Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Film vs Digital

Film vs Digital Discussions about the relative advantages and disadvantages of Film vs Digital are important as they can help us understand our choices as photographers. Each medium has strengths and weaknesses which can best be used in a given circumstance. While this makes for an interesting and useful discussion, DO NOT attack others who disagree with you. Forum rules are explained in the RFF FAQ linked at the top of each page.

wedding backup on film
Old 05-27-2016   #1
matteiflex

wedding backup on film

Hi all,
So I was asked as a friend of a friend to photograph a wedding. Usual thing, Bride has no money- blah blah blah . I would really appreciate your thoughts the equipment I intend to use.
Main body Nikon D700 / 50mm 1.8g /35mm 1.8g / 105mm 2.5 ai /SB700.
Back up body ??????? Am I mad to use film? I have a leica m2 and a rolleiflex and tri-x.
As an old guy I have more years spent with these film cameras than digital. Also I find I can print as easy from each medium...so I could give the bride a few of 8x10 or A4's as well as a disk of scans/digital edits.
Just am I mad to even consider using film and vintage cameras?
Thanks for any help.

Old 05-27-2016   #2
Jon Buffington

A wedding I shot last fall, I used my canon 7ne, canon A1, and leice iiif along with my 5dmkii. Though the 5dmkii was the main body, I found the images from my 7ne (loaded with portra 400) and my iiif (loaded with triX then hp5+) to be much more pleasing. I ended up using a lot of them in the final online album. I would say your not mad. Use what you like and what you are comfortable with.

Example from the wedding on the portra/7ne and one from the leica iiif/hp5+

Old 05-27-2016   #3
matteiflex

Thanks for the advice Jon, Good couple of photo's there.
Nice to know you have successfully done what I was thinking of.
You know my wife always says my film photo's look "better" than my digital prints, no matter how good I think they are.
The Portra shot looks really nice. I think i'll use some for this upcoming wedding.

Old 05-27-2016   #4
Jon Buffington

That was portra 400 rated at 200, developed at home with a unicolor c-41 kit and scanned on a Kodak pakon f135+

Old 05-28-2016   #5
matteiflex

Wow, good work Jon. How does portra respond for you rated @200? It looks great in the photo above.

Old 05-28-2016   #6
Jon Buffington

I like it at 200. It has such a wide exposure latitude that I purposely shoot at 200 or greater in this situation. I would rather overexpose than underexpose so less to worry about in tricky lighting situations where the meter maybe fooled and underexpose. In practice, I could compensate but in a wedding, I tend to be rushed and concentrating more on other things so can make exposure errors.

Old 07-13-2016   #7
Russ

I always overexpose my Portra films by 1/3 a stop (160 @ 125 and 400 @ 320) and it always delivers superb results. Portra 400 is an amazing film. Especially when you consider it's speed. These are Portra 400 snaps, with no post processing.

"A photograph that mirrors reality, cannot compare to one that reflects the spirit"