when the temp is hovering around 32F). When its truly cold, snow is dry. I've used some very non-weather resistant cameras in Montana snow (sometimes serious snow) without problem. Just make sure to dust off fully before putting the camera back in the bag/pocket. Those were film cameras....digital in Montana winter can be a bit of a hassle. I had a digital camera stop working in a matter of seconds when its 40 below but my little Zorki-C worked fine for as long as I kept it out -- usually several minutes. Still, at 40 below I start to worry about mechanical failure too. For example, I dropped my car key once and it shattered at my feet. The metal hinges on my truck canopy snapped when I opened it. My little Zorki is made of small metal pieces.....so I limit "exposure time" to intervals of minutes. Its always something, eh?

Old 09-16-2016   #33
rfaspen

Quick web check and wow! lots of stuff out there. This one looked OK to me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XK73HT6?psc=1

Price is right. At least its in my budget range.

Old 09-16-2016   #34
back alley
IMAGES

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Digital Camera (blue)--- 300 cdn (on sale)
Panasonic DMC-TS30 Digital Camera (red) --- 170 cdn (on sale)

xt20/xe2/xe1

Old 09-16-2016   #35
back alley
IMAGES

my thought was to find a small, pocketable, hardy camera that i could pull out for shots in the snow or rain and not have to give the camera a second thought.
if it fit into a jeans pocket or the small pocket out front on a winters coat that would be great.

xt20/xe2/xe1

Old 09-16-2016   #36
Timmyjoe

Well the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 would certainly fit the bill as far as pocketable, hardy, and small. If the image quality on land is better than my DMC-TS3, you should be good to go. (again, underwater, I have no complaints with the image quality of the DMC-TS3).

New Photo Books
now available

Old 09-16-2016   #37
schaki

Reviews of the Ricoh Caplio 500SE. http://digicamreview.com/ricoh_caplio_500se_review.htm
It was also being covered in a German review. Here run through Google translate in case German isn't you native language https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

Superb somewhat old but good quality compact camera! Clearly something else, better, than most of todays' waterproof camera with smudgy noise reduction.
Of the current crop, (based on image quality which includes very little NR) I would probably only recommend Canon Powershot D30. But be aware of the slow widest aperture at 28mm which is 3.9. That's one weakness of a camera which seems to be pretty good otherwise. I had the predecessor, Powershot D20 for a while which have the same zoom-lens.
http://photographyblog.com/reviews/c...ot_d30_review/

Old 09-16-2016   #38
schaki

Reviews of the Ricoh Caplio 500SE. http://digicamreview.com/ricoh_caplio_500se_review.htm
It was also being covered in a German review. Here run through Google translate in case German isn't you native language https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

Superb somewhat old but good quality compact camera! Clearly something else, better, than most of todays' waterproof camera with smudgy noise reduction.
Of the current crop, (based on image quality which includes very little NR) I would probably only recommend Canon Powershot D30. But be aware of the slow widest aperture at 28mm which is 3.9. That's one weakness of a camera which seems to be pretty good otherwise. I had the predecessor, Powershot D20 for a while which have the same zoom-lens.
http://photographyblog.com/reviews/c...ot_d30_review/

Old 09-16-2016   #39
f16sunshine

I think the production TS5 is discontinued the TS6 takes it's place.
If you can find a new TS5 in stock for the right price you might jump on it.
Panny lowered the price down on the TS-30 by removing the wifi and putting a smaller LCD (it's a smaller camera).

I'm pretty sure that's the only real difference between the TS5 and later TS30 for a still Photographer.
Sensor, Lens, and waterproofing are all the same.

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Pa...-Lumix-DMC-TS5

Old 09-16-2016   #40
Pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
A film waterproof P+S should be cheap and easy to find. I have one....a Canon something or other. It works fine in downpours (I'm in western Oregon, we know rain here). For digital: I saw the Oly tough was mentioned. A fellow XC skier had one and it seemed nice to me. It worked great in wet snow, my skis didn't.

Also, I think there's a huge difference between rain and snow (unless its that wet snow when the temp is hovering around 32F). When its truly cold, snow is dry. I've used some very non-weather resistant cameras in Montana snow (sometimes serious snow) without problem. Just make sure to dust off fully before putting the camera back in the bag/pocket. Those were film cameras....digital in Montana winter can be a bit of a hassle. I had a digital camera stop working in a matter of seconds when its 40 below but my little Zorki-C worked fine for as long as I kept it out -- usually several minutes. Still, at 40 below I start to worry about mechanical failure too. For example, I dropped my car key once and it shattered at my feet. The metal hinges on my truck canopy snapped when I opened it. My little Zorki is made of small metal pieces.....so I limit "exposure time" to intervals of minutes. Its always something, eh?
My Kiev 4 is very reliable in snow and /or very cold weather. I usually just carry it around in a coat pocket and that seems to be adequate protection for it.

dI have never dared to take one of my Contax II s out when it gets that cold but the Kiev has never been a problem.

Anything with batteries is not a great idea. 20 or more below Fahrenheit is not very good for them unless you can keep them warm somehow. Around the fire in the lodge works great, outside...not so much.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan