Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Voigtlander Lenses and Images

Voigtlander Lenses and Images Post threads showing images from Cosina Voigtlander Leica mount lenses here.

Old 01-02-2016   #41
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pherdinand View Post
An interesting "business trip" you had, ferider
It's rough, Pherdi, but somebody's got to do it ...

Old 01-02-2016   #42
Erik van Straten

I like the lens above all as a portrait lens.

Leica M3, Nokton 50mm f/1.1, Tmax400.

Erik.

Old 01-02-2016   #43
Thardy

This and the recent Noctilux 0.95 thread has piqued my interest in these fast 50s. I'd really like to see a comparison of the Nockton vs the Noctilux shooting the same subjects.

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 01-02-2016   #44
uhoh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post
Basically, the Nokton is roughly on par with the Planar at f2. Plus it has all the extra speed when needed Which makes it a wonderful general purpose lens. Plus I trust the lensrentals guys to be unbiased when it comes to brand.

Roland.
Roland I agree, Roger's tests are great, but missing one important element:

F/5.6

The Planar's WO performance is a bit better on the edge, but they are close, for sure. However I'd wager the Planar is well ahead at 5.6.

It's true the Nokton has the "extra speed", but the planar has the two factors which are are more "generally" useful: smallish size and weight, and outstanding performance at daylight apertures.

Charts for the Planar:

Zeiss Planar by unoh7, on Flickr

But I can't really back that up, except from anecdotal reports on the Planar. And we have no charts for the Nokton stopped down.

One more from the 50/1.1

DSC00836-3 by unoh7, near WO
Above a close look will reveal the edges do drop alot.

Here a full at f/8 which I showed earlier with pretty good edges:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/645/20...3e0d1e9e_o.jpg

I should shoot some landscapes with the M9 at f/8. Above is A7 with kolari mod. Maybe I will take it up on the mountain with 50 cron as "control" just to really see the stopped down performance.

As to the bokeh, i was looking through my shots for it's horrible nature. While it's no 75 lux, I don't have any terrible examples. I'm sure it the right situation, it will produce some distraction. Like nearly every fast 35 out there, but you don't hear such picky remarks about them

Old 01-02-2016   #45
raid
Dad Photographer

This thread caused me to buy such a lens tonight.
Someone needs to send me some payment!

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-02-2016   #46
ferider

Congrats Raid !

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
Roland I agree, Roger's tests are great, but missing one important element: F/5.6 The Planar's WO performance is a bit better on the edge, but they are close, for sure. However I'd wager the Planar is well ahead at 5.6. It's true the Nokton has the "extra speed", but the planar has the two factors which are are more "generally" useful: smallish size and weight, and outstanding performance at daylight apertures.
Uhoh7, can't argue against size, and cant measure MTF. But the Nokton performance in middle and corner fields visibly improves in my tests also beyond f2, at least until f4, where it feels to have similar resolution as my highest resolving lenses (Summicron and 50/2.4 Hexanon). Haven't tested above, but it's sharp enough for me. All I'm saying is that - if you are ok schlepping a 1.1 Nokton around for speed, say, when traveling, it will be more than good enough for daylight and even tripod landscapes, too.

Would be nice to have Voigtlander publish MTF charts ...

Roland.

Old 01-02-2016   #48
Lss

One issue I haven't seen discussed is field curvature, which I found rather significant in a few test landscapes I shot at varying apertures a few years back. This was using several cameras (NEX, R-D1, M8, and I think also b&w film).

My conclusion based on the test shots was that I will continue using only my Summicron as a general purpose lens. Smaller size, sharper across frame. The Nokton I have used for low light and for some special applications (like portraits). This thread now has me reconsider the view. What are everyone else's findings regarding field curvature? I may need to test again.

Old 01-02-2016   #49
mani

Five years ago I did a spontaneous and wholly unscientific comparison of some fast lenses on an M8 here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/...bad/?p=1359037

Just a single shot, but the out-of-focus differences between the Nokton and f1 Noctilux were interesting I thought.

Old 01-03-2016   #50
mdarnton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lss View Post
This thread now has me reconsider the view. What are everyone else's findings regarding field curvature? I may need to test again.
I would definitely be in favor of it if it helped me turn portraits from dead center and still keep what I focus on in focus. People seem to note that it has someone, but I don't know if anyone has tested how much.

Old 01-03-2016   #51
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
I would definitely be in favor of it if it helped me turn portraits from dead center and still keep what I focus on in focus. People seem to note that it has someone, but I don't know if anyone has tested how much.
If you look at the 3rd picture in the OP, you'll see that at close distances (1m), the lens/240 combo has a pretty flat field. My lens front focuses in the center by about an inch. For a 1/3rd composition, the math (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=148485) predicts a backwards shift of about 2% = 2cm with a flat focus field (FOV = 47 deg, alpha = FOV / 6 = 0.137 rad, d = alpha^2 = 1.87%), which is roughly what you see in my test photo. I feel a little front focus in the center is a good thing for the Nokton.

But, for Lss, the lens shifts noticeably backwards when closing down (see the second picture in the OP). Maybe this is what you were seeing ?

Roland.

Old 01-03-2016   #52
uhoh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lss View Post
One issue I haven't seen discussed is field curvature, which I found rather significant in a few test landscapes I shot at varying apertures a few years back. This was using several cameras (NEX, R-D1, M8, and I think also b&w film).

My conclusion based on the test shots was that I will continue using only my Summicron as a general purpose lens. Smaller size, sharper across frame. The Nokton I have used for low light and for some special applications (like portraits). This thread now has me reconsider the view. What are everyone else's findings regarding field curvature? I may need to test again.
I also use the 50 cron as my general 50, and the nokton primarily as a low light lens. I think your question about FC is a good one.

The thing is, NEX made its own FC as does the A7. So it's worth some test shots

Old 01-03-2016   #53
MCTuomey

Quote:
Wonderful photo, Peter.

I mentioned that comparison in the OP, uhoh7. What I find more interesting is the comparison with the Planar at f2.0:

(MTF50 results in line pairs/image height, Astig: difference between sagittal and tangential MTF)

Basically, the Nokton is roughly on par with the Planar at f2. Plus it has all the extra speed when needed Which makes it a wonderful general purpose lens. Plus I trust the lensrentals guys to be unbiased when it comes to brand.

Roland.
Resonates with me. One lens to rule my need for a 50.

Off-topic, but among other interesting points the chart makes me think the "old" asph Lux 50 f/1.4 still does real well against the latest 50s.

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

Gear: more than enough, film and digital

My Flickr

Old 01-03-2016   #54
ChrisLivsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post

Off-topic, but among other interesting points the chart makes me think the "old" Lux 50 f/1.4 still does real well against the latest 50s.
It may do, but not in that test, the actual lens was Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux M ASPH if you check the link.

Fishing for shadows in a pool.
Louis Macneice

Old 01-03-2016   #55
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Congrats Raid !

Roland.
Someone needs to start a collection for me here!
My lens budget is now empty after having bought a 35/2 ZM and a CV 50/1.1 . I am "going modern"! Eeeeeeeek.

Old 01-03-2016   #56
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLivsey View Post
It may do, but not in that test, the actual lens was Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux M ASPH if you check the link.
Sorry for not being clear. I did mean the asph version. It's quite a bit older than several of the other fifties listed. [original post revised' thanks]

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

My Flickr

Old 01-03-2016   #57
ChrisLivsey

Quote:
Sorry for not being clear. I did mean the asph version. It's quite a bit older than several of the other fifties listed. [original post revised' thanks]
I was rather hoping you did mean the older version, which is the one I have, que sera sera.

On the original @Lens Rentals I did find it very interesting how the astigmatism of the f1.5 Sonnar went from a soggy bottom 240 wide open ( not that wide in this company) to a better than all the rest 24, including the Otus, at f2, that's some change, but OT

Louis Macneice

Old 01-03-2016   #58
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLivsey View Post
I was rather hoping you did mean the older version, which is the one I have, que sera sera.

On the original @Lens Rentals I did find it very interesting how the astigmatism of the f1.5 Sonnar went from a soggy bottom 240 wide open ( not that wide in this company) to a better than all the rest 24, including the Otus, at f2, that's some change, but OT
sent you a pm (didn't want to lead things too far astray)

My Flickr

Old 01-03-2016   #59
ChrisLivsey

Quote:
sent you a pm (didn't want to lead things too far astray)
Appreciated.

Louis Macneice

Old 01-03-2016   #60
Lss

Quote:
But, for Lss, the lens shifts noticeably backwards when closing down (see the second picture in the OP). Maybe this is what you were seeing ?
Yes, there is a significant focus shift on the Nokton. But I am referring to the curvature of the in-focus plane, which can in some cases be disturbing at middle and far distances in general photography.

A good way to test for this is a landscape with fine detail (such as a meadow) that you can shoot from a slightly elevated viewpoint. You should get a clear view from close to infinity focus. The resulting images are probably not very interesting, and this is why I have binned the test shots I made myself. Now I regret that, as I can't go back to them and better conclude again on my findings. I would anyway be interested in someone testing this on a fullframe digital M, as I still don't own one. There was anyway a significant difference even on the M8.

Old 01-04-2016   #61
jkjod

I just recently rented the 50/1.1 to see how I liked it as a fast 50, I really liked the results. I used to own the VM 50/1.5 and like the character of the 50/1.1 more. While the VM 50/1.5 is extremely good, I just wanted something a little different for people pictures. My only wish is that it focused closer to around .8 meters. I'm extremely tempted now to pull the trigger on one. These are all Double-X at EI 800 in Microphen.

roll35-15.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr

roll34a.1-17.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr

roll34a.1-9.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr

roll34a.1-8.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr

Old 01-04-2016   #62
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

I have seen and handled this lens, but I do not own one.

From the photo examples shown, this lens is seriously good.

Old 01-04-2016   #63
agoglanian
Reconnected.

I had one last year and though it wasn't perfect, it gave me what I was looking for. I thought it was indeed rather large, but manageable. Mine had an unfortunate accident during the middle of the year so I wound up selling it to someone who was going to repair it.

The image quality was just fine though, and for my usage I really only used it between f1.1-2.

As such I wound up buying the 35 f/1.2 II as a replacement, and though I love the quality of the lens I hate the size of it. Haha it's just so chunky on M bodies, I almost feel it's better suited to Sony bodies!

Bottom line: I am grateful that Voigtlander is an available option for us, putting out really quite good lenses at fairly reasonable prices.

M-A | M4-P | M240 | F | GR

Instagram. | Website.

Old 04-08-2016   #64
Theo Scholten

I think the Nokton rocks...

Vintage dress shoot with Rebecca by Theo Scholten, on Flickr
Theo

Old 04-10-2016   #65
ferider

Very cool, Theo.

"Pinball Wizards"

Roland.

Old 04-10-2016   #66
uhoh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoglanian View Post
I had one last year and though it wasn't perfect, it gave me what I was looking for. I thought it was indeed rather large, but manageable. Mine had an unfortunate accident during the middle of the year so I wound up selling it to someone who was going to repair it.

The image quality was just fine though, and for my usage I really only used it between f1.1-2.

As such I wound up buying the 35 f/1.2 II as a replacement, and though I love the quality of the lens I hate the size of it. Haha it's just so chunky on M bodies, I almost feel it's better suited to Sony bodies!

Bottom line: I am grateful that Voigtlander is an available option for us, putting out really quite good lenses at fairly reasonable prices.
Especially if you want to shoot a M9 in dim conditions, these two lenses offer an affordable way to do it.

I think the 35/1.2 is even more useful, because you have a little DOF at 1.2

The render and colors are totally different. Each quite good in it's own way, but in broad daylight it's hard to justify the size. Some people don't care. But an M with a tiny lens is really nice.

Old 04-10-2016   #67
peterm1

I am a little bemused by the dislike some people have for this lens. Some (not all) of them strike me as Leica Lens snobs I must say. However I accept though that some have valid and more balanced reasons for preferring other lenses so do not be offended and assume I am lumping anyone here with that group. But the Digital Rev TV review of this lens by Kai (who I otherwise enjoy) is a case in point. He bags the lens just because its not a Noctilux. Then again Kai cant always be taken very seriously.

While the Nokton is not the same as a Leica Noctilux I do not think anyone seriously pretends it is or can be. After all it is one tenth the price and for the money it does a pretty good job. Sad the bokeh is not as soft but it performs well on both my M body and in some ways even better (due to focusing issues) on a Sony or M4/3 body where its razor thin depth of field does not make focusing such a challenge. In short it may not be a great lens but it is certainly a good performer and I would not sell mine in a hurry.

Old 04-11-2016   #68
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
In any case, the Nokton is much sharper than the Noctilux.
Agree.

Old 04-11-2016   #69
ferider

Marty

Old 06-09-2016   #70
ferider

Still a fan of this 50. From our recent camping trip (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=156235), at f5.6 or so.

Old 10-24-2016   #71
ferider

My better half at our Oktoberfest last Sat.

Old 01-14-2017   #72
ferider

Still feel this is a great landscape lens. An Adams quotation in Utah:

And a color shot close by:

Roland.

Old 01-14-2017   #73
helenhill
a Click in Time...

another train, another ride
by Helen Hill, on Flickr

A Lover of Leica M's...

Old 01-14-2017   #74
raid
Dad Photographer

Mentioning again this lens makes me want to use it extensively in the next long trip. It can set the theme for me on how to take photos during a trip.

Old 01-14-2017   #75
helenhill
a Click in Time...

Circle of Light
by Helen Hill, on Flickr

A Lover of Leica M's...

Old 01-14-2017   #76
helenhill
a Click in Time...

a simple bus ride... a Beautiful sea of Heads...the starkness of light Against dark....is DIVINE
by Helen Hill, on Flickr

A Lover of Leica M's...

Old 01-14-2017   #77
helenhill
a Click in Time...

feel work... finished
by Helen Hill, on Flickr

A Lover of Leica M's...

Old 01-14-2017   #78
helenhill
a Click in Time...

a view of Bergdorf Goodman Window...
by Helen Hill, on Flickr

A Lover of Leica M's...

Old 01-14-2017   #79
helenhill
a Click in Time...

enchanting....
by Helen Hill, on Flickr

A Lover of Leica M's...

Old 01-14-2017   #80
ChrisLivsey

Lovely work Helen, especially "Circle of Light" just made by the eye highlight.

Louis Macneice