Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Olympus RF

Olympus RF This forum is for the Olympus rangefinders.

35RC : Overexposed strip on (some) prints
Old 03-18-2016   #1
reob1957

35RC : Overexposed strip on (some) prints

I've replaced the light seals on my 35RC but I'm still getting this strip on the left of some (not all) prints. The strip is straight on the left edge and appears 'furry' on the right. The left hand shoulder strap lug is missing. Would that produce a symptom like this? Any other ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CNV00013.jpg (18.1 KB, 39 views)

Old 03-18-2016   #2
ColSebastianMoran

Reob, I had similar. See this thread

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=108016

In my case:
- It was a big leak at the film-door-hinge
- Confusing, it didn't happen to the film when in the image plane, but later when that bit of film was wound onto the take-up.

Test: Make 3-4 blank exposures. Then put the camera in bright light for a while. Then four more blank exposures. Look for the light lead among the blanks.

In Classifieds Now: Olympus PEN EE with original leather case
More photos, descriptions of for sale items on this Flickr album
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Last edited by ColSebastianMoran : 03-18-2016 at 09:42. Reason: Added: Test

Old 03-18-2016   #3
reob1957

Thanks v. much Colonel. I must have missed the door hinge when I replaced the light seals.

Old 03-18-2016   #4
charjohncarter

Thanks for your light leak info on your 35RC, Colonel Moran. I'm still chasing one on my beloved 35RC. I was hoping your problem would be my problem. Mine is a very definite line on the left side of the developed photo frame that goes half way across the frame and starts about half way up the frame then extends below the line to the frame opening/ending. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the shutter.

As the OP posted this; it is so frustrating.

Old 04-12-2016   #5
reob1957

After re-fixing the door hinge with thicker foam and still getting the problem I looked elsewhere. The left-side shoulder strap lug is missing from my camera. I thought the circular black hole was only 'skin deep' but on closer inspection it goes straight through into the cavity which would hold the film cannister. So the various intensities of the exposed strip were proportional to how fast I wound the film on and therefore how long the film was exposed to the light coming in from the hole. Does anyone know where I can get a spare lug and if they screw in? I've blocked the hole with one of my many leftover pieces of light-seal foam but I'd welcome a more elegant solution if it's available.

Old 04-12-2016   #6
charjohncarter

I wish I could help you. I still am chasing my light leak. Now I'm looking around the area where the lens attaches.

But to your question the lug may have been on many Japanese cameras of this vintage. I have a Konica C35 spares camera. I will check the lug and if it is the same you can have it.

I'm really busy right now so if you don't hear from me PM me in a few days.

Old 04-15-2016   #7
reob1957

Did you have any luck with the lug from your spares camera charjohncater?

Old 04-15-2016   #8
charjohncarter

No, the C35 had different lugs. Still, someone here probably has a beater Olympus with a good lug.

Old 04-15-2016   #9
reob1957

Thanks v. much for trying to help. I've got a few other leads to explore but the foam plug, although not pretty, at least makes the camera usable!

Have lug but lack courage
Old 05-10-2016   #10
reob1957

Have lug but lack courage

I have now received a spare shoulder-strap lug for the viewfinder side of my 35RC. It needs to be secured with a tiny screw which I also have. It appears I'll have to take the whole top off my camera to do the job properly i.e. remove rewind, shutter-speed dial and the top. I found an exploded diagram here...
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-134.html
...but that looks quite frightening. Have any of you done this level of fiddling or do you know anyone in Surrey / Hampshire with confidence, good eyesight and a set of tiny screwdrivers?