Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Scale Focus 35's

Scale Focus 35's Though not rangefinders, scale focus 35's are 1st cousins. This forum includes such popular gems as the Rollei 35's, Petri 35's, and the Olympus XA-4.

Kodak Retina IB (Typ 019 - Ausf II)
Old 09-04-2016   #1
Dcanalogue

Kodak Retina IB (Typ 019 - Ausf II)

Another first test from my Retina (and Retinette collection).... Now just a IIa remains to load for the firs time....

As "usual" the Schneider Kreuznach lens gave good results...

More on my Blog

Leica M2 - Leica R-E
Rolleiflex 3,5F
Mamiya RB 67 proS
M.P.P. Mark VIII

My Film Blog: The Film Renaissance

Old 09-04-2016   #2
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Nice photo.

I have yet to run into a Retina camera that is not broken.

They seem to be very delicately made instruments.

Old 09-04-2016   #3
shawn

Nice, I just finished working on the shutter on a 1b to get it up and running properly. I like the folding mechanism of these better than the earlier cameras (smoother and quicker) but the film winding is a little more delicate. The 1b has a bit nicer viewfinder than the earlier models but not as large as the 1B.

Shawn

Old 09-04-2016   #4
Dcanalogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
Nice photo.

I have yet to run into a Retina camera that is not broken.

They seem to be very delicately made instruments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
Nice, I just finished working on the shutter on a 1b to get it up and running properly. I like the folding mechanism of these better than the earlier cameras (smoother and quicker) but the film winding is a little more delicate. The 1b has a bit nicer viewfinder than the earlier models but not as large as the 1B.

Shawn
Maybe some parts were a little bit dellicate respect the whole construction (e.g. cocking rack) but we must think about the fact that these cameras have almost all more than 60 years... and often have been unused, closed in a cabinet or who knows where..... so, the most of actual issues depends on poor management or storage and hardening of lubrificants....
Generally speaking, good cameras (i.e. Retina, Zeiss Ikon, Leica or Voigtlander) built until the '60s, are all well made to last.... and still deliver good results... often after a good CLA.... and, if well used... will work well for other 60 years

Leica M2 - Leica R-E
Rolleiflex 3,5F
Mamiya RB 67 proS
M.P.P. Mark VIII

My Film Blog: The Film Renaissance

Old 09-04-2016   #5
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcanalogue View Post
Maybe some parts were a little bit dellicate respect the whole construction (e.g. cocking rack) but we must think about the fact that these cameras have almost all more than 60 years... and often have been unused, closed in a cabinet or who knows where..... so, the most of actual issues depends on poor management or storage and hardening of lubrificants....
Generally speaking, good cameras (i.e. Retina, Zeiss Ikon, Leica or Voigtlander) built until the '60s, are all well made to last.... and still deliver good results... often after a good CLA.... and, if well used... will work well for other 60 years
True, they are well built. I have Retina's that are 20years older than the 1b and they all were working as found. As they got more complex the potential for more issues rose.

Shawn

Old 09-04-2016   #6
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcanalogue View Post
I understand that they are old cameras, but I have run into old Barnack Leicas and copies of these types made in various different countries and even early 1960s 35mm SLRS and they all more or less are operational. I have yet to find a Retina in pawn shops or garage sales and even at camera shows that is remotely what I call "operational". I though it was due to my bad luck but after years and years of checking them out, they all look to be in need of repair of varying degrees to make them even passably usable.

I was thinking that maybe the Retina was a camera that was notorious for breaking down and their owners never took them in for repair for some undisclosed reason, but that does not make sense, as these cameras were known to be expensive and finely made cameras.