Panasonic LX100 review
Old 07-01-2015   #1
konicaman
konicaman

Panasonic LX100 review

Just posted a small review of the LX100 on my blog, user perspective.

https://konicaman.wordpress.com/2015...-lx100-review/

Edit. Just updated with a Tips & Tricks section:

https://konicaman.wordpress.com/lx100-tips-and-tricks/

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

Old 07-01-2015   #2
GaryLH

I originally bought this camera for vacation and family snap shots..but the more I used it, the more I liked it for an everyday camera. To the point I carry my Ricoh GR as well as this for everyday. The GR when I just want to have something in my jean pocket and this when I am carrying my messenger bag.

This camera has replaced three cameras I used to use
- Panasonic LX3
- Fuji X100
- Sony RX100mk1

The Rx100 20mp sensor is sharper, but I just like the images I get from the lx100. I really don't print bigger than 13x19 and in fact my norm is 8x10.. The lx100 has the essential control layout of the x100 but w/o the x100 ovf/evf design.. The resolution of the lx100 evf makes up for it though.

Add that to the fact that u are getting a 24-75 f1.7-2.8 zoom lens w/ a sensor that does well up to 1600 and acceptable to 3200 or so plus 4k movies.. For me it's a winner. Ymmv.

While I can't put it in my front Jean pocket like the GR or rx100, the GR already replaced the rx100 as my everyday carry anyway. The lx100 will fit fine in a jacket pocket though.

If u are ok w/ 12mp..this is a great camera.

Gary

Old 07-01-2015   #3
GaryLH

Nice write up konicaman.

Gary

Old 07-02-2015   #4
konicaman
konicaman

Thanks - and you summed up some of my thoughts there. I also use the camera a lot more than I thought I would.

Old 07-21-2015   #5
Lss

This is definitely one of the most interesting high-quality compacts in the market. I only today had a chance to handle the Leica D-Lux, and while it was a bit fiddly it was still workable. Are there any handling differences between the two cameras, or just cosmetics, price, and Lightroom? The Panasonic seems to have a grip, but it's difficult to say from images whether it is an improvement.

Old 07-21-2015   #6
konicaman
konicaman

Handling: The grip is a huge improvement. I have had the D-Lux in my hands for a short test run; it felt kind of slippery. Had I bought the D-Lux I would definitely have fitted it with a 3rd party grip. Otherwise they seem to be very much alike in the way they operate. As for different software requirements I have no idea - maybe somebody else can add to this...

Old 07-21-2015   #7
Lss

Thanks, I will try to get my hands on the LX100, too.

Old 07-21-2015   #8
Rick Waldroup

Anyone have any experience street shooting with this camera? I have used Panasonic m4/3 cameras from the beginning, but this looks very cool. Thanks for the review.

Old 07-21-2015   #9
kshapero
My view

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Waldroup View Post
Anyone have any experience street shooting with this camera? I have used Panasonic m4/3 cameras from the beginning, but this looks very cool. Thanks for the review.
I leave mine on 35mm FOV most of the time. Opens to f2.3 which is fine for me.
BTW a very nice review and tips. But plenty of 43mm filters out there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 07-24-2015   #10
konicaman
konicaman

Lots of filters - really? UV, Pol, ND filters - sure. I have been looking for at set of graduated colour filters. Should anybody have a link it would be highly appreciated

Old 07-24-2015   #11
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by konicaman View Post
Just posted a small review of the LX100 on my blog, user perspective.

https://konicaman.wordpress.com/2015...-lx100-review/

Edit. Just updated with a Tips & Tricks section:

https://konicaman.wordpress.com/lx100-tips-and-tricks/
Thank you for both very informative reviews.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 07-24-2015   #12
kshapero
My view

Quote:
Originally Posted by konicaman View Post
Lots of filters - really? UV, Pol, ND filters - sure. I have been looking for at set of graduated colour filters. Should anybody have a link it would be highly appreciated
graduated colour filters? Out of my area of expertise

Old 07-24-2015   #13
konicaman
konicaman

Something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6pcs-58mm-...item2591d37ff0
...but in 43mm instead

Old 07-25-2015   #14
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
graduated colour filters? Out of my area of expertise

I have seen such filters before, but I have used only the gradated ND filters. The colored one give a fake looking color cast to some parts of the image. Cokin made dozens of them in the past.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 09-07-2015   #15
dee

Thanks for the review .
Ah-yes those filters - remember tobacco coloured skies !
I would love an LX-100 as spiritual successor to the Leica Digilux 2 and my Panasonic L1 .
The zoom is perfect for me - and no more dust on the sensor !
dee.
Upstaged by stylish Fuji X-Pro 1 and quirky Pentax K-S1
Puns,Cameras and snapshots keeping ASD and dees'ruptive Girl/Boy/Me?' constant dee'sorientation contained.

Old 09-07-2015   #16
tbhv55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
I would love an LX-100 as spiritual successor to the Leica Digilux 2 and my Panasonic L1 .
The zoom is perfect for me - and no more dust on the sensor!
Well, I gave in to temptation about a week or so ago - I saw the LX100 on special offer, and it was too good to resist!

I have to say that this camera is very good, and considerably exceeds my expectations. The IQ is very good, and the ergonomics suit me almost perfectly (of course, nothing is quite perfect!). For me, it's really so good, that I foresee my assortment of larger cameras gathering more dust, or being sold.

I have had a Sony RX100 Mk1 for about three years, and I'll keep it because sometimes one wants a camera that fits into a trouser pocket, yet still offers great quality - and the little Sony succeeds admirably on both counts.

The Panasonic certainly does not fit into a (normal) trouser pocket, but for those times when that is not a requirement, the LX100 is just a delight to use.

Old 09-08-2015   #17
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Waldroup View Post
I have been using one daily for a few months now. Not really a street photographer, however I suspect there are similarities between photojournalism/documentary and work. I have not experienced any hindrances. I shoot a mix of full manual, ap priority, manual focus and so on and the LX100 hums along with no issues.

What drew my interest is the amazing video capability combined with a 24-70 stills package that fills both rolls without much compromise. It has filled that role with competence.

With video, the real concern for me are flexible frame rates, good bitrates and a well thought out interface. The LX100 has hit that nail almost square on the head. A firmware update that would allow more user programming of the buttons would make it next to perfect.

Mic jack is missing however I have always run external audio so not an issue on my end. I load up a very small bracket with zoom H1, deadcat, headphones and away I go. The H1 is a great pair with the compacts allowing LAV input, control over levels and so on.

The LX100 is a very refined platform. For street I would think it plenty fast, customizable and 12 mp is plenty for me. If I need max resolution to make my images, I'll retire.

Old 12-18-2015   #18
Johann Espiritu
Lawyer / Ninja

I actually think this is a great street camera. Small, quiet, and hardly attracts any attention to it.

I use the (practically) the same D-Lux Typ 109. Here is one I snapped last night:

Barefoot Photography in the Rain.
by Johann Espiritu, on Flickr

My Flickr

manilacamerastyle

Old 12-19-2015   #19
tbhv55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann Espiritu View Post
I actually think this is a great street camera. Small, quiet, and hardly attracts any attention to it.

I use the (practically) the same D-Lux Typ 109. Here is one I snapped last night
I agree about the LX100, and... nice timing on that shot, to get the rain illuminated by the glare of the headlamp.

Old 12-19-2015   #20
Rick Waldroup

Thanks for all of the info about street shooting with this camera.

Old 12-19-2015   #21
btgc

Seeing remark on anti-pocket approach I know I'm not alone in belief cameras are worth better care than slipping them in dirty linty pocket where crud gets into lens etc.

When being a kid mother told me pockets aren't to be stuffed with things, for this there are pouches, bags and car trunks. Now I have grown up but still don't like to carry in pockets something that I can feel there. If i can feel it in a pocket, it goes into bag.

Old 12-19-2015   #22
Rick Waldroup

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgc View Post
Seeing remark on anti-pocket approach I know I'm not alone in belief cameras are worth better care than slipping them in dirty linty pocket where crud gets into lens etc.

When being a kid mother told me pockets aren't to be stuffed with things, for this there are pouches, bags and car trunks. Now I have grown up but still don't like to carry in pockets something that I can feel there. If i can feel it in a pocket, it goes into bag.
I agree. I shot a Ricoh GRDII for a certain project, and I never felt comfortable carrying the camera in a pocket. I usually carry some type of small camera bag anyway, so the cameras always go into a bag.

Old 03-16-2016   #23
fireblade
Vincenzo.

LEICA 109

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 03-17-2016   #24
kshapero
My view

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
LEICA 109

Nice shots, indeed.

Old 03-17-2016   #25
rbelyell

this seems to be pretty much the pinnacle of this type of camera--the pocketable enthusiast camera.

which brings me to this: with everything going on in the world today, 'no cameras in pockets' is a 'thing' now??!! not putting a camera in your pocket somehow elevates the owner? good gosh, lets get real. ive been a photographer for over thirty years. i take great care of my gear. ive sold scores of gear that ive used for years, never had a (real world) complaint. i keep a cam in my pocket whenever practicality allows. hope i offended the camera police. perhaps 'the thing' should be keeping ones clothes as clean as ones camera.

Old 05-08-2016   #26
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

I've discovered I need (ok, want) a new family camera, something I can shoot in low stress mode when I want. The LX-100 looks like a very good candidate. I'm currently using a long-in-the-tooth Sony 6MP camera for this kind of thing, and the battery is starting to go - plus it's not very satisfying to shoot. A few years back I picked up a Fuji X-10 for this role but didn't care for it and sent it back.

Those of you that have an LX-100 - would you buy one this long after it was released, or are there IQ or other niggles that would make you wait for the next model? I definitely don't chase the latest and greatest, and if the LX-100 works well I'd be happy.

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro1, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 05-08-2016   #27
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
Nice shots, indeed.
.....Cheers.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 05-08-2016   #28
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ford View Post
Those of you that have an LX-100 - would you buy one this long after it was released, or are there IQ or other niggles that would make you wait for the next model? I definitely don't chase the latest and greatest, and if the LX-100 works well I'd be happy.
Do you have a camera store nearby so you can handle both?
I preferred the 109 with the hand grip. As for image quality, the 109 has a different jpeg processing engine, and as for the i wish it had, maybe a swivel/tilt screen. IQ is fine, as are most digital cameras today.

JPEG

Old 05-08-2016   #29
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

I can handle the LX100 at one store, but the 109 would be tougher - and out of budget.

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro1, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 09-20-2016   #30
David Spencer

Just ordered one of these- having read a user review and the tips provided makes me feel I've made a good choice.
Thanks for posting.
David