Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Lomography

Lomography Dedicated to discuss all Lomography Products

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Lomo Loves Leica M7 : Minitar 32mm 2.8 lens
Old 04-05-2016   #1
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,553
Lomo Loves Leica M7 : Minitar 32mm 2.8 lens

Leica M7, Fuji C200.
What is interesting is how this lens varies its look depending on lighting and of course aperture setting. None of these images were 'cooked' in pp.
All from the same roll of film.











  Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2016   #2
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Age: 50
Posts: 4,243
Lovely lens for juicy colors.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2016   #3
sebastel
coarse art umbrascriptor
 
sebastel's Avatar
 
sebastel is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: highdelberg
Posts: 1,022
shrug. sorry.
__________________

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2016   #4
fer_fdi
Registered User
 
fer_fdi's Avatar
 
fer_fdi is offline
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Barcelona & Empordà, Spain
Posts: 379
I specially like the draw on second picture.

Great for a ~$50 lens! But it's price is 350 Euro. No way (imho)

thanks a lot for sharing
__________________
~
Fer
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2016   #5
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastel View Post
shrug. sorry.

Nothing to be sorry about! These are a variety of images to show how the lens 'performs' For better or worse..

It gives an idea for others who may be in the market and curious.

It definitely works best with colour film
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2016   #6
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by fer_fdi View Post
I specially like the draw on second picture.

Great for a >$50 lens! But it's price is 350 Euro. No way (imho)

Is the price high? It is much cheaper than an MS Sonnetar nearest equivalent. About 1/3 of the price I think. And from the Sonnetar examples I've seen the Lomo outperforms it. It actually is very sharp in the center, but rapidly degrades outwards.



Crop from the middle:



It is also very nicely made, and maybe the clincher, it is tiny tiny. With it you can slip the camera into a pocket, it is the size of a body cap.

At 2.8 you get the heavy vignetting and the blur. Which actually is why many buy it.

And the bonus is that it is also RF coupled.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2016   #7
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Lovely lens for juicy colors.
THAT my friends, is the point of it.

None of my Leica, Zeiss, Nikon, Minolta, Mamiya or Helios lenses do this.

It's all about saturation, vignettes and blur on colour film.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2016   #8
Austerby
Registered User
 
Austerby's Avatar
 
Austerby is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fircombe
Posts: 1,060
Mine arrived this week but I've not used it yet. I'm going to take it with me on a short trip to Mallorca this weekend, probably used on both my A7ii and I might pop it on my CLE for a super-pocketable combination, with some cheap colour film too.
__________________
Austerby
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2016   #9
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austerby View Post
Mine arrived this week but I've not used it yet. I'm going to take it with me on a short trip to Mallorca this weekend, probably used on both my A7ii and I might pop it on my CLE for a super-pocketable combination, with some cheap colour film too.

Careful with the CLE. I have two of them and the lens does not fit on either. And I know of another CLE user who experienced the same. Don't force it...

These are my findings:

Mounts and removes easily on:

M240
M3
MDa

Mounts but a bit of a struggle to remove:

Bessa R3A

Does not fit at all:

Both my Minolta CLEs

Chickened out trying to fit because I love it too much and it is the best camera ever made:

Leica M5
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2016   #10
fer_fdi
Registered User
 
fer_fdi's Avatar
 
fer_fdi is offline
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Barcelona & Empordà, Spain
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Is the price high? It is much cheaper than an MS Sonnetar nearest equivalent. About 1/3 of the price I think. And from the Sonnetar examples I've seen the Lomo outperforms it. It actually is very sharp in the center, but rapidly degrades outwards.

Crop from the middle:


It is also very nicely made, and maybe the clincher, it is tiny tiny. With it you can slip the camera into a pocket, it is the size of a body cap.

At 2.8 you get the heavy vignetting and the blur. Which actually is why many buy it.

And the bonus is that it is also RF coupled.

Love it's size. And it's pretty sharp in the center.
Just I won't pay 350 E for that performance at f2.8
imho it's way overpriced considering performance, but that's me
__________________
~
Fer
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2016   #11
f16sunshine
Moderator
 
f16sunshine's Avatar
 
f16sunshine is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Age: 49
Posts: 5,568
From your very first m240 posts I really have lovd what you are getting from tgis lens Huss.
I'll get one some day. Till then please keep posting

I think the price is just fine. Why would anyone complain?
__________________
Andy
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2016   #12
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by fer_fdi View Post
Love it's size. And it's pretty sharp in the center.
Just I won't pay 350 E for that performance at f2.8
imho it's way overpriced considering performance, but that's me
The way it performs is exactly the reason for this lens. It's what separates it from others. The look is unique, for better or worse, but if it didn't have this look, then there would be no point to it. Why make a lens that is just like all the others out there already? This gives you an option for something else.
Also, if it had the qualities of a Biogon, Color Skopar etc it would also have the size of them.
There is nothing else like this lens. Whether you see value in that is a judgment call, but it is really cool that it is offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
From your very first m240 posts I really have lovd what you are getting from tgis lens Huss.
I'll get one some day. Till then please keep posting

I think the price is just fine. Why would anyone complain?
This is the cheapest M mount currently available, with a 2 year warranty.
Made out of brass, and rangefinder couples. I get that people may not like the results - that's subjective - but I'm always curious as to how people think a company is meant to make money and survive. The market for M mount lenses is tiny. Let's be honest. And this lens is within a tiny niche of that! And yet, apparently, it should cost peanuts!
That's not how businesses survive.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2016   #13
danielsterno
making soup from mud
 
danielsterno's Avatar
 
danielsterno is offline
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 751
grabbed one from CameraQuest and have been using it on my M6/M5 with color & B+W film, have not gotten any developed yet…. Thanks for posting yours, I'll add mine when I get them back….-D.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2016   #14
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Age: 50
Posts: 4,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsterno View Post
grabbed one from CameraQuest and have been using it on my M6/M5 with color & B+W film, have not gotten any developed yet…. Thanks for posting yours, I'll add mine when I get them back….-D.
Can't wait for bw!
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2016   #15
Larry H-L
Registered User
 
Larry H-L is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 343
The head bartender currently has a used one on his site, for $289, I think.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2016   #16
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Can't wait for bw!
It will be interesting to see. Personally I find this lens is much better suited for colour photography. B&W requires fine tonal contrasts. Something that my copy is foreign to...
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2016   #17
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,553
B&W shot on the M7 w/ the Minitar

  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 17:47.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.