Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M -- Leica CL / Minolta CLE

Leica M -- Leica CL / Minolta CLE This forum is about all things Leica CL and Minolta CLE, remarkable compact M cameras

Minolta 40mm M-Rokkor, which version?
Old 09-04-2016   #1
Satisfied Fool

Minolta 40mm M-Rokkor, which version?

I am looking to get a 40mm m-rokkor and I read something about there being two versions. The later version would have a different coating and is better according to the internet. I haven't been able to find anything on how to tell these two versions apart though? Who can enlighten me...

Old 09-04-2016   #2
kuuan
plays with lenses

the later multi coated version for the CLE has the serial number on the lens barrel, not on the front 'name ring' as the earlier version

Old 09-04-2016   #3
Satisfied Fool

Thanks for the quick answer, going to order one now and pick up my first CLE next week... Cant wait.

Old 09-04-2016   #4
f16sunshine

I've owned them all and currently own a CLE version. Condition is probably the most important factor. Yes, the CLE has more modern coatings. That's not what everyone wants though (single coating has it's virtues). It's a fantastic lens and imo very undervalued. Best!

Old 09-04-2016   #5
ferider

The CLE version (which I have) is better built. It has a straight RF cam, which creates less problems when using it on multiple cameras. Really great lens.

Old 09-04-2016   #6
ray*j*gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
I've owned them all and currently own a CLE version. That's not what everyone wants though (single coating has it's virtues). It's a fantastic lens and imo very undervalued. Best!
Yep I have the single coated version which I like better for the vintage look I get with B&W. Actually the color from that lens is pretty sweet also.

Old 09-04-2016   #7
bayernfan

I just picked up the CLE (2nd) version. The build quality is nice, not quite up to the contemporary Leica standards (my 35/2.8 Summaron is the best built lens I've ever handled). My copy exhibits a bit of focus ring wobble which I think is a common issue with these as they age (helicoid packing grease). I'll probably send it to DAG for a tune-up.

The rendering is really nice, particularly the out of focus areas at wide apertures.

Old 09-04-2016   #8
Satisfied Fool

I just ordered a CLE one in near-mint condition. I can't wait to get my hands on this lens and the CLE. Gonna be good...