Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica SL

Leica SL: Steve Huff's Camera of the year
Old 11-30-2015   #1
uhoh7

Leica SL: Steve Huff's Camera of the year

Leica SL is Camera of the year for Steve Huff

"It is a new era for Leica as they have created a system camera that beats every single mirrorless camera made today, and IMO, beats any DSLR (but I am not a DSLR guy) with its build, simplicity, EVF, and overall quality and usability."

Here is his full review

It's a pretty wild stream of consciousness review LOL He goes Jack Kerouac but with fewer chords

"In all honesty, it is responsible for lifting me out of a “funk” I was in with my shooting as it is very inspiring and it just makes you want to go out and shoot. It is a very inspiring tool."

Also he thinks this is basically the best zoom he has ever seen! He's very often over the top but this time it's like when that bolide hit the Chesapeake and made a tsunami that crested the Appalachians He has bought both the body and the zoom!

I love it

Old 11-30-2015   #2
flyingpalm

Not sure, seems like every camera he used might be the camera of the year.

Old 11-30-2015   #3
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I'll be needing Ken Rockwell's opinion before I order one!

Old 11-30-2015   #4
kanzlr
Hexaneur

I found it especially funny that he thinks this is THE camera for weddings.

no fast telephotos, no wireless RF flashes, no 70-200...hm. I am not sure

Old 11-30-2015   #5
Emile de Leon

And then...it ...breaks...down....

Old 12-01-2015   #6
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Why should it? Up to the M9 Leica digitals could be temperamental, from the 240 onwards, breakdowns are few. I see more complaints on CaNikon forums than on LUF nowadays. (Fortunately)

jaapvphotography

Old 12-01-2015   #7
JChrome
Street Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpalm View Post
Not sure, seems like every camera he used might be the camera of the year.

I've yet to see many reviews from him that aren't glowing.

www.stillthrill.com

Old 12-01-2015   #8
lynnb

Has Mr Puts reviewed it yet?

Old 12-01-2015   #9
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChrome View Post
I've yet to see many reviews from him that aren't glowing.
He only posts what he likes, that is why... and he falls in and out of love easy it seems.

Old 12-01-2015   #10
icebear

Obviously the ergonomics, the size of the lens make it not the first choice camera for a lot of people, me included. I walk around with my cameras for a couple of hours. I guess 1hr max. with the SL and the zoom lens. It might be a fantastic piece of equipment, the new viewfinder is the best of any camera, period but the SL is definitely not for street shooting.

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 12-01-2015   #11
f16sunshine

Is it Huff, Puff, or Fluff ?

I used to like to read him but it all seems so puffed and fluffed up these days.
Maybe he only reviews great products ?

Old 12-01-2015   #12
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Maybe he only reviews great products ?
Or maybe if he doesn't write "great" reviews, he doesn't get product to test, and then loses advertising, and livelihood.

He seems like a nice guy, but I take his reviews with a grain of salt.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories & Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 12-01-2015   #13
kanzlr
Hexaneur

Steve himself says that: "I use and try all, but only write about the ones I like, which I have said for years."

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2015/0...comment-360466

Old 12-01-2015   #14
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Huff is hopeless in terms of gear review. Nice blogger, not technical at all, with charming photos of same chubby kid over years. Google brings his reviews on RF lenses, every time I read it - waste of my time.

Old 12-01-2015   #15
splitimageview

It's all about affiliate revenue.

Old 12-01-2015   #16
taemo

nice person, had the pleasure of buying his Mitakon 00001 50mm 0.95 last year but like all online bloggers/reviewers out there, they are in to make a living so obviously they will post only positive and glowing reviews that will attract advertisement and sponsorship.

this comment on FM made me laugh
Quote:
Spyro P. wrote:
this guy has the attention span of a goldfish

Old 12-01-2015   #17
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
It's all about affiliate revenue.
As long as people understand that, there's nothing wrong with that.
As concerns the SL, spend some time on the Leica Users Forum looking at the SL images thread, especially those made with the 24-90. If results matter, Huff's opinion about this camera is hard to discount. Just because I can't afford it, that's not a blemish on the device, that's my fault. And just because he raves about everything.....that doesn't mean he might not be on the mark here.

Old 12-01-2015   #18
splitimageview

It's highly unlikely that his review is going to convince people that were looking at other cameras to suddenly consider the LS with 24-90 no matter how good it is. The price is simply far too high. This camera is designed for well-heeled dyed-in-the-wool Leica aficionados, of which there are a few thousand around the world.

Old 12-01-2015   #19
photomoof
Fischli & Weiss Sculpture

Am I missing something here?

Old 12-01-2015   #20
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
"In all honesty, it is responsible for lifting me out of a “funk” I was in with my shooting as it is very inspiring and it just makes you want to go out and shoot. It is a very inspiring tool."
How can a tool be inspiring. Only on the internet do people give so much weight to the opinion of a complete stranger

WebsiteFlickrInsta

Old 12-01-2015   #21
uhoh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by taemo View Post
nice person, had the pleasure of buying his Mitakon 00001 50mm 0.95 last year but like all online bloggers/reviewers out there, they are in to make a living so obviously they will post only positive and glowing reviews that will attract advertisement and sponsorship.

this comment on FM made me laugh
Quote:
Spyro P. wrote:
this guy has the attention span of a goldfish
Huff is not alone, though his motivations may be more complicated than others. GAS is no figment. I know it all too well, but for me it's lenses, while new bodies make me squint. This year I've watched the A7II go from the "it" camera to "meh". Obviously right now the A7r2 is "it", in terms of general raving.

Nevertheless, I think Huff has convinced himself the camera is wonderful, and inspiring. Can we really put him down for that when lots of members here use a change for inspiration? Raid is going Linhof, Keith broke down and bought a 240, so Steve has the right to a new muse as well

For real equipment review, a Puts, or Sean Reid, or even Ming is more useful and the thread a FM you quote now has many detailed impressions from real users who paid real money, and have many bodies, Leica S etc, so it's not hard now to get an idea of the Camera's foibles:

at about page 20, they start to really chime in:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1393428/18

But let's not forget, unlike the A7r2, this camera appeared to absolute ridicule by the most influential site in the mass market, DPR, who posted pictures of it in tiny hands and saw "no reason to buy it". The bashing in forums which followed was really wild, but to be honest, the original Sony A7 also faced extreme skepticism on it's announcement.

So Huff's review might be viewed in context of multiple factors, and whatever his own motivation, he only gets to make one "camera of the year".

The SL is an underdog and a gorgeous piece of equipment which much thought and care in design, though not perfect in numerous different ways. I can't afford one, and if I could I might buy a used S 006 instead, but I admire the camera

Old 12-01-2015   #22
rbelyell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
As long as people understand that, there's nothing wrong with that.
As concerns the SL, spend some time on the Leica Users Forum looking at the SL images thread, especially those made with the 24-90. If results matter, Huff's opinion about this camera is hard to discount. Just because I can't afford it, that's not a blemish on the device, that's my fault. And just because he raves about everything.....that doesn't mean he might not be on the mark here.
were it only results that matter we would all be shooting large format film cameras. its not only results, and its not only price. as with every other life choice, its a balancing of factors. in this case, even putting price aside, its simply quality vs bulk. bulk may not matter to some AND THATS FINE, but ignoring its extreme-ness in this case is simply to ignore an objective reality. for many photographers the advent of mirrorless (ironically, quite like the advent of the leica rangefinder) meant we could have quality without bulk--and there are many choices out there where that can be easily had without this product. reintroduce price to the equation and its a no brainer for a whole bunch of people.

Old 12-01-2015   #23
MCTuomey

i liked huff's street bio-pic project back when. his reviews are useless for me - i'm not in the market now anyway.

SL seems like a pretty fine platform for folks with a nice set of R lenses (and maybe M too), and might want an AF capable or zoom lens or two for flexibility.

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

Gear: more than enough, film and digital

My Flickr

Old 12-01-2015   #24
35photo

If you only read/look at one persons opinion/set images from a camera then your a fool... You have to look at the whole picture..pun intended. I've been following Huff for a long time now.. He has pretty much stayed on same with the glowing reviews which is fine, I don't pay any attention to is photography, I don't really consider him much of a photographer, he is just a gear head trying to make some coin..

Old 12-01-2015   #25
photomoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauffray View Post
How can a tool be inspiring. Only on the internet do people give so much weight to the opinion of a complete stranger
And he really is a "stranger."

I admit to being interested in the equipment of photographers who are showing in the galleries. I am enough of a gearhead to wonder what someone is using to make great photographs, even though I should know better. It's just human nature.

So yes, I will be interested in Jeff Wall, or James Casebere's gear, but not Steve Huff's.

I might as well be curious about someone on the subway, at least I can chat personally with them.

http://whitney.org/image_columns/001...ioshot_649.jpg

Old 12-01-2015   #26
littleearth

Camera of the month maybe, or at least until a new Sony or M comes out !
Get dem views Mr Steve Gearhead Huff !

Old 12-01-2015   #27
Kent
Finally at home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post

Yes.

http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/camera/styled-52/
Main Lenses: Nikkor, Leica, Voigtländer, Fuji, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Samyang etc.
Click me...

Old 12-01-2015   #28
35photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomoof View Post
And he really is a "stranger."

I admit to being interested in the equipment of photographers who are showing in the galleries. I am enough of a gearhead to wonder what someone is using to make great photographs, even though I should know better. It's just human nature.

So yes, I will be interested in Jeff Wall, or James Casebere's gear, but not Steve Huff's.

I might as well be curious about someone on the subway, at least I can chat personally with them.

http://whitney.org/image_columns/001...ioshot_649.jpg
100% agree with you here. Ironically I usually don't like when someone asks the gear question even worse if some asks if do you use film or digital and why question, ugh in an interview with a "famous" photographer...

Old 12-01-2015   #29
photomoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
Is he an actual person, or some kind of AI at MIT or somewhere?

Old 12-01-2015   #30
35photo

Quote:
Is he an actual person, or some kind of AI at MIT or somewhere?
SO True!! Who actually reads all the those charts and other blah, THEY DON'T MEAN A THING!! I can imagine some nerd in a white lab coat with glasses testing all that Leica gear... ha

Old 12-01-2015   #31
jsrockit

Quote:
How can a tool be inspiring.
Why do you use a Leica MP instead of a Pentax K1000? I would imagine you find the MP nicer to work with... that can be call inspiration as well I would think.

Old 12-01-2015   #32
photomoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Why do you use a Leica MP instead of a Pentax K1000? I would imagine you find the MP nicer to work with... that can be call inspiration as well I would think.
I buy a new bicycle, and for a few weeks I ride more, but in the end one just has to do the miles. The equipment rush is like doing cocaine to be creative.

Old 12-01-2015   #33
35photo

Quote:
No question about it... someone else would rather shoot an K1000...We run in circles with this stuff its laughable that you have to even talk about it..

Old 12-01-2015   #34
Hsg
who dares wins

Quote:
It depends on the individual.

If someone has spent more time browsing ebay than actually taking or processing photos, gear is everything for them.

Old 12-01-2015   #35
Emile de Leon

He is a new car salesman..I mean..a new cam salesman..!
All I can think of about this cam..for 7.5K..is that in 12 to 24 mos..Sony or someone else..will come out with something better and much less expensive..
I have mixed feelings about this cam..definitely too big..and..too ugly..(is a lil yellow cukoo bird gonna pop out of that fake prism hump when the Leica door swings open at every shot..)
I would love the EV..and the solidity..and simplicity..
Hate that there is no articulated screen..
And so it goes..
I would have a hard time buying this cam at $3.5K..in todays market..

Old 12-01-2015   #36
olakiril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
He is a new car salesman..I mean..a new cam salesman..!
All I can think of about this cam..for 7.5K..is that in 12 to 24 mos..Sony or someone else..will come out with something better and much less expensive..
I have mixed feelings about this cam..definitely too big..and..too ugly..(is a lil yellow cukoo bird gonna pop out of that fake prism hump when the Leica door swings open at every shot..)
I would love the EV..and the solidity..and simplicity..
Hate that there is no articulated screen..
And so it goes..
I would have a hard time buying this cam at $3.5K..in todays market..
The problem is that except from the EVF, Sony is already making something better at a lower price

Old 12-01-2015   #37
jsrockit

Quote:
I buy a new bicycle, and for a few weeks I ride more, but in the end one just has to do the miles. The equipment rush is like doing cocaine to be creative.
Right I agree, but I'd rather do it with something I love using than something that isn't that great for what I want to do. Sometimes a tool can un-inspire as well.

Old 12-01-2015   #38
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by olakiril View Post
The problem is that except from the EVF, Sony is already making something better at a lower price
So you haven't actually seen the SL in person? The Sony is not the SL's competitor.

Old 12-01-2015   #39
olakiril

Quote:
So you haven't actually seen the SL in person?
Of course not when we are talking about >$4K cameras, my opinion is based on reading reviews & spec-sheets .
Quote:
The Sony is not the SL's competitor.
I don't see why not.

Old 12-01-2015   #40
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by olakiril View Post
I'm not so sure about that.

If one's idea of quality is how well the camera resolves, the Leica Q and SL with their teeny tiny 24mp sensors have already been shown to outresolve their 'equivalents' - the Sony RXii and the A7Rii.
And that is before you take into account that the Leicas are nicer to handle and use, and have better EVFs.

Personally it matters not a whit to me since I mainly shoot film, but I do find Huff's 'tests' amusing seeing he uses the best thing ever to take what seems to be the exact same pics of his wife, his kid, his dog, a bush in his yard and maybe a fire hydrant if he decides to leave his property line.

These sites are all about entertainment.