Help! M 240 LiveView Stopped Working. Any suggestions?
Background: I use Live View to check critical focus about 70% of the time. I've always found it easy to use, never any problems.
I was out shooting this afternoon using Live View, same as always. I did a couple lens-swaps during my walkabout, but no issues. The camera worked fine.
I packed up the camera for a family function with a single lens, and drove to the function.
When I got to my aunt's house, I got out the camera to take some photos. When I tried to use Live View, I could hear the shutter 'click' but the screen turned black. No Live View on the rear screen.
I shot the rest of the function using just the rangefinder -- and fortunately the camera behaved itself and I got some decent images. Playback worked fine. Every function on the camera seemed to work fine -- except Live View.
I've searched online for others with a similar problem but couldn't find any relevant info. Here's what I've tried so far:
1. Swapped batteries. No effect.
2. Reset camera to factory settings. Nothing.
3. Double-checked that the LiveView button isn't jammed or malfunctioning.
4. Tried mounting multiple lenses. No effect.
5. Dove into the menu system to make sure Live View wasn't disabled.
6. Tried to engage SENSOR CLEANING -- with no lens mounted, I can visually watch the shutter open and close. The shutter opens for a fraction of a second then stays shut. So whatever is affecting LiveView is also affecting the SENSOR CLEANING function.
The installed firmware is the latest one 220.127.116.11, I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
If anyone has any input, I'd appreciate some help. Otherwise it looks like I might be in for an expensive repair to Leica NJ.