Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica Q / T / X Series

Leica Q / T / X Series For the Leica Q, T, X series digital cameras

Old 06-15-2015   #41
willie_901

About the EVF.

There are a wide-range of EVFs. I've used rather poor EVF's and excellent EVF's.

EVF's have four unavoidable issues.

o In extremely bright light they can be difficult to use. This problem is minimized by well-designed eye-cups and high-quality displays. But so far this is a consideration. Some optical RFs aren't so great in bright light as well.

o There is a delay between reality and what you see. More sophisticated electronics minimizes this delay, but it can never be zero. Honestly, learning to anticipate and fast bursts of exposures is a practical way to deal with this. People tend to confuse automated operational (exposure, ISO and AF) delays with EVF display delays. With minimal effort many newer EVF cameras can be configured to be very quick.

o One can not see outside the frame. This is the only disappointment I experience with EVFs. This is the main reason I still use a X-Pro 1 as my daily carry instead of the two X-T1 bodies I own.

o In extremely low light the EVF becomes noisy. The display quality degrades. Of course using an RF patch in extremely low light has completely different challenges. Some EVFs will strobe (alias) when used in strong fluorescent lights. Modern CFLs aren't so bad, but old, tube-based lighting with slower cycling rates can be a problem.

I assume the Q's EVF implementation is competitive. So the EVF is a fine with me. I'll adapt to composing without seeing outside the frame.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 06-15-2015   #42
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
John,

It's OK for younger generations not to like Baby Boomers because those young people will resent having to work like dogs to pay for my Social Security without much of a hope for a retirement or collecting Social Security. My generation, meaning Baby Boomers, really screwed up the world for those young-ins. LOL.

Now I plan to live a very extra long life because I'm stuborn just to make that poster pay for his mean comment. The Chinese say, "Time is the best weapon." Ha-Ha...

Now who is being mean. Ha-Ha...

Cal
^ The Art of War....love it!^

Living in Atlanta is bad when it comes to Leica. There is no Leica dealer within a two-day drive! It would be nice to see the Q (stupid name for a great camera) but I can't afford it anyways. I am waiting to see how Jim likes his! Oh, yeah, he is old, too. Sorry.

Dave

Old 06-15-2015   #43
YYV_146

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrutcher View Post
I had an interesting conversation with a Leica salesperson at the Leica store in San Francisco. I have one on order from another Leica Store but I wanted to hold it and feel it. (by the way it is very well balanced, light and quick to focus).

He was in his late 20's I'm guessing. I told him I don't shoot 28mm very often so it will take a bit to get used to. He agreed but then went into the reasoning Leica made it a 28mm. "In my generation we only use our phones to snap photo's. The average focal length of a smartphone camera is 29-32mm. Therefore his generation may be more likely to get into a real camera and quit using the smartphone since its a perspective they are very comfortable with"

I have no idea if this thought is sponsored by Leica or him alone but if the facts are correct he may be right. i then though of the cost for these young people until he told me he has a M-246 on order for himself.

I'm looking forward to owning a Q and I'm fortunate I can afford to add one to my collection.

Jim
Really? I'm not sure how many smartphone shooters will be looking to upgrade to the Leica Q, nor even to something as cheap as a GR Digital for that matter...

I'm in my 20s and judging from what my peers are doing (which may or may not be representative), Leica would do better marketing a Red dot selfie stick complete with mechanical shutter release.

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 06-15-2015   #44
Ronald M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
I recognize that this is likely an attempt to expand their offering in the marketplace and I do like the looks of the Q. But won't this camera steal sales from the M digital cameras?
Without a lens lock release , NO.

28 mm fixed lens, gime a break.

Old 06-15-2015   #45
kbg32
neo-romanticist

"Sure the older shooters might not like the Q, but they'll be dead soon, Leica needs to garner favor with a younger generation."

That is one screwed up thing to say.

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 06-15-2015   #46
Pioneer

I still prefer my Pentax Q. It's much more compact and I can change lenses.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 06-15-2015   #47
btgc

I like the model name. Q stands for question. What question? That's the question.

Old 06-15-2015   #48
Pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgc View Post
I like the model name. Q stands for question. What question? That's the question.
Gee, and here I was thinking it was a play off the James Bond stories.

Silly me.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 06-15-2015   #49
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbg32 View Post
"Sure the older shooters might not like the Q, but they'll be dead soon, Leica needs to garner favor with a younger generation."

That is one screwed up thing to say.
Keith,

First off, us older shooters are hipper than Phatnev thinks and like the "Q", secondly the demographics are that the Baby Boomers have much more dispoable income that the younger generations that came after.

Funny thing is that Phatnev does not realize the insult of his comment.

As far as no response/apology/correction from him from my above post on this thread I am compelled to advance my position by riffing off the film "Ben Hur" where Charlton Heston is chained to an oar on a Roman warship. The Roman tells Ben Hur, "Row hard and live long Juda Ben Hur."

As far as younger generations fixing the problems us Baby Boomers created and working like dogs to pay my Social Security without any likelyhood of entitlement I say, "Row hard and live long Phatnev."

BTW my dad lived to 94. Ha-Ha...

Cal

Old 07-01-2015   #50
jsrockit

Well, sales are backed up for months already... I guess Leica did the right thing.

Old 10-14-2015   #51
jlindstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Well, sales are backed up for months already... I guess Leica did the right thing.
Also depends where you buy. I spent months waiting at one dealer, got frustrated & cancelled. Went to other dealer and got out of the store with a Q in hand. Grip is in backlog though!

But yea, deliveries are still not every day thing.

Old 10-15-2015   #52
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlindstrom View Post
Also depends where you buy. I spent months waiting at one dealer, got frustrated & cancelled. Went to other dealer and got out of the store with a Q in hand. Grip is in backlog though!

But yea, deliveries are still not every day thing.
Right, but my post is from 3 months ago and we live in completely different parts of the world.

Old 10-16-2015   #53
jlindstrom

Quote:
Right, but my post is from 3 months ago and we live in completely different parts of the world.
And I spent those months waiting :-) But yea, though I used your comment in my quote it wasn't really targeted at you but rather as reference for other people looking for info on delivery times.

Old 10-16-2015   #54
photomoof
Fischli & Weiss Sculpture

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatnev View Post
I'm an M shooter and I'm interested in the Q. Just because one shoots M cameras doesn't mean that's the only camera they shoot. Nor does it mean it's their favorite. Sure the older shooters might not like the Q, but they'll be dead soon, Leica needs to garner favor with a younger generation.
How soon do you think?

On another note, if I wanted a small camera, this is IMO perfect. The thing I hate worst about digital is a dirty sensor, a fixed lens takes care of that issue. I NEVER change lenses, but Leica's offering is perfect for me. I far prefer an EVF, if it is well designed. Will I buy one, I doubt it, as phone cameras keep improving, it serves no purpose in my life.

But it is a beauty. 10 years ago I would have bought it in a flash.

Old 07-21-2016   #55
jsrockit

Almost a year later and still out of stock most places...

Old 07-21-2016   #56
robert blu
quiet photographer

Strange...available in Italy since months...
robert
PS: but I'm not interested :-)

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 07-21-2016   #57
Steve M.

What's next for the Leica Q? The Leica R I suppose. Then the S, the T, and so on.

Old 07-27-2016   #58
maitani

fw 2.0 is out

http://en.leica-camera.com/Photograp...are-Update-2.0

Old 07-27-2016   #59
Ronald M

A camera without interchangeable lenses is useless to me. Anyone can do a crop on 28. Stupid

Old 07-27-2016   #60
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
A camera without interchangeable lenses is useless to me. Anyone can do a crop on 28. Stupid
Anyone can crop on whichever focal length you choose. You therefore only gain interchangeable stupidity in your more useful scenario.

Old 07-27-2016   #61
leicapixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatnev View Post
I'm an M shooter and I'm interested in the Q. Just because one shoots M cameras doesn't mean that's the only camera they shoot. Nor does it mean it's their favorite. Sure the older shooters might not like the Q, but they'll be dead soon, Leica needs to garner favor with a younger generation.
Strangely the old are living longer but younger are falling to all manner of illness. Cancers, heart, diabetes due to lack of exercise, eating junk food.
drugs etc.
I am 72 and except for a heart condition more fit and healthier than many young folks.
Walk miles on photo shoots, walk a dog, don't drive a car and do NOT eat junk food.
Why I won't buy a new Leica is because the old ones work fine.
Next year Ziggy (M3) will be working since new, 50 years.
Almost every day..

Old 07-27-2016   #62
jsrockit

As a person that's 42 years old (and therefore, neither young or old)... I think you guys are being a little rough on phatnev. It could have bee worded better, but I think he was just trying to say that Leica better start worrying about what the younger generations wants in case it can't sell those folks on its M legacy.

Old 07-27-2016   #63
johnwolf

I don't see the current Q design as viable for the long term. Mainly because of its fixed 28, but also size and cost. It seems to me a super-niche camera for the committed Leica customer. Ordinary mortals now have so many attractive, flexible mirrorless options. I think the Q will shake out as a bridge camera. (Not that I wouldn't love to have one.)

John

Old 07-27-2016   #64
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
I don't see the current Q design as viable for the long term. Mainly because of its fixed 28, but also size and cost. It seems to me a super-niche camera for the committed Leica customer. Ordinary mortals now have so many attractive, flexible mirrorless options. I think the Q will shake out as a bridge camera. (Not that I wouldn't love to have one.)

John
In Leica land... which IS its own world (and doesn't compete with other manufacturers generally), the Q offers somewhat of a deal. It is by far the cheapest Leica / Leica lens combo you can buy. Add that to the fact that it has some cutting edge technology (EVF, fast AF, etc.) and offers what the M (AF) and the SL (RF shape / small size) cannot, and I think they have a camera that can certainly be popular for years to come. In fact, it still isn't in stock in the US after almost a year. And Leica does not need to sell huge numbers like a Sony does.

I would not be surprised if we see different focal lengths released. The only way I can see this not happening is if they make a interchangeable lens version. Some people **** on fixed lens cameras, but some of us love them.

Old 07-27-2016   #65
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

"I would not be surprised if we see different focal lengths released."

John and John...
I wouldn't say "no" to a Q with a 40mm :-)

Panasonic GX1, 20mm 1.7

Fuji XE-2, X Pro 2,
w/ 18-55 Fuji
12mm Zeiss,
16mm 1.4, 35 1.4, 56mm 1.2 Fuji
Fuji X100s

Nikon F
Nikon D800e with 6 primes and
a zoomer (70-200 f4)

In Memoriam: Mamiya 7ll with 50, 80 and 150 mm lenses---The best camera I've ever owned.

Old 07-28-2016   #66
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyongazer View Post
John and John...
I wouldn't say "no" to a Q with a 40mm :-)
Me neither... though I'd rather have a 50mm.

Old 07-28-2016   #67
Manuel Patino

I picked up a minty Q used for I think it was $3400... It's every bit a Leica as my M240. I like it a lot and for some kinds of shots it's spot on! I carry it and my M240 with the f1.4 'Lux other than the weight, it's a great combo. And both cameras fit nicely in the Prince Street ONA bag along with batteries, filters and other odds and ends.

Old 07-28-2016   #68
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Patino View Post
I picked up a minty Q used for I think it was $3400...
Great price.

Old 07-28-2016   #69
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

Quote:
Me neither... though I'd rather have a 50mm.
Big 50 fan here, too...35 1.4 on Fuji X my most used lens these days...however

I've had three "40s"
60 on a 645
20 on a m4/3
80 on a 6x7
Liked them all.

With that big, pixel rich sensor you could think of it as a "fifty", shot a bit loose.
Crop in tighter when you need to.
Don't when you don't.

Panasonic GX1, 20mm 1.7

Fuji XE-2, X Pro 2,
w/ 18-55 Fuji
12mm Zeiss,
16mm 1.4, 35 1.4, 56mm 1.2 Fuji
Fuji X100s

Nikon F
Nikon D800e with 6 primes and
a zoomer (70-200 f4)

In Memoriam: Mamiya 7ll with 50, 80 and 150 mm lenses---The best camera I've ever owned.

Old 07-29-2016   #70
ramosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post

Ok. While I have no interest in a 28mm fixed lens camera, I would promptly buy a Q35, Q40, or Q50. Different strokes ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 08-15-2016   #71
kshapero
My view

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
John,

It's OK for younger generations not to like Baby Boomers because those young people will resent having to work like dogs to pay for my Social Security without much of a hope for a retirement or collecting Social Security. My generation, meaning Baby Boomers, really screwed up the world for those young-ins. LOL.

Now I plan to live a very extra long life because I'm stuborn just to make that poster pay for his mean comment. The Chinese say, "Time is the best weapon." Ha-Ha...

Now who is being mean. Ha-Ha...

Cal
We didn't screw it up, our corrupt government did (both Republican and Democrat). You've been screwed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 08-15-2016   #72
Jdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter S Thompson View Post
I guess an EVF is OK for snapshots, but I do spend minutes looking through the viewfinder, making compositional decisions. Spending minutes looking at those tiny TV's is very frustrating and headache inducing.
Some folks won't, can't adjust. Others can just fine. With a 50 I'd own one. With a 35, high probability, with a 28, useless for me other than indoors. The evf is irrelevant, I adapted long ago. As Leica is doing as well.