Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Digital Compacts

Ricoh GR - what a great street camera!
Old 01-03-2014   #1
taemo

Ricoh GR - what a great street camera!

I'm really impressed with the Ricoh GR, as much as I loved using the Fuji X100/s cameras for street/travel, I've found that the GR works better for me. (I still want a FF X100s though).
I kept going back and forth between the 2 camera for weeks, which one to sell and which one to keep. Eventually I decided to settle with the GR for a couple of reason:
-smaller, fits in my jacket, sweater or jeans, just not skinny jeans.
-quiet and discreet, both really are silent but I noticed with the X100/s that you can see the aperture blades closing/opening when shooting.
-crop mode is useful, 35mm 10MP and 50mm 6MP; not like I'm going to make 24x36 prints of my street shots.
-21mm with the GW3 lens. It's my UWA landscape camera now. With the X100/s and the WCL-X100 lens, you only go down to 28mm.
-snap mode is easy to use and there's nothing faster than preset focus.

Here's how mine looks and how I use it.

When street shooting I set my ISO to 1600, Aperture mode and snap focus set to 2m.
I set the aperture according, f/11 in bright locations, f/5.6 in low light and /8 if I'm not sure. (I find f/6.3 the sweet spot in low light because focus is from ~1m to ~9m).
My shutter speed will hover around 1/250-1/1000 most of the time.
I then turn the screen off and concentrate on composing on my cheap 28/35mm viewfinder.

Here's some shots taken with the GR.

Haven't had much chance to shoot landscape with it but here's a few

Old 01-03-2014   #2
stompyq

I love mine also, although I guess my technique is different. I set mine to Tav and auto iso. I try to keep the shutter speed high and adjust the aperture as needed. I generally like to keep the aperture wider than f8. The camera is so small and so non threatening that even when i spend time composing most people don't pay me any attention. I had the X100 also and although a great camera, the Ricoh GR is much better for my purposes.

Old 01-03-2014   #3
stompyq

How is the GW3? is there any degradation because of the extra lens elements?

Old 01-03-2014   #4
Arquetipofoto
Arquetipo

Nice pictures, I particularly like #2 a lot.

Congrats!!

tumblr http://arquetipofoto.tumblr.com/

BESSA R, ELMAR 2.8, W. ACAI KYOEI35MM, LEICA CL, CANONET, NEX 7, FLEXARET V, AND A FEW OTHERS

Old 01-03-2014   #5
taemo

I've read about Tav and auto ISO, might have to give it a try next.
altough in reality f/8 is more than enough on the street with the GR at 2m (in focus from 1m to 110m)

I'm not a pixel peeper and found the GW3 good enough for my landscape shots.
the canyon shot was taken with the GW3

and here's GR w/ GW3 vs X-Pro1 w/ 14mm 2.8

Old 01-03-2014   #6
David_Manning

I was just shaking my head recently for the fact that I'm getting more enjoyment out of shooting my GR than really any other camera in my home (got lots of them...including an M9).

I shoot mine kinda like a film compact...ISO 400, BW mode, aperture priority. Want some motion blur? Spin the wheel to f16. Want DoF? ND on, spin back to f2.8 and get close.

It's small, quiet, fast in operation, and terrific metering. AND...it has an onboard flash.

Lots to like about this little pocket rocket, including APS-C sensor and plenty of megapixels.

I do all my post in SilverEfex Pro, and like the compact camera film look.

Old 01-03-2014   #7
macfiend

I too find myself enjoying the GR more than any other camera in the house. I recently sold my X100 since I realized that if I wasn't shooting film with the M6, I was reaching for the GR or GRD IV for everything else.

Great photos by the way

Cheers,

John

http://jsfotographic.tumblr.com/

Old 01-03-2014   #8
N.delaRua

The thing that really attracts me about this camera is its appearance. I mean it looks like a non-descript crap point and shoot.

Except that it isn't. I've gotten asked to leave with film cameras or not allowed in to bars etc. with "professional" cameras like a FM2 and the like.

No one would ever say anything to me if I walked up to the door with GR (likely because its hidden in my pocket).

I can't imagine anyone being suspicious of the GR cause it looks like nothing special. however, I really want a X100/s and plan on buying one, but the financial side and inconspicuous nature of the GR speak to me.

Have you had any experiences like that with the GR vs. X100?

Old 01-03-2014   #9
taemo

David, terrific shots and I know what you mean.
the GR and M9 are the only digital cameras that I have and I'm so close on letting the M9 go if not for it being my tele with the 90mm.
very tempted on selling it and getting a DP3m though, or maybe X-Pro1 w/ 56mm

Old 01-03-2014   #10
taemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.delaRua View Post
The thing that really attracts me about this camera is its appearance. I mean it looks like a non-descript crap point and shoot.

Except that it isn't. I've gotten asked to leave with film cameras or not allowed in to bars etc. with "professional" cameras like a FM2 and the like.

No one would ever say anything to me if I walked up to the door with GR (likely because its hidden in my pocket).

I can't imagine anyone being suspicious of the GR cause it looks like nothing special. however, I really want a X100/s and plan on buying one, but the financial side and inconspicuous nature of the GR speak to me.

Have you had any experiences like that with the GR vs. X100?
yes, I've owned the X100 and X100s prior to getting the GR.
All 3 terrific cameras on their own way.

What I like on the X100/s are the OVf, size, look, f/2 and fuji colors.
35mm is the perfect focal length while travelling and if you wanted to shoot wider, you could use the conversion lens to bring it down to 28mm but for me it still wasn't wide enough.

When I was at the Grand Canyon/Monument Valley/Vegas in October, I had the X-Pro1, X100s and GR.
I was mostly using the X-Pro1 and GR but in reality I could have just lived with the GR. That's when I realized that the GR de-throned the X100s for me and it was time to let it go.

Old 01-03-2014   #11
N.delaRua

That is what I am thinking. I think I like the 35 mm FOV more, but 28 is not that far off, maybe like two to three physical steps of zoomig with my feet.

The GR is just sooo small, and I feel I hand it to someone while traveling, and they could take my picture without having to explain anything. Point, press button and say thank you.

I'am planning on traveling to europe soon, and I want an X100s, but I just think the GR might be the trick. My gf could use it right away as well without any learning curve.

Old 01-03-2014   #12
macfiend

I noticed that when I would be out shooting with the X100, people noticed me taking their picture. It was a lot harder to be inconspicuous. With the Ricoh, I have yet to be noticed, especially up close and I shoot quite a bit with it. Sometimes I think people perceive it as a toy and never give it a second look.

I also think the GR does a better job with representing color and white balance than the X100 (or at least my X100).

I enjoy shooting B&W with it as much as when I shoot film.

The X100 was a great camera with all it offers but at the end of the day for me, the Ricoh simply fit my needs in ways that the X100 could not.

http://jsfotographic.tumblr.com/

Old 01-03-2014   #13
taemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.delaRua View Post
That is what I am thinking. I think I like the 35 mm FOV more, but 28 is not that far off, maybe like two to three physical steps of zoomig with my feet.

The GR is just sooo small, and I feel I hand it to someone while traveling, and they could take my picture without having to explain anything. Point, press button and say thank you.

I'am planning on traveling to europe soon, and I want an X100s, but I just think the GR might be the trick. My gf could use it right away as well without any learning curve.
I configured the Fn1 button on the GR to change AF/snap.
That way I can quickly change it when giving to someone.
But if you like shooting with shallow DoF, the X100/s is better with 35mm and f/2 vs 28mm and f/2.8

If I didn't buy an optical VF on the GR, I don't think I would have liked it as much though.
And the GW3 is one big heavy conversion lens, which is why I don't use it unless for landscape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfiend View Post
I noticed that when I would be out shooting with the X100, people noticed me taking their picture. It was a lot harder to be inconspicuous. With the Ricoh, I have yet to be noticed, especially up close and I shoot quite a bit with it. Sometimes I think people perceive it as a toy and never give it a second look.

I also think the GR does a better job with representing color and white balance than the X100 (or at least my X100).

I enjoy shooting B&W with it as much as when I shoot film.

The X100 was a great camera with all it offers but at the end of the day for me, the Ricoh simply fit my needs in ways that the X100 could not.
yeah, while it doesn't bother me as much I don't like how you see the aperture blade moving on the X100s lens when shooting.
The GR just looks like a P&S

Old 01-04-2014   #14
nightfly

Have to say I think I like the older, smaller sensor GR's for street shooting just because of the grittier look of the output although David Manning does a great job getting that with whatever is in his hand.

As GRD3 user not sure I'd make the leap just yet.

Also you can set the camera up for auto focus on the half push and SNAP mode on the full push which is generally how I use it. No need to toggle between AF/SNAP.

Love using an external finder and having the screen off. Just wish I could get the screen to turn on when I adjust aperture with the wheel on front for confirmation and then go off right away. Not sure if this is possible.

Old 01-04-2014   #15
David_Manning

Thanks everyone.

I've had and shot versions of all those cameras...X-Pro 1, X100, other compacts. The GR takes the cake.

I'm leaving this afternoon for Paris for three days, all I'm taking is the GR. It's like having a Fuji X-Pro 1 with 18mm in your jacket pocket, only faster in operation (and the Ricoh 18mm is a better lens!). Paris streets are great for close photography, so 28mm FoV won't limit me. Oh...and two extra batteries!!!

Old 01-04-2014   #16
louisb

I completely agree with you. Since getting mine in early October I have nothing but good things to say about the camera.

Shot with the GW3 wide-angle adapter.

Old 01-07-2014   #17
David_Manning

I just returned from Paris with the GR, and it was absolutely the right camera...I felt invisible with it. Near the usual tourist areas, a different camera would've been fine, but get two blocks away from Sacre Couer for instance, and the GR would've been Atget's choice for the street!

Last edited by David_Manning : 01-07-2014 at 07:02. Reason: spelling

Old 01-07-2014   #18
taemo

^good to know david!
please feel free to share some of the shots here.
out of curiosity but were there times you wished you had a different camera with you, ie different focal length?
The GR is perfect for 80% of my shots, the only reason I can't let go of the M9 is for those times that I need a longer focal length.. 50mm and 90mm.
Right now though I'm thinking of GR + M3 w/ 90mm or FM2 w/ 135mm combo

Old 01-07-2014   #19
Gary Sandhu

Yes! Had the x100s and sold it and kept the GR. In addition to the size,I prefer the 28 POV and found the GR design (buttons, ergonomics) superior.
I would like the face recognition to work on the PASM modes rather than just auto.
Adding a viewfinder makes me miss the x100s' OVF not so much.
I didn't find the focus speed to be much different.

Old 01-07-2014   #20
David_Manning

I think being at traditional tourist spots, like the Eiffel Tower, Sacre Couer, Trocadero, etc. my M9 and a 35 or even 50 would've been ok, maybe preferable, especially with so many other cameras around. However, once I got on the metro, or just walking the streets, the GR is the way to go. I think the 28 FoV is about right for close/narrow cities, and it's oh so compact and unassuming. And, it just slipped into a jacket pocket. Two little extra batteries in the other pocket, and I was out the door. Very different experience than the usual bag full of gear, even if it's an M body and lenses. Plus, the GR disappears in my hand, so I can carry it and walk with it out all the time, a huge advantage when shooting freely.

Old 01-07-2014   #21
David_Manning

Some shots coming shortly. I have to upload the cards still...got in at midnight last night.

Old 01-07-2014   #22
stompyq

Quote:
Originally Posted by taemo View Post
^good to know david!
please feel free to share some of the shots here.
out of curiosity but were there times you wished you had a different camera with you, ie different focal length?
The GR is perfect for 80% of my shots, the only reason I can't let go of the M9 is for those times that I need a longer focal length.. 50mm and 90mm.
Right now though I'm thinking of GR + M3 w/ 90mm or FM2 w/ 135mm combo
Funny that you say that. My preferred combo these days is Ricoh GR and my Rolleiflex 2.8E or Pentax 6x7. The Ricoh does everything except when I want to make portraits when the Rolleiflex or Pentax comes out.

Old 01-07-2014   #23
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Great little camera.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=997...0&q=Ricoh%20GR

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 01-07-2014   #24
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisb View Post
I completely agree with you. Since getting mine in early October I have nothing but good things to say about the camera.

Shot with the GW3 wide-angle adapter.

Love this shot..

Gary

Old 01-07-2014   #25
David_Manning

Well, I'm a Moriyama and Anders Petersen fan, so my output resembles their look. It's difficult to NOT shoot cliché in Paris. Earl, I totally agree with you about the GR...fantastic camera. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I'll post a few from Paris yesterday and the day before. The GR shoots the way I want to shoot, and that's what it's all about.

Old 01-07-2014   #26
taemo

David, no worries, those are some amazing shots resembling Moriyama's high contrast style.
The 2 portraits shots, were they taken with the built in flash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
Funny that you say that. My preferred combo these days is Ricoh GR and my Rolleiflex 2.8E or Pentax 6x7. The Ricoh does everything except when I want to make portraits when the Rolleiflex or Pentax comes out.
I'm seriously thinking of using the GR as my only digital camera while travelling. Have the 645NII for large prints and maybe the Xpan w/ 45mm and 90mm as 35mm camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbg32 View Post
some great close portrait shots, looks like NYC?

Old 01-07-2014   #27
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Yes, taemo, it is New York City. Thanks!

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 01-07-2014   #28
David_Manning

Yep...all built-in flash.

Old 01-07-2014   #29
johnwolf

I have not used the flash at all, but it looks like a great idea. Thanks.

Lately I've been using the AF focus point adjust a lot. It's set to my Effect button. I quickly preset the focus point and walk right up to people. It looks like I'm aiming past them.

John

Old 01-08-2014   #30
Chrisrw
photomonkey

Beautiful shots everyone. Makes me glad I kept my GRDIV. I am using the DP2M now as well and I think its a keeper, so any move for the GR is a ways off. But these pics are tempting me...

Old 01-09-2014   #31
cidereye
Film Freak

Been using the GR series since the film versions and every time I have some stupid moment of madness and sell one I always end up re-buying one a short time later. There is simply no other camera like it and Ricoh just get that, snap focus alone is a massive reason for buying any GR or GX, GXR camera.

Sold my M6 recently to get an M9 and I really am regretting that move, not that the M9 is not a great camera but as a number have hinted on this thread maybe the Ricoh GR is ALL the digital camera you'll need so long as you don't need telephoto capabilities.

I'm starting to feel after many years that using a conventional camera with viewfinder for street stuff has had it's day as so many people are uber concious when out and about. The GR with it's 21mm, 28mm, 35mm AND 47mm capabilities is pretty hard to beat for the ultimate invisible street camera.

Old 01-09-2014   #32
gilpen123
Gil

Feast of the Black Nazarene, yearly procession of the Black Nazarene attracting 10-12M people which normally lasts up to 20+hours on a roughly 10 kilometer route. This is the single largest congregation of people in Manila. Jan. 9, 2014, GR Digital.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Old 01-09-2014   #33
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidereye View Post
I'm starting to feel after many years that using a conventional camera with viewfinder for street stuff has had it's day as so many people are uber concious when out and about. The GR with it's 21mm, 28mm, 35mm AND 47mm capabilities is pretty hard to beat for the ultimate invisible street camera.

I`d have to agree with that.

Old 01-09-2014   #34
cidereye
Film Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post
I`d have to agree with that.
I wish I was wrong Michael, I love using RF's but it's getting harder and harder in the UK that's for sure.

Old 01-09-2014   #35
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidereye View Post
I wish I was wrong Michael, I love using RF's but it's getting harder and harder in the UK that's for sure.

Me too.... and yes it is.
I just use them for other things.
I use the GR V on TAv and just let the ISO ride.
In that way I can be more generous setting aperture or shutter speed .

Old 01-09-2014   #36
Michael Markey

Old 01-09-2014   #37
Michael Markey

Old 01-09-2014   #38
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sejanus.Aelianus View Post
You know, Michael, when they spoke about "cowboys" in Lancashire, I always thought they were being rude about the local builders...

I think he is a builder

Old 01-09-2014   #39
helenhill
a Click in Time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post
Wonderful ... Yummy Good, Ride em Cowboy !

A Lover of Leica M's...

Old 01-09-2014   #40
Michael Markey

Thank you Helen.