M 262
Old 12-14-2015   #1
airfrogusmc
Registered User
 
airfrogusmc is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,714
M 262

Just bought one. Should be here soon...
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015   #2
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!
 
SolaresLarrave's Avatar
 
SolaresLarrave is offline
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: DeKalb, IL, USA
Age: 57
Posts: 7,365
Good! Post photos of the camera and by you (with the camera!).

Is that the most recent issue?
__________________
-Francisco
Check out
My Leica M4-2 Blog and/or
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide
Now selling Nikon RF gear
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015   #3
airfrogusmc
Registered User
 
airfrogusmc is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,714
Yes it is a stripped down M 240 with a really really quiet shutter. Kinda what the M-E was to the M9.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015   #4
David_Manning
Registered User
 
David_Manning's Avatar
 
David_Manning is offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Aledo, Texas
Age: 51
Posts: 1,531
Looks nice. I just wish my M9 had a quieter shutter.
__________________
My Tumblr site
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015   #5
Peter Wijninga
Registered User
 
Peter Wijninga's Avatar
 
Peter Wijninga is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,035
Congrats. Please let us know how it handles. Where did you find it in stock?
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015   #6
Pioneer
Registered User
 
Pioneer's Avatar
 
Pioneer is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 63
Posts: 2,689
This appeared on my porch late last week. I am sure you will enjoy yours when it arrives.

__________________
You gotta love a fast lens;

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015   #7
airfrogusmc
Registered User
 
airfrogusmc is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,714
OUTSTANSING Pioneer.

I had my hands on one last Sat and I didn't buy it. I went called and said I wanted it today and they said it sold but they were getting another one in any day so I bought the one thats coming in any day.

Can't wait...

It handles really nice and the shutter is even more quiet than the M 240. I got to try them both side by side. The menu is a lot easier to negotiate also.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015   #8
mabelsound
Registered User
 
mabelsound's Avatar
 
mabelsound is offline
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Age: 47
Posts: 6,171
Ahh nice! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it, airfrogusmc.
__________________
flickr insta twitter
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015   #9
airfrogusmc
Registered User
 
airfrogusmc is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
Ahh nice! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it, airfrogusmc.
Thanks...

Hope it comes soon.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015   #10
Pioneer
Registered User
 
Pioneer's Avatar
 
Pioneer is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 63
Posts: 2,689
I am learning that it is going to take me a bit to get used to it. I swapped my well used M9 to help defray the cost.

Instead of thinking I might have known what I was doing with the M9, I am now relearning how to process these files.

So far it does respond like a Leica M so at least that stays the same.
__________________
You gotta love a fast lens;

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015   #11
Emile de Leon
Registered User
 
Emile de Leon is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 516
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2RIz5xtxdI
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015   #12
johnwolf
Registered User
 
johnwolf's Avatar
 
johnwolf is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,236
I'd love one, too. I'm thinking of making 2016 the year of color. But I can't swing both the 262 and my MM. Painful.

Look forward to seeing your color street work. That's the intention, right?
__________________
tumblr | Newest collections: India and The Wall.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015   #13
Tijmendal
Young photog
 
Tijmendal is offline
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Age: 26
Posts: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
Oh damn, that's beautiful.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015   #14
airfrogusmc
Registered User
 
airfrogusmc is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
I'd love one, too. I'm thinking of making 2016 the year of color. But I can't swing both the 262 and my MM. Painful.

Look forward to seeing your color street work. That's the intention, right?
Switching from Canon to Leica M for my commercial work. Dumping all my Canon stuff. Just sold one of my 5DIIs and my 200 2L. Hopefully will be completely Canon free and Leica full by late spring.

So to answer your question about street work in color I tend to see naturally in B&W so I think I will still be a B&W street shooter anyway that's the way I am seeing and working with my personal work now. That could change.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015   #15
aizan
Registered User
 
aizan's Avatar
 
aizan is offline
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Torrance, CA
Age: 35
Posts: 3,913
ooh, that sent shivers down my spine. the 262 might be THE classic digital m.
__________________
Ugly Cameras
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015   #16
Emile de Leon
Registered User
 
Emile de Leon is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 516
I think I heard the M-E is quieter...but only if you hold the shutter button down and release it later..for re-cocking..
But I don't know as I don't have an M-E..
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015   #17
johnwolf
Registered User
 
johnwolf's Avatar
 
johnwolf is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
Switching from Canon to Leica M for my commercial work. Dumping all my Canon stuff. Just sold one of my 5DIIs and my 200 2L. Hopefully will be completely Canon free and Leica full by late spring.

So to answer your question about street work in color I tend to see naturally in B&W so I think I will still be a B&W street shooter anyway that's the way I am seeing and working with my personal work now. That could change.
Oh, yeah, I remember that now in another thread. Always enjoy your work and look forward to seeing whatever you do with the 262.
__________________
tumblr | Newest collections: India and The Wall.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015   #18
airfrogusmc
Registered User
 
airfrogusmc is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
Oh, yeah, I remember that now in another thread. Always enjoy your work and look forward to seeing whatever you do with the 262.
Thanks John,

I'm sure it will find it's way out of the bag and on the street a few times anyway.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015   #19
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Age: 43
Posts: 17,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
This appeared on my porch late last week. I am sure you will enjoy yours when it arrives.

Lucky you...
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015   #20
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
I think I heard the M-E is quieter...but only if you hold the shutter button down and release it later..for re-cocking..
But I don't know as I don't have an M-E..
I had an M-E. Very loud shutter. The quiet option only works if you allow the camera to recock under a heavy coat/blanket etc to muffle the sound.
Which of course prevents you from being able to shoot continuously if you want to shoot quietly.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015   #21
Pioneer
Registered User
 
Pioneer's Avatar
 
Pioneer is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 63
Posts: 2,689
Between dueling with various SD Cards trying to find the right sauce I was able to get this sample of Frosty overlooking his snowy kingdom.

__________________
You gotta love a fast lens;

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2015   #22
airfrogusmc
Registered User
 
airfrogusmc is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,714
So which cards seem to work best?

Cool image...
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2015   #23
OurManInTangier
An Undesirable
 
OurManInTangier's Avatar
 
OurManInTangier is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 2,058
Very nice Allen. I look forward to seeing your latest work from it once it arrives.

Part of the reason I sold my M9 was the awful recocking sound. Personally I never saw the point of attempting to make the camera release have the old Leica 'snick' only to then have a loud whirring noise as it set itself up for the next shot. From the link provided it sounds like the M262 has forgone that entirely?! If so, it's a vast improvement - perhaps only to me, I get that, but is it really so?
__________________
Cheers
Simon

| SLP: Work website
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2015   #24
airfrogusmc
Registered User
 
airfrogusmc is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,714
Thanks Simon. And it is very quiet.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2015   #25
airfrogusmc
Registered User
 
airfrogusmc is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,714
Thanks Helen.

I love my original MM. If I weren't feeding the family with this and could only have one camera it would be the MM. The 262 and another color body to follow in a few months are mostly for my commercial work. The original MM would be a nice fit in your hands in my opinion. Plus they are getting fairly affordable with the release of the new one.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2015   #26
Lss
Registered User
 
Lss is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I had an M-E. Very loud shutter. The quiet option only works if you allow the camera to recock under a heavy coat/blanket etc to muffle the sound.
In general use I find the discreet mode works very well and it is not that noticeable to other people. You really don't need a heavy coat or anything else to cover the camera. You simply lower your camera hand for the re-cocking, which is how I usually carry the camera anyway. Obviously, a no-go for continuous shooting (regardless of mode) but usable for single shots.

As always, any noise depends on the setting. But there is a huge difference in how people hear and react to the sound based on its direction (and of course distance). For the photographer himself, there may further be quite a significant psychological effect. When the camera re-cocks the shutter against your face, it sounds very loud.
__________________
Lasse
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2015   #27
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.
 
jaapv's Avatar
 
jaapv is offline
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hellevoetsluis,Netherlands
Posts: 8,248
For the sound the 262 - like the M240 - is a very different beast from the M9/MM1. The rewind is inaudible and the shutter noise - well, not quite the film M "Schnick"- a subdued Click-click.
__________________
Jaap








jaapvphotography
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2015   #28
johnwolf
Registered User
 
johnwolf's Avatar
 
johnwolf is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Congrats, Lucky You!!
Can't wait to see what You catch with Miss 262

Me can't decide a ver1 monochrome or 262... Can't afford BOTH and Santa has too many others on his List to spoil me rotten

I received a monochrom Print from 'Cal' and it made me Swoooon, Great Camera Indeed !

I'm thinking of swapping my MM1 for a 262. After years of BW only, I'm now in a color state of mind, but can't swing both cameras. I'm just concerned I might regret the decision.

John
__________________
tumblr | Newest collections: India and The Wall.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2015   #29
pechelman
resu deretsiger
 
pechelman is offline
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
For the sound the 262 - like the M240 - is a very different beast from the M9/MM1. The rewind is inaudible and the shutter noise - well, not quite the film M "Schnick"- a subdued Click-click.
agreed
though from that video, the 262 seems to sound slightly subdued compared to my 240 which I've always thought sounded a bit like an iron curtain hitting a steel wall.

other than the potentially more quiet shutter, could someone explain the appeal of the 262 when used 240's in great condition are selling for under 4k?
Maybe this is one of those situations where if I dont get it now I never will, but why not just forget about the LV or front buttons instead?
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2015   #30
johnwolf
Registered User
 
johnwolf's Avatar
 
johnwolf is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
....other than the potentially more quiet shutter, could someone explain the appeal of the 262 when used 240's in great condition are selling for under 4k?....
That's a good point. I've see M240s as low as $3500. I'd never shoot video with an M, but live view might be nice on occasion.
__________________
tumblr | Newest collections: India and The Wall.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2015   #31
pechelman
resu deretsiger
 
pechelman is offline
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 280
I completely forgot to mention that video button too, which shows how easy it is to forget it's there. And yea, never even once considered to take video. Ever.

If anything, having an extra button could be nice if it could be repurposed to do something else with a firmware update. Maybe something like when in self-timer mode, pressing that button allows changing from 2 to 10 second delay without going into a menu?

And yea, I hardly ever use LV, but on occasion, it is really nice to have.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2015   #32
Duane Pandorf
Registered User
 
Duane Pandorf's Avatar
 
Duane Pandorf is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: I'm currently in Brevard, North Carolina.
Posts: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
.....could someone explain the appeal of the 262 when used 240's in great condition are selling for under 4k?....
  1. For those that don't need LV/Video
  2. 2 year warranty
  3. Lighter
  4. Shutter
__________________
Duane Pandorf
--------------------
Blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2015   #33
icebear
Registered User
 
icebear's Avatar
 
icebear is offline
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: just west of the big apple
Posts: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Congrats, Lucky You!!
Can't wait to see what You catch with Miss 262

Me can't decide a ver1 monochrome or 262... Can't afford BOTH and Santa has too many others on his List to spoil me rotten

I received a monochrom Print from 'Cal' and it made me Swoooon, Great Camera Indeed !
Hey there NY gal
how many times do I have to tell you to get a used MM?
In case you don't like it, we meet and I'll buy you a drink of choice.
Cheers
__________________
Klaus
You have to be there !
M9, MM & a bunch of glass, Q

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2015   #34
Tijmendal
Young photog
 
Tijmendal is offline
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Age: 26
Posts: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
ooh, that sent shivers down my spine. the 262 might be THE classic digital m.
Right? Now, if they were to make it the same size as an M6 (classic), then that's the only camera I'll ever need.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2015   #35
rscheffler
Registered User
 
rscheffler is offline
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 437
Congrats Allen! I'm sure you'll love it. Very brave move to finally unload all your Canon gear. Kind of wish I would do it too, but still need it for some applications (primarily sports and for when I'm feeling lazy at events)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
other than the potentially more quiet shutter, could someone explain the appeal of the 262 when used 240's in great condition are selling for under 4k?
Maybe this is one of those situations where if I dont get it now I never will, but why not just forget about the LV or front buttons instead?
That's a good point and it's what I would do - get a used/demo M240 (I do find its live view useful). I think Leica is only looking at new market gaps in their lineup and there are likely many buyers who prefer to buy new. Or like Allen, the simplicity. IMO, the 262 will be more relevant as an 'M-E replacement' once the M240 replacement is out and the top of the line M price point is reset to around $6500-7000.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2015   #36
Pioneer
Registered User
 
Pioneer's Avatar
 
Pioneer is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 63
Posts: 2,689
At this point I am using a Sony SDHC-1 32G card with 40 MB/s transfer speed. So far this one seems to working all right. This is the 4th card I have worked with, all the rest worked just fine in the m9 but were a no-go in this M. The camera froze within one or two photographs with the other 3 cards.

Part of me still wishes that I had held onto the M9. I know there were things that frustrated lots of people and the sensor corrosion issue was a big problem. But for me the M9 was very, very reliable, taking all the abuse I tossed its way without any complaint.

There are obviously positives to the M Type 262. For starters, the shutter is quieter than the M9. It handles quite well and actually feels very balanced with the Summilux attached. I like the little protrusion protecting the wheel, it makes a convenient place to grip the camera.

But, for all the nice features, for me it all goes down the tube if the camera cannot be depended on to work. Reliability trumps all. So far this has not been a terrific start but if this card is successful then I can put this behind me and move forward.
__________________
You gotta love a fast lens;

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2015   #37
pechelman
resu deretsiger
 
pechelman is offline
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Pandorf View Post
  1. For those that don't need LV/Video
  2. 2 year warranty
  3. Lighter
  4. Shutter
just to capture this in one place

Brand New 262: ~5200usd
Brand New 240: ~6400usd
Used 240: ~3500-4000usd

Weight difference is about 80grams according to the specs.
Removal of LV, Front Focus, and Video buttons (and associated LV & EVF features)
Quieter shutter but not exactly sure by how much.

I guess to some people, those might be important, but to pay more for a feature set which is largely reduced? Again, I understand 80grams is an "improvement" (negligibly so for me) and the quiet shutter may or may not matter to some people. I do wish my m240 was a little quieter but it's OK.

I get that the warranty adds peace of mind, but many of these used leicas are only barely used. To some extent, I think I'd rather have a ~3 year old camera, with a 3-5k shutter count, that still works fine, than a first model production of anything. A lot like buying a diesel truck with 75-100k miles on it, just barely broken in.

I suppose as I first stated, if I dont get it now, I probably wont.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2015   #38
13Promet
Registered User
 
13Promet's Avatar
 
13Promet is offline
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Milano - Italy
Age: 45
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
Switching from Canon to Leica M for my commercial work. Dumping all my Canon stuff. Just sold one of my 5DIIs and my 200 2L. Hopefully will be completely Canon free and Leica full by late spring.

So to answer your question about street work in color I tend to see naturally in B&W so I think I will still be a B&W street shooter anyway that's the way I am seeing and working with my personal work now. That could change.
For what is worth, from my standpoint your street pictures are by far the best ones I'm seing in this forum.
I understand you about the "BW seing" completely, as it's my nature too, even if several miles behind the way you do it.
I'm really impatient to see what you'll be doing by the 262.


Side note, just for general ("funny") info, the most famous M262 German product so far is this one, made by Messerschmitt rather than by Leica, and it was a very innovative product about 60 years ago:

__________________
The perfect traveller does not know his destination (Lao Tsu)

www.alessandrosaponaro.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2015   #39
airfrogusmc
Registered User
 
airfrogusmc is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
just to capture this in one place

Brand New 262: ~5200usd
Brand New 240: ~6400usd
Used 240: ~3500-4000usd

Weight difference is about 80grams according to the specs.
Removal of LV, Front Focus, and Video buttons (and associated LV & EVF features)
Quieter shutter but not exactly sure by how much.

I guess to some people, those might be important, but to pay more for a feature set which is largely reduced? Again, I understand 80grams is an "improvement" (negligibly so for me) and the quiet shutter may or may not matter to some people. I do wish my m240 was a little quieter but it's OK.

I get that the warranty adds peace of mind, but many of these used leicas are only barely used. To some extent, I think I'd rather have a ~3 year old camera, with a 3-5k shutter count, that still works fine, than a first model production of anything. A lot like buying a diesel truck with 75-100k miles on it, just barely broken in.

I suppose as I first stated, if I dont get it now, I probably wont.
I'll pay a little more for a new camera that doesn't have all the things I don't want or need. Oh thats right I just did.
  Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2015   #40
airfrogusmc
Registered User
 
airfrogusmc is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Promet View Post
For what is worth, from my standpoint your street pictures are by far the best ones I'm seing in this forum.
I understand you about the "BW seing" completely, as it's my nature too, even if several miles behind the way you do it.
I'm really impatient to see what you'll be doing by the 262.


Side note, just for general ("funny") info, the most famous M262 German product so far is this one, made by Messerschmitt rather than by Leica, and it was a very innovative product about 60 years ago:

Thanks and the 262 is probably going to be more for commercial work. With the exception of the first M Leica M has really never been innovative in terms of latest or a lot of bells and whistles. How long did it take an M to get a meter? Still don't have auto focus and thats quite alright by me.

To me a great camera is something to hold light sensitive material. A lens to focus the light on the light sensitive material. An aperture to control the amount of light striking that light sensitive material and a shutter to control how long that light is allowed to strike that light sensitive material.

I like my MM and will probably like this M 262 for all the stuff it doesn't have.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:18.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.