Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Bill Pierce - Leica M photog and author

Bill Pierce - Leica M photog and author

“Our autobiography is written in our contact sheets,  and our opinion of the world in our selects”  

"Never ever confuse sharp with good, or you will end up shaving with an ice cream cone and licking a razor blade."  

Bill Pierce is one of the most successful Leica photographers and authors ever. I initially "met" Bill in the wonderful 1973 15th edition Leica Manual (the one with the M5 on the cover). I kept reading and re-reading his four chapters, continually amazed at his knoweldge and ability, thinking "if I only knew a small part of what this guy knows... wow."  I looked foward to his monthly columns in Camera 35 and devoured them like a starving man.  Bill has worked as a photojournalist  for 25 years, keyword: WORK.  Many photogs dream of the professional photographer's  life that Bill has earned and enjoyed.  Probably Bill's most famous pic is Nixon departing the White House for the last time, victory signs still waving. 

Bill  has been published in many major magazines, including  Time, Life, Newsweek, U.S. News, The New York Times Sunday Magazine, New York Magazine, Stern, L'Express and Paris Match.  :His published books include  The Leica Manual,  War Torn, Survivors and Victims in the Late 20th Century, Homeless in America,  Human Rights in China,  Children of War.  Add to that numerous exhibitions at major galleries and museums.  Magazine contributions include  Popular Photography,  Camera 35, Leica Manual,  Photo District News, the Encyclopedia of Brittanica, the Digital Journalist, and now RFF.  Major awards include Leica Medal of Excellence, Overseas Press Club's Oliver Rebbot Award for Best Photojournalism from Abroad,  and the World Press Photo's Budapest Award. Perhaps an ever bigger award is Tom Abrahamsson's comment: "If you want to know Rodinal, ask Bill."

I met Bill in person through our mutual friend Tom Abrahamsson.  In person his insight and comments are every bit as interesting and engaging as his writing.  He is a great guy who really KNOWS photography.  I am happy to say he has generously agreed to host this forum at RFF  From time to time Bill will bring up topics, but you are also invited to ask questions.  Sit down and enjoy the ride!

The Strap Problem
Old 07-31-2015   #1
Bill Pierce

The Strap Problem

This is going t sound silly, but, what is everyone doing for neck straps these days? DSLRs seem to come with wide cloth straps with a lot of advertising on them. Mirrorless seem to come with straps so thin in both width and thickness that you spend a lot of time taking out the twists before you put them around your neck and are definitely suspicious of them if you have to use a heavy long lens.

My answer was somewhat simple in the past. As I switched from film to digital I took the good leather straps from my film cameras and put them on my digital cameras. But I’ve used up all those straps, and I just bought a new camera. What do I do?

Old 07-31-2015   #2
Sonny Sichtstein
Mike in Sacramento

Gordy's Camera Straps gordyscamerastraps.com and Harry Benz harrybenz.com are two possible solutions. Two different approaches, and budgets.
Pacific Image PrimeFilm XE scanner | Epson V600 scanner | Epson P600 printer

me on 500px

Old 07-31-2015   #3
x-ray

Domke cotton canvas 1" straps. Cool on the neck, soft and inexpensive.

Old 07-31-2015   #4
Peter David Grant

I use Leica straps on everything, these:

Part number is 14312. I've always picked them up second hand in the UK from Ffordes.

No lose ends, however long or short you want your strap, and nice and grippy on the shoulder.

Work In Progress: An Unseen Oxford is an ongoing a documentary photography project based in and around the City of Oxford that aims to look behind the known or seen and find people and activities which most residents and visitors wouldn’t notice or realise they were there. Its goal is to remind us of the things we so easily take for granted.

Old 07-31-2015   #5
Pioneer

I do have some nice leather straps that I am happy with but I have become very fond of the selections available from Op/Tech USA. Nylon instead of leather but their camera straps are very robust and, with the right neck pads, very comfy. There are certainly some advantages to the newer materials.

"My 2nd 10,000 Are Not A Lot Better"
Dan

Old 07-31-2015   #6
Jim Edmond

I like the Upstrap: http://www.upstrap-pro.com

Flexible, and it really does cling to your shoulder.

Old 07-31-2015   #7
daveleo
È quello che è.

Domke gripper, 1" (I prefer no quick release design)

"Insults are pouring down on me as thick as hail." .... E. Manet

Old 07-31-2015   #8
FujiLove

Having just bought a Pentax 6x7, comfy, strong straps suddenly seem really important. I've always used Op/Tech in the past, but the plastic quick release looks a little dodgy with 3kg hanging off it. Currently using the Pentax original which feels like cheese wire after a three hour walk.

Old 07-31-2015   #9
danielsterno
making soup from mud

My ONLY choice is Leica Time, Luigi,leather, soft/strong nech pad, 10mm wide and adjustable ://www.leicatime.com on each M5/M6/Fuji x100…..

Old 07-31-2015   #10
Paulbe

As Peter says, the Leica 14312, or the Domke Gripper.

Old 07-31-2015   #11
honozooloo

I'm loving my new Hard Graft strap! Hard Graft is a UK-based company that makes gorgeous leather stuff with a modern edge.

http://www.hardgraft.com/collections/camera

Old 07-31-2015   #12
back alley
IMAGES

the round lance strap is the most comfortable strap i have ever used. i like extra long and they can be custom ordered, the round moves on the body with ease...

xe2...xe1...16...23...27...56...55-200

original canon F1...T90...24/2.8...100/2.8...200/2.8...300/5.6

Old 07-31-2015   #13
honozooloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
the round lance strap is the most comfortable strap i have ever used. i like extra long and they can be custom ordered, the round moves on the body with ease...
I'm gonna second this. I love my fancy new Hard Graft strap but buying it was a "Treat yo'self" moment, LOL. All my working mirrorless cameras are supported by classic lance straps. They're even color coded by camera. I've gotten years of use out of my Lance straps. They're comfy for lighter cameras and extremely handy. And relatively affordable.

Old 07-31-2015   #14
ferider

I feel passionately about the simple A&A ACAM-102 woven nylon strap:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rap_black.html

Very comfortable, also can be wrapped around the wrist, no metal except on the lugs. Also known (with different label) as Voigtlander "de Luxe" strap. 2cm wide, comes in 90 or 120cm length, so you can carry two cameras around your neck without them touching each other. Usually around 40 bucks, if you shop carefully. I must have 10 or more at home.

I try to keep my gear away from leather.

And, BTW, the first thing I do when I get a new strap is remove the lug/leather protector. Totally useless if you ask me

This was before going to Alaska a while back, Leicas for B+W, OM for color:

Roland.

Old 07-31-2015   #15
Rick Waldroup

I use the Think Tank V2.0 camera strap. They are thin, super lightweight, very strong, and best of all, they really fold up neatly in a camera bag and take up a lot less space than other camera straps. I even have one on a very small Denali camera bag that I carry my Lumix GX7 in. I love these straps.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lack_Blue.html

Old 07-31-2015   #16
kermaier

Artisan & Artist ACAM-25ER cross-body strap with a slider buckle to snug it close or lengthen for use:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_series.html

I love this strap -- I have one on my M9-P and one on my X100.

::Ari

Old 07-31-2015   #17
BlackXList

I'm a huge fan of DSPTCH straps, I have the "standard" strap on my GR, and it's absolutely perfect. (No connection, just it was perfect for me)

It does have a quick release, if that's a problem for anyone.

Standard:
http://www.dsptch.com/collections/al...ng-strap-black

Heavy (thicker strap)
http://www.dsptch.com/collections/al...-strap-black-1

Paracord wrist strap
http://www.dsptch.com/collections/al...-matte-black-1

Lifetime guarantees too.

When it comes to heavier cameras FF Digital etc, there's no tempting me away from Neoprene straps, but for lighter choices, the DSPTCH stuff is great.

I also have a couple of Gordy's wrist straps, they're incredibly sturdy, a little unwieldy at first, but that's the process of breaking in leather.

I've definitely eyed up the round Lance strap on a number of occasions, but I know I'll get stung by customs charges, (and as you may have guessed, I'm pretty happy with the DSPTCH option right now).

Old 07-31-2015   #18
kuvvy

Just got a couple of new straps this week and have yet to give them a tryout. They are both from Peak Design, the Leash neckstrap and the Cuff wrist strap.

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 07-31-2015   #19
mdarnton

I make my own Strapateers out of parts from Tandy leather and a bit of salvage from old Nikon nylon straps for the buckle/slider. Best strap ever, as I'm sure you know.

Old 07-31-2015   #20
charjohncarter

The strap I like the most is the OP/TECH which is use on my Pentax 6x7. If Pentax comes out with the FF camera they promise; I'll buy one for that camera. You are right those skinny straps are annoying.

Old 07-31-2015   #21
kshapero
Photo Taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pierce View Post
This is going t sound silly, but, what is everyone doing for neck straps these days? DSLRs seem to come with wide cloth straps with a lot of advertising on them. Mirrorless seem to come with straps so thin in both width and thickness that you spend a lot of time taking out the twists before you put them around your neck and are definitely suspicious of them if you have to use a heavy long lens.

My answer was somewhat simple in the past. As I switched from film to digital I took the good leather straps from my film cameras and put them on my digital cameras. But I’ve used up all those straps, and I just bought a new camera. What do I do?
Hey Bill, what new camera did you just buy? (WARNING: Potential GAS kicking in)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 07-31-2015   #22
Godfrey
somewhat colored

For cameras up to the size/weight of a Leica M, The Street Strap in 52" length.
http://www.streetstrap.com

G

Old 07-31-2015   #23
ruby.monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter David Grant View Post

Part number is 14312. I've always picked them up second hand in the UK from Ffordes.

No lose ends, however long or short you want your strap, and nice and grippy on the shoulder.
This is what I use, unless I'm chopping 'em up for wrist straps:

Wrist Strap by Jean-Yves, on Flickr

Old 07-31-2015   #24
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Strap of my choice is the standard strap the came on the Konica T4 SLR cameras.
Nylon, metal hooks with a swiveling plastic bit to lock/unlock, metal clamp to adjust length. Oh, and cheap. I have two and they change around on all my smaller cameras.
The DSLRs have straps that came on the Nikon N8008s: purple with gold, smooth on the top side and grippy on the bottom.

Old 07-31-2015   #25
mdwsta4
Matty Westside

I used to use Artisan and Artist 103 straps exclusively on all my cameras, but now I use the 103N on my Fuji and Cub & Co custom strap on my Leica

Both straps are flexible, comfortable, and (IMO) look great

Leica MP
Hasselblad 500 CM
Fujifilm TX-1

Fujifilm X100t
Fujifilm X-Pro 2

Old 07-31-2015   #26
kshapero
Photo Taker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwsta4 View Post
I used to use Artisan and Artist 103 straps exclusively on all my cameras, but now I use the 103N on my Fuji and Cub & Co custom strap on my Leica

Both straps are flexible, comfortable, and (IMO) look great
What is the difference between the two?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Upstrap for me
Old 07-31-2015   #27
barnwulf

Upstrap for me

Quote:
Jim Edmond I like the Upstrap: http://www.upstrap-pro.com

Flexible, and it really does cling to your shoulder.
I agree about the UpStap is an excellent strap that really clings to your shoulder very well when you are carrying your camera that way. I use them on all my cameras. - jim

Old 07-31-2015   #28
skibeerr

Still Domke 1" for smaller camera's and a very comfy optech for bigger ones.
On my Mamiya RB I use the original strap which is pretty good.

Old 07-31-2015   #29
Larry H-L

1 inch Domke Gripper, or the Voigtlander canvas straps that the Head Bartender here sells.

Old 07-31-2015   #30
news shooter

I've used the up strap for a few years now and it works well for my narrow shoulders. Beware that the nubs on the rubber gripper wear off rather quickly. Still sticks though. It's used on my dslrs. Neoprene straps just fall off my shoulders.
Thanks for everyone's contributions. Good luck Bill finding what works

Old 07-31-2015   #31
jmilkins
Digited User

When the strap is going to stay on the camera I agree with Roland - I like the Artisan and Artist 103n which I bought from Scott at Mainline in Australia. http://mainlinephoto.com.au/artisan-...ack-red-khaki/

[IMG]the cron and the gon... by john m, on Flickr[/IMG]

I also like the Peak Design strap and cuff as a great quick change arrangement, but less nice, but more nylon feel https://peakdesign.com/store/?c=stra...MnnRoCQD_w_wcB

1 inch domkes are also good though with a little to much metal for my liking in my versions.

And of course for wrist straps I love a good Gordy. I remember when they broke cover through RFF http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/

My gallery
The FlickR

"To ∞, and beyond!" B. Lightyear, 1995.

Old 07-31-2015   #32
Oscuro
He's French, I'm Italian.

Anything thin. I've got a pile of straps from forty years of doing this. I like the thin Upstraps but they're pricy. So anything that isn't wide and doesn't have a lot of logo crap on it.

Old 07-31-2015   #33
mdwsta4
Matty Westside

One is leather, the other is cloth. One is adjustable (A&A), the other is not. I like both equally as much, but don't like one more than the other that I'd use it on all my cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
What is the difference between the two?

Leica MP
Hasselblad 500 CM
Fujifilm TX-1

Fujifilm X100t
Fujifilm X-Pro 2

Old 07-31-2015   #34
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H-L View Post
1 inch Domke Gripper, or the Voigtlander canvas straps that the Head Bartender here sells.
Yes and Yes !
I notice some of the rubber letting go from my older gripper straps.
The Voigtlander canvas ones don't have the grip. I may stay with those from now on.
Those rubber bits are making a mess. (I'm already messed enough! )

Old 07-31-2015   #35
SausalitoDog

I don't like all the wide advertising (steal me) straps and use the optic neoprene ones on my DSLRs.

But it felt pretty silly putting a huge strap like that on an RF form factor camera (especially with much smaller lenses).

So I've switched completely to wrist straps - have a couple of Leica ones, but have ventured out to some of the great craftmen who sell them online.

Tom

“Dogs are friendly animals. They are very much like people with hair. But they don’t complain and don’t ask for money or a copy of the print.”
- Elliott Erwitt

Old 07-31-2015   #36
jpressman
Culver City, CA

I have a couple of Crumpler Popular Disgrace straps that I use with my Fujis. About 1" wide, adjustable, Neoprene, and very very inexpensive. Pretty comfy on my x100 and my xt1 with 18-55. No need for anything else, really.

Make your own for cost and quality
Old 07-31-2015   #37
alfredian

Make your own for cost and quality

Unless I get a Leica with the factory strap, I make my own. Strapworks.com has straps & cordage in various sizes and materials (Nylon, polysomething, etc) and I buy either 1/2" or 3/8" Nylon strappage, at 25-50 US pennies per foot. Wide rainbow of colors - I buy black, brown or silver-grey, partly for camera-matching, partly because some colors are in a fabric softer/bendier than others. Same site has the sliders in plastic or metal. For will under USD5.00 I get perfect straps. Some of my Nikon RF (chrome) get the silver-grey Nylon with either black plastic or grey metal sliders. Heavier cameras get the 1/2", lighter ones the 3/8" widths. I bought a Nikon S2 here in RFF that came with an A&A canvas strap that is great - but for 1/10th the price, or less, I make my own usually. Strapworks has round cordage (they serve the boating set as well as hiker/camper/photo people) so you can do the ropey thing if you like. Check them out - the only downer is shipping - lowest rate is a bit much if you only want ten feet of strap & a half-dozen bits of hardware. --alfredian

Old 07-31-2015   #38
MiniMoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter David Grant View Post

Definitely the best straps ! And very pliable, soft and easy to put into the camera bag.

Very fast to put on and off the camera too...

Old 07-31-2015   #39
arseniii

The strap is perfect! Nothing better was/will be invented for Smaller to Medium size cameras. I use A&A leather straps for DSLR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMoke View Post
Definitely the best straps ! And very pliable, soft and easy to put into the camera bag.

Very fast to put on and off the camera too...

Old 07-31-2015   #40
konicaman
konicaman

I use straps from seller janzls on the Bay. Very strong and well made - no connection, just a very happy customer. His prices are very fair indeed.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/janzls/m.h...88.m1543.l2654

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk