Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Sony Alpha 7 / NEX Mirrorless > Sony RX Series

Saw my first Sony RX1 Yesterday - A little rant
Old 06-14-2013   #1
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Saw my first Sony RX1 Yesterday - A little rant

I was headed home via the subway to pick up my son from his last day of pre-k. As I sat down I noticed a very, very young girl out of the corner of eye, with what I thought was a Leica around her neck. Once seated, I glanced up and saw the red ring around the lens where it meshes with the body and finally, RX1 emblazoned on the front. She could not have been older than 17 or 18. She saw I was looking at the camera and she unfolded her arms to make sure I had a good view of it. Lucky girl to have wealthy parents I thought.

When I was 18, I received my first "real" camera as a combined holiday, birthday present. A Minolta SRT101. Even in today's money, the price of that camera would nowhere approach the price of the RX1.

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 06-14-2013   #2
Archlich

Maybe finally be able to borrow the latest expensive toy from daddy for the weekend.

Just a tool after all.

Old 06-14-2013   #3
CliveC

At least it wasn't a Leica M9.

Old 06-14-2013   #4
FA Limited
planespotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbg32 View Post
When I was 18, I received my first "real" camera as a combined holiday, birthday present. A Minolta SRT101. Even in today's money, the price of that camera would nowhere approach the price of the RX1.
maybe she saved up all the money to buy it herself and since you got your camera for free she is more grateful for the camera than you were.

Old 06-14-2013   #5
segedi
RFicianado

I bet she uses it at least. And not as jewelry. Cool sighting in reality.

Segedi.com

Flickr

Twitter

Old 06-14-2013   #6
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

I have the same reaction when I see high school kids on their way to school in fairly new BMWs. [I'm going to stop here so as not to start up on one of my rants about wealth distribution around this wacky country of ours.]

Old 06-14-2013   #7
YYV_146

I saved up for my first DSLR, a canon 450d, when I was 16. Took me a few months and a weekend job.
By 18 I was teaching in a language school in Beijing full-time doing the summer, working 16-hour days for over $2500 a month. I now work 20 hours/week during school and 9-5 during the summer. All of the m lenses I own come this way, as well as my film and bodies.

Edit: I can't drink yet. Just commenting on the general negativity about young people these days, some of us actually work hard for our hobbies

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 06-14-2013   #8
Rayt

Sucks when other people are successful doesn't it?

Old 06-14-2013   #9
pakeha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
nah, not really. It all depends on HOW they became successful

Old 06-14-2013   #10
hausen

Is a Darling of a camera though. Off to Sydney for a few days so my Rx-1 and Xpan will be making the trip. Have never seen anyone else with an RX-1 here in NZ.

Far too many cameras & lenses!

Old 06-14-2013   #11
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
Success is not at all the issue.

Old 06-14-2013   #12
FA Limited
planespotting

then what is it? people aren't allowed to have certain cameras depending who they are?

Old 06-14-2013   #13
Harry Caul

Interesting thread in the context of another recent thread about how hopeful RFF parents can nudge (possibly more ) their kids towards their interest -- photography. I know if I had an RX1 as well as a responsible teenager that I would encourage them to take it for a spin as long as the respected it. As others have said, it is just a tool and being digital its going to be worth next to nothing in 10 years anyway, regardless of whether it picks up a scratch here or there along the way.

Old 06-14-2013   #14
Spicy

be mad when you see nice cameras in the green auto clown mode, or when people are making disposable-camera-quality pictures with insanely expensive kits.

as others have stated, it's never a good idea to make assumptions about who they are and how they get/pay for their gear.

either way, you should've asked to see some of her pictures -- if they were awful, you could extoll the virtues of education over succumbing to the marketing campaigns on absolutely needing the latest gear to have the potential at getting good results, lol.

Old 06-14-2013   #15
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalintrigue View Post
I had a Leica M3 at 18. So?

And my parents didn't pay for it.
did it cost 3k?

xt20...xe2...xe1...16...23...27...50...56...55-200

original canon F1...T90...24/2.8...100/2.8...200/2.8...300/5.6

Old 06-14-2013   #16
back alley
IMAGES

my first good camera was a oly 35rc...cost me 90 bucks in 1972!

and i still have it!

Old 06-14-2013   #17
YYV_146

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
did it cost 3k?
3k isn't THAT much these days. Say you earn $7 an hour after tax. 430 hours is a lot of time, but will a kid work longer for the camera of his/her dreams? Definitely.

I won't bet on it actually being paid for by the young lady, but even if it's a gift, an RX1 is much better than a Gucci handbag or designer sunglasses, at least it's a tool that requires innovation and experience on the user's side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
my first good camera was a oly 35rc...cost me 90 bucks in 1972!

and i still have it!
90 dollars in 1972 is over $500 in 2013 terms, inflation corrected. Probably worth more if weighted by other factors. Not RX1, but perhaps an RX100.

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 06-14-2013   #18
raphaelaaron

I saw this girl on Bleecker the other day. sweet young girl from appearance, and dangling around her neck was also a Sony RX1. She even had a leather half case fitted to it.

I wasn't angry, I was actually very impressed. I like when young people out there have nice cameras...

even if their pictures stink i feel if they're at least doing their best it's still pretty admirable.

Old 06-14-2013   #19
f16sunshine

I met one two days ago at the ballard locks. Looked smaller than I expected.

Old 06-14-2013   #20
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYV_146 View Post
3k isn't THAT much these days. Say you earn $7 an hour after tax. 430 hours is a lot of time, but will a kid work longer for the camera of his/her dreams? Definitely.

I won't bet on it actually being paid for by the young lady, but even if it's a gift, an RX1 is much better than a Gucci handbag or designer sunglasses, at least it's a tool that requires innovation and experience on the user's side.

90 dollars in 1972 is over $500 in 2013 terms, inflation corrected. Probably worth more if weighted by other factors. Not RX1, but perhaps an RX100.
i wonder where i got the money?

Old 06-14-2013   #21
CNNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveC View Post
At least it wasn't a Leica M9.
I was walking around my block two days ago to finish up a roll in my rolleicord. I asked these three teens sitting on a stairs if I could take a picture. Afterwards I was complimented on the camera, and one of the boys mentioned that he had an M9. We chatted, and he ended up asking me advice on whether to buy a summilux or a noctilux.

That image seems crazy to me too, but in the end it is just a camera. As long as he is out taking pictures with it, it is being put to good use. It is worse at that age to feel that your camera is too precious to use.
If his parents have too much money, that money is going to be spent on something, it may as well go to a nice camera.

Old 06-14-2013   #22
raphaelaaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNNY View Post
I was walking around my block two days ago to finish up a roll in my rolleicord. I asked these three teens sitting on a stairs if I could take a picture. Afterwards I was complimented on the camera, and one of the boys mentioned that he had an M9. We chatted, and he ended up asking me advice on whether to buy a summilux or a noctilux.
I like the fact that he asked your advice. I could just be looking into it way too much, but when I was younger the people I asked advice especially about lenses or something important like that I sought people who I thought had valuable advice. I'm glad to see he is getting into it.

What did you tell him?

Old 06-14-2013   #23
CNNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaelaaron View Post
What did you tell him?
I think I said the summilux is more practical.

Old 06-14-2013   #24
koven

She could be an amazing photographer so don't judge.

Old 06-14-2013   #25
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

I guess I feel better seeing young kids actually carrying, shooting, and learning with RX1 or M9 probably their parents bought them, than, say seeing some rich dude shooting some "interesting" still-life on street with gigantic DSLR gazillion frames per sec, but hey that's just me.

b/w guy.

flickr | RFF Gallery | Buy my prints on RFF Classifieds | Instagram | Portfolio

Old 06-14-2013   #26
dannybear

I think its unfair to assume somebody else purchased it for her, I'm a young guy and I pay my own rent, food, and utilities and would be able to find the funds if I really wanted something of that price purely from hard work and would probably appreciate it more than somebody working full time who buys all the M lenses to shoot test charts and then unloads them once they sit on a shelf for long enough.

Old 06-15-2013   #27
CK Dexter Haven

This is an interesting discussion.

1 / "Sucks when other people are successful doesn't it?"
More likely, it's a parent that is "successful."

2 / Someone calculated hourly wages and how long it would take to save to buy one. Which is sorta irrelevant because simply doing so sorta carries the implication that everything else in her world is being taken care of. If you can dedicate so much to a camera, you're not concerned about paying for school, rent, food, etc. So, whether she saved the dough or not, it's still likely she comes from 'means.'

3 / I wonder if there would be this level of speculation about her finances if it had been a Canon 5D, which actually costs more than an RX1.

4 / Isn't this more a comment on the perceived 'value' versus cost of a compact camera? It's judged as "luxury" or exorbitantly priced, not relative to other full frame cameras, but against 'pocket' P&S cameras.

5 / We all have different frames of reference. I remember a couple of years ago, seeing an article about Sean Combs buying his 16 year old son a Maybach. I thought that was disgusting. Even if you have a trillion dollars and the cost of that car has no impact on you whatsoever, it seemed like incredibly bad parenting, on a number of levels. But, hey — it's all relative. And, if you have a certain level of wealth, there may be no reason to teach a child the same lessons about responsibility and 'the value of a dollar' that might be necessary for a working class kid.

Old 06-15-2013   #28
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Dexter Haven View Post
I remember a couple of years ago, seeing an article about Sean Combs buying his 16 year old son a Maybach. I thought that was disgusting. Even if you have a trillion dollars and the cost of that car has no impact on you whatsoever, it seemed like incredibly bad parenting, on a number of levels.
Perhaps he wants his son to become a limo driver.

Old 06-15-2013   #29
Rodchenko
Olympian

At that age, when I could get work, I was being paid £2 per hour. Thanks, Thatch! My first camera came when I got a salaried job at 25 and went wild, spending £109 on a second hand OM-1. A posh camera would not even have been worth thinking about and, though my parents were comfortably off, they could never have bought me anything so posh.

However, it is heartening to see young people carrying and using 'serious' cameras, which is something I do see more and more. Including a rather chavvily dressed lass who was carefully composing her shots with a mid-range SLR, who I saw in Croydon last week.

Seeing teenagers with pointless bling, like overpowered cars, posh cameras they don't know what to do with etc etc is a bit dispiriting, though. Privilege is a cancer, and parents trying to buy love is a sad thing.

Old 06-15-2013   #30
Rodchenko
Olympian

Disclaimer: My middle son has a Canon 35mm SLR and a Minolta APS SLR, which I have bought him (about £30 in total), and my older son uses his mobile phone, which he has bought himself out of his earnings from his college job (in Currys). He sells digital cameras, but has very little interest in having one himself, and is completely baffled by the attraction of film.

Youngest son is five weeks old, and I am planning his first camera.

Old 06-15-2013   #31
louisb

I feel I am going to have to apologise for the rest of my life (or as long as I have it) for owning a RX-1.

Mind you, I am near the end of my sixth decade and still in secure, regular employment.

LouisB

Old 06-15-2013   #32
Rick Waldroup

I trotted out my new Lomo Oktomat the other day in downtown Dallas. I had more than one young lady point at me and laugh. I came home depressed.

Old 06-15-2013   #33
kendo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Waldroup View Post
I trotted out my new Lomo Oktomat the other day in downtown Dallas. I had more than one young lady point at me and laugh. I came home depressed.
You made my day, thank you!

Old 06-15-2013   #34
gavinlg

Any time I see a young person using a real camera it makes me happy. Too many instagram people out there.

Old 06-15-2013   #35
EdwardKaraa

So what exactly is the purpose of this thread? Serious question.

Old 06-15-2013   #36
haempe
negative guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardKaraa View Post
So what exactly is the purpose of this thread? Serious question.
We comfort each other because we cannot afford a RX1.

Old 06-15-2013   #37
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNNY View Post
Afterwards I was complimented on the camera, and one of the boys mentioned that he had an M9. We chatted, and he ended up asking me advice on whether to buy a summilux or a noctilux.

That image seems crazy to me too, but in the end it is just a camera. As long as he is out taking pictures with it, it is being put to good use. It is worse at that age to feel that your camera is too precious to use.
If his parents have too much money, that money is going to be spent on something, it may as well go to a nice camera.
I feel the same exact way. We have to remember that, to some, buying a M9 is like many of us buying a Pentax K1000 off eBay. If you make a lot, spending is easier than it is for many of us. Also, this doesn't mean that because someone is wealthy, they are horrible people worthy of all cynicism. I admit I have those feelings sometimes, but then I have back up and think.

An 17 year old with a M9 or a RX one is better than that same person going out to the club and blowing that kind of money on an expensive bottle of booze and a private table.

Old 06-15-2013   #38
back alley
IMAGES

better a camera than a gun...

Old 06-15-2013   #39
olelovold

It's a bit cynical to assume that a young person with an expensive camera got it from his/her parents. More likely that person worked hard to be able to afford it.

Old 06-15-2013   #40
haempe
negative guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by olelovold View Post
It's a bit cynical to assume that a young person with an expensive camera got it from his/her parents. More likely that person worked hard to be able to afford it.
You are one of those "glass is half full"-guys, right?
Respect, cheers!