Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica Q / T / X Series

Leica Q / T / X Series For the Leica Q, T, X series digital cameras

Again on the X Vario
Old 06-24-2013   #1
giellaleafapmu

Again on the X Vario

Just a few days ago there was long thread about how bad this was and I wrote that I didn't like it...on paper, but that I would have been interested in seeing it in person because I always have nice surprices when I see "bad Leicas". Well, it seems that Mr Tuck had the same experience, just look at his blog:

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com...judgement.html

I am now more curious, even tough really I don't think I have some spare 2,700 US$ for a pocket camera with a slow zoom.

GLF

Old 06-24-2013   #2
DNG
Film Friendly

It does have a port for an EVF in the last photo
and, I hear it does deliver great IQ.... so the slowish lens may be a moot subject if the high ISO delivers also.
Nikon: F2, FM2n, EM, Konica FS-1, Fuji X100T
Nikkor: 24mm f/2.8 Ais, 28mm f/3.5 Ai, 50mm f/1.4 N/Ai
Hexanon: 40mm f/1.8 AR, 57mm f/1.2 AR

Q at
Old 05-28-2016   #3
richard_l

Q at

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNG View Post
It does have a port for an EVF in the last photo
and, I hear it does deliver great IQ.... so the slowish lens may be a moot subject if the high ISO delivers also.
I looked at a large amount of online photos and information on the X Vario, and I finally decided to purchase one. The IQ is indeed excellent, as is the higher ISO performance, which to a large extent compensates for the slow lens. I use it with an Olympus EVF.

Leica's design philosophy seems to have been to produce a zoom with great IQ at all focal lengths without being too large. However, it is by no stretch of the imagination a "pocket camera" as the OP stated. Also, by now the price has dropped significantly.

Old 05-29-2016   #4
richard_l

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
I tried one in a store and liked it... Crazy I know, but the Zoom was Fun
The Files were Lovely
The body a tad awkward since the lens is fat
Thinking about adding it to my X2

I am enjoying 'seeing' the World differently with the Use of Compact Digi's
I don't mind the lens bulk because, as with my M2, M6, and FM2n, it seems natural to support the camera with my left hand under the lens, where (on the Vario) it controls focus and focal length. It consequently feels more like a "real" camera than a compact point-and-shoot.

Old 05-29-2016   #5
richard_l

The first image is a macro of a small cabochon (about 1.25 in. long) taken at 70mm focal length, the second is at 28mm.

X-Vario Pictures
Old 06-05-2016   #6
gbealnz

X-Vario Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Richard,
Please post a photo or two
From the XVario
Helen,
If you haven't already done so, check out the X-Vario pictures thread on the Leica Users Forum. Some excellent shots there.
I love mine.
Gary

Old 06-06-2016   #7
gbealnz

Good on ya Helen, and post some pics there too, it's a nice area to share X-V shots, as well there is an X2 (and X1) section. No X2 for me, but I do post my X1 and X-Vario shots there at times.

Excellent camera the X-Vario, very very under-rated as most that actually try one finally find out. I carried mine throughout a Europe trip last year, alongside my M6 and found both to be a happy mix.
Gary

Old 06-06-2016   #8
zleica

I am also a very happy user of the X Vario. Leica did an excellent job on the lens. For me it's a perfect companion for the Monochrom or M6 if you are still using films.

Old 06-08-2016   #9
richard_l

I am delighted with the IQ, versatility, and manual "feel" of the XV. Pair it with an M6 and a good 50mm and 90mm lens, and all my photographic needs would be pretty well covered.

Old 06-08-2016   #10
SaveKodak

The camera was poorly received because just delivering a great, slow lens isn't that big of an achievement. Fuji, Sony, even Olympus M4/3rds cameras were delivering 'great IQ' at that time. The question was, why would anyone pay twice the cost of an NEX-7 (it's closest thing to a competitor) for pride of ownership? On some level that's always the question with some Leica products, but the X line as a whole has been playing catch up to Fuji since the X1, even though the X1 came first by a hair. Not saying you can't like the camera, not even saying there is specifically anything wrong with the thing if you accept it at face value. However, many, like myself, do not accept it at face value. The T has the same problem. If you accept it at face value it's a fine camera....but...(to paraphrase the old song) "anything the T can do [someone else] can do better." People were waiting for the Q, and Leica can't keep it in stock. If Leica would just have made a Q style APS-C camera, with Q performance, I imagine people would have had a similar reaction.

Old 06-08-2016   #11
richard_l

It's weird how I keep having these strange repetitive deja vu experiences when using RFF. Must be my imagination.