Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF News

RFF News News related to photography and rangefinderforum.

OK Folks, what is Missing? How can we improve RFF ?
Old 03-27-2014   #1
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

OK Folks, what is Missing? How can we improve RFF ?

OK Folks,

What can I do as an administrator to improve RFF ?
I am open to suggestions.

I am not so much looking for tiny improvements,
as I am for BIG improvements and/or Added Features.

And PLEASE, no comments about the moderation. It is a given that Moderation is a constant battle which can by definition NEVER satisfy Everyone.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Stephen

Old 03-27-2014   #2
oftheherd

Thanks for the question, Stephen. But personally, I am satisfied as it is.

Or maybe just unimaginative? But again, thanks so much for hosting RFF.

Old 03-27-2014   #3
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

I'll second the previous poster. The site works well for me; its a joy to hang our here. But thanks for asking. :-)

Old 03-27-2014   #4
redisburning
-

I'd like to see a considerably improved classifieds search and more control of my profile in easy to reach places.

currently it takes a lot of effort to see my own posts. far too much, IMO. also, it's too difficult to navigate between my forum profile and my classifieds profile. I would like to see them play nicer with each other.

Old 03-27-2014   #5
aizan

rangefinder forum commemorative leica mp (or fuji x100s).

Old 03-27-2014   #6
Noll

I happen to really like the dedicated lens review section found at pentaxforums.com or direct link here: http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/

There is so much collective experience with so many types of equipment here that it would be great to feature this knowledge in a structured way. As it stands, even with google and the internal search feature, much gets buried in the archives.

Thanks for posing the question.

Old 03-27-2014   #7
Scrambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noll View Post
I happen to really like the dedicated lens review section found at pentaxforums.com or direct link here: http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/

There is so much collective experience with so many types of equipment here that it would be great to feature this knowledge in a structured way. As it stands, even with google and the internal search feature, much gets buried in the archives.

Thanks for posing the question.
I would second this concept. There is such an encycopaedic knowledge of rangefinders in particular but things photographic in general that I often wonder if there isn't a way to get it all down "once and for all."

I suspect, though, that a paywall or similar would be required to keep theft to a minimum.

Stephen, I find the balance here very good. Enough divergence of opinion to make it worth discussing things, enough genuine knowledge and experience to make asking a question worth while.

The only thing I would like is more opportunity for critique of beginner's photos - the gallery is a bit daunting for aspiring rather than actual photographers. I know the mechanisms are there (with the critique forum) but again, it seems a bit daunting to start a new critique thread: I don't believe there's been one in my time.

Still - that's not something for you to do: it's there, i just need to use it.

Old 03-27-2014   #8
uhoh7

RFF is such a fantastic resource and mix of many different views on photography. To me, it's the most interesting photo forum, because I'm constantly surprised by the varied discussions. And learning from them.

For me the aspect which could be improved most is the gallery. There is great content, but it's difficult to quickly browse hi rez images. One of the great improvements in computers and tablets in the past few years has been the higher resolutions and image quality.

The gallery is not "bad". You can click on a single image and enlarge it. But imagine a feature which would fill your screen at natural resolution and run a random slide show, for example. Would turn my living room into a photo gallery and expose me to shooters I might not normally see.

Today I think image display options abound for such a task. Of course that's easy for me to say, as I don't need to do the work, LOL

But making actual photography more accessible at RFF could have a big impact.

Beyond the gallery, wouldn't it be fantastic to have some display options; slideshow like; for our incredible words/no words threads. I understand these images are coming from mutliple sources. That would be cutting edge, but could have quite an impact.

Thanks for all your hard work,

PS I'm fond of the rest of the layout, including ads.

Old 03-27-2014   #9
CVickery

I generally like the site as it is, but the feedback section of the B&S is difficult to use and could use an update.
SEM 21/3.4, CV Color Skopar 28/3.5, CV Ultron 28/2, UC-Hexanon 35/2, Summilux 35/1.4 ASPH, Summicron Rigid 50/2, Summicron 50/2 IV, Summitar 50/2, Summilux 75/1.4, CV Color-Heliar 75/2.5, CV APO Lanthar 90/3.5, Tele-Elmar 135/4
Other stuff

Old 03-27-2014   #10
kxl
Social Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
OK Folks,

Just some brainstorming ideas - love 'em or hate 'em...

1) Start hosting blogs where RFF'ers can link their gallery photos or tutorials or reviews or posts, etc... and allow other other RFF'ers to follow them. This allows us to go to one place to view contributions by specific RFF'ers.

2) Detailed gear reviews from reviewers who can get loaner equipment from manufacturers

3) Knowledge Management database that allows an RFF'er look up "how to" do specific tasks, e.g., develop b&w film, convert color into B&W in PS, etc...

4) A video forum?

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.Ē ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 03-27-2014   #11
Contarama

I have been here only a few years but the "look" of the site has always been the same. And it is ok by me too. But maybe you could change the look up a bit? Just something fresh. Membership and basic forum mechanics is outstanding imo.

Maybe talk Tom into making some more of the rff soft releases for M's and Nikon F's...

Old 03-28-2014   #12
Nikos72

I love it as it is. I may be short of imagination right now, but I find RFF nice and cozy. It is easy to find what I am looking for and all that makes up a perfect forum is here.
Any new, but not obtrusive features will be welcome.

Old 03-28-2014   #13
Rodchenko
Olympian

Um, I'm happy. No need to change anything major.

Old 03-28-2014   #14
dct

Regarding the look of the site, I support the group "I like it like it is". I don't like "modern" flickering gimmickly web features for the sake of itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noll View Post
[...]There is so much collective experience with so many types of equipment here that it would be great to feature this knowledge in a structured way. As it stands, even with google and the internal search feature, much gets buried in the archives.
And I support this. At DPreview the articles are not always best and most user comments are crap, but what I really like is the gear search/structure of their site. With 2-3 clicks you got what you were looking for.
What is missing there (and buried here at RFF) are the quality repair and upgrade experiences, as well as the personal reviews from hundreds of engaged useres. It calls for a knowledge base, as already mentioned here.

Old 03-28-2014   #15
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Posting feedback to sales is quirky, to say the least. And, I'd like to have an option to select locations in the sales / wtb section. Too often I've read a whole ad with excitement, only to see 'US only' at the bottom.

I say RFF can generate some extra revenue on the sales ads when they are more versatile. Helps fund hosting, right?

Oh, and the Calendar (in the main menu bar) hasn't been updated since 2008 or so? Might wanna ditch it.

And, a searchable Reviews section might help to make info on cameras and gear accessible over a longer time. I've written a review on the Leica M3 there some time ago but I don't think it's possible to post reviews there anymore? Maybe have a simple draft of a review up that people can use as a template when creating their own review, posted on RFF after moderation?

Cheers from Holland,

Johan

Old 03-28-2014   #16
slidesandthecity

+1 for the knowledge database with reviews, repair guides and everything else a person interested in photography and photo gear might want to know.

As for the look of the site: I like it as it is.

Old 03-28-2014   #17
Lss

As far as I know, the original poster is still able to delete an entire thread thus wiping out everyone else's (often useful) contributions. That should never happen.

Old 03-28-2014   #18
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansel View Post
For me the biggest improvement would be to change the text/background colour. White text on a black background is really hard to read sometimes. If you could reverse that to black on white it would make the site much more easier to read.
go to the bottom left of your screen to change skins...

xe2...xe1...16...23...27...56...55-200

original canon F1...T90...24/2.8...100/2.8...200/2.8...300/5.6

Old 03-28-2014   #19
lynnb

First, thanks for running simply the best photography site on the web. RFF is more than the sum of its parts.

+1 on the knowledge database. It has to have a very intuitive search function. The great strength of RFF is the immense breadth and depth of knowledge amongst its members. That collective knowledge has the potential to be THE go-to source of photography information on the web. If you build it, my guess is the people (and revenue, if page views can be monetized) will come.

I want to be able to look up a problem and get detailed, informed answers - including all the give-and-takes (compromises) that each solution involves. For example, I've gone back to shooting a lot of film and have been experimenting with quite a few different bw and colour emulsions. For the bw films (which I develop myself) I wanted a simple table that cross-tabulated film, film size, developer, and development method with end results by acuity, grain, contrast and perhaps subjective comments about the sort of subjects each of these combinations were best suited to.

Let's say I wanted to shoot portraits and I'm interested in producing moody, gritty low light portraits that are high on emotion rather than tonal perfection and maximum resolution. The search function should suggest a number of film/developer/dev method combinations with comments about the results that can be expected and with sample images if possible. Including film format is essential - the results from HP5+ in Rodinal with normal agitation are very different for 120 compared to 35mm.

I haven't seen the Pentax database mentioned above but I like the idea of a list of lenses for each format with comments about resolution, contrast, susceptibility to flare, performance wide open, but also including a summary of subjective comments from experienced users about what sort of rendition can be expected and what subjects each lens is typically used for.

So the big picture is, it would be good to leverage the accumulated knowledge and wisdom here in ways that make it more easily accessible in a structured way. I've just been thinking aloud here, so I hope this makes sense.

Thanks again, Stephen, for your great job in administering this site.

Old 03-28-2014   #20
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I can't think of much that needs changing, This is by far the most together forum I visit in regard to how it functions.

Maybe give Joe a knighthood ... arise sir Back Alley!

Old 03-28-2014   #21
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Actually there is one thing that bugs me but god only knows how to address it. People are constantly posting oversize images in threads that instantly make the thread unwieldy with the need to side scroll. Threads that are affected in this way are a pain and I avoid them.

Though I don't know if this an be corrected with software ... I doubt it!

Old 03-28-2014   #22
Brian Atherton

Nothing. Iím happy the way it is. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

IMHO the most knowledgeable and helpful camera forum out there by a country mile... and then some. The humourís not bad, either.

While Iím dishing out the accolades, I record my sincere thanks and appreciation to everyone involved in running the RFF.

I raise my glass. Cheers!

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 03-28-2014   #23
LChanyungco

It would be good to be able to embed video in posts. Documentaries, tutorials, reviews, slide shows, etc.

Old 03-28-2014   #24
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Forum Runner is literally falling apart on the latest Android versions (missing half the icon line and getting stuck ever so often), and it seems to have been abandoned by the authors. So perhabs a switch to some other mobile forum reader, or a more useful mobile friendly template (the installed version of Iskin seems to be missing several features of the site)?

Old 03-28-2014   #25
sjgslack

Hi

I'm keen on the 'like' or 'thanks' buttons that some other forums have against posts (the leica forum for example)... It's a neat way to show appreciation for useful posts when you don't want to actually respond to them

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
OK Folks,

What can I do as an administrator to improve RFF ?
I am open to suggestions.

And PLEASE, no comments about the moderation. It is a given that Moderation is a constant battle which can by definition NEVER satisfy Everyone.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Stephen

Old 03-28-2014   #26
okto

TAPATALK INTEGRATION. Most of the forums I read have the Tapatalk plugin, and I'd love to be able to read everything all in one place.

And better classifieds search, the current system works, but it's a little hinky.

And and and thanks for all the great work. This forum is truly a gem.

Old 03-28-2014   #27
pgk

I too like the 'thanks' buttons so I'd second this.

My only other suggestion would be some way of stopping posted images being 'quoted' and reappearing in subsequent posts - and a 'thanks' button might help redress this as it replaces and potentially avoids a complimentary comment on an image.

Old 03-28-2014   #28
TEZillman

While I consider RFF to be the best photography site on the web, there is one little thing that makes me crazy. Would it be possible to limit the size of photos inserted into threads? I generally read RFF on a tablet and if too large of a photo is inserted, it makes reading the text all but impossible without zooming in and scrolling across the page. It also reduces the size of normal photos. A prime example of this is the 9th page in the thread on legacy lenses on Fuji X cameras. Thanks for asking!

Old 03-28-2014   #29
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansel View Post
Thanks. If the bright orange title bars could be removed that would be usable.... Something like what we have now but black on white rather than the other way around, with no bright colours to draw the eye away from the text.
At the bottom left of the page is a selection that says 'VBP Graphite Xpand - White Font.' What you want is the one that says 'VBP Iskin.' Or you can experiment with any of the others. Me personally, I have gotten quite comfortable with the VBP Graphite Xpand - White Font. No other forum I go to has it, so I have not doubt I am on RFF.

Old 03-28-2014   #30
Steve M.

Maybe a "How To" section for us DIYers. And a place where members could post stills, videos, or links to videos on beginning (and advanced) darkroom work. Something to take the newbie from loading film into the camera to pulling the finished print out of the water. Or broken up into different sections. I see digital as sort of a dead end, and more about getting the latest gear, the latest software, etc. Film is still alive and well, it has a unique look, and isn't that hard to get started with....but at first it is baffling and intimidating trying to figure out how to get something up on a wall w/o subbing the stuff out to a 3rd party, which is gonna teach people nothing and offers much smaller satisfaction. I'm not talking about turning the site into APUG, which is a great site but can often get way too technical for it's own good. Just a section with more depth on the entire chemical processes, which really hasn't changed much in 100 years. I like that. If something has value, it sticks around for a while.

Otherwise, except for the feedback dealie, it looks very good. It's hard to see my snacks and vino at night w/ the black interface, but I bought a small goose neck lamp for the computer desk, so there's been no more drinks-into-the-keyboard episodes. Yet.

Old 03-28-2014   #31
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

We have some listings of the gear, which is selectable for image properties in the Gallery.
Would be great if it will be possible to add your own and review it in something like users review.
Also max size for picture file is so small, I couldn't upload 800 pixels bw files sometimes.

Old 03-28-2014   #32
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

I believe (hope) this is being worked on already, but full integration of the camera repair archive -- searchability at least, and new threads ideally, would be great.

Old 03-28-2014   #33
burancap

"Thanks" button like at LUF would be huge!

Old 03-28-2014   #34
anjoca76

Overall, I like it the way it is.

But yes, I agree wholeheartedly about the "like" function. Submitting a whole post just to put "+1" makes threads unnecessarily long.

I also think there should be a way to increase mailbox sizes. Text takes up such miniscule storage space that I can't why it's not possible.

But...I think we go through this suggestion box thing every couple years, and for the most part things stay the same. Which is fine; most of us are good with the way things are. But I can't help but think this is another exercise in futility.

Flickr

Old 03-28-2014   #35
Bill Clark

Like the participants. I find folks here who are around my age. For the most part, I like the threads and the comments people make.

Hope you're reasonably satisfied with business you obtain from here. Any chance you could offer Luigi cases? Would it sell for your business? Just a thought to help.

Should anything be worked on jointly with LHSA? It might benefit both parties.

http://www.lhsa.org/

Any interest with a Facebook Rangefinder page or group page? Maybe you already have it and I missed it! How many participants here have a facebook page?

Moderators do an excellent job.

I like Rangefinder Forum. Thanks for letting me be a member.

Old 03-28-2014   #36
Ronny

I really like this site.
Keep the good work.
Thanks.

Old 03-28-2014   #37
Michael Markey

Still in many ways probably the best resource on the web for what I`m interested in.
I especially appreciate the input from the mentors .... Roger , Bill and Tom.

Improvements ...I think its been mentioned a few posts back ...some way to stop the threads exceeding a readable size when somebody posts a large file.

Old 03-28-2014   #38
zauhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
I'd like to see a considerably improved classifieds search and more control of my profile in easy to reach places.

currently it takes a lot of effort to see my own posts. far too much, IMO. also, it's too difficult to navigate between my forum profile and my classifieds profile. I would like to see them play nicer with each other.
I second that. Sometimes I want to pull up threads I was part of in the past, there is no simple way to do that. Also, the 30sec limit between searches is lame, have not seen that anywhere else.

Small gripes for a great site, thanks for all you have done.

Randy
Canon 7/50mm f1.4
Leica IIIf/Summitar/Collapsible Summicron
Yashica Electro 35

Old 03-28-2014   #39
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Actually there is one thing that bugs me but god only knows how to address it. People are constantly posting oversize images in threads that instantly make the thread unwieldy with the need to side scroll. Threads that are affected in this way are a pain and I avoid them.

Though I don't know if this an be corrected with software ... I doubt it!
I agree with this. I wonder, is there a way for the forum to be able to detect the size of our screens? Or, maybe, a way for us to each specify our own so that images are rendered/sized to our screens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lss View Post
As far as I know, the original poster is still able to delete an entire thread thus wiping out everyone else's (often useful) contributions. That should never happen.
Deleting my own posts is one thing but deleting some one else's is not right.
I started, for example, a thread of cell phone photos. That thread has 300+ replies and 30 thousand views () and just because I started that thread, I should not be able to delete all those replies.

A few folks have mentioned video; I think "how to" type videos would be very useful. Not sure what the best way to implement that would be. Given that video takes up more resources than text or stills, maybe have that section be curated?

Thanks for asking, Stephen!
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 03-28-2014   #40
pete hogan

RFf is a great site, always something interesting to see.

"Thanks" button would be a nice addition.

Zorki 1d Ektar