Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Bill Pierce - Leica M photog and author

Bill Pierce - Leica M photog and author

“Our autobiography is written in our contact sheets,  and our opinion of the world in our selects”  

"Never ever confuse sharp with good, or you will end up shaving with an ice cream cone and licking a razor blade."  

Bill Pierce is one of the most successful Leica photographers and authors ever. I initially "met" Bill in the wonderful 1973 15th edition Leica Manual (the one with the M5 on the cover). I kept reading and re-reading his four chapters, continually amazed at his knoweldge and ability, thinking "if I only knew a small part of what this guy knows... wow."  I looked foward to his monthly columns in Camera 35 and devoured them like a starving man.  Bill has worked as a photojournalist  for 25 years, keyword: WORK.  Many photogs dream of the professional photographer's  life that Bill has earned and enjoyed.  Probably Bill's most famous pic is Nixon departing the White House for the last time, victory signs still waving. 

Bill  has been published in many major magazines, including  Time, Life, Newsweek, U.S. News, The New York Times Sunday Magazine, New York Magazine, Stern, L'Express and Paris Match.  :His published books include  The Leica Manual,  War Torn, Survivors and Victims in the Late 20th Century, Homeless in America,  Human Rights in China,  Children of War.  Add to that numerous exhibitions at major galleries and museums.  Magazine contributions include  Popular Photography,  Camera 35, Leica Manual,  Photo District News, the Encyclopedia of Brittanica, the Digital Journalist, and now RFF.  Major awards include Leica Medal of Excellence, Overseas Press Club's Oliver Rebbot Award for Best Photojournalism from Abroad,  and the World Press Photo's Budapest Award. Perhaps an ever bigger award is Tom Abrahamsson's comment: "If you want to know Rodinal, ask Bill."

I met Bill in person through our mutual friend Tom Abrahamsson.  In person his insight and comments are every bit as interesting and engaging as his writing.  He is a great guy who really KNOWS photography.  I am happy to say he has generously agreed to host this forum at RFF  From time to time Bill will bring up topics, but you are also invited to ask questions.  Sit down and enjoy the ride!

Old 08-01-2015   #41
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter David Grant View Post
I use Leica straps on everything -- -- Part number is 14312.
I also use these as a fallback for smaller cameras. For big and heavy ones, I have some Optech straps that look terrible but handle the weight well.

Old 08-01-2015   #42
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

I've been using a Sailor Strap on my Fujifilm X10, and love it.

http://sailorstrap.com

~Joe

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 08-01-2015   #43
majid
Fazal Majid

Quote:
I use Leica straps on everything. No lose ends, however long or short you want your strap, and nice and grippy on the shoulder.
They are indeed best for Leicas and other cameras with lug style attachments, but don't work for cameras with slot type attachments like Canons or Nikons. For those, a Domke Gripper is inexpensive and works very well with minimum fuss. With the right technique, you can also tuck away the excess webbing:
http://www.wired.com/2014/02/proper-...rap-technique/

I also have one of the Artisan & Artist kumihimo-braided silk necks traps on my Fuji X-T1. Very comfortable and classy.

Old 08-01-2015   #44
sc_rufctr
Leica nuts

I'll admit I have a strap fetish

Honestly... One of the best straps ever made would have to be the Leica 14226. (Supplied new with the M4-2)

Supple webbing with secure but also easy to remove hooks.

Adelaide, South Australia

Old 08-01-2015   #45
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

I am smitten with this strap: http://leicastoremiami.com/collectio...ap-rally-volpe

Unfortunately, it seems to be perpetually out of stock. They have other similar straps that are available for purchase, though.

Old 08-01-2015   #46
Bill Pierce

Here's a rough count of favorite straps so far ---

9 Domke
8 Leica
4 Artisan
3 Up Strap
3 OpTech
3 Lance Classic non adjust
2 Voigtlander
2 Gordy
1 Sailorstrap
1 Janzis
1 Crumpler Popular Disgrace
1 Peak Design
1 Leica Time
1 Hard Graft
1 Think Tank
1 DSPTCH
1 Peak Design
1 Street Strap
1 Arte di Mano

Who knew there were so many straps

Old 08-01-2015   #47
wjlapier

I splurged on this Leica Artisan Artist strap.

http://leicastoremiami.com/collectio...ist-silk-green

Great for my M7 and similar small camera. Bigger dslr type I usually stick to their straps.

Smaller than the M7 I prefer a wrist strap. Of course it depends on the lug type.

Old 08-01-2015   #48
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

I've made several straps for my gear...finding the parts needed at a local horse supply store...
pf

Old 08-01-2015   #49
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pierce View Post
Here's a rough count of favorite straps so far ---

9 Domke
8 Leica
4 Artisan
3 Up Strap
3 OpTech
3 Lance Classic non adjust
2 Voigtlander
2 Gordy
1 Sailorstrap
1 Janzis
1 Crumpler Popular Disgrace
1 Peak Design
1 Leica Time
1 Hard Graft
1 Think Tank
1 DSPTCH
1 Peak Design
1 Street Strap
1 Arte di Mano

Who knew there were so many straps
just for the record i use a non adjustable quick detach lance strap...

xt20...xe2...xe1...16...23...27...56...55-200

original canon F1...T90...24/2.8...100/2.8...200/2.8...300/5.6

Old 08-02-2015   #50
presspass
filmshooter

Another vote for Upstraps. I also use the A&A straps, but less often. The Upstraps will stay on your shoulder no matter what cloth, etc., your shirt or coat is made from. They are the only straps that will stay up when I am at a fire and have a turnout coat on.

Old 08-02-2015   #51
porktaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by honozooloo View Post

I'm loving my new Hard Graft strap! Hard Graft is a UK-based company that makes gorgeous leather stuff with a modern edge.

http://www.hardgraft.com/collections/camera

my man. HG is amazing.

Old 08-02-2015   #52
porktaco

that said, i have gordy wrist straps on everything. i have a couple of older braided leather wrist straps floating around here too (one is actually on the M6 right now because i'm using all the gordys elsewhere) and when i want a neck strap (or a shoulder strap really), i have the leica clip-end referenced above. it's very awesome.

Old 08-02-2015   #53
sc_rufctr
Leica nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon_sam View Post
I've made several straps for my gear...finding the parts needed at a local horse supply store...
Very nice and original. Do LIKE!!!

Adelaide, South Australia

Old 08-02-2015   #54
hendriphile

Quote:
I use Leica straps on everything, these:

Part number is 14312. I've always picked them up second hand in the UK from Ffordes.

No lose ends, however long or short you want your strap, and nice and grippy on the shoulder.
It's ridiculously easy to attach the strap to the camera lugs… Once you watch the YouTube video on the subject!

Old 08-02-2015   #55
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

For the record, I use Artisan and Artist ACAM-100 extra long straps on my Ms, OpTech loop straps for SLRs with big lenses and a mixture of other things (quite a few Matin canvas or leather straps) for other cameras.

...Mike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 08-06-2015   #56
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
Being a function over form person, I've always just taken the old-fashioned cloth or nylons straps that one can get for a couple of dollars at the photo swap-meets, and customized them to suit:
1) Remove the adjusting hardware and sew them to the exact length I want them to be,
2) Add rotating clips to the ends to keep straps from tangling,
3) Add Velcro strip for positive non-slip grip on corresponding Velcroed shoulder epaulettes of photovest,
4) Black magic marker to black out any offensive brand names as necessary.
My gear is never in the running for Cutest Camera Outfit of the Year, but was merely purchased to take pictures, so I really don't care what the straps look like, as long as they're practical, comfortable and secure.

Old 08-06-2015   #57
AAlfano

My favorite strap is the Leica neoprene strap (which I think Leica actually markets for their binoculars, not their cameras).

Old 08-06-2015   #58
Justin Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAlfano View Post
My favorite strap is the Leica neoprene strap (which I think Leica actually markets for their binoculars, not their cameras).
I have a few neoprene binoculars straps (made by Allen) that I absolutely love. I bought them on eBay a few years again for around $2 each. No advertising, other than a very small tag by on of the buckles.

Old 08-06-2015   #59
Spanik

I normally don't use straps because they get where I don't want them. The only exception is the Mamiya Press because it is so unwieldy. There I have a wide black unmarked neoprene strap.

Old 08-06-2015   #60
jsrockit

I use Artisan and Artist and Lance straps.

Old 08-06-2015   #61
oftheherd

Wow!! Who knew there were so many straps out there. Do we have an RFFer strap connoisseur somewhat like some who like bags more than cameras? ;-)

I put a wide strap on my Super Press 23 right after I bought it, it has a Yashica logo on it. So did the somewhat less wide one on my Rolleiflex I gave my son-in-law.

I still have the original strap my Fujica ST 901 came with some 40 years ago. That Super Press 23 Yashica strap is about as old.

I have bought narrow nylon straps to replace other camera straps and been OK.

Old 08-06-2015   #62
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Just found a better strap for my Nikon F6 last evening. It's the strap that came with the Leica R8 that I bought used.

I have no idea whether it is the original R8 strap, but it's definitely a Leica strap. It has a broad padded section with a textured grippy side that sits on your shoulder or around your neck, and narrowed ends with an interesting clasp arrangement for a narrow nylon strap-end that hooks to the camera. The standard Leica lug-ends (same as the M strap that others here have liked) are used so it come on and off the camera easily and handles a heavy camera like the R8 or F6 well.

Quite the nice strap ... the F6's weight is much more manageable with this strap on it.

G

Old 08-06-2015   #63
judsonzhao

Go Optek.. cheap and comfort
Go Gordy/Typ dye/Barton 1972/A&A for some vintage, craftsmanship.

Old 08-06-2015   #64
newsgrunt

Couple of Thinktank straps and those really wide, tapered Nikon straps for the D4 workhorses and D750. Was never a fan of Domke straps but now they make them without the QR and hardware so more Thinktank style.

Leica cameras are old school Leica leather straps or what look similar to an A&A leather strap except the pad is moveable along the strap. Very nice nonetheless.

Old 08-07-2015   #65
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleo View Post
Domke gripper, 1" (I prefer no quick release design)
This is a fantastic strap for the X100 and similar small cameras. I have a bunch of them.

Dante

Old 08-07-2015   #66
ZivcoPhoto

I use the Leica strap that Peter David Grant illustrated, on every rangefinder I have including Leica M's, Nikon's, Leica screwmounts and Contax IIA. I find them extremely secure, just the right size for the camera, a great fastening method and they don't mar the camera - I find them perfect. I have 5 of these which I use on 9 cameras. The DSLRs and SLRs get the factory Nikon straps (lucky they are all Nikons or the name on the strap would look odd).

Old 08-07-2015   #67
nickthetasmaniac

Can't go wrong with Gordy's. Simple, clean and good.

We abandon them daily in the wasteland of the past. Because even though I have told you that I am walking to remember, this isn’t completely true - we must embark also on journeys of forgetting. - Paul Salopek

Olympus EM5 | Ricoh GR | Pentax MX | Leica M2
walking | photography | travel
Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 07-15-2016   #68
Dogman

I will now raise from the dead this thread from a year ago.

I recently became aware of the Ciesta brand straps. After seeing them for sale on Amazon, I tried them on my Fuji mirrorless cameras. I wasn't familiar with them but they look nice--good quality smooth leather with a suede lining that's thick enough to feel padded. The leather is stitched to nylon webbing that threads through the camera attachments. They're available in 15cm and 30cm widths and in various colors. I bought a 15cm for the X100S and 30cm straps for the other Fuji models that are heavier. These straps are well made, feel comfortable and look great. About $40 each from Amazon.

I agree about the Leica straps. The attachment method is about as secure as is possible. And for the heavier Canon DSLRs, I just use the billboard straps that came with them. I don't like the look but they're wide and comfortable and the slip-resistant lining grips well.

Old 07-15-2016   #69
Darthfeeble
Accidental Photographer

I have three Peak Design straps, two of the smaller ones for my RFs and one larger for the DSLR. They are like a seat belt material but thinner. I'm still trying to decide if I like the larger one. I'm pretty sure that I'm going back to the Domke straps. While the Peak straps are nice and light and very flexible, they seem to dig in to my neck a little. Particularly the larger one with the 6D on it. Just like bags, camera straps seem to be a never ending quest for the right one. I even made some of my own from light cotten strap material.

Old 07-15-2016   #70
Papercut

Location: Westchester county, NY (and Chongqing whenever I can get there)
A Wapiti on one of my Ms; simple doubled paracord (adjustable) that I did myself on the other. The Wapiti is super comfortable, but the $0.50 paracord is functional enough that I never bothered to buy anything to replace it.

=========
Only connect.
=========

flickr photostream

Old 07-16-2016   #71
robert blu
quiet photographer

Leica strap on the M7, Gordy's straps on all the other cameras....

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 07-16-2016   #72
Talus
pan sin sal

It depends upon the way you carry your camera imo. I recently spent an entire day/night on the streets of NYC with my M9P and 35mm zeiss f2. It's not a big heavy lens. The standard Leica strap didn't suit me as I like to wear cross body and the pad on the strap was useless as it was positioned across my chest when I wore the camera that way. No amount of adjusting could get the pad at my shoulder. As a result the thin strap dug into my shoulder throughout the day. And I am fairly athletic and have larger shoulders. I used to have a Luigi strap on my M6 with a small moveable shoulder pad, but I distinctly remember that on the street every time I would swing my camera up to my eye, the pad would move and it would take more time to reposition the pad after every photo. After a time I didn't bother adjusting the pad to my shoulder anymore. Recently I looked at the Angelo Pelle. http://www.angelo-pelle.com/neck-str...e-deluxe-.html . It appears to be what I want in a strap, wider to displace the weight. But I don't care for the red leather. I went on etsy and found dozens of straps similar to this one, at better price points, but stumbled across deadcameras, another leather worker. A few journos reviewed the straps and, despite being thinner, sounded like they ticked the boxes. And they're very nice to look at. So I bought one. I got the "slim strap." I haven't taken it out yet, but the maker is great and he even custom made my length 120cm and had it shipped within 3 days from Portugal. Craftsmanship is nice. Still testing comfort.

Old 07-16-2016   #73
Tim Murphy

Dear Board,

Nothing but OP/TECH for me. The best thing about them is all you need to buy are connectors once you own an OP/TECH strap. The system is completely modular and the same neck strap or sling strap can work on every camera you own just by hooking up to the connectors on the camera.

OP/TECH uses high quality materials that have been proven to work in rugged outdoor applications. I often carry a Canon 1DMK2 or gripped 40D with a Sigma 150-500 lens on a $ 20.00 OP/TECH neck strap or sling strap and have experienced no problems with either comfort or holding the camera securely.

Try them, you'll like them.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Old 07-16-2016   #74
Dogman

Just a quick update to my resurrection post.

One of the only questions I had about the Ciesta straps I mentioned above is the possibility of the dye transferring to clothing when wet. Today I gave the black strap mounted on my X-E2/14mm combination a try during the morning dog walk. The black leather model has black suede lining. If any color would run, it's the black color. I sweat heavily and I live in a hot and humid climate. This morning the humidity was higher than normal, following a thunderstorm last night. Although I was soaking wet with perspiration by the time I got back home, the Ciesta strap shed no color whatsoever despite being nearly as soaked as my shirt. The camera/lens combination may not be a heavy one but the 30cm strap distributed the weight well and the soft suede was extremely comfortable.

Old 07-16-2016   #75
Chubberino

Cecilia Gallery leather straps on all of my gear.

Old 07-16-2016   #76
BlackXList

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Murphy View Post
Dear Board,

Nothing but OP/TECH for me. The best thing about them is all you need to buy are connectors once you own an OP/TECH strap. The system is completely modular and the same neck strap or sling strap can work on every camera you own just by hooking up to the connectors on the camera.

OP/TECH uses high quality materials that have been proven to work in rugged outdoor applications. I often carry a Canon 1DMK2 or gripped 40D with a Sigma 150-500 lens on a $ 20.00 OP/TECH neck strap or sling strap and have experienced no problems with either comfort or holding the camera securely.

Try them, you'll like them.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

I'm a big fan of the OpTech modular system, (and the other brands that use it).

I used to use a 1dMk2 on the wide Optech strap a lot, I'm currently using a 5d3 on a non Optech strap because that wide neck strap gets a bit warm when shooting concerts, I may well end up going back to them though.

Old 07-16-2016   #77
xdayv
Color Blind

Hi guys. I've given up the OEM leather strap as it started to chip off, used Artisan and Artist for a while, now using a new strap from E-niner. Been using it for a few months now. My impressions are very positive.

MM | 28 | 50 | 90

Old 07-16-2016   #78
kshapero
My view

Love my Cecilia Strap. Wonderful quality.

http://www.shopcecilia.com/collectio...ng-1cm-x-132cm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 07-16-2016   #79
eujin

I have a Gordy on my M4-P, Artisan & Artist Silk Strap on my Monochrom, and a Sailorstrap on my M9. Of the three, the Gordy is my least favorite, mostly because I find the leather chafes on my neck. The Artisan & Artist is pricey but it's my favorite—very light and there's an elasticity to it that makes it extremely comfortable. The Sailorstrap is a close second; it's a lot cheaper and the strap itself is thicker. However, it lacks the elastic quality that I love about the AA. YMMV.