Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica Screw Mount Copies

Leica Screw Mount Copies Classic Leica Copy forum as listed in the book 300 Leica Copies, including but not limited to Nicca, Leotax, Honor, Canon etc. At one time there was a major part of the camera industry just trying to make a lower cost copy/dirivitive of the original Leica.

Nikkor 50mm f2 LTM
Old 09-09-2016   #1
Goody

Nikkor 50mm f2 LTM

I am thinking of getting a Nikkor 50mm f2 LTM lens -- I gather that it has an unusual filter size/thread pitch. Are adapters available or am I looking at finding vintage filters and lens shades?

Old 09-09-2016   #2
Dormeur74

I have only B+W 77mm filters and following step-ups to adapt them on my different lenses :
- 49->77mm
- 52->77mm
- 55->77mm
- 58->77mm
- 62->77mm
- 67->77mm
- 72->77mm

Here is a 50 mm f/1.2 (52 mm) with a 77 mm filter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stepup.jpg (31.4 KB, 20 views)

Old 09-09-2016   #3
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody View Post
I am thinking of getting a Nikkor 50mm f2 LTM lens -- I gather that it has an unusual filter size/thread pitch. Are adapters available or am I looking at finding vintage filters and lens shades?
Any 40.5mm filter will work.

Old 09-10-2016   #4
jamin-b

Quote:
I quite like this lens for film and digital. I was looking for a cheaper sonnar alternative to the Zeiss or Canon 1.5 and ended up with one of these. Added bonus is the close up ability down to 0.5m (but not rangefinder coupled) and compact solid build.

Old 09-10-2016   #5
Goody

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post
Any 40.5mm filter will work.
Is this for sure? I had read that the regular 40.5 mm filter is .75 pitch and the Nikkor LTM is .5 pitch (or maybe I have it reversed) -- so it was a concern. But if the standard 40.5 mm filters fit that's great.

Old 09-10-2016   #6
ZivcoPhoto

Beautiful rendering with M9
Sharp, crisp, very smooth out of focus, awesome color

I like it better than my current Summicron on digital Leicas

Mine is very late production with black ring

Old 09-10-2016   #7
ulrich.von.lich

I use a cheap Hoya HMC 40.5mm UV filter, and it fits perfectly.

Old 09-10-2016   #8
ferider

Quote:
Is this for sure? I had read that the regular 40.5 mm filter is .75 pitch and the Nikkor LTM is .5 pitch (or maybe I have it reversed) -- so it was a concern. But if the standard 40.5 mm filters fit that's great.
Yes, for sure, any modern 40.5mm filter and hood will work. I personally recommend a small hood like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201584480758. The pitch issue happens with the Nikkor 5cm/1.4 and 43mm filters, Goody. Have no fear, the 5cm/2 is a great and tiny lens.

Old 09-10-2016   #9
Goody

Thanks eveyone for the responses!

Old 09-10-2016   #10
Highway 61
Revisited

Ferider's advices are all correct.

Yet you can use a longer shade for better efficiency. If you are into nice vintage things, the Voigtländer 310/41 shade designed for the Vitessa camera is worth a look (there are some on eBay regularly). It won't block your viewfinder. And it's pretty.

Old 10-10-2016   #11
genji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post
Ferider's advices are all correct.

Yet you can use a longer shade for better efficiency. If you are into nice vintage things, the Voigtländer 310/41 shade designed for the Vitessa camera is worth a look (there are some on eBay regularly). It won't block your viewfinder. And it's pretty.
Thank you so much for this suggestion. My Voigtländer 310/41 lens hood arrived (from Poland) today and it's a perfect match for the Nikkor H.C. 50/2.

Old 10-10-2016   #12
x-ray

I did a side by side comparison with my V2 Rigid Summicron found them to be very comparable. The Nikkor may have had a slight advantage in smoothness of oof areas. I did my comparison on B&W film. The Nikkor also seems to have less flare wide open than the Summicron. Thinking about it I guess the Nikkor has a slight optical advantage. The Nikkor has a longer focus throw but is slightly smaller if I remember correctly. Construction wise they're both built like tanks.

Old 11-04-2016   #13
tennis-joe

The 50/2 Nikkor is a very wonderful lens. I have used it on my SM Leicas and other SM cameras. It has been a while that I have shot with them as most of the drug stores that use to develop film have done away with processing film. i have a Nikkor 50/1.4 that I like also but the 50/2's were a lot cheaper.

Rangefinder

Old 11-04-2016   #14
Bingley

I have this lens and use a 40.5 mm filter w/out any problem.

M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery