Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Sigma / Foveon Cameras

Leica r lens to SA mount adapter
Old 02-25-2016   #41
GaryLH

Leica r lens to SA mount adapter

http://www.leitax.com/leica-lens-for-sigma-cameras.html

Whether we are talking about the Nikon one or this one, they were originally designed for the sd14 dslr. How well they work now, who knows. As I said in other post there have been mixed reviews in terms of the results anyway, but I believe this was mainly due to the DP conversion that the Chinese third party did for rf lens usage.. I don't remember about the slr lenses.

Gary

Old 02-25-2016   #42
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Can you explain Keith? I've never thought of this.

I think a few people were wondering if you would nearly have your finger in the side of your eye when shooting. Looking at the pic you posted of the top the camera it's definitely not an issue.

The battery grip certainly adds a new dimension to the size of the camera ... and offers an alternate shutter button for portrait orientation which until you've used such a feature you'll never appreciate how much easier it makes a camera to use.

Old 02-25-2016   #43
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I must admit I certainly don't have any issue with it being dedicated SA mount. Once you've held one of those new ART lenses in your hands you realise the build quality is as good as anything out there ... they really are a cut above what has come before them. And optically they are right up there as well.

As for the looks and layout ... I don't mind a largish camera provided it suits me ergonomically. One thing I have noticed with my SD1M is it's very light and didn't they say the chassis of this thing is magnesium in the blurb ... I can't remember?

So far it's ticking all the boxes for me ... I think the only thing that could hold me back would be a stupid price!

Old 02-26-2016   #44
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I think a few people were wondering if you would nearly have your finger in the side of your eye when shooting. Looking at the pic you posted of the top the camera it's definitely not an issue.
I see what you mean when looking at the first photo now. Thanks.

Some projected shipping info
Old 02-27-2016   #45
GaryLH

Some projected shipping info

Still no price yet, but at least we know about when.

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/new-...d-of-the-year/

Article has a lot of typos.. but one gets the gist.
- sd Quattro before summer
- sd h Quattro by end of the year
- one stop faster high ISO than DP Quattro
-- so it looks like they either improved the hw or algo since the dp0 was released or a xlation mistake and they meant the Merrill.
- 40% faster refresh rate then DP Quattro LCD screen

So the APS-h version will most likely make it in time for christmas, but both these cameras will take at least a year to settle into their normalized price vs the whatever they decide as a list price. So given my budget, I'm looking at probably late 2017 or early 2018 if the list price is below 2000. Keeping my fingers crossed the APS-h is not going to be around 3000. Plenty of time to save up

Gary

Old 02-27-2016   #46
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I must admit I certainly don't have any issue with it being dedicated SA mount. Once you've held one of those new ART lenses in your hands you realise the build quality is as good as anything out there ... they really are a cut above what has come before them. And optically they are right up there as well.

As for the looks and layout ... I don't mind a largish camera provided it suits me ergonomically. One thing I have noticed with my SD1M is it's very light and didn't they say the chassis of this thing is magnesium in the blurb ... I can't remember?

So far it's ticking all the boxes for me ... I think the only thing that could hold me back would be a stupid price!
I have some FF SA mount lenses but the predominance are APS-c, so I'm hoping that the camera was design to be able to use the apsc lenses in mind even if there is a bit of vignetting. Most modern photo sw can eliminate vignetting w/o much fuss anyway. In aperture sw, it is a function I can even setup a preselect save function name by lens for degree of de-vignetting.

Ticks all my boxes as well, including looks and the size of the grip.

Gary

4 different videos
Old 02-28-2016   #47
GaryLH

4 different videos

Another posting from cp+.. From photorumors website includes 4 different videos..

It does look big but I I like the look of the camera.

http://photorumors.com/2016/02/27/mo...as/#more-79794

Gary

Old 03-08-2016   #48
Spanik

Any news on pricing yet?

Old 03-08-2016   #49
GaryLH

Nada....

Gary

Old 03-08-2016   #50
Monochrom

I like the shape of the camera, itīs very interesting. I think itīs reallly a sigma design!

Iīd love to see something that can mount M and Ltm lenses.

The H sized sensor is really tempting!

Hail Foveon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post

Recent interview w/ Sigma CEO sd Quattro and the new lenses
Old 03-27-2016   #51
GaryLH

Recent interview w/ Sigma CEO sd Quattro and the new lenses

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...-of-f1.8-zooms

The sd Quattro APS-h will need full frame lenses, but he did say that some apsc lenses would work..however official stand is that the APS-h is a full frame lens requirement.

The APS-h files sizes sound like they are going to be huge the way he talks about the speed difference between the new sd quattros..

No price or date yet.

Gary

Ps. I hope they allow the use of the apsc lenses w/o forced dx mode. If the issue is simply vignetting, that is simple to correct in post.

Old 03-27-2016   #52
Spanik

The lenses for the aps-h are going to be huge if you can only use the Sigma FF ones. Bit silly to only use part of them then.

Old 03-28-2016   #53
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

One of the things that intrigues me is the wildly fluctuating price of the SD1M. A while ago it was available here in OZ for around $1800.00 which dropped to under $1300.00 for a while and now it's back up to around $3400.00 which I don't believe anyone in their right mind will pay considering the coming options. Also the DP2M a couple of months ago was going for $550.00 now that's back up to $650.00

Old 04-25-2016   #54
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

So any news of a release date and pricing yet? I read somewhere back in the thread that maybe going into northern hemisphere summer? ... which ain't that far away!

Old 06-24-2016   #55
dfatty

http://petapixel.com/2016/06/24/sigm...orless-camera/

wow, i was expecting much higher, and wasn't planning on buying this. but now, i'll definitely have to consider it since i love the merrills so much.

799 for the normal apsc
Old 06-24-2016   #56
GaryLH

799 for the normal apsc

No release date and price on the asph yet but the. Standard apsc is $799. To me that's a good price. The apsc-h can't be more than 50% more expensive, I hope.

Here's the info from b&h. No expected arrival date yet.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...op+Nav-Search=

Gary

Old 06-24-2016   #57
dfatty

ah yes, just noticed this thread was for aps-h, not aps-c. but the price for the apsc might give a hint for the h, hopefully not more than 50% higher as you say..

Old 06-24-2016   #58
jsrockit

$999 with the 30mm 1.4 seems like a steal ...as long as you can work within the limitations of the camera and its advantages work for your photography.

Old 06-25-2016   #59
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Can anyone here weigh in on whether the latest version of Sigma Photo Pro (6.3?) has progressed in usability. Most reviews of SPP I find online are from 2012-1014. Those reviews speak of horribly long RAW processing times and difficult-to-use user interface.

Old 06-26-2016   #60
GaryLH

Jamie

The answer is it depends....

How fast is your CPU, do u have at least 8gb of ram? Do u have 2 drives.. A fast ssd for the OS and the applications like spp and another fast drive where the files are written to.

What u expect to accomplish in spp. I only use spp to batch process my raw files into tiff 16. And I use the jpgs from the foveon sensor to decide which raws to send to spp for batch processing. Kick off the batch op and get a snack .

Come back latter and import into Apple Aperture.

That being said, the Quattro jpg engine is good enough that I actually find that I don't need to use spp as much as I did for the Merrill files.

Latest version of spp is slightly faster.. Currently the only time I have had a crash is when I send to many files to have batch processed. So long as I keep it under 8 files at a time, I haven't had a crash in about a year. I would venture the people who have had process, have either not had enough memory (ram) or they are doing more in spp than I am or some combination of hw and SW that i'm lucky to not have is causing the problem (knock on wood)...

If u have been using an older version and u have a ton of raw files in your library.. If I remember correctly, the new version of the sw seemed to cause a lock up.. It appears to be some sort of new data structure or data base update. My memory is getting pretty bad. But if I remember correctly, after the first time everything was back to normal. So just wait it out.. Anyway take this comment w/ grain of salt since it may just be faulty memory.

The early versions of spp when I first bought my Merrill had a lot more issues than the latest for me at least.

Gary

Old 06-26-2016   #61
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfatty View Post
ah yes, just noticed this thread was for aps-h, not aps-c. but the price for the apsc might give a hint for the h, hopefully not more than 50% higher as you say..
A lot depends on their yield from their sensor fab house.. How much gets pass to the consumer.. The bigger sensor and more pixels could mean they needed to increase the performance of the data bus and the CPU along w/ the rest of the digital processing path. The base firmware updates may not be minor depending on how that updated the hw paths.

I would love for it to fall in and around 1000.. But it could be as high as 1500...but I hope not more. But I believe they priced to apsc model just about right.

Gary

Old 06-26-2016   #62
dfatty

i'm not so in tune with sensor prices and yields, but it amazes me that sigma can put out this body for less than what some of the new m43 bodies cost. perhaps the apsc sensor costs are also spread over the dp quattro lines, but i imagine that the foveon volume is still much less than for m43.

since apsh probably has lower yield and because sigma's volume is so low, i could see the apsh body coming in at double the apsc, though that's a total guess. still a good deal though. although at double the price, we're approaching the pentax k-1, whose pixel shift tech is very intriguing.

eta: ok, i'm reading more about the pixel shift, and foveon is still superior so apsh it is

Old 06-26-2016   #63
Eric T

I was a big fan of the Sigma Merrill cameras because the IQ was so amazing. But then I got tired of the slowness of the work flow required to get those images and my SD1m became a battery hog.
How does the Quattro sensor IQ compare to the Merrill?
Will the APS-H sensor put a crop on the APS-C DC lenses?
Note that Sigma says that the new SD Quattro is meant for the "Global Vision Lenses", i.e. contemporary, art, and sport lenses. How will the older SA-mount lenses fare on the new camera.
I am inclined to buy this SD Quattro H camera but I need to know more. If it doesn't crop the image with my Sigma DC lenses, I will probably dive in.

Old 06-26-2016   #64
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Great news on the price of the lower spec camera .... which bodes well for the H hopefully. The H is the one that appeals to me because of the lesser crop factor of 1:3 ... I always found this to be less of an issue than the crop factor of my RD1 which I was never totally comfortable with.

My lenses are waiting Sigma!

Old 06-27-2016   #65
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Gary, thanks for the thoughts. If the jpegs from the new SD Quattro are good, I can live without RAW processing. I've been living that way with Fuji files and been happy. Looking forward to reading the first reviews/tests of the new Sigmas.
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLH View Post
Jamie

The answer is it depends....

How fast is your CPU, do u have at least 8gb of ram? Do u have 2 drives.. A fast ssd for the OS and the applications like spp and another fast drive where the files are written to.

What u expect to accomplish in spp. I only use spp to batch process my raw files into tiff 16. And I use the jpgs from the foveon sensor to decide which raws to send to spp for batch processing. Kick off the batch op and get a snack .

Come back latter and import into Apple Aperture.

That being said, the Quattro jpg engine is good enough that I actually find that I don't need to use spp as much as I did for the Merrill files.

Latest version of spp is slightly faster.. Currently the only time I have had a crash is when I send to many files to have batch processed. So long as I keep it under 8 files at a time, I haven't had a crash in about a year. I would venture the people who have had process, have either not had enough memory (ram) or they are doing more in spp than I am or some combination of hw and SW that i'm lucky to not have is causing the problem (knock on wood)...

If u have been using an older version and u have a ton of raw files in your library.. If I remember correctly, the new version of the sw seemed to cause a lock up.. It appears to be some sort of new data structure or data base update. My memory is getting pretty bad. But if I remember correctly, after the first time everything was back to normal. So just wait it out.. Anyway take this comment w/ grain of salt since it may just be faulty memory.

The early versions of spp when I first bought my Merrill had a lot more issues than the latest for me at least.

Gary

Old 06-27-2016   #66
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Helen,
You can get some sense of what this lens does on a foveon sensor (it comes in other mounts too, like Canon and Nikon), by going to Flickr and typing in "SD1 Merrill 30mm HSM".

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Hmmm... Yummy
Foveon sensor
VF
30 14
$999.00
and a Big H ~ perfect for a double 'H' Gurl

Of Course I WANT One !

When do we see actual photos from this 30 1.4 lens.

Old 06-27-2016   #67
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pillers View Post
Helen,
You can get some sense of what this lens does on a foveon sensor (it comes in other mounts too, like Canon and Nikon), by going to Flickr and typing in "SD1 Merrill 30mm HSM".
Some of those are impressive. Thanks for the link.

Old 06-30-2016   #68
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I just sent an email to the Sigma importer here in OZ asking about the new SD Quattros and particularly the H. I've decided that if they can give me some sort of time line for availability I'll pre-order one!

I want this camera!

Old 07-01-2016   #69
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Got a reply back from CR Kennedy here in oz who are the Sigma distributors yesterday. Apparently they will have the C here in about a month but have received no information about when the H will be available. And no prices for either camera yet ... I am really hoping the H will come in at under two grand Australian ... fingers crossed!

Old 07-02-2016   #70
jarski

Wish Sigma does well with finder and focusing of these new models, something that they didn't exactly shine before.

Interesting to see also how SD1m prices will develop as new models come available.