Leica M8.2 - problem with shutter or sensor?
Old 12-01-2014   #1
Georgiy Romanov
stray cat

Leica M8.2 - problem with shutter or sensor?

Good day for everyone!

A friend of mine have an issue with his M8.2 camera. Last month he make a picture and saw strange horisontal line in top left corner of the image

He don't make any notice for that untill situation repeated yesterday. Almost indentical line was founded again but in other place of the shot.

Both images was made on 1/30th of the second in cold weather (-10c). Right now images from camera looks nice and clean.

What it can be? Shutter dies or sensor? I listen your thoughts about this problem.

Georgiy.

Old 12-01-2014   #2
YYV_146

Low temperatures do strange things to sensor. If it takes normal pictures now, there's probably no long-term damage. I would avoid <0C conditions with the camera, though.

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

point source edge flare on M8
Old 12-01-2014   #3
David Strachan

point source edge flare on M8

The black streaks are from "point source edge flare" ie bright lights on the image edge, particularly at night. Though I have managed to replicate quite easily in daylight. They manifest as thick dark bands...really not white light like real flare.

So to stop this problem don't have bright lights on the frame edges. Other camera sensors have this problem too sometimes.

Although I live in a warm climate (Australia) this problem, I'm sure, is nothing to do with camera use temperatures.

cheers Dave S

Old 12-01-2014   #4
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

A known problem of the M8. They all do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiy Romanov View Post
Good day for everyone!

A friend of mine have an issue with his M8.2 camera. Last month he make a picture and saw strange horisontal line in top left corner of the image

He don't make any notice for that untill situation repeated yesterday. Almost indentical line was founded again but in other place of the shot.

Both images was made on 1/30th of the second in cold weather (-10c). Right now images from camera looks nice and clean.

What it can be? Shutter dies or sensor? I listen your thoughts about this problem.

Georgiy.

jaapvphotography

Old 12-02-2014   #5
Georgiy Romanov
stray cat

Yes, as David says it looks like some kind of flare. Weird stuff Good news for my friend and not so for me because i really like to shot in back light .