Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M10, 240 family, M-P, M60

Old 11-26-2016   #321
Doug

Thanks, Vince, I think I will like it a lot. I never developed the habit of checking the screen after taking a photo, and OTOH have been bedeviled by inadvertently actuating controls while handling the camera. So the M-D will be a relief from that, and I won't miss the screen either!

Old 11-26-2016   #322
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Good luck with it, Doug.

G

Old 11-27-2016   #323
Doug

Thanks, Godfrey... Like you I take walks around my neighborhood and snap what catches my eye!

Old 11-27-2016   #324
Bille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Some of this urge comes from the absence of all three of my digital M cameras for service in New Jersey...(...) after nearly 6 months I'm missing them.
Is this the turnaround time one has to expect from Leica NJ now? Is this a joke?

Old 11-27-2016   #325
willie_901

Yikes... six months?

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 11-27-2016   #326
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I've sent equipment to Leica NJ for service from time to time over the past thirty-forty years. Usually, I call ahead and ask when I can expect the gear back first. They've always given me a realistic estimate and the equipment has usually been back before the estimated time.

G

Old 11-27-2016   #327
Doug

In this instance I took the gear in to the regional Leica Store and had them handle it. One other digital Leica and lens came back within a few weeks.

Old 12-07-2016   #328
Doug

The M-D arrived while I was gone on vacation. I was surprised at the packaging... boxes within boxes within boxes. I assembled the bits and turned on the switch, to see "bc" in the VF diodes. I had expected the battery to be about half charged, but it was way down. After charging, I formatted a 16Mb card in the computer with SD Formatter, then put the card in another Leica and reset the frame count (I like to restart the count at zero for each "batch") and formatted it again there. Then to the M-D... I mounted a 50 Summicron, looked up the arcane method of date/time setting and got that set.

Now some trouble... I turned on the main switch to see what the exposure metering said. Flashing underexposure warning, at any shutter speed and aperture setting! I set it aside to ponder this, and later reviewed the manual's set up instructions again, must have left something out. It occurred to me to look at the mating surfaces of the lens flanges... looked good, reseated the lens intending to try a different lens later, but then noticed the light meter was responding normally. Well, interesting, a relief from concern.

I like the way the camera handles, so I think we'll get along fine.

So ready to go.... But it's unpleasant outside... Light dusting of snow, 27 deg, gloomy. And then add the shock from just returning from Hawaii where it was 80 deg...

Old 12-07-2016   #329
Vince Lupo

Doug you'll have to let us know how many times you chimp with the M-D -- I still do from time to time

Old 12-08-2016   #330
mcfingon
Western Australia

You should have kept going west after Hawaii Doug. It's warm in Australia now. All the best and I hope you get lots of holiday photos with the M-D.

Old 12-08-2016   #331
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lupo View Post
Doug you'll have to let us know how many times you chimp with the M-D -- I still do from time to time
Will do... though it's unlikely. I like to review the 'take' on the screen at the end of the day while making notes, so I'll have to do that some other way. But I have the screen turned off while out and about, and it's rare for me to look at the screen then. Well, except to occasionally show my better half something I just shot... but then that's the very definition of chimping isn't it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfingon View Post
You should have kept going west after Hawaii Doug. It's warm in Australia now. All the best and I hope you get lots of holiday photos with the M-D.
Thanks! That's an idea... I like warm. And they even speak a variety of the same language, too, convenient!

Any thoughts about the light meter issue? I wouldn't have thought lens seating would have that effect... It did occur to me that if the camera's p-ram battery was as exhausted as the main battery, this might have caused wonky behavior until that internal battery recovered...

Old 12-08-2016   #332
Doug

Went out for a very short walk, 25° and windy with light snow
Made these two shots. The first one I noted the tire had suffered a dog visit, and the tire says "No Va" on the sidewall, appropriate for a semi-dead VW Beetle. The sharp-eyed resident popped out to see what I was doing to his precious... says the tire goes flat periodically, and pointed out I had the lens cap on. He he. Try again with brain engaged.

The second is the workshop of a hotrodder with his collection of signs...

Both f/4, APO 50 Summicron, though the camera recorded f/4.8 in EXIF. 1/60 then 1/90 Quiet!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 161217-01S6k.jpg (36.7 KB, 452 views)
File Type: jpg 161217-02S6k.jpg (44.2 KB, 453 views)

Old 12-08-2016   #333
Vince Lupo

Doug I have no clue about the meter, but is that 16GB card minimum 95mb/s? If not, you might want to consider getting one with that minimum write speed. That is what's recommended for the camera.

Old 12-08-2016   #334
Doug

Hi Vince, thanks... it's a SanDisk Extreme class 10, 30Mb/s. I suppose a faster card would be desirable for bursts on C mode? To prevent the switch moving to C, I usually apply a stick-on cabinet door bumper with about 1/3 cut away...

Old 12-08-2016   #335
Vince Lupo

Quote:
Hi Vince, thanks... it's a SanDisk Extreme class 10, 30Mb/s. I suppose a faster card would be desirable for bursts on C mode? To prevent the switch moving to C, I usually apply a stick-on cabinet door bumper with about 1/3 cut away...
Helps with startup time, file writing, everything basically!

Old 01-18-2017   #336
asiafish

I've had my M-D for a week now after selling my trusty M-E. I was planning to skip the entire M240 generation, but every time I visited the Leica Store in San Francisco I couldn't resist the urge to fondle the M-D.

I bought mine very gently used for $4800 and am thrilled with it. Here are some of my first shots with the M-D. The first four are with the 50mm f/2 Summicron v5 and the last three with the 28mm f/2 Summicron ASPH v1.

L1000024 by Andrew F, on Flickr

L1000015 by Andrew F, on Flickr

L1000011 by Andrew F, on Flickr

L1000003 by Andrew F, on Flickr

L1000058 by Andrew F, on Flickr

L1000114 by Andrew F, on Flickr

L1000083 by Andrew F, on Flickr

Old 02-18-2017   #337
Vince Lupo

Haven't shot much with my Leicas in a while, but managed to squeeze a couple of shots out of the M-D.

Rick2017
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Steve2017
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Old 02-21-2017   #338
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Nice work, Vince!

Old 02-21-2017   #339
Vince Lupo

Many thanks Godfrey - been a while since I've used the camera, felt good to put it to use.

BTW I see in the classifieds here that the RFF community will have one less M-D user. Or at least it could soon have a replacement user

Old 02-21-2017   #340
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Many thanks Godfrey - been a while since I've used the camera, felt good to put it to use.

BTW I see in the classifieds here that the RFF community will have one less M-D user. Or at least it could soon have a replacement user
Yes, saw that.

In the end, it's "just another camera" ... Like for all cameras, some folks will like it, some will not; some will be inspired by it, others not. If you're not delighted by it, sell and move on.

For me, it is darn near perfect for the majority of what I like to do with a camera. For the rest ... well, I have other cameras. :-)

G

Old 02-21-2017   #341
Vince Lupo

Yes I sure do love it too - just feels right, meters well, and has the 'bare essentials'.

Old 03-01-2017   #342
Vince Lupo

I actually did a commercial assignment with the M-D a couple of days ago. It was for a local magazine, and it was a portrait assignment to accompany a story.

It felt good and appropriate to use the M-D (as opposed to my D4), as the subject seemed right for it. The magazine was very pleased.

Here are two examples:

Mindy6-BW
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Mindy9
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Old 03-27-2017   #343
Vince Lupo

I'm currently out West on a 4-week road trip, and I brought the M-D along for the ride.

This is at the Ghost Ranch in northwest New Mexico -- just had to get a shot of myself in this amazing landscape!

Ghost Ranch Vinny
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Md
Old 03-27-2017   #344
hap

Md

I would like an MD. However, I have a few older lenses , some LTM, who's focus idiosyncrocies can not be trusted. Feel the need for Live View.

Old 03-27-2017   #345
Doug

Happy to see M-Ds in action! I've been back from Cuba for a couple of weeks now, all photos there shot with my M-D and 28 Summicron. Aiming to pack for absolutely minimal value and quantity of stuff, I'd earlier figured on taking the Pentax K-3 and a 20-40mm zoom. After the M-D arrived I changed my mind, taking it along with the 50mm and 28mm Summicrons. In retrospect, a good choice. Did not use the 50.

I don't recall ever looking at the (missing) screen; per custom, it just doesn't occur to me. I do like to see the ISO dial on the back, an immediate visual reminder or opportunity to change, like shutter and aperture. With it so easy to change, I don't miss Auto ISO. So this camera is a fine choice for me, very comfortable to use.

I made about 800 exposures on one 32Gb card with lots of room to spare. Plenty of opportunity every day to charge the battery... on 220v mains! I took a voltage converter with plug adapter, good thing as the one hotel supplied a non-working converter and the other hotel none at all. Never needed the second battery, as I commonly turn off the main switch when not actively shooting. Seeing an opportunity, I turn on the switch and by the time the camera is at my eye it's ready to go.

One question I had about file numbering got answered: When formatting a card I set the file count back to zero in another M, not being able to do that in the M-D, that file count info stays with the other camera, not the card. The M-D will name files with numbers in sequence forever! So, no point in setting it back for this camera, just use a different sequence of actions in DNG Rename later.

I did not take a laptop so all pics stayed on the card in the camera, no chance of misplacing it. I will be working on processing in a few weeks.

Oh, and as to the time for Leica to service my cameras, the M240 arrived back in January... June 20 to Jan 20... 7 months. The two M8 bodies arrived today with no notation as to what was done, nor what parts they had been waiting for while in Germany... 9 months. They both had what looked like column faults, so perhaps it was more serious and they got new sensors.

Old 03-28-2017   #346
Vince Lupo

Doug great review of using your M-D in Cuba! I'm really looking forward to seeing your results.

I don't know about you, but I find that this camera 'meters' very well -- I'm normally keeping it on Aperture Priority and I don't recall ever having an exposure that was wildly off. I did buy a great spot meter to use with the camera, but it's as big as the camera itself, so I haven't 'paired' them as of yet.

I'm going to try to shoot exclusively with the M-D over the next couple of days (I'm heading up to Seattle from here in NW New Mexico). I've been using the Monochrom 246 for much of this trip.

Old 03-28-2017   #347
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Good to hear you are both liking your M-Ds so much. I'm absolutely delighted with it ... It and the M4-2 are now my only M bodies. The M-D's metering seems bang on the money for me and everything about it just does exactly what I want, no more and no less. It is, for me, the perfect M digital body; it's the camera I grab-n-go with the most.

I may have to buy a second M-D body while they're still available new and stash it in the closet "just in case". :-)

G

Old 03-28-2017   #348
Hogarth Ferguson

I really want one of these, to me, it is the perfect camera, and while I cannot afford one, it sure would nice if you guys stopped making them so appealing and just trashed them for a bit. Thanks!

Old 03-28-2017   #349
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Good to hear you are both liking your M-Ds so much....
I may have to buy a second M-D body while they're still available new and stash it in the closet "just in case". :-)

G
Godfrey, glad you're enthusiastic over your M-D! Mine has been my daily choice even after the Cuba experience, in order to become even more familiar with it.

I've been a great believer in buying things in pairs. I recall a well-known personal-defense shooting instructor saying that when you settle on a favorite piece, go right out and buy a second one... You may need it if the first is in for service or is taken as evidence in a legal case.

And it's a good release for an accumulation of GAS. I have two each M8, Contax G2, Minolta CLE, Hexar RF, Bronica RF645, Pentax 67II, Pentax 645NII, MX, ME Super, LX, K2, Spotmatic ES, etc, and I can reasonably consider the M240 and M-D as a pair... So many favorites... Go for it!

Old 03-28-2017   #350
Doug

Vince, hope you enjoy your travels to the "great north-wet". Congrats on your exhibition at Leica Store Bellevue! I'm far enough away that I've only been in the store once, to leave off gear for service. I've established a good relationship there with Ford, who has excellently handled the service, and shipped the finished jobs over the hill to me.

I've been pleased at the M-D's handling of exposure and white-balance. I too have a largish spot meter (Pentax Digital) that I tend not to carry.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #351
Doug

Just now getting some post-processing done on shots with the M-D... Enjoying using it, reflecting that its market is a niche within a niche within a niche!

50 APO Summicron

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #352
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Nice, Doug!

I was doing a quick test of the M-D rangefinder this morning, just for giggles really, and I determined that it was spot on. My test subject was one of my other toys ...

Leica M-D + Summicron-M 50mm f/2
ISO 200 @ f/5.6

... and here's a case illustrating that size really does matter. I need to start working on the 1:18 scale me now.

G

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #353
Doug

Size... That looks like a clothespin at left, providing some scale. The model is pretty small - enlargement through cropping? RF looks right on for the LF tire!

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #354
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Size... That looks like a clothespin at left, providing some scale. The model is pretty small - enlargement through cropping? RF looks right on for the LF tire!
It's 1:18 scale, about a foot long on the shelf. The exposure was cropped to approximately 50%. My focusing target was the left front tire's forward rim arc and tire tread, so you concur with my judgement that the rangefinder and lens is well calibrated for accuracy...

G

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #355
Vince Lupo

My mother making cherry cheesecake for a spontaneous gastronomic throwdown last night:

Making the Cherry Cheesecake
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

I have to say that I'm really not crazy about the colour rendering from the M-D, particularly the skin tones. Very red - or at least more red than they should be.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #356
Doug

I have seen that too sometimes, and then move the Red Hue slider a ways toward orange in Lightroom. I wonder if there's some IR contamination...

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #357
Vince Lupo

Untitled
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #358
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Untitled by Vince Lupo, on Flickr
I like this one, the white lines horizontal, vertical and diagonal and the fence suggest me something rational. Than there is that trailer with all these heads coming out...and this is not a rational view...wow, great photo!
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #359
Vince Lupo

Thanks Robert -- I have to say that it was an unusual scene indeed. I walked around to the other side to see what it was all about, and somehow I preferred this side. Something more mysterious on this side -- like are those people real or not? Believe me, I wondered as I approached it!

One shot early this morning of my loving wife during a walk in the woods:

Birdwatching Riley
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #360
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:

Untitled
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr
Very cool photo, Vince! So many questions it brings to mind, never mind the fun interplay of line, shape, and juxtaposition of a bunch of people all facing away.

G