Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Scale Focus 35's

Scale Focus 35's Though not rangefinders, scale focus 35's are 1st cousins. This forum includes such popular gems as the Rollei 35's, Petri 35's, and the Olympus XA-4.

Review: Voigtlander Vito II
Old 07-13-2016   #1
eckmanmj

Review: Voigtlander Vito II

I recently completed a review of the wonderful Voigtlander Vito II. My example is from around 1951 and has a Prontor-S shutter and Color-Skopar lens.

This camera was a direct competitor to the Retina I types 013 and 015, but does it compare to that camera? Check out the review to find out.

http://www.mikeeckman.com/2016/07/vo...-vito-ii-1951/

Old 07-14-2016   #2
Joao
Negativistic forever

Mike
I enjoyed your comprehensive review of the Vito II; I read it with pleasure and cannot but agree with your impression about this great little camera.
I am the lucky owner of a Vito II (bought it broken and found a good repairman able to ressuscitate it with parts from another camera). It performs flawlessly and it is indeed a reliable camera.
My sample has a cold shoe which I use to attach a rangefinder (Voigtlander - what else ?); it is quite useful as I am not good in estimating distances.
I ignore if this cold shoe is easily removable, but as I don’t intend to remove it that is not a problem for me
Two pictures of the camera with and without the clip-on rangefinder

Thank you for your text
Regards
Joao

Old 07-19-2016   #3
eckmanmj

I am glad you enjoyed the review Joao! The Vito II is quite an excellent camera and I hope more people take a chance on them as they're one of the finest examples of a 35mm folding camera!

Old 07-19-2016   #4
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Voigtländer certainly made some wonderful cameras back when. Nice review, thank you, and some nice photographs too.

Some time in the past twenty years (exactly when I can't recall!), I had a Vito B for several years, not the II. My local camera technician is/was a Voigtländer enthusiast ... He restored it to nearly MINT condition. What a delight to use it was! Simple, solid, with an excellent lens. I sold it to a photographer in New Zealand whom I'd met on-line; as far as I know, she's still using it.

I have a Perkeo II now, the 6x6 sibling of the Vito II—Another great camera to shoot with. Fred restored it for me too. I suspect I'll be keeping this one for a while ... :-)

G

Old 07-19-2016   #5
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

That type of removable cold shoe on top the Vito II would be great for the Canon 7.

Old 07-19-2016   #6
Raoul_Volfoni

Thank you for this very comprehensive review.
I love the Vito II and have been a happy owner for 20some years now. Lovely little camera and very effective. Mine is not in as good condition as the ones shown in the pictures but it works well.
I love the fact that I can put it in a pocket and quickly draw it whenever I feel like it.
And I never knew the cold shoe was removable, so thanks for that too...

Cold shoe in the Vito II
Old 07-19-2016   #7
Joao
Negativistic forever

Cold shoe in the Vito II

As I said, I don't know if the cold shoe can be taken or how to do it; considering that it covers the Voigtlander name I assume it is possible to remove it (but I am not sure about that). It does not slide and doesn't seem to have moving parts. It will stay on my camera, and I'm happy with that
I also have a Vito B which is another small jewell - not as portable as the Vito II. The quality of the pictures is similar IMO.
Regards
Joao

Old 07-20-2016   #8
Raoul_Volfoni

Thx.
I was not planning to remove the cold shoe anyway.
The Vito B is the one with a rigid lens (not folding I mean) ?
I really love that feature on the II, it is one of the reason it is one of my favourite small scale focus camera. I use it much more than my Rollei 35 for example.

Really an underrated camera, imho
Cheers.

Old 07-21-2016   #9
Raoul_Volfoni

For good measure, an old picture taken at dawn with the Vito.

Old 08-08-2016   #10
eckmanmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul_Volfoni View Post
For good measure, an old picture taken at dawn with the Vito.

Beautiful picture!

Old 08-08-2016   #11
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

The maker also made a cold-shoe for the Vitessa.

I wonder how easy it would be to modify this type of cold-shoe and attach it to the Canon 7 using velcro tape?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voigtlander-...UAAOSwzLlXhT24

Old 08-23-2016   #12
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao View Post
As I said, I don't know if the cold shoe can be taken or how to do it; considering that it covers the Voigtlander name I assume it is possible to remove it (but I am not sure about that). It does not slide and doesn't seem to have moving parts. It will stay on my camera, and I'm happy with that
I also have a Vito B which is another small jewell - not as portable as the Vito II. The quality of the pictures is similar IMO.
Regards
Joao
As you can see in Mike's photo of his camera, there are two little nubs either side of the viewfinder. The accessory shoe mount will have two indentations scooped out at the same points. When the shoe is installed, it grips those nubs so it doesn't slide left or right, or come off unexpectedly. Has to be one of the hardest accessories to find these days.

I like my Perkeo II so much, I just had to get the Vito II as a traveling companion for it. The shutter is a bit sluggish, so it needs a cleaning. And the original owner tried to scratch his name and address into the top. Luckily, it's a hard chrome, and doesn't show very well unless you give it a real good look from a particular angle.

Great write-up on the camera, Mike, though I can't see most of the accompanying illustrations/photos (only the captions show on a large percentage of them).

PF

Old 08-23-2016   #13
eckmanmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
Great write-up on the camera, Mike, though I can't see most of the accompanying illustrations/photos (only the captions show on a large percentage of them).

PF
Thank you sir for the kind words!

I think I have fixed the image loading problem. I had been experimenting with an image caching feature in Wordpress that was supposed to speed up image loading, but it had the opposite effect of breaking them.

Would you mind trying to visit the site again and let me know if you can see all the images now?

Old 08-30-2016   #14
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckmanmj View Post
Thank you sir for the kind words!

I think I have fixed the image loading problem. I had been experimenting with an image caching feature in Wordpress that was supposed to speed up image loading, but it had the opposite effect of breaking them.

Would you mind trying to visit the site again and let me know if you can see all the images now?
Yes, I can see all the images, and the page loaded faster.

PF