Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica SL

"Tested "the new Leica SL out yesterday.
Old 10-26-2015   #1
michaelbialecki

"Tested "the new Leica SL out yesterday.

[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/AcHryb]image[/IMG]

Hi everybody.

Well perhaps "test" isn't exactly the correct word. I was fortunate enough to play around with the new Leica SL on the streets of Bangkok yesterday because my good friend Kristian Dowling (Leicashot) has been given one to "use/test out" by Leica.

I should state that I am probably the last person on this forum that is "capable" of testing out a digital camera. The only digital camera that I own is my Iphone4, which is actually on its last leg. That said, I have used my friends digital Leica cameras in the past (Leica M9/M240/MP240/Q/and the Leica M60) so I know a little about using digital Leica cameras. I will save you all the trouble of reading anymore because there is not much that I can say besides "It is AWSEOME".

Cheers, Michael

Old 10-26-2015   #3
Noserider

Looks way bigger than I thought

Old 10-26-2015   #4
Vobluda

Ha ha Huff has now a strong competitor :-)

Old 10-26-2015   #5
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noserider View Post
Looks way bigger than I thought
But it looks way smaller than people say (here on RFF).

Old 10-26-2015   #6
michaelbialecki

haha, you guys are funny........ The body is actually not that "big" and it handles well and feels really good in the hands (well, at least in my big hands). The viewfinder is really awesome and the screen on the back is really nice.

cheers, michael

Old 10-26-2015   #7
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
But it looks way smaller than people say (here on RFF).
Depends on the size of your monitor. It's ridiculously small on the phone.

Old 10-26-2015   #8
Vobluda

Beside one all digital cameras on the market are having screen on the back those days

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbialecki View Post
haha, you guys are funny........ The body is actually not that "big" and it handles well and feels really good in the hands (well, at least in my big hands). The viewfinder is really awesome and the screen on the back is really nice.

cheers, michael

Old 10-26-2015   #9
jsrockit

Well, I checked it out the other day and the body is ridiculously nice. The zoom, not so much...just way to big.

Old 10-26-2015   #10
JP Owens

But, will it blend?

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 10-26-2015   #11
JP Owens

Here's a video pitch of the beast.

https://vimeo.com/143536578

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 10-26-2015   #12
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vobluda View Post
Beside one all digital cameras on the market are having screen on the back those days
haha, sorry, maybe that came out wrong. What I meant was, the quality of the image on the back was a lot "better" than what I have seen on my friend's Canon 6D and from the other Leica digital cameras that I have used. Once again, I don't have a lot of experience with digital cameras, but I think that the resolution on the Leica SL is really nice.

And that "one digital camera" that doesn't have a screen on the back (Leica M60), I really love that camera. My friend has one and I really enjoy using it.

cheers, michael

Old 10-26-2015   #13
willie_901

Significant advances in LCD and EVF quality and performance are important developments.

Despite its obvious success and decades of refinement, the mechanical reflex mirror system has significant disadvantages in both performance and manufacturing costs.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 10-26-2015   #14
MCTuomey

Thanks for sharing. And I was expecting nothing more than an Q with interchangeable lenses ... and we have mirrorless reimagined, a platform for M, R, and all the alt glass one could want, an AF implementation, and (to me) in a sexy, yet practical body. All that remains is reliability and service, which will become apparent soon.

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

Gear: more than enough, film and digital

My Flickr

Old 10-26-2015   #15
ferider

Tell us more, Michael. You would be the one reviewer I would trust !

Hope you are well,

Roland.

Old 10-26-2015   #16
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbialecki View Post
[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/AcHryb]image[/IMG]

Cheers, Michael

Couldn't help noticing the bill board in the back.

Seems Leica and Levi's have chosen opposite features for their products: skinny vs beefy...

Old 10-26-2015   #17
locheeboy
locheeboy

Well, it looks as big as my Sony a700 and a lot uglier; like a botched prototype of guesses, from bloggers, of the final look.

Suppose ah'd better buy some new clothes - now that it's out in the world....and prepare for a revisionist history of mirrorless cameras...ooops, too late, MCToumey got there first (nae offence MCT)

Old 10-26-2015   #18
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by locheeboy View Post
Well, it looks as big as my Sony a700 and a lot uglier; like a botched prototype of guesses, from bloggers, of the final look.

Suppose ah'd better buy some new clothes - now that it's out in the world....and prepare for a revisionist history of mirrorless cameras...ooops, too late, MCToumey got there first (nae offence MCT)
None taken. It's all down to taste and needs, after all.

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

Gear: more than enough, film and digital

My Flickr

Old 10-26-2015   #19
x-ray

Please post some images taken with it.

Judging on the LCD isnt a very good way to judge a camera. The images from the M9 I had (when it worked) were light years ahead of how they appeared on the LCD. The screen on th M9 was about the same quality as the nikon D1 LCD which wasn't good at all.

Proof is in the images and how it holds up over time. Everyone has a different standard by how we judge images.

Old 10-26-2015   #20
stompyq

I'am going to echo what the OP said. I handled the camera at photoplus. The body is ridiculously nice. Perfect size and is very light weight.

Old 10-26-2015   #21
Hsg
who dares wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
Here are some sample images from dpreview:

http://www.dpreview.com/sample-galle...amples-gallery

Old 10-26-2015   #22
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post

Judging on the LCD isnt a very good way to judge a camera. The images from the M9 I had (when it worked) were light years ahead of how they appeared on the LCD. The screen on th M9 was about the same quality as the nikon D1 LCD which wasn't good at all.

Proof is in the images and how it holds up over time. Everyone has a different standard by how we judge images.
Thanks a lot everybody for the comments and the kind words. Sorry that I didn't post any photos to go along with this thread, but I don't have any. All of the SD cards are Kristian's and he is busy taking photos for a "write up" on the camera.

To be honest, I wouldn't feel comfortable posting any images that I shot with the camera because they probably won't show what the camera is capable of and I doubt that I would even know how to properly test a digital camera.

I can say this, from what we shot yesterday and from what I know Kristian shot today, he is going to have some very interesting images in his "write up".

cheers, michael

Old 12-06-2015   #23
michaelbialecki

Hi Everybody,

I have been lucky enough to have spent some more time with SL, this time with my 35mm 1.2 lens attached to it, and I absolutely love it. The viewfinder is amazing and the package is quite small.

[/url]

[url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 12-06-2015   #24
raid
Dad Photographer

I like your no-nonsense review, Michael. It looks to me that "old stuff" will go one day, and "new stuff" will replace it. This is a fact of life.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 12-06-2015   #25
kshapero
Photo Taker

Leica seems to be coming out with one winner after another. Hope they can make a buck or two with those stratospheric prices. The SL looks awesome but not the size of those native lenses. I guess I'll stay an M guy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 12-06-2015   #26
E.M

thanks for giving us your experience with the SL . The body seems to be ok , but as Akiva says the lens is huge . But with a few M lenses it would be nice I guess , and faster to operate than a M-262 ?? Just curious , I cannot afford one anyway .

Old 12-06-2015   #27
Kent
Finally at home...

When I first read about the parameters of the SL, I thought: "Who on earth needs that?"
When I saw the first pictures of the cam, I thought: "Argh, an ugly Sony copy!"

But when I had the chance to hold one in my hand and play with it a little in Wetzlar, I totally changed my mind. This camera looks much nicer in real life than on photos, it feels great and the viewfinder is simply amazing! The best EVF I have looked through (including all Sonys, such as the NEX 7 or the A7II and Fujis, like the X-T1)!

Still, with that price tag it will never be my cam (unless I win some millions in the lottery, that is).
Main Lenses: Nikkor, Leica, Fuji, Voigtländer, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Samyang etc.
Click me...

Old 12-06-2015   #28
robert blu
quiet photographer

I love small size cameras and I only saw the SL in a Leica Store, even I din't get it in my hands but...from an aesthetic point of view the body itself is beautiful!
But the 24-90 is large, very large...
robert
PS: of course it's only my idea...

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 12-07-2015   #29
taemo

had the pleasure to play with one quickly last Friday too and was impressed with the SL.
it's a more refined and luxurious version of the Sony A7x series.

the viewfinder is huge and clear, manual focus is a joy.. like shooting SLR but electronic.
The camera is not inundated by too many buttons although it may pose challenges when you want quick access to the 3 core settings, Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO.

The body has some nice weight to hit and felt better in my hands than the A7 although for some it might be too heavy for its size.
AF with the 24-90 was impressive, no problem focusing in low light or low contrast objects however it is big, i would say as big as Canon 70-300L lens.

Overall, I was impressed, if I had 16,000 CAD$ to waste (10k body and 6k lens) this would be a contender, especially if you want to use multiple different 35mm lenses.
However for its price range I cant but ask why not go Pentax 645Z instead?

Old 12-26-2015   #30
Samouraï

Quote:
Originally Posted by taemo View Post
had the pleasure to play with one quickly last Friday too and was impressed with the SL.
it's a more refined and luxurious version of the Sony A7x series.

the viewfinder is huge and clear, manual focus is a joy.. like shooting SLR but electronic.
The camera is not inundated by too many buttons although it may pose challenges when you want quick access to the 3 core settings, Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO.

The body has some nice weight to hit and felt better in my hands than the A7 although for some it might be too heavy for its size.
AF with the 24-90 was impressive, no problem focusing in low light or low contrast objects however it is big, i would say as big as Canon 70-300L lens.

Overall, I was impressed, if I had 16,000 CAD$ to waste (10k body and 6k lens) this would be a contender, especially if you want to use multiple different 35mm lenses.
However for its price range I cant but ask why not go Pentax 645Z instead?
Is there anything special about Leica's secret sauce when it comes to their CMOS releases? I saw Steve Huff comparing the SL to the A7R2, and his pictures painted a pretty unbelievable picture: that the SL was so amazingly far beyond the A7R2 in terms of secret sauce.

I'm wary. Is the 645Z amazing?

Old 12-26-2015   #31
YYV_146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samouraï View Post
Is there anything special about Leica's secret sauce when it comes to their CMOS releases? I saw Steve Huff comparing the SL to the A7R2, and his pictures painted a pretty unbelievable picture: that the SL was so amazingly far beyond the A7R2 in terms of secret sauce.

I'm wary. Is the 645Z amazing?
There is no fairy dust in this world. Mr. Steve Huff may disagree, but as far as I'm concerned, shooting RAW negates any brand-specific advantages with regard to JPEG rendering. Leica does seem to have a pretty nice JPEG profile - the same can be said for Fuji - but that is easily accessible to any camera via a color profile. Lens rendering is, of course, a different issue...but I see nothing about the 24-90 that suggests that it performs substantially better than the best Canikon standard zooms.

As for the 645Z, I've used the 645D for about 1.5 years before selling my Pentax kit. The 645Z is indeed a great camera. IQ is notably above even the A7R2, at both low and high ISOs. The two issues that made me not go for the 645Z are weight and price. The camera body is heavier than the A7RII plus a fair-sized zoom. Not delightful to hold for extended periods. You're also stuck with a lens collection only slightly less constraining than FE: used 645AF lenses with inconsistent quality, or uber-expensive modern AF lenses (3 zooms and 4 primes I think?).

If money is not an issue, I would probably add a 645Z kit (or Phase One IQ with the same sensor, if money really is not an issue). But I can't quite justify $6.5k in a single body and maybe $10k in lenses for extra image quality that I won't notice unless making massive prints.

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 12-27-2015   #32
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samouraï View Post
I saw Steve Huff comparing the SL to the A7R2, and his pictures painted a pretty unbelievable picture: that the SL was so amazingly far beyond the A7R2 in terms of secret sauce.
For real???