Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Olympux XA Shutter Question
Old 07-08-2014   #1
n17man

Question Olympux XA Shutter Question

I have acquired an Olympus XA in very good overall condition. Battery check works. Shutter works intermittently. I have dismantled the shutter button mechanism and discovered that one piece, the button release rubber flange (grey) was in fact floating loose in the shutter well.

I also discovered that the button spring seems to be completely flat, with no visible capacity for 'springiness', in the language of the XA repair manual, 'deformed'. See photo of the parts below.

Since the camera does work and is in good condition I have two questions:
  • what would be the impact of the missing 'floating' rubber release flange?
  • what is the best way to restore 'resilience' to the button spring?

Just by way of a stray thought: is the XA shutter button assembly a version of an early momentary electronics switch? If so ..... then .... !

Old 07-09-2014   #2
farlymac
PF McFarland

You re-tension the spring by bending the tabs back into shape. Look for an image to see how much bending is needed, or just give it a good guess.

PF

Old 07-12-2014   #3
n17man

Thank you. I will try that. Work in progress.

Old 12-30-2016   #4
One Star Over

Any luck?? I have an XA here that I loved to use but the more I used it the more intermittent the firing of the shutter became. Now it doesn't work at all. The "spring" inside was flat when I removed it. I don't know which direction to bend the spring in an effort to re-tention it. When it shutter components are separated it works. When the two metal pieces inside make contact the shutter fires (if that makes sense).