Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica Q / T / X Series

Leica Q / T / X Series For the Leica Q, T, X series digital cameras

Leica Digilux 2, Tell me about it.
Old 03-14-2015   #1
B-9
Devin Bro

Leica Digilux 2, Tell me about it.

Hello gang!

I am the Happy owner of a Leica X1, but it is not perfect for everything.
The 36mm equivalent and poor close focus, leaves you wanting in the portrait dept.

Ideally, ide love a compact camera like my X1, with a 90mm equiv, hah right.

Thinking on this one, the Leica Digilux 2 (Lumix LC1) has a well reviewed 28-90/2.0-2.4 Vaio Summicron.

Is anyone shooting the Digilux 2 still?
Would you reccomend it?
Max ISO (400) noisy as hell?
Good used price?

Any better options in the sub-500$ range? (Prefer Fixed lens)

Any experience or comments welcome!
Thanks!

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 03-14-2015   #2
daveleo
» quello che Ť.

I have had the Digilux 2 since 2004.
Love it dearly, but it has it's limitations, and I haven't made "real" pictures with it in years. It's a shelf queen and it's staying there

Give a very serious look to the panasonic Lumix LX3 - LX7. I had an LX3 and in a burst of guilt or stupidity, I sold it to buy something else.
I believe the LX7 has much better specs and performance than the D2. I know that my LX3 beat out the D2 in overall image quality and the handleability / portability of the camera. For the real world, I would pick the LX3 over the D2. If it were a beauty contest, The D2 wins hands down.

"Insults are pouring down on me as thick as hail." .... E. Manet

Old 03-14-2015   #3
nikonosguy

Noisy as hell, but a damn good camera. I gave mine to my 11 year old. I run the digilux 2 group on Facebook, lot of great images.

Old 03-14-2015   #4
B-9
Devin Bro

Noisy, I figured.

So tempting, looking at these photos.

Now to save coin.

Old 03-14-2015   #5
kbg32
neo-romanticist

I had one and loved it. The 28-90 was the perfect walk around. Shutterlag drove me crazy, but I loved the files. Sold it to fund my Leica M8 at the time.

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keithís Gallery

Old 03-14-2015   #6
f16sunshine

I'm considering a Lumix LX100 for the exact reasons you are dealing with.

I like the Ricoh GR very much but, it is limited to "reportage" with that wide lens.
The LX100 goes wide to Portrait and has a nice clean sensor and 4K if you want it.
You swap out your X1 and have cash left over.
Cheers!

Old 03-14-2015   #7
nikonosguy

I love the digilux 3. Interchangeable lenses, sweet, but slow.... unsupported format. I'd go micro 4/3 and buy the leica lenses

Old 03-14-2015   #8
JP Owens

Just get an LX3. Lovely camera.

Old 03-14-2015   #9
rbelyell

i had one years ago when the lens was fast for its time. it was a nice piece of glass. but even back then the evf was probably the worst i had seen--laggy, artifacty and dark. at this point in time i'd honestly consider it not useable. further, only base iso is useable. many many better options. if you want nostalgic compact auto focus zoom get yourself a cheap gx7 + pan-leica zoom and you'll be miles ahead.

Old 03-14-2015   #10
daveleo
» quello che Ť.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post

I like the Ricoh GR very much but, it is limited to "reportage" with that wide lens.
The LX100 goes wide to Portrait and has a nice clean sensor and 4K if you want it.
Cheers!

Yes, the LX100 has a 4/3 sensor - bigger that the 2/3" of the D2. You're well over the $500 level, buy something to ponder.

BH is selling a new LX7 for $350.
I hate these kind of threads

Old 03-14-2015   #11
B-9
Devin Bro

Haha,

It does break up the monotony.

What if I just sold my X1 and my vehicle to get a new X Vario

Old 03-14-2015   #12
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

I had a Digilux 2 and liked it a lot. I didn't notice noise in the images for my applications. I eventually sold it to fund a D-Lux 3, which I liked even better. The Digilux 2 main limitation was that it only went to ISO 400. That cost me some shots that I could get easily with the D-Lux 3 (and the D-lux 4 and D-Lux 6 I now have as well). I didn't much care for the digital-only finder on the Digilux 2, though. I used the LCD screen most of the time.

Here's a shot:

The D-Lux 6 goes from 24mm to 90mm, takes great macro closeups, has high ISO, does it all. Expensive, though.
My Fuji X10 goes from 28 to 90mm, and has a large sensor for its small size. Very good IQ.

Old 03-15-2015   #13
David Hughes

Hi,

I've still got and use the Digilux 2 but I seldom worry about the noise as I use it at 100 or 200 ISO. I don't worry about the VF either as it beats waving the thing in the air at arms' length and can be used in sunlight.

I think the handling and controls ought to be the reason to buy it, and that lens of course. Plus it's a nice big camera to hold and slow speeds are easier, imo.

But mostly I like the layout of the controls and the real shutter speed dial and the real aperture ring and the real zoom ring and the other important controls in sensible positions and the bounce flash.

All in all you get a very nice package for your money, and not much money either.

Regards, David

PS and it takes a good picture too...

Old 03-15-2015   #14
B-9
Devin Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post

I think the handling and controls ought to be the reason to buy it, and that lens of course. Plus it's a nice big camera to hold and slow speeds are easier, imo...

That is the truth, I want that Lens!

Old 03-15-2015   #15
rbelyell

wanting the lens is understandable--as is wanting a ferrari engine. however, having that ferrari engine in a broken down jalopy would be a curious choice to make, unless one were to ditch the body and start over again building a new body around the motor. unfortunately thats not possible with the Digilux2, which has a ferrari engine-lens in a 2 speed body that cannot run over 30 mph and whose suspension cannot handle but the simplest of turns. i think often times we build up romantic notions around these gadgets, which are tools at the end of the day.

is the lens good-yes. are the controls and 'heft' good-yes. is the sensor incredibly and achingly limited-yes. is the evf one of the worst ever made-yes. can one duplicate or surpass the two positives while eliminating the negatives with readily availble inexpensive alternatives-resoundingly yes.

at the end of the day these are subjective decisions, and as such have no real right or wrong answer. but i'm not sure why one would seek a discussion like this and then ignore the overwhelming negatives unless ones mind was already made up. in which case good luck with your soon to be acquired digilux 2!

Old 03-15-2015   #16
daveleo
» quello che Ť.

I must agree with rbelyell. Your mind seems determined about the D2 and you are overlooking it's serious negatives.
I have one and love it, but there are many better choices out there when it comes to making pictures.
If you "need" a Leica branded camera, look at their dlux series (counterparts to the Panasonic LX series).
It's your cash, and your decision. But maybe take a cold shower before you actually buy one.

Old 03-15-2015   #17
B-9
Devin Bro

Actually, ive only decided that Ide like something longer in my kit.

To me, the cons seem trivial compared to the pros.

I drive a Geo Tracker, so im afraid you lost me with the Ferrari talk

Ive also owned a D-Lux 4, It was nice, but I despise having to dig into a Menu for control,

Ok well ****, maybe I have made up my mind. Haha

Old 03-15-2015   #18
Kent
Finally at home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbg32 View Post
I had one and loved it. The 28-90 was the perfect walk around. ... Sold it to fund my Leica M8 at the time.
Same for me.

I had one for some years. Lens is great, pictures at ISO100 are fantastic, the best 5 MPix photos I have ever seen (before the D2 I thought that the Sony V1 would be the champ).
At ISO 200 photos are OK, but noise starts already. ISO 200 b/w is amazing, though, very film like.
ISO 400 is only usable for b/w. Pretty nice there, but with colour - better not, or just for small prints.

Shutter lag is present, yes, but I didn't think it was too bad.

Built quality is really high and its looks are gorgeous. Still one of the most beautiful digital cams, I'd say.

The biggest drawback, though, was the viewfinder: tiny and pixelled. I never really liked it, unfortunately.

Still, selling it was a tough fight. The only reason for me to finally really give it away was that it helped me to buy my M8.

That lens combined with the sensor of the Fuji X10/X20 - THAT would be a cracker!
Main Lenses: Nikkor, Leica, Fuji, Voigtlšnder, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Samyang etc.
Click me...

Old 03-15-2015   #19
B-9
Devin Bro

I own and use a Sony V1 actually, which is why I posted here about the D2.

I love the look of the files it makes, but I cant stand those hard to find Memory Sticks.
Plus, it is ergonomically challenged to say the least. The IR Night shot feature is fun.

Thanks everyone, Im going to save the coin and just grab one, it sounds just fine to my ears, even the bad.

Old 03-15-2015   #20
nikonosguy

Look at my Facebook group. Some gorgeous images

Old 03-15-2015   #21
B-9
Devin Bro

Blake, ive been glued to it.

Which is not helping GAS one bit.

Now ill proly spend my birthday tomorrow making classifieds.

Old 03-15-2015   #22
tomtofa

It was one of my favorite cameras - well actually I preferred the Panasonic version, the LC1. Easier to hold and operate for me. Had one or two of each over the years.

People have mentioned the lens; it was wonderful. Lag wasn't so bad if you set it up manually instead of on auto. The other thing it had that no one has done better since, besides the lens, was the quality of the jpegs it produced (at base ISO or maybe 200).

When I look through my old pics and come across some from it, I still get the urge to get another one. But, for me, it would be hard to go back to the lack of resolution of the 5MP, 2/3" sensor. As Sean Reid would say, it's a sketch camera, though it made the most of what it had.

Hmm, as I write this I'm looking at a 12x18 print on the wall that was from it. from a few feet away it looks pretty good . . .

Old 03-15-2015   #23
rbelyell

i'm sorry, i must be misinterperting your statement. you don't mean that no camera since the digi2 puts out better jpegs, do you? because not only does the 6mp rd1 produce better jpegs, but off the top of my head i could probably reel off several scores more that do as well. putting my mind to it, and a few beers, i think i could get to 100. ): lets not go down that rabbit hole.

Old 03-15-2015   #24
kshapero
Photo Taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post

Cheers!
I had the Panasonic version. The Pany LX100 looks like it's heir apparent.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 03-15-2015   #25
ironhorse
Joe DuPont

I had been impressed by the images I had seen in the various Leica forms so I bought the Panasonic LC1 last year. I wound up selling it after a few weeks because I hated using it, especially because of the viewfinder. Overall the camera looked great and had the controls in the right places, but the overall feel of the camera was too far inferior to my Leica M.

Joe

"The whole point of taking pictures is so that you donít have to explain things with words." - Elliott Erwitt

Old 03-15-2015   #26
f16sunshine

Hi Devin

Here's a question.... Why would you want 2 point and shoots?

Sell the Leica X1 and get one camera to cover all the bases.
I recommended the LUMIX LX100 because it has a larger sensor and will replace the X11 very nicely.
You could also look at a Sony RX100. It's pretty good for portraits at the long end of it's focal range.
The LUMIX is still better in terms of DOF and less compression.
If a larger size is ok (since you mentioned the X-vario), a Fuji XE1 and 18-55 is hard to beat.
At 55f4 the portraits from that lens are sweet.

Old 03-15-2015   #27
B-9
Devin Bro

Ide like to keep my X1, Im attached firmly.

The D2 has serious allure as a companion, giving me a quick 28/50/75/90 to Suppliment my 36/2.8 (all equiv. Of course).

I rarely ever have felt an impulse for a print larger than 8x10, and I only ever really post photos to family via email and possibly Instagram or Facebook. So 5mp, with good quality finest Jpegs, sounds perfect. SD format supports the older non HC cards I have accumulated.

The crappy evf isnt so bothersome, as long as I can roughly frame, and confirm my focus via a green dot, just like the olden days Could I even get an awful beep with it too!?

It does seem like it will be a waiting game finding a D2 at a reasonable price.
Ide feel alot better if this camera was more in the 250$ price point.
Maybe Ill get lucky while im saving.

Thanks for entertaining a bit of chatter, alot of good points to consider.

Old 03-15-2015   #28
tomtofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbelyell View Post
i'm sorry, i must be misinterperting your statement. you don't mean that no camera since the digi2 puts out better jpegs, do you? because not only does the 6mp rd1 produce better jpegs, but off the top of my head i could probably reel off several scores more that do as well. putting my mind to it, and a few beers, i think i could get to 100. ): lets not go down that rabbit hole.
No, that's just what I meant. For my taste. Haven't tried the RD1, but various Panasonic, Olympus, Leica, Fuji, Sigma cameras since then. None of them give me jpegs anything close to what I can get with raw; wasn't an issue with the D2/LC1. Again, for my taste.

But by all means have a few beers and come up with some you like better. Share a couple of beers with me and I'll probably start agreeing with you ;-)

Old 03-15-2015   #29
B-9
Devin Bro

Haha,

I like where all this beer talk is going!

Old 03-16-2015   #30
David Hughes

Hmmmm, the D-2 turns out 2560 x 1920 pixels and so at 200 dpi that's 12.8" x 9.6". At exhibition quality of 300dpi it gives 8.5" x 6.4". Do that on A5 and it's better than 300dpi. And on A4 its pretty good to very good, depending on the subject. I've printed much larger and been pleased.

So there's scope for decent sized prints in the thing and it does turn out printer ready jpg's.

And it's a very nice camera to use. You soon forget the minor niggles, as you do with any camera: even a Leica M.

Regards, David

Old 03-16-2015   #31
B-9
Devin Bro

Thanks David, those are good numbers, for my intended use.

Old 03-16-2015   #32
jesse1dog
Light Catcher

Pick up a Panasonic Lumix LF1 - they seem to be very cheap because they were not a popular line. It will certainly go in your shirt pocket and has an EVF (bit of a joke but works). The camera might just surprise you!
I'm using the LX7 at present but intend to go m4/3. The GM5 might be out of your budget and size limits but an interesting camera.

'A photograph shows a slice of life that is already history; just a piece of a jig-saw that you will never see completed!'

Lumix LF1 LX7 and some others not in use!.

My Gallery

Old 03-16-2015   #33
dotur
od karnevala

Buy the D2.

dotur's photo albums

Old 03-16-2015   #34
chhayanat

I shoot with the D2 almost exclusively. I also have the macro attachment for it although I don't really shoot macro so the famous and "rare" piece of glass is just sitting there in the box. I keep thinking that I could use one of those newer cameras with bigger sensors and all but to be honest the D2 is very comfortable at this point. It's like the tattered old tshirt-comfortable. Get it if you find a reasonable price!

Old 03-18-2015   #35
daveleo
» quello che Ť.

There is a Pana LC1 for sale - just came u - in the classifieds here.

Old 03-23-2015   #36
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotur View Post
Buy the D2.
I bought its sister, the LC1.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 03-23-2015   #37
B-9
Devin Bro

And Raid takes the prize!

That was a really clean LC1, at a solid price.

Let us know how you get on with it!

Old 06-20-2015   #38
Landberg

I used to have one and always regretted selling it! I just bought a new one for about $2500.

Old 06-20-2015   #39
raid
Dad Photographer

I like the camera. It is an old version of the new Leica Q.
This is how I view things.

Old 06-20-2015   #40
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landberg View Post
I used to have one and always regretted selling it! I just bought a new one for about $2500.
Which model is it? At $2500, it must be very different from the old one.