Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Scale Focus 35's

Scale Focus 35's Though not rangefinders, scale focus 35's are 1st cousins. This forum includes such popular gems as the Rollei 35's, Petri 35's, and the Olympus XA-4.

Agfa Silette L 35mm - A post for Photography's 177th Aniversary
Old 08-19-2016   #1
Dcanalogue

Agfa Silette L 35mm - A post for Photography's 177th Aniversary

Hi guys!

Today's the Photography's Bday and I wanted to make a little tribute in my Film Blog posting about a nice Agfa Silette L.
It gave good results despite an "initial" frozen focus ring. I made my first successful DIY and fixed the (small) problem...

Leica M2 - Leica R-E
Rolleiflex 3,5F
Mamiya RB 67 proS
M.P.P. Mark VIII

My Film Blog: The Film Renaissance

Old 08-19-2016   #2
BernardL

Nice composition. But you might want to check the focus: in either picture shown, nothing is in sharp
Possible methods:
- ground glass; pointing at distant (>100m) object
- glass plate (ground or not) at film position with some black lines drawn in film plane, stare into the Silett lens with a known good SLR. With both camera lenses set at infinity, object should appear sharp; If not, adjust the Silette focus scale. A method proposed by Rick Olesson, I believe.

Old 08-23-2016   #3
Dcanalogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardL View Post
Nice composition. But you might want to check the focus: in either picture shown, nothing is in sharp
Possible methods:
- ground glass; pointing at distant (>100m) object
- glass plate (ground or not) at film position with some black lines drawn in film plane, stare into the Silett lens with a known good SLR. With both camera lenses set at infinity, object should appear sharp; If not, adjust the Silette focus scale. A method proposed by Rick Olesson, I believe.
Hi,
thanks for your hints, but I beleieve the lack of sharpness depends much on the scanning process. I've checked with your method (looking through the lens with focus set to infinity) and focus seems spot-on and more, I double checked the negatives with a loupe and seems much sharper...

Leica M2 - Leica R-E
Rolleiflex 3,5F
Mamiya RB 67 proS
M.P.P. Mark VIII

Old 08-23-2016   #4
farlymac
PF McFarland

Agfa made a lot of nice cameras that would be worth much today more if they hadn't used that Bayer grease. Good that you got that Solinar working again, it can be a pain getting the lens apart.

PF

Old 08-23-2016   #5
Dcanalogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
Agfa made a lot of nice cameras that would be worth much today more if they hadn't used that Bayer grease. Good that you got that Solinar working again, it can be a pain getting the lens apart.

PF
Yep.... I've been lucky with my Silette and ISolette III... the grease wasn't an issue...

Leica M2 - Leica R-E
Rolleiflex 3,5F
Mamiya RB 67 proS
M.P.P. Mark VIII