Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Lomography

Lomography Dedicated to discuss all Lomography Products

Old 10-27-2015   #81
raid
Dad Photographer

If you had taken the same shots with a SWC, they may come out better looking.
Well done.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 10-27-2015   #82
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Well done.
No 'may' about it!! Definitely better.

I want to put this into perspective. I took this shot with a $5 Argus RF camera:

It uses 35mm film. The point of 120 film is that, all things equal, it way outperforms 35. So when I get much much better results from a 50 year old $5 camera than a new $430 120 film camera, well, something is not right.

Old 10-27-2015   #83
dwojr

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Well done.
Undoubtedly

Old 10-27-2015   #84
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
No 'may' about it!! Definitely better.

I want to put this into perspective. I took this shot with a $5 Argus RF camera:

It uses 35mm film. The point of 120 film is that, all things equal, it way outperforms 35. So when I get much much better results from a 50 year old $5 camera than a new $430 120 film camera, well, something is not right.

This one looks relatively still as shake goes. (some but not hiding the lens ability completely).

I just don't believe the lens is very good. The shutter is claro bad but the lens is also bad.
Remind me of my saying... I may be stupid but I'm slow..

Old 10-27-2015   #85
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post

I just don't believe the lens is very good. The shutter is claro bad but the lens is also bad.
It's not. Even the sharpest of my shots, when I view the full rez scan shows distinct softness and lack of contrast.

Funny thing is I just went back and re-read the phoblographer's review. You know, the one saying this is the best street camera ever.

To put it mildly, they are 100% full o ....

they wrote in part:

"The Lomography LCA 120 is an absolute marvel of a camera when it comes to image quality. The camera has an actual glass lens as opposed to Lomography’s typical plastic lenses, and so the images you get will be comparable to a modern camera.
Read more at http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/12/19/review-lomography-lca-120/#tlZScgwCRGm0IBRx.99"

Anyway....

Old 10-27-2015   #86
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

I have the Holga 120 with glass lens (GFN model) and it looks a bit sharper than this. Pity, as I was hoping to see Lomography up their game, but alas, no.

~Joe

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 10-27-2015   #87
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Personally I can't imagine anyone in their right mind buying this camera expecting a sharp lens.

its a LOMO - that means soft images

Its all about the LOMO experience and shooting an ultra wide 120 camera that does not cost $2000 - like the the Hassy SWC

I suspect the reverse is also true,
that a true LOMO fanatic would complain
about the damned reality bending sharpness of the latest ASPH Leica lens.

Old 10-27-2015   #88
dwojr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
Personally I can't imagine anyone in their right mind buying this camera expecting a sharp lens.

Its all about the LOMO experience and shooting an ultra wide 120 camera that does not cost $2000 - like the the Hassy SWC

You have a good point. I bought the camera because I like the lomo look and was hoping for a different and more versatile alternative to using my Holga.

The images that Huss posted are pretty much like I figured they would look. Maybe slightly softer than I would prefer.

I'm not opposed to sharp cameras either. As a hobbyist I like to shoot different types of cameras.

Old 10-27-2015   #89
vitaly66

When it comes to toy cameras and image aesthetics, there's good bad and there's bad bad.

These look just plain bad.

Old 10-27-2015   #90
Huss

Quote:

The problem is that it's not just the lens, but the whole package that is so disappointing given the price tag. The world's worst shutter release. The leatherette that is peeling off. The flash sync that is about 1 second off. The disposable camera build quality.
Thing is my other two Lomo products - the Minitar lens that I used on the Leica and the Horizon Perfekt - are really decent and fun to use. I'm looking forward to posting results from those to hopefully prove that not all their products are stinkers. I already know the Minitar lens is 'good' as I have used that before. The Perfekt I will have to wait and see. But for now I know it's a blast to use, which is something I cannot say about the LCA 120.

Old 10-27-2015   #91
GaryLH

Quote:
Yeah, but the cable release would need use of a tripod. These were mostly daytime active shots at an event .And it would be interesting to see if using the cable release would cause the camera to shake, as it still has to fight through that same shutter release.

p.s. I would be very interested to see the results from the 800 film, as that would facilitate the use of higher shutter speeds.
Thanks for sharing your results. I like the color results.. They kind of remind me of the old Kodak instamatics

In the old days there use to be pistol grips w/ built in cable release.. Maybe something like that would help..

Gary

Old 10-28-2015   #92
13Promet

Quote:

Of course, but why using a 120 film then, which is intended to achieve maximum detail and sharpness?
I have a Lomo L-CA myself, very fun camera, but can't imagine owning one in 120 format.

www.alessandrosaponaro.com

Old 10-28-2015   #93
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Promet View Post
Of course, but why using a 120 film then, which is intended to achieve maximum detail and sharpness?
Because if the buyer pays for more film surface the camera producer can save on camera quality and the final result will still be somewhat acceptable.

Old 10-31-2015   #94
Huss

Well it's on its way to Colton. Colton, you should get it on Tuesday.
My take away - use at least iso 400 film. This camera does not do well with slower film unless you happen to have a tripod and cable release handy. Plus the faster film will help get smaller apertures where the lens performs less badly.
I'm going to post to this thread the other shots that I took at the same time with my other Lomo products - the Minitar 32mm lens and the Horizon Perfekt pano camera. And see if I am happy with the results of any of these products. As I mentioned earlier, I enjoyed using the two latter, but did not like using the LCA 120 at all. An unfortunate haptic experience combined with unsatisfying results.

I will re-iterate that I am not anti- Lomo. They have with out doubt furthered the cause of film photography. All you need for proof of this is check their website and online magazine. They promote film photography no matter what gear you use. No-one else does that, no-one.

Good luck Colton!

Old 10-31-2015   #95
Swift1

Quote:
Well it's on its way to Colton. Colton, you should get it on Tuesday.
My take away - use at least iso 400 film. This camera does not do well with slower film unless you happen to have a tripod and cable release handy. Plus the faster film will help get smaller apertures where the lens performs less badly.
I'm going to post to this thread the other shots that I took at the same time with my other Lomo products - the Minitar 32mm lens and the Horizon Perfekt pano camera. And see if I am happy with the results of any of these products. As I mentioned earlier, I enjoyed using the two latter, but did not like using the LCA 120 at all. An unfortunate haptic experience combined with unsatisfying results.

I will re-iterate that I am not anti- Lomo. They have with out doubt furthered the cause of film photography. All you need for proof of this is check their website and online magazine. They promote film photography no matter what gear you use. No-one else does that, no-one.

Good luck Colton!
Thanks Huss, and Stephen.
I'm looking forward to trying it out.
I'll do my best to shoot it and share my experience with it here.

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 11-01-2015   #96
dwojr

My 2 cents: the poor shutter is why they included a cable release with the camera. I highly recommend using it. I can't really hold the camera that still without using the cable release.

I'm hoping to get my rolls developed this week. Off to use it at a festival today so I should have 3 or 4 rolls to develop.

Looking forward to seeing what Colton can do with it.

Old 11-01-2015   #97
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwojr View Post
My 2 cents: the poor shutter is why they included a cable release with the camera. I highly recommend using it. I can't really hold the camera that still without using the cable release.

From the Lomo website:

"The LC-A 120 is perfect size to take with you anywhere, making it the epitome of Lomography’s 10 Golden Rules for unbridled shooting in the moment."

Needing to use the cable release pretty much nullifies that.

Old 11-01-2015   #98
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

Interesting input so far on this interesting new product ... I sincerely wish Lomo all the best (I've bought a couple Lomo cameras in the past for fun) but the IQ and handling of this 120 LC-A make me somewhat wary. $400+ is a big chunk of change for that 'Lomo look'. I have a 1940's Bilora box camera that has a simple meniscus lens -- the images look better (to me) than the new LC-A 120. Here's a shot I took using expired Kodak Vericolor film from 1988. Not bad for a simple box camera.

Old 11-02-2015   #99
Huss

Just got my snaps back from the other Lomo products that I took along at the same time.
Completely different experience, I love these!
Taken with the Horizon Perfekt pano camera.

Filling our pie holes at the Pie Hole:

Old 11-02-2015   #100
BLKRCAT
100% Film

Ive shot a lot with my LCA when I had it in the past.

Old 11-02-2015   #101
Huss

Not wanting to distract from this thread so I'll only post two Lomo snaps.
First is with the Lomo Horizon Perfekt, second is with the Lomo Minitar lens (of my friends who 'staged' the shot)

Here's how I would sum up my Lomo experience. I would 100% buy the Horizon and Minitar again.
I would not want the LCA-120 if it was free.

As Meatloaf would say, two out of three ain't bad...

Old 11-03-2015   #102
Swift1

Camera arrived safely. I'll get to testing and posting about it tomorrow.

My Flickr
My Website

Old 11-03-2015   #103
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift1 View Post
Camera arrived safely. I'll get to testing and posting about it tomorrow.
Alright! Glad to hear it got to you Colton.

Old 11-04-2015   #104
Swift1

My thoughts so far,

I've got the LC-A 120 loaded with a roll of Portra 400, but haven't taken any photos yet.
The camera seems fairly well built. My main previous LOMO experience was with the Lomo Belair 6-12, and the LC-A 120 is so much better built!
It's a simple and intuitive camera. EvEverything is pretty self explanatory, excpt maybe the spool locks which a little different but once you figure them out they're fine.
The shutter button actually reminds me of the button on the Canonet QL17. Has the same spring loaded feel to me.
I'm about to head out and do some shooting.
Here's a few photos of the LC-A next to some of my cameras for a sense of its size.

My Flickr
My Website

Old 11-04-2015   #105
Swift1

So...

My first roll turned out to be kind of a disaster.
I only ended up with 6 frames on the roll. The first three frames worked, Then a large blank space where the next 3 frames should have been, then 3 good frames then blank until the very very end of the film which has half of the 11th frame. The spacing between the good frames is way to big which kinda explains why the 12th frame didn't make it onto the film. I have no idea why the spacing was bad, or why the shutter never fired for at least 4 frames.
Any ideas?
At this point I'm hoping it's all user error, but...

My Flickr
My Website

Old 11-04-2015   #106
Huss

Was the multiple exposure switch in between settings? I didn't have any issues like that.

p.s. I feel your pain. That just cost you a perfectly good roll of Portra 120...

Old 11-04-2015   #107
Swift1

Quote:
Was the multiple exposure switch in between settings? I didn't have any issues like that.

p.s. I feel your pain. That just cost you a perfectly good roll of Portra 120...
It may have been the MX switch. I might put gaffer's tape over that.

My Flickr
My Website

Old 11-04-2015   #108
Huss

Before you put more film in it make sure the shutter fires correctly, in MX and regular settings. It had a fresh set of batteries put in it, and maybe (including dry test shooting) I shot 4 rolls through it. In the VF a red light should always light when you squeeze the shutter to show the batteries are still good. A second light illuminates for slow speed warning.

Old 11-04-2015   #109
Swift1

Quote:
Before you put more film in it make sure the shutter fires correctly, in MX and regular settings. It had a fresh set of batteries put in it, and maybe (including dry test shooting) I shot 4 rolls through it. In the VF a red light should always light when you squeeze the shutter to show the batteries are still good. A second light illuminates for slow speed warning.
Thanks, I'll check that.

Here's my first shot taken with the camera. I feel like the the focus is a little off on this particular camera. Te infinity setting is more like a foreground biased hyperfocal distance, and the 2.5 meter setting is more like 1.5 meters.

My Flickr
My Website

Old 11-04-2015   #110
Huss

Quote:
Thanks, I'll check that.

Here's my first shot taken with the camera. I feel like the the focus is a little off on this particular camera. Te infinity setting is more like a foreground biased hyperfocal distance, and the 2.5 meter setting is more like 1.5 meters.
Yup, I mentioned that in my review of it. Which brings up some serious quality issues. How can the focus be off like this on a camera that has a 21mm lens? When I use a 21mm CV on my MDA, I have to really really try hard to miss focus (the MDA does not have a rangefinder). And then you realize that the Lomo costs $430 and it can't focus properly with a 21mm lens..

Old 11-04-2015   #111
Swift1

Quote:
Yup, I mentioned that in my review of it. Which brings up some serious quality issues. How can the focus be off like this on a camera that has a 21mm lens? When I use a 21mm CV on my MDA, I have to really really try hard to miss focus (the MDA does not have a rangefinder). And then you realize that the Lomo costs $430 and it can't focus properly with a 21mm lens..
Well, to be fair, 21mm on 35mm is a lot different than 38mm on 6x6, but accurate distance markings would be nice for this camera.
On the plus side, with the way the infinity setting is, yu can just set it there and shoot everything.

This was shot at the infinity setting

My Flickr
My Website

Old 11-04-2015   #112
Pioneer

Nice shots. It seems clear that the LC-A is fond of color film.

"My 2nd 10,000 Are Not A Lot Better"
Dan

Old 11-04-2015   #113
Huss

Quote:
Well, to be fair, 21mm on 35mm is a lot different than 38mm on 6x6, but accurate distance markings would be nice for this camera.
On the plus side, with the way the infinity setting is, yu can just set it there and shoot everything.

This was shot at the infinity setting

That one is nice! The hazy quality works for that shot. That infinity setting may only work well in bright light with fast film though. Once the lens opens up as the light level drops things may be different. I'm looking forward to your other shots.

Old 11-04-2015   #114
Swift1

Here's a 100% crop from the above image.
This was from a 2400dpi scan done with my Epson V500.

My Flickr
My Website

Old 11-05-2015   #115
dwojr

Nice work Colton. Was that last picture taken handheld or what?

Old 11-05-2015   #116
Swift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwojr View Post
Nice work Colton. Was that last picture taken handheld or what?
Thanks you.
Yes, this was shot handheld, but not from eye level.
I mostly shoot from this pose, with my hands partially resting on my knees.

My Flickr
My Website

Old 11-06-2015   #117
Swift1

I just got my second roll back. This time with 2 blank frames, and again the 11th partially on the very end of the roll, and no 12th frame

Not sure what I may have done wrong, but I'm a bit frustrated with this camera. As near I can tell, the batteries are fine, and I even taped the MX switch in the normal proper position

My Flickr
My Website

Old 11-06-2015   #118
Swift1

When the camera does work, it's pretty awesome.

These are all from a roll of expired Fuji PRO 400NPH

My Flickr
My Website

Old 11-06-2015   #119
f16sunshine

These look great Colton. The basketball court is really cool! Best!

Old 11-06-2015   #120
Swift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
These look great Colton. The basketball court is really cool! Best!
Thank you, Andy.

My Flickr
My Website