Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Sony Alpha 7 / NEX Mirrorless > Sony RX Series

Old 08-22-2013   #41
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murchu View Post
To me, it seems a bit of a trophy camera, just like super speed lenses are trophy lenses for manufacturers. Something for Sony to beat its chest about, and roar out loud to other camera makers about. That's not to say its without its market, just that its a very small market, and an offering Sony probably makes a loss on overall. Of course, there is great value to Sony's reputation as a camera maker, something that is intangible but no doubt of invaluable benefit when it comes to selling Sony and its non-trophy camera wares to photographers.
Trophy camera maybe... But at end of the day if that is all it is there are going to be some directors and product line managers that are going to fired if that so called trophy camera does not break even at minimum or that they can prove that the camera has brought pull thru sales.

Someone had to get up there and show profit projections that made some sense.

Gary

Old 08-22-2013   #42
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Sony FF fixed-fixed lens P&S was wrong marketing decision at this price, IMO. But even if it is $1K, I don't need this very limited solution.

It looks like Fuji made right marketing choice with croppers fleet of X cameras.
If they make FF interchangeable lens body now, they will lose a lot more of profit from people who would re-use their old glass, or buy it used under low price, like old Fuji lens, or buy high-end Leica, Zeiss glass instead, but not Fuji glass, which is designed for croppers.

Most of manufactures are facing it. Make FF and no glass for it - not so much profit, or make FF glass with AF, but why, if they invested into crop format lenses manufacturing.

Same consumer market manufactures selling millions of P&S with very small sensors, with pictures which are far from to be good for large screen, but perfect to be twitted and FB or shared at Flickr, RFF and so on at 800 pixels size.
Those are nice, functioning, reasonably priced cameras.

If someone wants better IQ compared to their most common PS, they are more than happy to get cropper like X, G, NEX and so on. And pictures are better for larger size.

Here is no market for FF compact to be profitable, IMO.

Old 08-22-2013   #43
GaryLH

This is why I think Fuji is smart to sit back and watch how Sony does in ff ilc.

Being first to market is only good if u got a good product.. A half baked one only looses customers. Coming in late but w/ a well fleshed out product can be better at times. Prime example is iPod was a good three years or more later to the market compared to the first music players released.

A ff p&s is debatable in terms of wrong or right. There had to have been some very good marketing analysis to have someone give the green light to it. But most definitely, given the price and everything, it was targeted to a small market segment.

Gary

Old 08-22-2013   #44
back alley
IMAGES

i think the market for the rx1 is those shooters who would want a leica digital and only ever use a 35 on it...maybe with a 50 as a back up.
a limited market for sure but a real one.

xe2...xe1...16...23...27...56...55-200

original canon F1...T90...24/2.8...100/2.8...200/2.8...300/5.6

as too overpriced .....
Old 08-22-2013   #45
djonesii

as too overpriced .....

From all I have seen, it's priced pretty close to right ...

The used ones are floating in at $2200

A refurb D600 is 1600, add a 35 F2 for $300, and you are in the same ball park, but the 35 F2 is no match for the Sony lens. Add a refurb 28mm 1.8 and the price is near on the same.

Now it's down to preference, PnS, or DSLR?? As the English say horses for courses ....

When stripped of the "Use Case" the hardware pricing is in line with a reasonable expectation.

Dave

Old 08-22-2013   #46
f16sunshine

Sony is supposedly bringing an SLR styled mirror less camera (ala Panny GH3).

Although initially it's to be an entry level model….If that ever turns into a FF model I might be interested.

All the Sony mirror less models to date are to damn Slippery in my opinion.
A slightly larger model with "traditional" styled controls would be great.
Imagine a GH3 with a Full Frame Sensor and M mount compatibility.
The Ergonomics of that model (Panny GHx) is very very good.

Smaller is not always better. Not everyone is street/stealth shooter.
When I work I need a camera that I can hold on to whether it's with a small 35mm/50mm or a 180mm/300mm.

The RX1 is cool because of it's great lens and IQ. In use I just can't see (or feel) it's a ideal or even practical package.

Last edited by f16sunshine : 08-22-2013 at 11:26. Reason: spelling

Old 08-22-2013   #47
GaryLH

Slippery

Reason that companies like real right stuff can sell grips.

Gary

Old 08-22-2013   #48
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i think the market for the rx1 is those shooters who would want a leica digital and only ever use a 35 on it...maybe with a 50 as a back up.
a limited market for sure but a real one.
Add Sony fanatics to this. Where are same kind of Sony consumers, similar to those who in stack with Leica. They think it must be Sony only. But still, small market.

Old 08-22-2013   #49
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLH View Post
Slippery

Reason that companies like real right stuff can sell grips.

Gary

That's fair actually. I fondled one (RX1) at the shop without a grip and, I should say I'm a person who uses grips and half cases with a wrist strap.
Tiny cramped little cameras for big long fingers is a real issue.
Especially as my hands become more arthritic over the years.
It's just nice to have more space to work when using a serious camera.
The x100 is as small as I can go. The lay out on that camera is perfect considering it's tiny size (comparatively tiny ).

Old 08-22-2013   #50
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post

Tiny cramped little cameras for big long fingers is a real issue.
Especially as my hands become more arthritic over the years.
).
Yep getting there myself. Not too bad yet. I have rss grip on my x100 as well though. For the mass as well as making it easier to hold.

I put a franeic grip on my rx100. That is way too slippery without it.

Gary

Old 08-22-2013   #51
mbisc
Silver Halide User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by majid View Post
[*]The Fuji lens does not exhibit the severe barrel distortion of the RX1's Sonnar.
Really? I don't own an RX1, but when it was first announced it struck me as a digital version of my Contax T3 (which most certainly does not have "sever barrel distortion," nor do any of my other Carl Zeiss wide angle lenses...)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is too short for cheap film

Flickr
----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by mbisc : 08-22-2013 at 12:26. Reason: typo

Old 08-22-2013   #52
Addy101

If the logo on the camera would have said Nikon instead of Sony, a lot more people here would have loved it. It partly is just dislike of Sony it seems.....

If you look around the internet you will find enough working professional photographers using it. The price seems right as a DSLR with a quality 35mm lens is about the same price. People who used it say the build quality is superb. And we all have seen the pictures :-D

I would love one, but €2500,- for a hobby is a bit steep....

Old 08-22-2013   #53
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbisc View Post
Really? I don't own an RX1, but when it was first announced it struck me as a digital version of my Contax T3 (which most certainly does not have "sever barrel distortion," nor do any of my other Carl Zeiss wide angle lenses...)
The design parameters for a digital lens are not the same as for a film lens.

Correcting aberrations always involves trade-offs. Push here, something sticks out there. Correct them all and you may end up with a lens that is big and heavy, or that requires such tight tolerances that it cannot be manufactured at a feasible price.

In digital, geometric distortion is one of the easiest aberrations to correct during RAW conversion, and by loosening that constraint, other parameters can be optimized. For this reason many quite good digital lenses have significant barrel distortion (e.g., Panasonic 20/1.7). The penalty is some loss of resolution in the peripheral zones of the image.

In Fuji's case, the extremely light and compact 18/2 has a lot of intrinsic barrel distortion, which is corrected in RAW development. The heavier, bulkier, more expensive, slower 12/2.8 has almost none. I'm expecting/hoping the 23/1.4 will be more like the 12mm: a lens optimized for no-compromise performance on the XTRANS sensor, even if at some cost in size, weight, and price.

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/

Old 08-22-2013   #54
Eric T

The price isn't too bad compared to a single Leica 35mm Summicron or Summilux lens.
Full frame just doesn't provide a great advantage anymore.
And I am no longer enamored by traditional Bayer sensors. Fuji taught me that with the x-trans sensor. Now I use mostly Sigma foveon X3. I can't wait to see the next generation of the foveon sensor and Sigma cameras. Faster image transfer and higher ISO in color are the next improvement needed.
Meanwhile - what is Apple doing? I am expecting big photo ideas from them in the next year or two.

Old 08-22-2013   #55
GaryLH

+1 sort of

I mainly agree. I still think there is a place for Bayer but only because it is in a camera type/style I can't get from fuji or sigma. Like Eric, I mainly shoot w/ fuji and sigma cameras. Where I still use Bayer sensor cameras are
- pocketable p&s like rx100 or gr
- omd for tele work because no one has as good of ibis as they do
- ricoh gxr m module - outside of Leica no one supports rf lenses as well
Several camera makers in last couple of years have patents on foveon style sensors, fuji along w/ Panasonic are working on the organic sensor. Interesting times. If your shooting style does use razor thin dof for subject isolation or super high iso or looking for a ff alternative for your Leica rf lenses, ff is not as big of a deal as it used to be IMHO.

Gary

Old 08-22-2013   #56
aeturnum

I rented an RX1 after my XPro-1 was stolen. It's a great camera (is it even possible to buy a bad camera these days?), but I did not buy one of my own for a variety of reasons:
  • Completely subjective, but I don't like the "look" from sony sensors on high ISO.
  • The lens is f/2, which loses you a stop, though the fuji x-series doesn't closely follow the ISO standard, but you still get a bit more light.
  • I don't really like the form factor. It was small enough that holding it was fairly awkward.
  • For the price, it was not very versatile. I love 35mm, but I like some 50mm in there as well. Same reason I sold my M9.
  • I really disliked where the EVF was placed, using it felt awkward. I may have been able to just use the rear screen because of how small the camera is, but due to the other points against it I decided not to.
There were some features I quite liked - sony's focus peaking is fantastic, the responsiveness is excellent. It really is tiny with great image quality.

Old 08-22-2013   #57
rolfe

No question a bigger sensor is better -- the question is how much bigger and how much better?

The EOS-M with an APS-C sensor at $299.00 with lens seemed like a great price. It is the same electronics that are in the 7D. Is the Sony that much "better" or any "better"? With an APS-C sensor, you can already do high ISO and throw backgrounds out of focus, etc. I can put almost any lens, including any of my Leica M mount lenses on the EOS-M. With the Canon adapter, you can use any EOS compatible lens. Is there a similar Sony solution?

Old 08-22-2013   #58
hausen

Think there is certainly some Sony snobbery. If Leica had the technical know how to produce this camera it would be three times the price.

Far too many cameras & lenses!

Old 08-23-2013   #59
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hausen View Post
Think there is certainly some Sony snobbery. If Leica had the technical know how to produce this camera it would be three times the price.
Do you really think Leica would charge $8400 for this when its own M 240 is $7000?

nex ?
Old 08-23-2013   #60
Michalm

nex ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfe View Post
No question a bigger sensor is better -- the question is how much bigger and how much better?

The EOS-M with an APS-C sensor at $299.00 with lens seemed like a great price. It is the same electronics that are in the 7D. Is the Sony that much "better" or any "better"? With an APS-C sensor, you can already do high ISO and throw backgrounds out of focus, etc. I can put almost any lens, including any of my Leica M mount lenses on the EOS-M. With the Canon adapter, you can use any EOS compatible lens. Is there a similar Sony solution?
Nex is the answer.

Old 08-23-2013   #61
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michalm View Post
Nex is the answer.
That depends. If u are going to shy away from the rx1 because of price, the rumored ff Nex body is rumored to be around 3k.. However even if it is 3k, given Sony propensity for pushing a new camera body's out every year.. I suspect it will not stay at 3k for very long.

And then there are those who just are going to buy it to say I'm the first on my block, u will c those camera bodies on the used market fairly quick

Anyway I am in the group of ff is not for everybody. For those of u that want it, it looks like Sony is pushing the ff csc path pretty hard.

Enjoy
Gary

Ps.. Given the rumors of special work to get Zeiss new lenses working w/ the new ff and all the extra work that Leica had to do to support all their lenses w/ the micro lenses, I agree w/ semilog, don't expect all the legacy rf lenses to work as expected in terms of overall iq, but those that plan to use legacy slr lenses should be ok.

Last edited by GaryLH : 08-23-2013 at 12:32. Reason: Ps

Old 08-28-2013   #62
majid
Fazal Majid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbisc View Post
I have the X100S, RX1 and the T3 as well, and have longed for a digital equivalent of the T3. The RX1 is closer in size to a CLE than a T3.

The T3 has a 35mm f/2.8 Sonnar with 6 elements in 4 groups. The RX1 has a a 35mm f/2 Sonnar with 8 elements in 7 groups, including 3 aspherical elements. Very different beasts, despite the same Sonnar family name.

The RX1 is the first camera/lens combo I've ever used where the distortion is so visible that it is noticeable even for normal pictorial scenes, not just architectural photography. DPReview/DXO rate it at 1.9%:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony...hot-dsc-rx1/11
From some old datasheets on the T3's Sonnar, its short-edge distortion is around 0.4% and is pincushion type in any case

I'm not sure why they under-corrected distortion. Surely they can't be expecting all users of an advanced camera like this to be in a JPEG-only workflow with in-camera software correction baked in?

Old 08-22-2014   #63
f16sunshine

Here we are a year after this thread was started. Does anyone have any further thought s to add?
I'm considering a trial run with the RX1 as a daily carry.
I've been enjoying the Ricoh GR but for the fact it's a bit wide for me.
Loved the X100 and will likely go back there after another iteration is reeled (hoping for a FF 35mm or a 50mm equiv apsc x200 model.)

The Sony is still interesting or.... Comments, Warnings?

Old 08-22-2014   #64
GaryLH

If I remember correctly the rx1 is thick enough that it would be hard to carry in a front pocket like the Ricoh gr. So I am assuming size is not any issue (since u mention x200) but form factor and weight are? The reason I ask it this way is if ff is one of the criteria, why not Sony a7 w/ the 35f2.8?

Given photokina is only around the corner.. Though u may c more interesting things to wet your appetite

Gary

Old 08-22-2014   #65
f16sunshine

Size is not a major concern.
The GR reigns currently by accident. I got it on trade and then let the x100 go in a moment of feeling guilty and gluttonous.
Size was not a concern. A hexar af or M5/40 take the film role here (or a tlr.
I have an xpro and 35mm but carry that more deliberately than a daily carry (projects rather than journal).
What I would like right now is a fixed focal length that gives me a bit more dof isolation in a digital package.
The sony is interesting because I may be able to trade for one in a win/win for both parties.
It seems like a great tool for my day bag.
Definitely worth a try. I'm mostly worried it could be a brick if service is required (even little things like sensor dust).

Please pardon my typos on mobile riding shotgun atm

Old 08-22-2014   #66
MikeAUS

Quote:
Sony RX1 is a different machine to GR. The GR is portable and light and takes good photos. The RX1 is larger, much better built, with an amazing lens and sensor combination. See my Flickr for RX1 samples ... Also, the price of RX1 secnd hand is down now with A7s and potential RX1s on the way - so you can save $ - only problem is auto focus is very hit and miss - when it hits

Old 08-22-2014   #67
GaryLH

Even the Ricoh gxr lensor like the a12 50 or a12 28 had dust bunnies eventually .. I have hear complain about it before. Knock on would.. My old Fuji x100 still has not gotten any yet and it was one from the first batch to hit the west coast.

Gary

Old 08-22-2014   #68
nongfuspring

Interesting camera, but considering the price of the a7 it still seems expensive and very "first gen" - you can get a new a7 and the zeiss 35 2.8 or a 5dii + lens for around the price of a second hand rx1, but with the bonus of better ergonomics, usability, and a good built in EVF/OVF. Then there's the fujinon 23mm 1.4 for your xpro, foevons, etc etc. I had a think about the rx1 recently, but I just can't validate it.

I think I'd definitely wait until after photokina.

Old 08-22-2014   #69
jsrockit

For me... the body was too small, the lens too big, and no internal VF. Also, too much cash. It's one of the rare cameras where I felt the body was too small. Once the A7 came out, it made more sense for me to go that route.

Old 08-22-2014   #70
jsrockit

Quote:
How about the Leica X2?

Old 08-22-2014   #71
agfa100

I picked up a used one a couple of months ago and use it with my old Leica 35mm OVF, I am a old Leica M film shooter that mostly used a 35mm summicron so I am right at home with the RX-1. I have a grip on mine and it just works, save some coin and pick up a used one you will not lose any $$ if you don't like it. The pictures speak for the camera I love mine.
wbill

Old 08-22-2014   #72
YYV_146

Quote:
Here we are a year after this thread was started. Does anyone have any further thought s to add?
Loved the X100 and will likely go back there after another iteration is reeled (hoping for a FF 35mm or a 50mm equiv apsc x200 model.)

The Sony is still interesting or.... Comments, Warnings?
Point still stands. The RX1(R) is still the only FF compact on the market. But lack of controls, grip, weight distribution, etc. It deserves a good look as a backup camera, considering how much prices have gone down, but with its own (I would say serious) limitations.

If it's any help, I am led to believe that Sony has an RX2 with a curved sensor hot in the works. Possibly 2014 entry, and certainly before Q2 2015. Still 35mm, though - but a f1.8 or f1.4 design.

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 08-22-2014   #73
MikeAUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nongfuspring View Post
Interesting camera, but considering the price of the a7 it still seems expensive and very "first gen" - you can get a new a7 and the zeiss 35 2.8 or a 5dii + lens for around the price of a second hand rx1, but with the bonus of better ergonomics, usability, and a good built in EVF/OVF. Then there's the fujinon 23mm 1.4 for your xpro, foevons, etc etc. I had a think about the rx1 recently, but I just can't validate it.

I think I'd definitely wait until after photokina.
A7 has loud shutter, 5dii is big and heavy and loud shutter plus with lens is expensive. Fuji X-Trans is troublesome in RAW and build quality is inferior - foveons can't focus or operate in normal light conditions. Sony RX1 second hand is a good option - silent and of the highest build and picture quality. Now if you have more $$ to spend then A7s or wait for the new RX1s. Just my take

Old 08-22-2014   #74
Aristophanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYV_146 View Post
I played around with one a few weeks ago during a local photographer party. IQ is excellent, better than a D600/35 1.4G combo and certainly better than an X-e1 with the fuji 35 1.4.

But everything else just feels...awkward. First of all there's no grip, and the lens is much heavier than the usual compact. A firm grip is impossible without a thumbie, but if you want the thumbs up, you'll have to ditch the plug-in EVF. Then there's the controls, fine for me but a steep learning curve for anyone who hasn't used Sony cameras before.

I say this as a die-hard Sony fan: They need to make an RX2 with more controls, at least 2-3 customization body dials, built-in EVF and accessory grip.
A built-in EVF and it would no long be a compact. The moment they start adding such bulk is when they start making a bridge camera with a zoom.

Old 08-22-2014   #75
nongfuspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAUS View Post
A7 has loud shutter, 5dii is big and heavy and loud shutter plus with lens is expensive. Fuji X-Trans is troublesome in RAW and build quality is inferior - foveons can't focus or operate in normal light conditions. Sony RX1 second hand is a good option - silent and of the highest build and picture quality. Now if you have more $$ to spend then A7s or wait for the new RX1s. Just my take
f16sunshine mentioned that size wasn't a major concern, so I mentioned the 5dii, which second hand still can be had cheaper than the rx1 - even with a 35 f2 lens. The rx1 was very expensive in the beginning has really held its value.

It's true the leaf shutter makes the camera pretty unique, but perhaps that's its only strong point.

Old 08-22-2014   #76
jsrockit

Quote:

It's true the leaf shutter makes the camera pretty unique, but perhaps that's its only strong point.
Agreed....

Old 08-22-2014   #77
Lss

Quote:
Leaf shutter is a huge bonus, but the real strong point remains state-of-the-art image quality in a small package. Other than that it is a mediocre point-and-shoot camera in my opinion.

Overall I'm happy with my RX1R, which I have now used for about 10 months or so alongside the Leica M8. It is the first compact that provides a significant and consistent image quality improvement over the M8. But I would not have paid full retail for it.

Old 08-22-2014   #78
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAUS View Post
Sony RX1 second hand is a good option - silent and of the highest build and picture quality.
You know, build quality is certainly one thing were the camera fell short in my use/experience. The camera feels solid and extremely well made, but the MF ring on mine could not quite take traveling in the same bag with my M8. It simply bent one day on a short walk! It's not just a cosmetic issue either, the MF is affected. Just a few days ago I also had some AF motor issues (error 61) on it. One sample never tells you much, but my problem-free M8 certainly has been far superior in reliability.

Old 08-22-2014   #79
YYV_146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
A built-in EVF and it would no long be a compact. The moment they start adding such bulk is when they start making a bridge camera with a zoom.
If they can fit a built-in EVF in the petite body of the RX100 mkIII, I'm sure Sony can manage a EVF in an RX2 or 3....Maybe a low-res one, but I'd love too see it happen.

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 08-22-2014   #80
f16sunshine

Hey thanks for all the comments everyone. Mike AUS I checked out your McLovin 2.0 flickriver Lots of great images. You're a great street photographer!!
Many of those I found under the Sony RX1 Tag are convincing enough for m.
You use an Optical VF is that right? I would use a shoe mount OVF if it works well enough for focus re-compose method using half a shutter push.
Is that a workable workflow?

I know Fotokina is coming but frankly that does not mean anything to me. I get exceited about the new cameras like everyone else but... I almost never adopt until a year or so has past.
Like the Sony RX1. I'm trading for one if things work out. The trade value will be half the as new price. I can live with that.

A bit larger but I bet it's going to be fine. I'll report more here if it works out.
Anyone usinag an Optical finder and traditional focus re-compose method I would love to hear how well or poorly it works.
I have no intention of adding an EVF or any other accesory than a grip or half case for extra grip.
Oh shades. Anyone using the 49mm Pentax limited shade like I have intsalled here on the Fuji X100?
No Vignetting problem on the x100. Hoping to use it on the Sony as well.

X100 Lens Shade solution by Adnan W, on Flickr
Cheers!