Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic

Micro 4/3 Cameras Olympus Panasonic This forum is for all Micro 4/3 cameras of any camera make.

Old 01-05-2016   #81
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

I've been in and out of m4/3 system since E-P1. I like the size of the overall system with the given feature-set. I don't like the native aspect ratio and very deep DOF per effective FOV for general use.

I currently use E-M5 II for underwater photography because I like 4:3 aspect ratio and deeper DOF for underwater photo. The format and its characteristics work for the specific purpose. Olympus offers their official underwater housings and the overall cost for underwater photography is significantly lower than many other systems out there (most of time you'll have to buy 3rd party housing that costs $$$$), and decisively smaller physical size compared to FF is quite a bit of attraction when you are diving with heavy gear in sub 50F water. Also I'm now using E-M5 II to digitalize my wife's paintings and drawings. Again, the format makes sense for this purpose.

For general photography (travel, daily carry, street, etc), I like 3:2 ratio, and although I know I can just crop it, there is a bit of weird feeling about not using the naive format of the system. I'm aware it's a very naive idea to many, but still. I'm finding Fuji's APS-C sensor system with fast lenses to be the sweet spot for me for general photography, and keeping the m4/3 for specialized purposes.

b/w guy.

flickr | RFF Gallery | @SuguruN | Instagram | Portfolio

Old 01-05-2016   #82
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H-L View Post
JoeV,

One possible answer could be the size of the pixel well itself. Remember that most micro 4/3 sensors are 16 megapixels or so. If you quadruple that, to full-frame size, that would be the equivalent pixel density of packing 64 megapixels into a full frame sensor.
Conversely, if you take one of those high pixel density Sony FF chips, like the 42mp example, and divide it by 4, should it perform the same as a 1st generation, 10mp m4/3 sensor from 2008? Heck no, it'll still perform way better. Because the difference has to do with the technology node, not the sensor size.

I agree that pixel well size has something to do with it, but recent advances in sensor tech, like backside illumination and metal lines behind the sensor wells, has much more to do with the difference. It's just that, thus far, Olympus and Panasonic haven't been able to justify in their business models the highest advancements in sensor tech. Or Sony won't sell it to them in m4/3 sizes.

~Joe

PS: If I were Sony, I'd be damned if I ever sold my best sensor tech to a micro-4/3 consortium manufacturer. Because Sony themselves are trying to dominate the mirrorless market with a competing product line. I contend it's a strategic business decision why m4/3 cameras perform worse in dynamic range and ISO noise. Olympus and Panasonic would have to source (or develop themselves) an equivalent performing sensor tech that doesn't violate Sony's patents.

And so my contention is that the conventional wisdom in the digital camera world, that m4/3 intrinsically underperforms FF for dynamic range and ISO noise, is not based on physics but economics and politics.

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 01-05-2016   #83
seakayaker1

I still have a Panasonic GF1, a great little camera.

They have some great lenses and as someone mentioned there is an adaptor for just about any type of lenses that can be used on the M4/3. Loved the Contax 45/2 and 90/2.8 on the GF1 as well as many others.'

Used M4/3 cameras can be pretty inexpensive as well.

Old 01-05-2016   #84
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

Okay, I haven't beat this horse dead enough...but here's a thought experiment that, if you have a few spare thousands of dollars just burning a hole in your pocket, you could do yourself.

Go purchase the latest Sony FF mirrorless offering. Take off the lens and apply some black electrical tape to the periphery of the sensor, leaving an open area in the middle the same size as a m4/3 sensor.

Now, assuming you haven't damaged the sensor - and ignoring resolutions differences - the dynamic range and high ISO noise should still be the same as before, easily outperforming the best m4/3 sensor offered to date.

So the differences have little or nothing to do with sensor size, but with the technology node, which is driven by Sony's huge, multi-billions of dollars investment, over decades, in sensor tech. It's their strategic advantage, and they aren't selling it out easily.

I'm done for now.

~Joe

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 01-05-2016   #85
Doug

5 years ago I got my wife a Panasonic G2 with 14-45mm. The articulated rear screen was a must-have. She's still happily using it, suffering not a trace of GAS, bless her!

Old 01-05-2016   #86
sevres_babylone

For the last couple of months, I've been using my Oly E-M5 with my Cosina Voigtlander 40mm in my concert kit (along with an M9 and 50mm and GR for 28mm). I like the handling of the other other 2 cameras better, but am not complaining about the results.
Erika Werry - Joe Strummer Tribute by sevres babylone, en Flickr

Last edited by sevres_babylone : 01-05-2016 at 19:17. Reason: Replaced image with smaller image

Old 01-05-2016   #87
arseniii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
I hardly shoot digital now, bu my Oly E-P1 and Zuiko 17/2.8 is probably my all time favorite digital camera. I sold 12x16 prints in a gallery from my E-P1.
I find the Oly 12mp sensor produces the most film (color negative) like results of any digital that I've used.
I agree, E-P1 is one hell of the camera. Solid and simple, almost as a Leica M. I love mine, paired with an OVF and a 20mm Panasonic lens this combo is heaven. Didn't find any other m43 camera to my liking yet. Tried E-P5 but it had a different sensor characteristics and an annoying shutter shock issue...

Old 01-05-2016   #88
Manuel Patino

I went from a Nikon D60 to the EM-5 and I was totally enamored with the m43 system. Tried the GX7 Pany and the EP-5 (wonderful camera). Finally I got the EM-1. I've had a good number of native M43 lenses including the PL 25 f1.4, PL 20 f1.7, Oly 17 f1.7, Oly 12-40f2.8 Pany 35-100 f2.8 and several other zoom lenses up 30mm.

The weakness of the m43 system for me is the low light capabilities, dynamic range. I also find myself cropping the images to compose the shot and the small sensor just does not provide me with the images I often want.

To be sure, the m43 system has wonderful cameras and I've captured many great images with my Olympus cameras. I guess I just want more than the system can provide. Anyway, I ended up buying a used Leica M240 and soon followed it with several Leica lenses. Now I shoot almost exclusively with the M240 and I am mostly thrilled with the results.

I still have the EM-1, the 12-40 f2.8 as well as a few more primes and zooms. Of course, I can use all my M mount lenses as well as other adapted lenses, but why bother? I rather use my Leica lenses on the FF camera.. Yes, m43 is a good system, but it's not really what I want...

Old 01-05-2016   #89
uhoh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy101 View Post
You mean the diseases they brought to America and that killed off most locals?
Any big event is a matter of multiple factors. How do you think they transported those diseases?

Tools matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
So, why does it seem that mostly FF sensors are using the more sophisticated sensor technologies - making it SEEM as if it had something to do intrinsically with sensor size itself? I think it's because of the economics of the camera market. A FF sensor can be sold to the consumer, as part of the overall cost of the camera, for much more than 4x its die-cost, as compared to a m4/3 sensor. So the newer design and manufacturing processes can be employed with making FF chips, and more easily paid for with FF cameras. So there's market acceptance for a bigger mark-up with FF cameras. It's what people expect. You can't easily make money selling Chevy sedans with Porsche engines, the market won't bear with the cost. So you put a cheaper engine, less sophisticated, in a cheaper car.

~Joe
M43 is perfectly fine, but let's not pretend it can equal FF any more than the FF can produce the results of a good medium format camera, in certain circumstances.

There is always a better camera. We each decide what we will use. Yes, a great photographer will out shoot me with his M43, and me with my M9. Who cares? What's important to me personally is that I like my own FF images better than my crops ones. I'd bet I would like my own MF images better yet, but that's a bridge too far for me. But if I had alot of extra money, I would go there, for sure.

Today, many photographers use more than one system anyway. Lots of DSLR shooters use M43 for daily use because they are nice and small. But there are some FF machines, like the RX1 which are just as small, and we will seem so smaller interchangeable EVILs pretty soon I wager. They won't be as affordable as M43. But they may not have as high profit margins either. I'd wager most M43s have a higher profit margin as a percent of cost than the Leica SL.

Old 01-05-2016   #90
tyrone.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
Go purchase the latest Sony FF mirrorless offering. Take off the lens and apply some black electrical tape to the periphery of the sensor, leaving an open area in the middle the same size as a m4/3 sensor.

Now, assuming you haven't damaged the sensor - and ignoring resolutions differences - the dynamic range and high ISO noise should still be the same as before, easily outperforming the best m4/3 sensor offered to date.

So the differences have little or nothing to do with sensor size, but with the technology node, which is driven by Sony's huge, multi-billions of dollars investment, over decades, in sensor tech. It's their strategic advantage, and they aren't selling it out easily.

I'm done for now.

~Joe
Fair point Joe. Although it also supports why m4/3 is also 'good enough'. I much prefer the performance of my Pen e-p3 over my old APC sized Pentax *istDL. Technology has moved on and although the Pentax is still fine, the Pen puts it in the shade in many respects, especially sensor noise. But also I don't have to drag a whole big DSLR around with anymore either. If I had the money for a Sony A7, I'd be there. Man, FF and pixel peeping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
M43 is perfectly fine, but let's not pretend it can equal FF any more than the FF can produce the results of a good medium format camera, in certain circumstances.

There is always a better camera. We each decide what we will use. Yes, a great photographer will out shoot me with his M43, and me with my M9. Who cares? What's important to me personally is that I like my own FF images better than my crops ones. I'd bet I would like my own MF images better yet, but that's a bridge too far for me. But if I had alot of extra money, I would go there, for sure.
There are some good points here. There's always better, more resolution, dynamic range and so on. I take a lot of photo's of the kids with my m4/3 but I also do a lot still life, candid street, landscape and some art type photography. I like the convenience and the size and the quality of m4/3 as a collection of compromises. A good series of tradeoffs for me. But I still shoot film, develop and catalogue negative 35mm. I think film is better but I wouldn't want to give up either and m4/3 is the only digital I shoot.

Old 01-06-2016   #91
btgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrone.s View Post
Fair point Joe. Although it also supports why m4/3 is also 'good enough'. I much prefer the performance of my Pen e-p3 over my old APC sized Pentax *istDL. Technology has moved on and although the Pentax is still fine, the Pen puts it in the shade in many respects, especially sensor noise. But also I don't have to drag a whole big DSLR around with anymore either. If I had the money for a Sony A7, I'd be there. Man, FF and pixel peeping!
IstDL is quite historical, several gens behind E-P3. In digital world that means a lot. Tiny K-S1 has shown me how outdated my other Pentax, IstD, is. Price and features of K-S1 leave me with no questions if I spent money right way. And someone would have to work very very hard to just spark my interest in FF.

Old 01-06-2016   #92
ianstamatic

All the doubters need to go taking some photos with m34.
I use GH series m34 lots. On paid professional shoots.
Here are some shots from a recent GMC TV commercial, i was unit photographer on, all panny m34 + kit lens. The guy with the cameras is Michael Avedon - Richard's grandson. I hate using sound blimps and my Nikon DSLR was too noisy, spitting out light AF assist beams and still missing focus. I used the panasonic instead. The shots where used for the PR campaign and widely published (Details Magazine, NYTimes etc)

m34 is unobtrusive and quiet. a very effective tool.

It can also do awesome video like this, which again i shot on m34

https://youtu.be/hgr0ILaOSns

My site

My Blog
My Instagram

Rollei 2.8E, II and Vb, Autocord, Ricoh Diacord +225, Ikoflex
Leica M3 x2 + CL, Contax G1 +28 +45 +90, Rollei 35s, Nikon F3, Lynx 14, Oly OM1, 35RC, 35SP,Konica EE, S2
Fuji gs645 folder +645W, Agfa Isolette's J,I, III, Iskra x2, Welta Waltur x2, Zenobia x3, Super Ikonta 532/16, ZI Nettar
Mamiya RZ Pro x2 bods, 50, 65, 110, 180, 240
Crown Graphic, Toyo 45a : 75 + 90 + 120 +135 +150 + 203 + 210 + 240
PhotoTherm SSK-8R, Aztec Drum Scanner

Old 01-06-2016   #93
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

ianstamatic, great showcase of what m4/3 can do!

Here are some example of the (kinda) opposite end of the spectrum of m4/3 use case.

Most of them are shot with tiny and cheap E-PM1 with the kit lens or 9-18mm Zuiko.

Not so little Squishy by Suguru Nishioka, on Flickr

Grumpy Fish is grumpy. by Suguru Nishioka, on Flickr

Enjoy Your Stay by Suguru Nishioka, on Flickr

Nap Time by Suguru Nishioka, on Flickr

Holly Jelly by Suguru Nishioka, on Flickr

Servants of the Nightmare by Suguru Nishioka, on Flickr

Lost in the forest by Suguru Nishioka, on Flickr

White Star by Suguru Nishioka, on Flickr
Last one is with E-M5 II + 25/1.8 combo that I just started using for underwater.

b/w guy.

flickr | RFF Gallery | @SuguruN | Instagram | Portfolio

Old 01-06-2016   #94
ianstamatic

Awesome underwater shots !! Great color and some fantastic composition
Lost in the forest shot is especially well done.
Agreed opposite ends of the spectrum but goes to show how versatile m34 cameras can be !!

My site

My Blog
My Instagram

Rollei 2.8E, II and Vb, Autocord, Ricoh Diacord +225, Ikoflex
Leica M3 x2 + CL, Contax G1 +28 +45 +90, Rollei 35s, Nikon F3, Lynx 14, Oly OM1, 35RC, 35SP,Konica EE, S2
Fuji gs645 folder +645W, Agfa Isolette's J,I, III, Iskra x2, Welta Waltur x2, Zenobia x3, Super Ikonta 532/16, ZI Nettar
Mamiya RZ Pro x2 bods, 50, 65, 110, 180, 240
Crown Graphic, Toyo 45a : 75 + 90 + 120 +135 +150 + 203 + 210 + 240
PhotoTherm SSK-8R, Aztec Drum Scanner

Old 01-06-2016   #95
wojtek

I can't imagine better travel kit than my trusty OM-D EM5, however recently I started going with Ricoh GR as it's even smaller and lighter. I have D610 with all kinds of expensive glass but I hate it. If I didn't do commercial jobs from time to time where I have to rely on high ISO settings I wouldn't even bother keeping it. Having said that, I did rather big commercial jobs with EM5, reportage style (like the documentary from Edinburgh International Fashion Festival) and it was fine.

EM-5 with the pancake zoom is the travel wonder. But I loved 45mm 1.8 and 25mm 1.8 I no longer have, too. I used it a lot with my old Pentax 50mm lens, too, before I got 45mm Zuiko. This was lovely.

People complain about Oly's menus and they are a nightmare but since setting it up I use it only for formatting of the card. I see no reason to dwell in them, the 'Quick menu' provides everything I need.

I don't have a problem with depth of field, either. There's plenty of it at 1.8 or so (more than I need) and most of my stuff I am shooting around 5.6-8 anyway.

I am actually thinking about re-investing in lenses as I miss them a lot.

EM5 with SMC-M Pentax 50mm 1.4

EM5 with the pancake zoom, Australia 2015:

I travelled through Vietnam with just Oly and 45mm 1.8. It was that good. The only camera (other than small compacts) that I can carry whole day without going bonkers.

Omnomnom. ;D

Most of the photographs in my book were taken with OMD and Ricoh... Nice combo.

If Olympus cranked up their high iso capabilities, there would be no better camera system on Earth (imo).

Old 01-06-2016   #96
Oscuro
He's French, I'm Italian.

I love the responsiveness, the size, and the little lenses. That 14/2.5 is a beaut.
My biggest complaint is the jpg color rendition. Bear in mind my only experience is with the Panasonic line. Love the G1 and GF1, the Gx1 not so much.
Anyone else here struggle with Panasonic's color approach?
Full disclosure: I would rather drink snot than shoot raw.

Old 01-06-2016   #97
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Nice grabs Wojtek.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 01-06-2016   #98
Oscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojtek View Post
I can't imagine better travel kit than my trusty OM-D EM5, however recently I started going with Ricoh GR as it's even smaller and lighter. I have D610 with all kinds of expensive glass but I hate it. If I didn't do commercial jobs from time to time where I have to rely on high ISO settings I wouldn't even bother keeping it. Having said that, I did rather big commercial jobs with EM5, reportage style (like the documentary from Edinburgh International Fashion Festival) and it was fine. EM-5 with the pancake zoom is the travel wonder. But I loved 45mm 1.8 and 25mm 1.8 I no longer have, too. I used it a lot with my old Pentax 50mm lens, too, before I got 45mm Zuiko. This was lovely. People complain about Oly's menus and they are a nightmare but since setting it up I use it only for formatting of the card. I see no reason to dwell in them, the 'Quick menu' provides everything I need. I don't have a problem with depth of field, either. There's plenty of it at 1.8 or so (more than I need) and most of my stuff I am shooting around 5.6-8 anyway. I am actually thinking about re-investing in lenses as I miss them a lot. EM5 with SMC-M Pentax 50mm 1.4 EM5 with the pancake zoom, Australia 2015: I travelled through Vietnam with just Oly and 45mm 1.8. It was that good. The only camera (other than small compacts) that I can carry whole day without going bonkers. Omnomnom. ;D Most of the photographs in my book were taken with OMD and Ricoh... Nice combo. If Olympus cranked up their high iso capabilities, there would be no better camera system on Earth (imo).
Nice. Are those SOOC jpegs?

Old 01-07-2016   #99
wojtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscuro View Post
Nice. Are those SOOC jpegs?
Nope. I only shoot raw. I don't think I shot a single jpeg in last 10 years... Haha.

Have a couple more... Most shot with either the kit, 25mm 1.8 or 45 1.8, in no particular order. Some old Pentax glass as before, too.

(excuse framing with white, these were for Instagram).

Old 01-07-2016   #100
Oscuro

Quote:
Nope. I only shoot raw. I don't think I shot a single jpeg in last 10 years... Haha. Have a couple more... Most shot with either the kit, 25mm 1.8 or 45 1.8, in no particular order. Some old Pentax glass as before, too. (excuse framing with white, these were for Instagram).
Haha, indeed. Let me ask you, do you spend a lot of time on WB in post?

Old 01-07-2016   #101
Texsport

Like many here, I am blessed/cursed with curiosity and a collecting bug.

My 1st camera was a Nikkormat with 55/1.2 loaded with 800ASA film to photograph my first born as she slept.

2nd camera was a Linhof 617, and I went medium format crazy, using and collecting everything(6X6,6X7,6X9,6X12,6X17,4X5) and concentrating on landscapes and family portraits for enlargement.

Now, with more free time on our hands, and 6 grand kids, grandma wants lots of pictures, right now, for the internet! I bought her an OMD. She declared it too complicated, once she discovered her iPad.

The OMD was now mine,so, with still a few assigned tasks related to family photos, I began to use the OMD. Gradually, I experimented and found that it has a nice niche in my photography.

It's is now my special needs camera-----mostly using adapted non-native lenses:

- fast turnover portraits for social media - Biotar 58/2,Nikon 135.2, Canon 200/1.8

- macro photography - Vivitar 90/2.5, Vivitar 90-180/4.5 Flat Field, etc

- telephoto photography - Canon 70-300/4-5.6,Norita 250/4.5,Olympus 350/2.8,Zoomar 1000/8

- low light photography - Canon & Nikon 50-55/1.2,Voightlander 17.5/0.95,Voigt 10.5/0.95

- concert photography - several of the above.

So, it's my fast and crazy camera now. It's part of the walking around bags with XPan and Widelux, and a valued addition - even if accidental.

I have quite a number of medium format prints, duplicating something first discovered with the OMD.

It's not the perfect camera, but it may be all I need for lots of fun!

Texsport

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough cameras, lenses, guns, or golf clubs - oh, and diamonds, according to her! - Texsport

"That girl can make a dog break his chain!" - Justified - 2015.

Old 01-07-2016   #102
wojtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscuro View Post
Haha, indeed. Let me ask you, do you spend a lot of time on WB in post?
No. Just tweaking a little. Perhaps 5 minutes per photograph a most? Unless some dodging/burning is required, obviously.

Old 01-07-2016   #103
Oscuro

Quote:
No. Just tweaking a little. Perhaps 5 minutes per photograph a most? Unless some dodging/burning is required, obviously.
Cool. Thanks. I'll have to look at the OMD.

Old 01-08-2016   #104
Ruhayat

I still don't understand why Olympus hasn't come out with digital versions of their fixed lens compact cameras in the Trip / Pen / RC form factors. A 40mm Trip-D would do for me, and a 28mm would be a great second body for travel.

If they come out with a _real_ copy of the Pen F that looks like today's Pen EPL7 but with built-in viewfinder, I might just go back to the m4/3 platform. The reasonably new EM5 Mk II looks a lot better than my old EM5 did and more like an original OM, but (a) I find the grip on the right hand side still too cramped, and (b) it lacks the physical Aperture-Shutter-ISO trinity that makes me opt for Fuji XT10.

Old 01-08-2016   #105
grouchos_tash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I just can't get into it. The Olympus E-M1 is a nice camera, and there are some really nice lenses, but I don't like the 4:3 aspect ratio. To get away from that, you need to use a cropped jpeg file. That's a no go for me too. I stick to APSC and FF 2:3 formats.
Me to, the aspect ratio is why I sold my bronica 645 as well.

flickr

Old 01-08-2016   #106
Lss

I would also be interested in a fixed-lens compact with a 14mm or 20mm lens from Olympus (or Panasonic). I enjoyed the OM-D E-M5 most with the excellent 14/2.5.

With the post-processing experience the 5k iMac offers, though, anything less than 20 megapixels is not so nice. A 16-megapixel sensor is borderline due to the aspect ratios. Not that any of that really matters considering the end result.

Old 01-08-2016   #107
ampguy

I think that after the Olympus EPL-1, they went to crap.

Old 01-08-2016   #108
paulfish4570

25/1.8

Old 01-08-2016   #109
paulfish4570

25/1.8 at f1.8 ...

Old 02-01-2016   #110
Archiver

When m43 was first announced by Olympus and Panasonic in 2008, I was shooting with a Canon 30D and a Canon G7 or G10. The DSLR handled all the 'good' photography and the compact took care of candids, snapshots, and video. M43 seemed to promise a way to carry just one smallish camera that would handle both duties, but it wasn't until 2012 that I bought my first m43 camera, the Olympus E-M5. With that camera, m43 seemed to have finally fulfilled the promise it seemed to have made.

But.

I felt that the m43 format was a bit of a mixed bag. The image quality, while excellent when compared with a compact camera, still seemed more on the side of small sensor than aps-c or 35mm. I had 12mp cameras from Ricoh and Fuji which seemed to produce more rich, 'dense' files than the Oly. The E-M5 files also didn't play quite that well with Lightroom, and it wasn't until I used the awful Olympus Viewer processor that I began to get decent skin tones.

But the compactness, the beautiful and tiny sharp lenses, the handling, the speed, the build quality, the ability to have decent photos and video in one camera, it was a revelation.

About a year later, I bought a Panasonic GH3 for video work, and found that I liked the handling just as much, if not more than, the E-M5. The raw files seemed to play much better with Lightroom, and the video quality was way beyond the E-M5.

A Panasonic GM1 came along, and it became one of my favourite small cameras. Put on an Oly 25. 17 or 45, and it was an absolute pocket rocket, doing portraits that nothing else its size could touch. I liked the files from the GM1 even more than the GH3, and video was no slouch, either.

A few months ago, I bought a GH4 and the bar has been raised again. Great images and pro level video.

Now, having said all of this, do I still use other formats? Yes. I regularly pair the GM1 and the Oly 25/1.8 with either a Ricoh GR or Panasonic LX7, and this is great for when I don't want the weight and bulk of the Leica M9, or even the good old E-M5. The image quality of the GM1 and GH4 are good enough for a lot of my purposes.

Old 02-01-2016   #111
robert blu
quiet photographer

Interesting convincing photos, here, now that Pen F arriving on the market could be the right camera for me.
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 02-01-2016   #112
Archiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
Interesting convincing photos, here, now that Pen F arriving on the market could be the right camera for me.
robert
You'll need some m43 lenses, and/or an adapter for the kinds of lenses you like to use.

Budget recommendations. These lenses are inexpensive, but they take great images.

- Sigma 18mm f2.8 (36mm eq)
- Sigma 30mm F2.8 (60mm eq)
- Panasonic 14mm f2.5 (28mm eq)

Mid range. These cost more but give you wider aperture and excellent image quality.

- Olympus 17mm f1.8 (34mm eq)
- Olympus 12mm f2 (24mm eq)
- Olympus 25mm f1.8 (50mm eq and my favourite m43 lens)
- Olympus 45mm f1.8 (90mm eq and gorgeous images)

Expensive. The zooms are about $1000 or more, but their image quality is great, and they will give you the flexibility that only zooms can.

- Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 or Olympus 12-40mm f2.8
- Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8 or Olympus 40-150mm (loads more range with the Oly

I use a Novoflex Leica M adapter, and my favourite lenses on m43 cameras are the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 Nokton and the Zeiss C Sonnar 50mm f1.5. Both lenses are relatively compact and handle well on smaller bodies.

If I was using the Pen-F, I would have a couple of primes like the Oly 12/2 and 25/1.8, and maybe the Voigtlander 35/1.4 on an adapter.

Old 02-01-2016   #113
Bingley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhayat View Post
I still don't understand why Olympus hasn't come out with digital versions of their fixed lens compact cameras in the Trip / Pen / RC form factors. A 40mm Trip-D would do for me, and a 28mm would be a great second body for travel.

If they come out with a _real_ copy of the Pen F that looks like today's Pen EPL7 but with built-in viewfinder, I might just go back to the m4/3 platform. The reasonably new EM5 Mk II looks a lot better than my old EM5 did and more like an original OM, but (a) I find the grip on the right hand side still too cramped, and (b) it lacks the physical Aperture-Shutter-ISO trinity that makes me opt for Fuji XT10.
So why wouldn't an E-P5 with a Pany 20/1.7 and Pany 14/2.5 meet your requirements? That gives you 40 and 28 from great lenses with something closer to the classic Pen form factor.

M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 02-01-2016   #114
Bingley

The little Oly 17/2.8 pancake lens has been a revelation. Inexpensive, sharp, not as fast with AF as the 17/1.8 but fast enough, and I like the way it renders. Here it is in action on an E-P5:

Rijksmuseum by bingley0522, on Flickr

Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 02-01-2016   #115
Bingley

Others have mentioned the excellent Zuiko 45/1.8 for m4/3. I really like that lens too. In concert with the Zuiko 17, it makes an outstanding two lens travel kit.

Bookseller by bingley0522, on Flickr

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 02-01-2016   #116
traveler_101
American abroad

E-P5 is a great little camera - except for the problems I have with the control dials skipping. Otherwise solid camera with a quality feel and takes great jpgs. Have the 17/1.8 on order now to replace my Panasonic 20/17 - used that for years with the E-P1. Also have the 25/1.8 which is a very good lens. Would like to move up to the Pen-F largely because of the built-in EVF.

Reading over this thread, in the first couple of pages is like reading of an archive - lack of subject isolation, slow focusing, shutter shock. All these issues have been dealt with successfully over the years. Nice photos from everyone who posted on this page!

Old 02-01-2016   #117
Archiver

Panasonic GM1 with Olympus 25/1.8:

GM1 - Beats [explore 2014 07 05] by Archiver, on Flickr

GM1 with Olympus 45/1.8:

GM1 - Two on the Table by Archiver, on Flickr

Old 02-02-2016   #118
xixi_gelly

Hi m4/3 users, I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Olympus M5/M10 series versus Fuji X100 series and could comment on their relative SPEED.

I've tried X100S (owned and borrowed) and X100T (borrowed) multiple times each for street and documentary photography but ultimately just couldn't get along with them-- they felt very sluggish to me. Fuji's AF was never fast enough, and I felt like there was shutter lag with the aperture opening and closing. Even the new X100T or S firmware upgrades didn't feel fast enough even though others online seem satisfied.

I've tried MF zone focusing with the Fuji to speed up the focusing and it's not a very satisfactory experience at all compared to the film M6 with tabbed lenses I'm used to -- and even then I still feel like the Fuji has some lag, maybe because of Auto ISO.

So my question is if I were to use the Oly m5 or m10 could I achieve DSLR-like AF speed and is it much faster than the Fujis? The olys seem promising messing for 5 mintues in a store but I'm reluctant to judge them solely based on that. Everyone raves about X100 series and they're undoubtedly beauties -- my dream camera on paper-- but I just can't accept the handling speed and don't understand why everyone else seems okay shooting streets with them. Is everyone just enamored by the physical aesthetic and xtrans color etc etc and willing to overlook the sluggishness?? Or maybe I just shoot differently and have unreasonably high standards for how a compact should realistically handle??

For reference I'm accustomed to Canon 5D2 DLSR AF speed and Leica (instantaneous) pre-focusing and that's what I'm judging these cameras against. I also had a GRDIV and was okay with the speed -- I'd just prefer an EVF!

Old 02-02-2016   #119
Gregm61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianstamatic View Post
All the doubters need to go taking some photos with m34.
[/url]
Nah, they really just need to get over it and go take pictures with their cameras. The micro four-thirds system is quite good, whatever they think. I rotate between an Olympus E-M1 and Leica outfit constantly. They're both excellent.

Old 02-02-2016   #120
raid
Dad Photographer

I use my two digital Leica cameras, plus the E-P2 and E-PL1. I don't feel the need to go beyond what I currently have as I get back images that I like seeing. I use mainly my three Zeiss SLR lenses on the M 4/3 camera: 35/1.4 Distagon, 50/1.4 Planar, 85/1.4 Planar. The lenses are more important to me than the cameras.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/