Sigma SD Quattro pricing
Old 06-24-2016   #1
Spanik

Sigma SD Quattro pricing

Have you read the announced pricing of the Sigma SD Quattro? If you can believe Dpreview it would be at $799 for the body alone!

Now I had said to myself I would not get this at $2000 or whatever idiot price they would ask like they did when the DPxm and SD1m came out. But this? It is completely reasonable! I might even get one...

Can someone confir this is not 01/04? I mean seriously, a Hasselblad for less than $10000 and now a brand new Sigma fovean for less than $1000.

Did I just die and didn't notice?

Old 06-24-2016   #2
Sym101

Looks like it's not an April fool's joke. B&H are taking preorders for the Sigma SD Quattro at $799 now.

Old 06-24-2016   #3
KismetSky

$999 for the sd Quattro and 30mm 1.4 Art lens kit. Sounds like a very competent kit for $1k.

Old 06-24-2016   #4
Spanik

If it was with a 24/2.8 OS I'd order one right now.

Old 06-24-2016   #5
Eric T

Does anyone know when the Sigma SD Quattro will be released?

Old 06-24-2016   #6
nlubis

Last I read, July.

Should I assume that the SDQ H, would need a full frame lens?

Old 06-25-2016   #7
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Wow - I'm impressed at the pricing!

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro1, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 09-21-2016   #8
dfatty

just noticed the sigma quattro sd with 30/1.4 is in stock at b&h. must . . . resist . . .

Old 09-21-2016   #9
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfatty View Post
just noticed the sigma quattro sd with 30/1.4 is in stock at b&h. must . . . resist . . .
Yeah, me too.

Old 09-22-2016   #10
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

Well, there's a review up on digrev's alternate channel.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cRL_rSyXoY
and basically, it's a dud..

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 09-22-2016   #11
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdhaar View Post
and basically, it's a dud..
a dud? In what way?

Old 09-22-2016   #12
jarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdhaar View Post
digrev's alternate channel..
could watch about half of this vid. its not as annoying as their main channel.

Old 09-22-2016   #13
dfatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
a dud? In what way?
i'm three minutes into it (first talked about design with valid critiques) and he's finally trying to shoot it. for sports/action. annoying. hey, let's take a honda civic out to the racetrack and complain it's too slow.

i'm now 9 minutes in and the next type of shooting is street. lots of complaints of speed and AF. no comment on IQ yet other than to mention foveon layers.

now finished, no comment on IQ other than superfine mode isn't good for moving objects and high iso isn't good. would be nice to see a comparison of IQ to other manufacturers APSC or even FF cams.

basically, all the same complaints of sigma bodies, with no comment on the IQ. i guess it's confirmation that the bodies haven't gotten better, though. but without a comment on IQ, i think it's missing the point a bit. ymmv.

but thanks for posting the video, it's the first review i've seen. the weird body design and placement of buttons doesn't look good.

Old 09-22-2016   #14
Santtu Määttänen
Visual Poet

If there's Nikon F-mount mod for it (like there's for earlier Sigma dSLR:s), I might be tempted. Otherwise not so much, too much money in glass..

Old 09-22-2016   #15
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfatty View Post
i'm three minutes into it (first talked about design with valid critiques) and he's finally trying to shoot it. for sports/action. annoying. hey, let's take a honda civic out to the racetrack and complain it's too slow.

i'm now 9 minutes in and the next type of shoot is street. lots of complaints of speed and AF. no comment on IQ yet other than to mention foveon layers.
Oh so they used it for the wrong purposes.

Old 09-22-2016   #16
dfatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Oh so they used it for the wrong purposes.
yup. i updated my previous post with more info.

Old 10-05-2016   #17
Samouraï

What a garbage DigitalRev review. Said nothing about what I wanted to know. The guys has no idea what a Sigma Foveon camera is or can do.

At one point he says that the bokeh of the lens is "almost too creamy...to the point of being curdled." What does that mean? That the lens is too good? Why criticize creamy bokeh? And how is that relevant to the SD Quattro itself?

Old 10-05-2016   #18
jsrockit

Just because someone reviews a camera on the internet doesn't mean they know what they are talking about.

Old 12-23-2016   #19
jsrockit

http://photorumors.com/2016/12/23/si...der-in-the-us/

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20
AJS Lamb

I've just bought a used SD Quattro and 30mm f1.4 Art so there's one person out there who didn't like it. On the other hand, I love it.

I'm treating it as a medium format camera loaded with 100 ISO slide film. In fact, I haven't even tried it yet at higher ISO levels.

I think everyone knows it's not a camera appropriate for sports or action. The reviewers who gripe about this are missing the point.

To my ageing eyes, the image quality is an improvement on the DP2M that I owned (and gave up on).

The auto focus isn't quick. The lens is terrific. I like it.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #21
dfatty

thanks for the review. interesting to hear that IQ may be better than dp2m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS Lamb View Post
I've just bought a used SD Quattro and 30mm f1.4 Art so there's one person out there who didn't like it. On the other hand, I love it.

I'm treating it as a medium format camera loaded with 100 ISO slide film. In fact, I haven't even tried it yet at higher ISO levels.

I think everyone knows it's not a camera appropriate for sports or action. The reviewers who gripe about this are missing the point.

To my ageing eyes, the image quality is an improvement on the DP2M that I owned (and gave up on).

The auto focus isn't quick. The lens is terrific. I like it.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #22
AJS Lamb

Dean,

It's very early days and I'm not a technical hot-shot on this stuff but, so far, I prefer the look of the images I'm getting with the SD Quattro compared to the DP2M. I've had a few prints done and, personally-speaking, they are a definite improvement. Interestingly, the guys at the lab commented favourably on the files and I hadn't mentioned what camera they were taken on.

All my pro work is done on Canon and, occasionally Nikon, but my personal work was mostly on film. The SDQ has made me change my mind, my film days are coming to an end!

Oh, by the way, I even like the sound of the shutter. Silly but true.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #23
dfatty

ultimately, it's how happy *you* are with it that matters, and it sounds like you are! for me, the merrills really slowed my film shooting, so i know how you feel.

Quote:
Dean,

It's very early days and I'm not a technical hot-shot on this stuff but, so far, I prefer the look of the images I'm getting with the SD Quattro compared to the DP2M. I've had a few prints done and, personally-speaking, they are a definite improvement. Interestingly, the guys at the lab commented favourably on the files and I hadn't mentioned what camera they were taken on.

All my pro work is done on Canon and, occasionally Nikon, but my personal work was mostly on film. The SDQ has made me change my mind, my film days are coming to an end!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #24
jarski

Quote:
nice to see someone actually owning and using these new Sigma's. any more info for us RFFers to read? hows the camera operation, focusing speed etc? am personally curious and had SD15 in the past, but the options these days are quite overwhelming and so many brands and models to choose from.

edit: was googling about and learned these cameras can save DNG raw files. big plus imo. link:
Quote:
Lossless compression RAW data (14-bit), DNG (No compression RAW Data 12-bit)*, JPEG (Exif2.3), RAW+JPEG

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #25
AJS Lamb

"nice to see someone actually owning and using these new Sigma's. any more info for us RFFers to read?'

One of the big plusses for me is the EVF. I didn't enjoy using the poor quality screen on the back of the DP2M.

I note that a number of reviewers have complained about the placement of the finder in the middle of the camera. However, as someone who uses his left eye, it's no worse than many other cameras on the market.

My main use of this camera will be for portraits. This means that the slow AF isn't the deal breaker it would be for others. In my limited use so far of the camera the focus is just about fast enough. Truthfully, it's snail-like but I can live with it.

In the next week or so, I've got a portrait shoot coming up that I'm really excited about. I'm keen to see to how the SDQ fares in a real-world scenario. I want to use the Sigma for this shoot purely for the look of the image I can think I can get with it.

I can't say a lot more really. I'm treating the SDQ as though it were a Rollei TLR loaded with 100 ISO slide film. I wouldn't try and shoot say sports or a fashion show with a Rollei and I won't use the Sigma like that either. The SDQ has a very limited range but within that it's capable of extremely pleasing results.