Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF News

RFF News News related to photography and rangefinderforum.

Film Photography Makes A "Stunning" Comeback
Old 07-27-2016   #1
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

Film Photography Makes A "Stunning" Comeback

Comeback?? It never went anywhere to begin with!

Old 07-27-2016   #2
Gregm61

We've got to stop meeting in the same places. People will start talking...

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/.../#entry3086249

Old 07-27-2016   #3
Archlich

Fully agree with Adan in the l-forum post. "Comeback"? Not really. The "economically-viable floor where it can survive" is all I could ask for.

Old 07-27-2016   #4
jsrockit

These articles always make a big deal over small increases... same with vinyl. Sure, the numbers are slightly up, but prices keep rising a lot. At this point, all we can hope for is that film keeps being made by someone and can be done so within reason. It'll never be mainstream again.

Old 07-27-2016   #5
MikeChong
oldskhool

We knew it all along, thanks for the link.

Old 07-27-2016   #6
Spanik

If it neverwent anywhere, then please explain where are Kodachrome, Provia 400X, Neopan, FP100, FP3000, 110 film, 127 film, cibachrome, Agfa Isopan, Scala, Efke, etc.

Old 07-27-2016   #7
rfaspen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanik View Post
If it neverwent anywhere, then please explain where are Kodachrome, Provia 400X, Neopan, FP100, FP3000, 110 film, 127 film, cibachrome, Agfa Isopan, Scala, Efke, etc.
And the old Agfa APX.

I'm about to purchase yet more film. Doing my part...

Old 07-27-2016   #8
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Is it CEO article? I read it few days ago and call it "babushkas talk".

Old 07-27-2016   #9
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Less diversity/selection and higher prices.

Not sure if that's a comeback, but that's the trend.

On the other hand all I need are a few films that I like and can afford as staples.

Cal

Old 07-27-2016   #10
BLKRCAT
100% Film

Quote:
wow only 7 posts in before someone dropped a "K" bomb...

It was never going to last even if were economically viable. The process isn't good for the environment.

Old 07-27-2016   #11
rfaspen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKRCAT View Post
wow only 7 posts in before someone dropped a "K" bomb...

It was never going to last even if were economically viable. The process isn't good for the environment.
That's true. The K-14 process is reported to be very polluting. I never found out exactly what chemicals are responsible for this, but the Kodak rep who used to pester my former place of employment assured us it was really nasty and they braced for some possible consequences.

Old 07-27-2016   #12
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

#comebackisreal

Hope sellers don't use such articles to hype up the prices.

flickr

About Film Cameras

Old 07-27-2016   #13
daveleo
what?

That article is a big zero.
Some guy yapping on a bar stool.

"Insults are pouring down on me as thick as hail." .... E. Manet

Old 07-27-2016   #14
charjohncarter

Welcome news, I wish a few more pros would use film. I personally don't like most of their new work.

Old 07-27-2016   #15
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I don't quite get the theory about measuring the time spent processing digital images against the cost of purchasing, developing and scanning film and seeing the film option as better value. Personally I don't want film to go away and any increase in usage is great but this article is a fair bit of hyperbole in my opinion. Until the mainstream picks it up (unlikely) and starts using it it will remain a niche product. And what about the infrastructure required to support it ... there is no facility within twenty kilometers of me that can develop a roll of film. Home developers are not going to support the level of sales required to make the industry boyant ... it will need more than that.

Old 07-27-2016   #16
John Bragg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I don't quite get the theory about measuring the time spent processing digital images against the cost of purchasing, developing and scanning film and seeing the film option as better value. Personally I don't want film to go away and any increase in usage is great but this article is a fair bit of hyperbole in my opinion. Until the mainstream picks it up (unlikely) and starts using it it will remain a niche product. And what about the infrastructure required to support it ... there is no facility within twenty kilometers of me that can develop a roll of film. Home developers are not going to support the level of sales required to make the industry boyant ... it will need more than that.
The very attraction of film for me is that I can home develop it. I have done so for the last 30 or more years and the magic is still there. I am a tactile hands on kind of guy and digital just leaves me cold. The nearest film developing facility is always going to be wherever I happen to be, and it doesn't get any more convenient than that !

Old 07-27-2016   #17
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bragg View Post
The very attraction of film for me is that I can home develop it. I have done so for the last 30 or more years and the magic is still there. I am a tactile hands on kind of guy and digital just leaves me cold. The nearest film developing facility is always going to be wherever I happen to be, and it doesn't get any more convenient than that !

We are the lucky ones but what about the dewy eyed hipster who has just bought a Nikon F from eBay ... do they learn what we know or do they bite the bullet and pay the price for their developing and scanning needs?

Old 07-27-2016   #18
John Bragg

Quote:
We are the lucky ones but what about the dewy eyed hipster who has just bought a Nikon F from eBay ... do they learn what we know or do they bite the bullet and pay the price for their developing and scanning needs?
Good point Keith. I hope they do what we did and start off using commercial d&p until the real bug bites and they then realise how much they are missing by doing that. We can but hope and help where needed ....

Old 07-27-2016   #19
Faintandfuzzy

Quote:
I use 110 film all the time. Gotta keep my Pentax Auto 110 and Diana Mini 110 well fed.

Old 07-27-2016   #20
Huss

Quote:
they'll pay someone to do it for them as they won't have the time for it with all their kombucha home brewing.

Old 07-27-2016   #21
rfaspen

Mmmmmm. Kombucha.

Old 07-27-2016   #22
peterm1

While it is technically true that films are a physical form of storage of images that can last for a long time if correctly stored I find the argument this makes film superior (also made in the article that formed the basis of this thread) a bit misleading. Because the assumption that they will be correctly stored is a big "if". And of course physical storage is only half the problem. Access is in some ways even more problematic -stuff gets lost 'cos no one knows what is there!

Truth is, I know that 99.9% of my film based images were either thrown out already or are stored in a box in a garage where I never look at them. Because correct storage is problematic. One day, probably when I am dead, they will be thrown out too most likely sight unseen. Films are very bulky and inconvenient to store and unless carefully cataloged (itself a slow and difficult task so usually never undertaken properly) are difficult to view.

More over, usually there is only one copy of the image kept - the original negative or maybe the print. Which makes it vulnerable to loss by fire, flood etc. What goes for my personal store of images goes much more for images made by big firms who may have millions of images. So how do organizations like Time Life deal with this - they digitize their film based images. Images digitized and put into the public digital domain will last for much longer are randomly accessible by anyone given access and are also infinitely replicatable without quality loss.

Maybe this cannot exactly be said for images on someone's home PC which is itself susceptible to loss unless backed up but that still does not negate digital's other benefits described above.

BTW much is often made of the argument that as technology moves forward digital images saved in todays common formats may no longer be viewable. This argument is also made in this article/thread. This is an argument of someone who does not understand digital technology. Has no one heard of conversion software? Surely if that ever were to happen, someone will write an app that can be run over the images in the old, archaic format to update them into the new format. It is a trivial thing to do if the data is intact in the old format. Not only that, the conversion will certainly be done in bulk and at high speed, something that is never possible with film. After all I have done exactly this kind of thing with scores of DVDs I own in order to have the convenience of storing them on a hard drive to access and view on my smart TV after converting from .vob files to .avi files. And of course such conversion software for images is already available to convert proprietary (Nikon, Canon etc) RAW files to .JPG or even to convert between RAW file types such as from .NEX to .DNG files.) ITS NOT AN ISSUE!

There is a place for film images along side digital and if people want to shoot film good luck to them, they have my sincere best wishes. But truth is its a tiny niche and likelier will become more so over time. Meanwhile digital technology will just go on getting better and more accessible to the masses.

Old 07-27-2016   #23
sjw617
Panoramist

A 5 percentage rise in 2 years sounds more like people here stocking up just in case than a resurgence.

Old 07-27-2016   #24
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post

Maybe this cannot exactly be said for images on someone's home PC which is itself susceptible to loss unless backed up but that still does not negate digital's other benefits described above.

BTW much is often made of the argument that as technology moves forward digital images saved in todays common formats may no longer be viewable. This argument is also made in this article/thread. This is an argument of someone who does not understand digital technology. Has no one heard of conversion software? Surely if that ever were to happen, someone will write an app that can be run over the images in the old, archaic format to update them into the new format. It is a trivial thing to do if the data is intact in the old format. Not only that, the conversion will certainly be done in bulk and at high speed, something that is never possible with film. After all I have done exactly this kind of thing with scores of DVDs I own in order to have the convenience of storing them on a hard drive to access and view on my smart TV after converting from .vob files to .avi files. And of course such conversion software for images is already available to convert proprietary (Nikon, Canon etc) RAW files to .JPG or even to convert between RAW file types such as from .NEX to .DNG files.) ITS NOT AN ISSUE!

There is a place for film images along side digital and if people want to shoot film good luck to them, they have my sincere best wishes. But truth is its a tiny niche and likelier will become more so over time. Meanwhile digital technology will just go on getting better and more accessible to the masses.
It probably doesn't matter anyway, since the vast majority of digital images have likely already been lost/abandoned. The thing that I find depressing about digital photography is how many people will grow up with practically no record of their life, despite how many photos they've taken/had taken. Because the majority of people never print them or back them up. They get posted on a website or emailed to relatives, and then forgotten about. And then they're gone. In a decade or two, they may as well have not taken any in the first place.

Ektachrome
Old 07-27-2016   #25
enasniearth

Ektachrome

Photomoof is right ,
I do miss ektachrome
That and hie b&w infrared .

An old blues song

"A tree grows in my backyard ,
It only grows at night,
It's branches are all twisted ,
It's leaves afraid of light ."

Old 07-27-2016   #26
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

Quote:
You are correct - those and other slow selling emulsions are no more and we me miss them all. Back in the days of yore, I never shot any Kodak Tech Pan even though I always wanted to. Now I no longer have the chance to give Tech Pan a shakedown cruise. :-(

However: Let us not overlook the fact that B&H currently offers 206 options in rollfilm, while Freestyle Photo currently offers 171 options in rollfilm. That doesn't exactly sound like film as a whole is gasping its last breath...

Old 07-27-2016   #27
newsgrunt

I'm honestly getting tired of these repetitive stories. I mean really, who cares ? We use film and that's all that matters. It comes. It goes. We still shoot film until the last man standing comes knocking. Are we that insecure that we need to trumpet every 'film is on the rebound' story ?

Old 07-27-2016   #28
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsgrunt View Post
I'm honestly getting tired of these repetitive stories. I mean really, who cares ? We use film and that's all that matters. It comes. It goes. We still shoot film until the last man standing comes knocking. Are we that insecure that we need to trumpet every 'film is on the rebound' story ?
Couldn`t agree more.
I too fail to see the point of such articles other than for marketing purposes .

I use both digital and film .

Old 07-28-2016   #29
jsrockit

Quote:
I think it's always written by someone who feels they have discovered something. The unique taste of millions.

Old 07-28-2016   #30
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

In Hindsight I think 'resurgence' may have been a better choice than 'stunning come back!'

Old 07-28-2016   #31
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

I don't care if it's the under-30 year olds or it its the grey-haired dreamers that are buying and shooting film ... as far as I'm concerned, any news like this is GOOD news.

Old 07-31-2016   #32
KM-25

Quote:
I'm honestly getting tired of these repetitive stories. I mean really, who cares ?
I care,

I not only need film to stick around but I want more people to use it so I look at these articles as a form of advertising, reaching new customers by re-branding the message.

There is a time and place for repetition and the promotion of the niche of film is most certainly one of them.

Old 07-31-2016   #33
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Perhaps some brave camera company will start making affordable film cameras again.

I hope you didn't destroy all the dies and machinery, Kobayashi-san...

Chris

Old 10-09-2016   #34
mslatfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleo View Post
That article is a big zero.
Some guy yapping on a bar stool.
Speaking of some guy on a bar stool. Has anyone seen this?

https://www.borderstan.com/2016/08/2...r-florida-ave/

It's off topic, but I haven't run into the article here on RFF yet

Old 10-10-2016   #35
thawkins
thawkins

Film is a niche item. No doubt about that. I shoot far more megapixels than film. However my Nikon DSLR is only a computer that takes pictures. When one uses an SRT101, M3 or Retina one has to be a photographer. Film and ancient mechanical cameras help maintain photography skills. My film comes from Freestyle and is processed by Dwaynes in Kansas.

Old 10-10-2016   #36
JP Owens

Traditional floodlights, I noticed, have disappeared around town here over the last couple of years. Replaced by traditional looking fixtures that have a quarter size flat "dot" in them that put out a thousand watts of light. Technology eventually eats everything. I'm glad film is still having its moment. Would be sad to see it completely disappear.

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 10-10-2016   #37
farlymac
PF McFarland

One thing I've noticed in the last few months is a rise in the bid prices for camera gear. Could just be cyclical, but every once in a while I'll run across someone who is just getting into film photography, and sound serious about it, asking about where to find good cameras.

PF

Old 10-10-2016   #38
Bill Clark

I hope you folks are correct. I would like the film industry to continue.

But I also see, to me, it seems like the next generation has just a smattering of people who enjoy making photos using film.

But I hope film products stick around a while longer.

Old 10-10-2016   #39
David Hughes

Hi,

It seems to be thriving here...

Not much of a photo but I couldn't use flash and just grabbed it yesterday.

Regards, David

Old 10-10-2016   #40
Cameron
Shoot me, not film

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
Welcome news, I wish a few more pros would use film. I personally don't like most of their new work.
I think a lot of pros still use film in the fashion industry.