Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Hardware / Computers / Drives / etc

Hardware / Computers / Drives / etc This is the place to discuss the hardware to keep your digital pics more than just memories.

Aperture with OS X 8 and beyond: Compatibility?
Old 11-13-2015   #1
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

Aperture with OS X 8 and beyond: Compatibility?

By now we all know that Aperture is being phased out (maybe has been by now). I'm still running Snow Leopard (10.8). There are reports all over the web about dismal results when using Aperture with Lion and perhaps even worse with Mountain Lion.

Questions:

1. What is the latest version of OS X that will still run Aperture 3? I understand that at some point they sabotaged the OS so it won't run Aperture.

2. If Aperture 3 will run on El Capitan, is it any better than with Mountain Lion? Is it the one to get?

3. Same question, with Yosemite. Does it work with Aperture? If so, is it good with Aperture?

There are so many reports of later version than Snow Leopard either running slow, crashing, hanging, or not working at all with Aperture. I want to be really careful. I think my Macbook and iMac are from 2009.

Thanks!

Old 11-13-2015   #2
Timmyjoe

I'm using Aperture with OS 10.10 (Yosemite) and having no problems with Aperture. Be aware that Yosemite and El Capitan will try to get you to migrate your Aperture files over to the new Photo App. I haven't done that and have no intention of doing that.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories & Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 11-13-2015   #3
photomoof
Fischli & Weiss Sculpture

The Photo app is really oriented toward use of the iCloud/iPhone, it syncs all photos across all Apple devices, and allows one to keep tiny thumbnails on the iPhone, therefore allows many more photos to be taken on one's phone.

If you are like me and have moved completely to iPhone for vacation and casual photography, then Photo is great. I still have PS but am moving away from it also.

I have never used Aperture, but I very seriously doubt Photo would satisfy anyone used to it.

Photo does however allow use of extensions (like PS plugins) which make it much more useful. I use Pixelmator and Snapheal as extensions.

Old 11-13-2015   #4
splitimageview

No issues with Aperture and El Capitan here

Old 11-13-2015   #5
k__43
Registered Film User

dito - 10.11 & Aperture 3 works fine here

Old 11-13-2015   #6
GaryLH

After u finish upgrading to Yosemite or El-captitan, your version of Aperture could be non-capatible. Just download the latest level, your good to go.

Can't remember anymore if iPhoto had a preference for disable automatic import, but the new photo sure doesn't. Every time I stick a new SD card from different camera, in my iMac, the import menu for photo comes up until I disable it for that camera. A bit of a pain if u have enough different cameras.

If u are a foveon shooter, SPP seems to hang.

A bit more work, but safer if u need the computer a not sure what will work anymore...I would setup a bootable clone drive myself using Carbon Copy Cloner. U could also use Super Duper. Boot off the clone drive and install the new OS X there instead. Good way to check new OS and still be able to use the old one. When u are happy w/ new OS, clone from the bootable u created to the Mac HD.

U can also Google for Yosemite or El-Capitan related issues to c if u have driver or app problems, but Aperture will work..

Gary

Old 11-13-2015   #7
photomoof
Fischli & Weiss Sculpture

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLH View Post

Can't remember anymore if iPhoto had a preference for disable automatic import, but the new photo sure doesn't. Every time I stick a new SD card from different camera, in my iMac, the import menu for photo comes up until I disable it for that camera. A bit of a pain if u have enough different cameras.
It offers but it NOT automatic.

Once killed it is killed forever for that device, but it does require two mouse clicks. It would be a PITA if you have hundreds of cards, I only have a dozen, so they are all disabled.

Old 06-19-2016   #8
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

Here's a follow-up note:

Both my iMac and my 13" macbook are 2009, supplied with Snow leopard. To be cautious, I tried downloading El Capitan to my Macbook only. Aperture no longer worked ---> Long discussion with Apple ---> No fix for it. I could use Photo, but my version of Aperture is too old. If I had downloaded Aperture 3.6 in time, it would work with El Capitan. But you can't get 3.6 anymore--they took it away ---> their advice: restore Snow Leopard off the Time Machine backup. So I'm restoring from the Time Machine at this moment. Hope it works.

The reason for updating the OS was that a website I use would no longer interact with my computer. Apple told me I could probably get away with using Chrome with Snow Leopard. I'll try that.

Be aware of the finer points before bothering to switch to El Capitan. He said he thought the last version that would still run Aperture is Maverick. He also said he still uses Aperture and hates Photo!

Old 06-19-2016   #9
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I have tested Aperture running on:
2012 Mac mini, 2011 MacBook Air 13", 2013 MacBook Pro 13", 2015 MacBook Pro 15"
... All with El Capitan. No problems

I did a quick test of Aperture running on the macOS Sierra v10.12 preview that was released at Apple's conference last week. Again, no problems.

I suspect the age of your system is the problem, as 2009 hardware cannot support many of the frameworks that are in later versions of macOS.

G

Old 06-19-2016   #10
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

It's the age of my version of Aperture that Apple said is the problem. Had I downloaded Aperture 3,6 in time before they axed it, i would have been OK.

Old 06-19-2016   #11
Darthfeeble
Accidental Photographer

Oops! Moral of the story is to get updates as soon as you can see that they are good ones. I was a huge Aperture fan but have migrated to Lightroom and really don't feel like going back.

Old 06-19-2016   #12
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
It's the age of my version of Aperture that Apple said is the problem. Had I downloaded Aperture 3,6 in time before they axed it, i would have been OK.
So it's just a matter of getting the last revision of Aperture? Hmm. I would think an Apple support representative would be able to get that for you. Wouldn't hurt to ask...

G