who is shooting with a sony rx1?
Old 03-31-2015   #1
back alley
IMAGES

who is shooting with a sony rx1?

and why?

is it part of an arsenal or your only camera?

xt20...xe2...xe1...
16...23...23...27...50...56...55-200

original canon F1...T90...24/2.8...100/2.8...200/2.8...300/5.6

Old 03-31-2015   #2
pharyngula

I shoot with an RX1r as the only remaining digital complement to my film cameras (Leica M and FM3a) and lenses. As for the RX1r - I'm very content with the 35mm perspective and think the IQ is fabulous.

Old 03-31-2015   #3
Lss

I have been using the RX1R alongside the Leica M8 for about a year and a half now. It is the only compact camera that provides consistently as good or better image quality than the M8. The leaf shutter is also useful for some applications. It's only an average camera in my opinion, but the lens and sensor remain state of the art.

Old 03-31-2015   #4
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
why?

is it part of an arsenal or your only camera?
Part of arsenal. For 35mm pov it is difficult or impossible to beat for image quality, at least for me, and it's FF in a tiny solid package. I rented a Leica M-E with a 35 Summicron for a week and spent a week taking "identical" shots with both cameras. OOC results were similar, preferences probably down to personal taste more than anything, CCD vs.CMOS and all that, but the Sony RAW files were much more robust and it was possible to get a lot more out of them if one was so inclined to spend time in post. Have got a D800E as well, and it won't give me better results than the RX1 either. It's just a sweet, solidly built camera, which actually made the M-E feel a bit cheap in comparison, which surprised me. No haters please, other opinions are exactly that.
That said, I've got the optional EVF, but the focusing experience is much nicer on the Leica and the Nikon. But, the Sony EVF is as good as any, and yes, I actually do think I've tried them all
OVFs on my Leicaflex and Contax RX still put every digital viewfinder, EVF or OVF, in the shade, but, I digress.
Anyway, the RX1 is perhaps the only camera I own which is definitely on the "I will never sell this one" list. It's not perfect, but it is very special.
Going to Zion and Bryce tomorrow and the RX1 and a medium format film rig are all I'm taking. Leicaflex maybe. But if it were just one, it would be the Sony.

Old 03-31-2015   #5
hausen

Is my only digital at the moment because MM is away getting a new sensor. Is a pocket rocket in my mind, I use it mainly for long exposure on a tripod, riding around on my bike or tramping. Lens is sensational, not sure why people complain about menus because once it is setup you only really need to use function menu. Get them for a decent price these 2nd hand as well. You have always wanted one Joe.

Far too many cameras & lenses!

Old 03-31-2015   #6
back alley
IMAGES

yes, i have wanted one from the beginning...if only money were not such a constricting factor...i think its a near perfect camera.

xt20...xe2...xe1...

Old 03-31-2015   #7
agfa100

I picked up a used one a year ago, and it's great I had been using a Ricoh GXR with the M-module for my M lenses. Now all I use is the RX-1 it can't do everything but close enough for me...
wbill

Old 03-31-2015   #8
rybolt

I've had an RX1 for a few months. I bought it to complement my Fuji X system and it's done pretty well at that. I tricked it out with the same crap that I have on the Fuji's; arca style grip, vented hood, Gordy's strap, and I find that it's just as comfortable for an elderly person to handle as the Fuji's are. I use it in the full manual exposure mode and it gives me a very accurate WYSIWYG view.

By the way, if you want one, keep an eye on cowboom.com. I bought mine brand new for $1400 with a US warranty and no charge shipping. If they put the RX1R on sale I'll buy it too.
A pair of Barnack Anniversary cameras
Who knows how many others

http://www.ryboltcox.com

Old 03-31-2015   #9
Big Ursus

I've had a Sony RX-1 for a couple of years. At first, I thought it was the best digital camera I owned. Now, it's part of my tool kit, along with a Fuji X-T1. At this point, I use the Sony when I need a 35 mm lens. Sometimes, I think it's the easiest camera to use that I've ever owned.

Old 04-01-2015   #10
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ursus View Post
I've had a Sony RX-1 for a couple of years. At first, I thought it was the best digital camera I owned. Now, it's part of my tool kit, along with a Fuji X-T1. At this point, I use the Sony when I need a 35 mm lens. Sometimes, I think it's the easiest camera to use that I've ever owned.
where in alberta are you?
i'm in edm.

xt20...xe2...xe1...

Old 04-01-2015   #11
kshapero
My view

How is the LCD screen on a bright sunny day?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Rx1r
Old 04-01-2015   #12
DwF

Rx1r

I found my RX1R used recently with finder at a great price and as one who has always loved fixed lens(35mm) compacts, had to try it.

I have not been using my X100S recently (but definitely plan to in the future) I have been using the Sony along with my XE2. When I see files out of the RX1, it reminds me of shooting Rolleiflex next to the Leica years back. There is that added tonal scale that makes the files sing. It can be achieved at times with smaller neg/sensor but takes a hell of a lot more work and in some conditions cannot be achieved. The dynamic range of the Sony is really good.

I find the EVF for me is useful but for walking around, I try to work around it too for simplicity and while manual focusing is not the same experience as the M camera, it works well and I get on fine with it.

I did do a test in the field one day with the X100, XE2 and the RX1 and that day, I felt disconnected from the X100, probably because I had not been using it. When I returned home, the best file of the shootout came from the X100S.

So conditions in my opinion can neutralize the difference. I also believe that forced to use one camera only is the best way to maximize performance, meaning if I had just focused on what I was after that day with the RX1, I'd have produced a better file of the scene than I did going back and forth.

David

Lcd
Old 04-01-2015   #13
DwF

Lcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
I have not been up on bright ski slopes with my Sony but have not had any issue with LCD screen yet. When manually focusing, it magnifies detail on the screen very nicely so it makes manual focusing easy to do. For me, the autofocus has also worked effectively when I have used it.

Old 04-01-2015   #14
f16sunshine

These threads always bring a subject camera or two to the classified
It's a great little camera!

Old 04-09-2015   #15
Big Ursus

Hi, back alley,
I live in downtown Edm! By any chance, are you a member of the local Monochrome Guild?
Big Ursus

Old 04-09-2015   #16
Big Ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
It's fine. In fact, although I have the EVF, I use the LCD much more often.

Old 04-10-2015   #17
rbelyell

prior to the rx1 my favorite camera was the x100. that camera weened me off dslr's (had been happily shooting a 5d with zeiss contax lenses) and onto rangefinders. i thought i'd never sell the x. because i love zeiss i tried the rx1 (with grip and evf both of which for me were mandatory to provide the best user experience). honestly i was blown away. the resolution is stunning, the microcontrast near perfect. there are enough mps to render 100% crops with ease thus yielding what is defacto at least a 35-70 zoom. and the lowlight performance is stellar, not to be believed imo, two stops better than the x100. and ergonomically, it is solid, pro-feeling and makes the x100 feel like a toy. the lens is not only a zeiss cult classic 'renderer', but it has girth and heft that makes holding it easy, focusing wonderful. the only thing i sometimes find a little lacking is the color in certain light needs boosting, and i still am really drawn to the fuji b&w rendering. but then i love the 35mm fl. were i only allowed one camera or one cam/lens combo it would undoubtedly be a 35.

having said all that, i so enjoy the entire shooting process of my epson rd1, and i am so enamored by the filmlike files i get out of it, the color 'pop', the awesome b&w tones, that the rx1 has lost its place as my 'go to' camera. tbh, i'm now wondering if i should keep the rx1, as good as it is, if its not my 'go to' rig. again, were i limited to one cam, it would probably be the rx1 because of its fabulous results and unmatched versatility at my personal preferreed fl. but i'm not, so at the end of the day, its not just about all that, at least for me.
tony

Old 04-10-2015   #18
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ursus View Post
Hi, back alley,
I live in downtown Edm! By any chance, are you a member of the local Monochrome Guild?
Big Ursus
i live in the north end...
not a member of the guild, they are film only and i stopped using film years ago...i know gordon from the guild though and usually attend their yearly exhibit on the south side.

xt20...xe2...xe1...

Old 04-17-2015   #19
Big Ursus

"not a member of the guild, they are film only and i stopped using film years ago"

I had to give up film and printing in the 80s, but I previously had exhibitions of my B&W work, and I've still got stuff to show at the Guild, so I joined. Besides, they're good folks.

Old 04-17-2015   #20
back alley
IMAGES

they seem friendly enough...i could shoot some film and have it processed/scanned at a lab i guess...wouldn't be me printing it though.

xt20...xe2...xe1...

Old 04-17-2015   #21
f16sunshine

Liking your new Avatar Joe!

Old 04-17-2015   #22
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
Liking your new Avatar Joe!
thanks andy...it's a popular shot for some reason...

but it's only temporary till i get my logo up there!
i had one made but need to figure out how to use the files...more info to follow!

xt20...xe2...xe1...

Old 09-20-2015   #23
FranZ

Let's revive this thread.
Just got a new to me RX1 with EVF and some other stuff yesterday and I am planning a "shootout" with my X100T in the following weeks. I like shooting with available licht and i took some pictures (JPG's) yesterday evening at a family diner and IQ looks a notch better than the X100T. Time will tell and I have to master PP as well. My aresenal contains 5 camera's at the moment, the other 3 are the Fuji XP1 and XT1 and the RX100M3 as the "always carry a camera" camera

FranZ

'The question is not what you look at, but what you see' - Thoreau

Fuji XT1 and Sony RX1Rm2/RX100M3 & a lot of fun

Old 09-21-2015   #24
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranZ View Post
IQ looks a notch better than the X100T.
Yes, it is clearly better. The RX1(R) is a camera that will give a reasonable image quality upgrade for most camera owners.

Old 09-28-2015   #25
Lss

It seems RX1 is now a "Sony NEX APC format" camera. So long full frame!

Enjoy your new camera
Old 09-28-2015   #26
DwF

Enjoy your new camera

Good luck learning your way around the RX1. You mention needing to master PP, and what struck me with the Sony more than my M9 when I got it, was how the larger files were easy to work with. That may be because I struggled a bit at first with some of my X-trans files during that time after selling my M9.

I haven't abandoned the smaller sensor cameras either though and find in some circumstances my results are equal to or better what i pull out of the Sony. Not saying IQ is better but a combination of factors that contribute to a better overall end result. It's nice to have both, and I particularly love the shallower DOF available with the combination of full frame and the 35mm FOV than the RX1 offers!

David

Old 09-28-2015   #27
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lss View Post
It seems RX1 is now a "Sony NEX APC format" camera. So long full frame!
What does this mean?

Old 09-29-2015   #28
Lss

It's the new forum name. RX1 discussions (and all other fixed-lens Sony cameras) go under NEX.

I don't know what APC means, perhaps it's short for APS-C.

Old 09-29-2015   #29
jsrockit

Ah, got ya LSS. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 02-15-2016   #30
gilpen123
Gil

It's never too late, now that prices have gone down substantially I jumped the gun and ordered a Rated "10" RX1r at BH. Also ordered extra battery, travel charger and Fotodiox hood. Excited to get this camera which has been in my radar since the RX1 came out just that the price was unreachable at that time.

Joe I have seen lower prices of RX1 and RX1r with lower ratings at BH, Adorama and KEH. Maybe it's time.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Old 02-15-2016   #31
huddy

RX1's of any feather are excellent little cameras, and I shot with one for about a year before parting with it The focusing system left something to be desired, but they sure are easy to carry with great IQ. I'm currently working on a sinking fund to get an RX1Rii or maybe another RX1, as they're really nice and probably the best lens I've ever used.

Old 02-15-2016   #32
gilpen123
Gil

Yes Huddy, The IQ is what has drawn me to the RX1r specially it has no AA filter (hype or not). As far as I've seen in the net from user experience, AF is not as quick as the M4/3 variants out there but not really slow poke or something like the X100 when it first came out. I can live with that, for those fast street shoots, my LX100 and GR can handle the challenge. I can have the 3 in a bag and carry less weight than a DSLR and lens.

Old 02-23-2016   #33
gilpen123
Gil

It's arriving piece by piece argh.....the EVF is here and the extra batteries now where is the RX1r?