Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M240 aka Leica M10, M-P, M60

Old 06-08-2016   #81
Vince Lupo

Leica Monochrom 246 instruction book on the left, Leica M-D instruction book on the right. Both German and English are contained within each manual, so divide each in half for the actual size of the instruction manual.

Old 06-08-2016   #82
Vince Lupo

What, you were expecting the first photo from the M-D to be something other than a cat photo????

Millie M-D
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Old 06-09-2016   #83
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Lightroom 6.6 is available now ... and it looks like one of the things that the Lightroom 6.6 update has shipped with is a dedicated camera calibration for the M-D typ 262.

LR 6.6 seems a lot snappier and cleaner than LR 6.5.1. Read the release notes: blogs.adobe.com/... Lightroom 6.6 Release Notes

Old 06-09-2016   #84
jkjod

I have always thought this sort of camera would be the only digital camera I would ever need - my only wish is they would of implemented some sort of wi-fi/iphone/android app to see photos when you needed to. I don't think I'd use that feature very often, but I could see using it for landscape or long exposures. For day to day people photos, or general travel photos, I don't think the screen would be necessary at all. I'm perfectly happy with how my M2 operates in those instances.

I have never used the eye-fi/transcend or wi-fi enabled cards before, would those work in a pinch with the M-D since it only shoots in RAW and no .jpg? Not exactly sure how the cards work..

Old 06-09-2016   #85
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Eye-Fi Pro cards will transmit raw files to a receiving device, but I found it too flakey a system to try to depend upon. It's easy enough to carry the SD card reader for my iPad and transfer files for viewing that way.

Old 06-09-2016   #86
jkjod

Godfrey,

Thats also a valid point - one that seems to works really well as far as I have read on the interwebs.

My only concern was in the field, so hiking someplace, backpacking, etc. Places I normally wouldn't carry an iPad or want to open the camera up to the elements. Again, I don't think this is something I, or maybe most people who find the M-D appealing, would use often - but it would be a nice feature to have.

Old 06-09-2016   #87
airfrogusmc

Sweet Vince. Next; the Mono version?

Old 06-09-2016   #88
Vince Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
Sweet Vince. Next; the Mono version?
Nope don't think so - I like the Mono version I already have

Old 06-09-2016   #89
airfrogusmc

LoL congrats and I am jealous. I am probably going to pick one up to in the next year or so.

Old 06-09-2016   #90
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjod View Post
Godfrey,

Thats also a valid point - one that seems to works really well as far as I have read on the interwebs.

My only concern was in the field, so hiking someplace, backpacking, etc. Places I normally wouldn't carry an iPad or want to open the camera up to the elements. Again, I don't think this is something I, or maybe most people who find the M-D appealing, would use often - but it would be a nice feature to have.
You can get a reader that works with iPhone or Android devices. I used an iStick when I was in Paris.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 06-10-2016   #91
Vince Lupo

Out of curiosity, I was interested in comparing the dimensions of the M-D to a film M body, like the M6. I don't have an M6, but a little online searching revealed these measurements: 138 mm 77 mm 38 mm, 585g. I just measured and weighed the M-D's dimensions and came up with this: 138mm x 79 x 37mm, 696g. So yes, the M-D is just over 100g heavier than the M6, but look at those other numbers -- am I dreaming? Did I just measure the M-D to be thinner than the M6? Is this possible???? The M-D's instruction manual claims the body thickness is 42mm, but I have no idea how they come up with that. Even if I took the frame selector lever and the ISO dial into consideration, I'd only come up with just under 40mm.

Can someone please confirm the M6 dimensions for me? If these numbers are correct, then by gosh, the M-D is actually thinner than the M6 (I honestly can't believe that). I'm measuring the top and bottom plates, edge-to-edge, so perhaps that is not the 'proper' way to measure an M body (Do I need to also include the frame selector lever, ISO dial, eyepiece etc). Please do clue me in if that is not correct.

Old 06-10-2016   #92
maggieo
More Deadly

Without a screen, is there a way to input non-coded lenses? I like my Zeiss glass and old Leica glass.

Old 06-10-2016   #93
pechelman
resu deretsiger

on the M6 weight, I think that may not include the weight of film.

I think film's about ~30g per 36exp canister, some variance depending on film type, so that would bring the functioning M6 weight to ~615g.

So the M-D weighs in at about ~80g more than an M6.

Or to put it another way, the M-D weighs the same as an M6 loaded with film and ~3 extra rolls of 36exp film in your pocket or bag.

Old 06-10-2016   #94
Vince Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieo View Post
Without a screen, is there a way to input non-coded lenses? I like my Zeiss glass and old Leica glass.
No, uncoded lenses cannot be coded. According to the instructions: "They (lenses) can be used regardless of lens features, and whether it does or does not have the 6-bit coding on the bayonet. In the case of lenses with coding, the camera uses the information transmitted to optimize exposure and image data. Even without this additional feature, i.e. when using Leica M lenses without identification, the camera will deliver excellent pictures in most situations."

Old 06-10-2016   #95
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lupo View Post
Out of curiosity, I was interested in comparing the dimensions of the M-D to a film M body, like the M6. I don't have an M6, but a little online searching revealed these measurements: 138 mm 77 mm 38 mm, 585g. I just measured and weighed the M-D's dimensions and came up with this: 138mm x 79 x 37mm, 696g. So yes, the M-D is just over 100g heavier than the M6, but look at those other numbers -- am I dreaming? Did I just measure the M-D to be thinner than the M6? Is this possible???? The M-D's instruction manual claims the body thickness is 42mm, but I have no idea how they come up with that. Even if I took the frame selector lever and the ISO dial into consideration, I'd only come up with just under 40mm.

Can someone please confirm the M6 dimensions for me? If these numbers are correct, then by gosh, the M-D is actually thinner than the M6 (I honestly can't believe that). I'm measuring the top and bottom plates, edge-to-edge, so perhaps that is not the 'proper' way to measure an M body (Do I need to also include the frame selector lever, ISO dial, eyepiece etc). Please do clue me in if that is not correct.

I think you must be mistaken somewhere. I have an M3, M7 and they are much thinner than the M240, which is just a little bit thicker than the MD. (only difference in thickness between MD and M240 is the lcd screen sticking out)

Old 06-10-2016   #96
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
I measure the thickness of the body by the baseplate outside front to rear edge dimensions, 30.5mm for M4-2 and 36.5mm for M-P typ 240. The back surface of the body is a bit thicker on the M4-2 due to the way the film door fit (2-3 mm or so) and the M-P LCD and buttons similar add a few mm to the total thickness, although I try not to grip the camera in those locations. So overall the M-P is about 6-7 mm thicker than the M4-2; the latter is probably the same as the M6 or very close, and the M-D is probably the same as the M-P at the baseplate.

G

Old 06-10-2016   #97
Vince Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I think you must be mistaken somewhere. I have an M3, M7 and they are much thinner than the M240, which is just a little bit thicker than the MD. (only difference in thickness between MD and M240 is the lcd screen sticking out)
Well I don't know what to say about this - unless my ruler is wrong!

Two online sources say the M6 is 38mm thick -- I am assuming now this is in fact not accurate. How are they coming up with that number? I know, I have a hard time believing that the M-D is thinner, but I can't find any other figures for the M6. Something ain't right....

Old 06-10-2016   #98
flyingpalm

The M6 TTL is 32mm thick.

Old 06-10-2016   #99
Vince Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpalm View Post
The M6 TTL is 32mm thick.
Many thanks! Wonder where they're getting the 38mm measurement from? Very odd.

So the difference between the M6 and the M-D is between 4 and 5mm. The length and height seem more or less the same. Not too hateful, I think.

I'd say that if you were used to handling a film M body and you went immediately to the M-D body, you'd probably notice the difference. But, if you're like me (who hasn't touched a film M body in a while), you'd likely pick up the M-D and think that it felt just right. At least I did.

Old 06-10-2016   #100
Emile de Leon

I just measured my M6...its about 33mm thick at the top plate..but when you add in the iso dial and rear door..its about 38mm and 590gm w/strap and no film.
Those digital Leicas are fat lil buggers..and heavy too..

Old 06-10-2016   #101
Vince Lupo

I honestly can't say that the M-D is 'fat'. Based upon your measurement of the M6, with its dial and rear door, it is actually a bit fatter than the M-D (which doesn't have a rear door, and the dial is more or less flush with the back). The top plates are certainly different, but here again, depends on how one measures the 'fatness' of each body.

Old 06-10-2016   #102
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

I do notice the difference between my M6 and my M-P, but it bothers me less that I thought it would. I suspect the M-D feels even better since the LCD and bezel are gone.

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro1, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 06-10-2016   #103
Huss

Thing is where the thickness matters is where you hold the camera while shooting. You don't hold it by the lcd panel or the iso dial. You hold it on the right side corner area with your right hand, while the left hand operates the lens. That is where it matters, and quite plainly the digital Ms are much fatter there than the film Ms.

But, I use both and it doesn't bother me! They're just different.
What did bother me was how much fatter the Nikon DF was compared to my FE/FM2 or F2. Especially since it kinda, very kinda, was meant to be Nikon's attempt at a film camera with digital back.

Old 06-10-2016   #104
Vince Lupo

Yes I'd agree that the true 'thickness' is probably the main 'shell' of the Leica. I think with the M-D, the fact that it doesn't have a screen nor buttons helps enormously in giving the illusion of sveltness. To me, of all the digital M's that I've owned (M9, CCD Monochrom, Monochrom 246 and the M-D), the M-D feels the best.

And no nose grease to worry about

Old 06-10-2016   #105
Emile de Leon

Hey..we used nose grease all the time on scratched negs at the photo lab I used to work at...one finger swipe on the side of your nose..then on the scratched neg...and presto chango...scratch all gone...
Works like a charm...hahaha!

Old 06-10-2016   #106
Vince Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
Hey..we used nose grease all the time on scratched negs at the photo lab I used to work at...one finger swipe on the side of your nose..then on the scratched neg...and presto chango...scratch all gone...
Works like a charm...hahaha!
Yup I sure do remember those days too

Not too crazy about it on LCD screens though, yet it's hard to avoid.

Old 06-10-2016   #107
Vince Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Thing is where the thickness matters is where you hold the camera while shooting. You don't hold it by the lcd panel or the iso dial. You hold it on the right side corner area with your right hand, while the left hand operates the lens. That is where it matters, and quite plainly the digital Ms are much fatter there than the film Ms.
Here again, how one defines 'much fatter' depends on your perspective. Personally I don't consider 4mm to be 'much fatter'. Either way, the M-D is a dream to hold

Thanks for posting that photo of the Df - man that is a big difference! Kinda reminds me of the new Dodge Challenger vs the old Dodge Challenger.

Old 06-11-2016   #108
mcfingon
Western Australia

Another comparo photo Vince. Confirmed that my M2 measures 32mm where you were measuring your M-D-licious at 36mm, so only 4mm in it. All film M's are meant to be built on the shape of the M2, so they should be the same. I noticed my FE2 even conforms very close to the dimensions of the M2. No wonder it is also nice to use. I'm sure the M-D would be excellent too!

Old 06-11-2016   #109
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Here again, how one defines 'much fatter' depends on your perspective. Personally I don't consider 4mm to be 'much fatter'. Either way, the M-D is a dream to hold

Thanks for posting that photo of the Df - man that is a big difference! Kinda reminds me of the new Dodge Challenger vs the old Dodge Challenger.
Hey Vince and how about the shutter on the M-D? Pretty sweet huh?

Old 06-11-2016   #110
Vince Lupo

Shutter is pretty nice - but the shutter from the 246 is pretty nice too. Either one is fine by me.

Right now what I really should be focusing on is actually taking pictures with this beautiful camera -- I need to justify its ownership.

Old 06-11-2016   #111
Vince Lupo

Testing the center-weighted metering of a contrasty situation -- 1/1000th @ f/2.8, ISO 200, 50/1.4 Summilux. Seemed to handle it pretty well.

This Morning's Breakfast
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Sorry that the initial photos are from just around the house -- unfortunately I haven't had much chance to venture out to shoot for myself.

Old 06-11-2016   #112
Fraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfingon View Post
Another comparo photo Vince. Confirmed that my M2 measures 32mm where you were measuring your M-D-licious at 36mm, so only 4mm in it. All film M's are meant to be built on the shape of the M2, so they should be the same. I noticed my FE2 even conforms very close to the dimensions of the M2. No wonder it is also nice to use. I'm sure the M-D would be excellent too!
The base of an om is actually narrower than an M (shot on my chunky Df).
Enjoy the new camera!
16fbpicm2vom4_01 by f4saregreat!, on Flickr

Old 06-11-2016   #113
airfrogusmc

Yes ya need to get out and use that puppy Vince. I say another trip to NM.....

Old 06-11-2016   #114
Vince Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
Yes ya need to get out and use that puppy Vince. I say another trip to NM.....
I just got back last week! I'm thinking of maybe a driving trip out there later in the year. We'll see!

Old 06-11-2016   #115
airfrogusmc

I need to get back out there. It's been over year. Maybe next year.

Old 06-12-2016   #116
Vince Lupo

Early morning light in the front yard. The center-weighted metering seems to be nailing it pretty well.

Early Morning MD
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Old 06-12-2016   #117
Vince Lupo

Who wants some brisket, courtesy of the M-D?

Brisket M-D
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Old 06-12-2016   #118
Rayt

Quote:
Who wants some brisket, courtesy of the M-D?
Brisket M-D
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr
Over cooked! As a zen Buddhist I am outraged.

Old 06-13-2016   #119
Vince Lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
Over cooked! As a zen Buddhist I am outraged.
Has a nice smoke ring. Tasted great to me, as well as everyone else who was there (I was not the chef, BTW).

Old 06-14-2016   #120
Vince Lupo

Flowers and cats -- clearly I need to get out more and put this camera to use

M-D Flower
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr