Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Lomography

Lomography Dedicated to discuss all Lomography Products

Lomography Konstruktor - BUILD your own SLR!
Old 06-13-2013   #1
CliveC

Lomography Konstruktor - BUILD your own SLR!

I came across the Lomography Konstruktor camera today and for $35, it seems like a reasonable sum for a toy project.

I think I will order one and give it a shot. If it's of reasonable quality, it may be something of interest to my nephews. Too bad it's only a f/10 lens and a single speed shutter, but maybe it can be hacked at some point for a bit more flexibility.

Old 06-13-2013   #2
jsrockit

Looks fun... share some results if you get around to it.

Old 06-13-2013   #3
AJShepherd

It's cheap enough to have a pop at, and the way some of the parts come on their sprues reminds me of my dim and distant youth making Airfix kits.

If the name had a few umlauts, it'd sound like something from IKEA!

Might wait for some reviews before I put down any hard earned, though.

Old 06-13-2013   #4
thegman

Looks like a like possibly fun toy, although for $35 I wouldn't expect anything resembling a usable camera. Maybe cool just to play with though.

Old 06-13-2013   #5
CliveC

Well, I was also about to pop $15 for the Recesky 35mm TLR camera off eBay. Could be an interesting comparison.

Old 06-13-2013   #6
Mablo

This is just the right kind of Puzzlespiel I need for the long dark winter evenings.

Old 06-13-2013   #7
CliveC

Oops, guess I waited too long. Was trying to get a friend to buy in to save on shipping, but it's out of stock now.

Old 06-13-2013   #8
séamuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveC View Post
Oops, guess I waited too long. Was trying to get a friend to buy in to save on shipping, but it's out of stock now.
the lomography website doesn’t show it being out of stock. how could they be out of stock, when it just launched like today? for 35 dollars, its cheap enough in my opinion to give it a try. it seems pretty small, even for a 35, so being all plastic I bet its incredibly light. would make a great travel snapshot camera, with the typical lomo look to the photos I’m sure.

Old 06-13-2013   #9
CliveC

Quote:
Originally Posted by séamuis View Post
the lomography website doesn’t show it being out of stock. how could they be out of stock, when it just launched like today? for 35 dollars, its cheap enough in my opinion to give it a try. it seems pretty small, even for a 35, so being all plastic I bet its incredibly light. would make a great travel snapshot camera, with the typical lomo look to the photos I’m sure.
Maybe it's a glitch. On the Canadian Lomography site, it was out of stock for a few minutes there, but when I refreshed just now, it's back. Then when I went to check out, it's OOS again.

Odd.

Old 06-13-2013   #10
alienmeatsack

I have one on order myself. I thought the same as the above comments, it's cheap enough to give it a whirl. I own quite a few of their cameras and I've spent more on junk cameras before so what the heck.

The two major limitations to me are what are going to make it fun to play with and try to master.
1) One aperture
2) One shutter speed (plus Bulb)

I figure that it will need to be taped or glued to keep it from falling apart completely, but even if it does, its cheap and therefore should be a fun project.

Old 06-13-2013   #11
02Pilot
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienmeatsack View Post

The two major limitations to me are what are going to make it fun to play with and try to master.
1) One aperture
2) One shutter speed (plus Bulb)
It's funny that you put it that way. I had exactly the same thought after putting the first roll through my Brownie Hawkeye a couple weeks ago. Fixed speed (plus B) and fixed aperture means all you've got to work with is film speed and composition, and only the latter shot-to-shot - pretty good for practicing the basics, I think.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 06-13-2013   #12
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Bargain ... that's fifteen dollars less than I paid for my OM-2 and 50mm f1.8 Zuiko!

I like the idea actually ... this is what Lomo are very good at IMO.

Old 06-13-2013   #13
zuiko85

I ordered one a couple of hours after they launched, thought they would run out of the first batch fast. They are probably checking interest and will produce a larger run since these sold out so fast.

Now all they need is a 35mm f11 two element retro focus wide angle and a 100mm f11 two element telephoto to complement the 50mm f10, and of course, a "Joe tested and approved" camera bag to complete the kit.

By the way, I bought both a Fujica ST605n body, and a Sears KS 500 (Ricoh KR-5) with 50mm f2 lens, both clean and working, for less than this camera......but I still wanted it.

Old 06-13-2013   #14
zuiko85

You toy camera folks also know you can buy the Diana Mini, a 35mm viewfinder camera that can switch between 18X24mm and 24X24mm, has an 1/100 and 'B' shutter, 35mm FL focusing lens, tripod bush and threaded for standard cable release. It is available from Freestyle Photo for 34.99 plus shipping. Just FYI if you are into this sort of photography.

That is $25 less than the lomography store wants for it.

Old 06-13-2013   #15
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

F10 is going to be pretty miserable for focusing. They could have at least gotten to F8 even with a single element lens. Although since the lens is removable, I assume they plan to add additional lenses to the "system".

Old 06-14-2013   #16
hrzlvn

I have one ordered! It's just a $35 toy, what do you expect other than "fun" XD? Can't wait to enjoy the assembly process..

Old 06-14-2013   #17
pdexposures

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunalegs View Post
F10 is going to be pretty miserable for focusing. They could have at least gotten to F8 even with a single element lens. Although since the lens is removable, I assume they plan to add additional lenses to the "system".
From what I've seen the shutter is in the body, and it is a small shutter at that. I would imagine the f/stop is dictated by that rather than anything to do with the lens itself.

Leica M6- 35mm Cron V3 / 50mm Cron V3 / 90mm Elmar-C
Hasselblad 500cm - 80mm Planar
Nikon FM3a - 50mm 1.4 Nikkor

www.pdexposures.com <- Film camera reviews, podcast, flim news and general tom foolery

Old 06-14-2013   #18
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdexposures View Post
From what I've seen the shutter is in the body, and it is a small shutter at that. I would imagine the f/stop is dictated by that rather than anything to do with the lens itself.
I doubt it from what I've seen of the mirror box. It looks like the shutter aperture is a lot larger than that of say the Argus C3, and the Argus still managed an F3.5 lens albeit with minimal vignetting wide open.

On the other hand I suspect it will run into the same problem the Exa cameras had with long lenses vignetting.

edit: upon inspection the shutter aperture is actually much smaller than it first appeared to be. The shutter itself is extremely unorthodox.

Old 06-14-2013   #19
alienmeatsack

I got the notice from FedEx that mine has shipped and I'm expecting it mid-late week next week. So I will see what's what soon enough.

Old 06-14-2013   #20
CliveC

Well, I managed to get my order in. Added a pack of Lomography 100 120 Color Negative film while I was at it, since I didn't have any colour 120 film for my Yashica.

As a new user to lomography's site, I was gifted 10 points, which basically meant free shipping.

Old 06-18-2013   #21
andrewmore
Too many cameras....

Mine is due at the beginning of July which is when the next batch is due.

My idea is to investigate whether a lens/shutter assembly from an otherwise 'unremarkable folder' (to quote Roger Hicks in a similar 'make a camera to suit' context) can be fitted onto an adapter spaced the right distance away from the film plane (easy to determine) and then use 'scale focus' against manual exposure meter settings. I would envisage omitting or bypassing the kit shutter. This would address the lens and exposure concerns regarding that supplied in the kit.

If feasible I expect someone else will beat me to it as I have limited time at present.

An entire range of highly modified custom cameras might well result from the partial use of the kit, especially with the rise in custom laser cutting and 3D prototype services.

Regards

Andrew More

Old 06-19-2013   #22
one90guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJShepherd View Post
It's cheap enough to have a pop at, and the way some of the parts come on their sprues reminds me of my dim and distant youth making Airfix kits.

If the name had a few umlauts, it'd sound like something from IKEA!

Might wait for some reviews before I put down any hard earned, though.
I still have a couple of Airfix kits somewhere around here. Camera kit does look nice, I would like to hear from someone who builds one and uses it.

David

Old 06-20-2013   #23
OlliL

Build was fun.
Don't now when to shoot, yet.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/c764rh9nmrjw63u/FRhx39ccrD

Old 06-20-2013   #24
CliveC

Mine arrived. They shipped the wrong film from what I ordered though. (Ordered 120 to try on my other cameras, got 35mm).

Will probably tackle the build over the weekend.

Old 06-20-2013   #25
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveC View Post
Mine arrived. They shipped the wrong film from what I ordered though. (Ordered 120 to try on my other cameras, got 35mm).

Will probably tackle the build over the weekend.
Remember to take some pics as you go along.

Old 06-20-2013   #26
CliveC

A few observations so far from just looking at the manual and kit:

1. The manual (and box) claim it takes 1-2 hours to build, I think it's a little generous on the estimate. The instructions are clear and in many languages.

2. Lens is removable. This makes me think that they will offer other lenses in the future, despite the fact that the shutter is fixed at 1/80.

3. The grade of plastic is good, not great.

4. It's small. Height is similar to the Olympus XA, it's a little wider. Even without the lens, it looks about twice as thick. Certainly the smallest SLR I own.

5. The light chamber portion is prebuilt, but the instruction manual includes the steps they took to build it. Nice touch.

6. No light seal material is included, but there are ridges which may function the same. Should be a piece of cake to retrofit seals if required.

7. The way the gears are on the plastic tree is a little concerning, since you can possibly remove a gear tooth if you do not take care. I intend to use a sharp hobby knife.

Old 06-20-2013   #27
OlliL

It took me around 1.5 hours to build, give or take 15 min.
I also used a knife to get the pieces out.

Old 06-20-2013   #28
CliveC

Apparently if you're familiar enough, you can do it in under 15 minutes

Old 06-29-2013   #29
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Any updates so far?

Old 07-02-2013   #30
CliveC

Sorry, life got in the way and the camera is still sitting in its box. I'll be sure to document the build though.

Old 08-27-2013   #31
limr

Hi folks,

I registered quite a while ago and posted a few times but have been pretty quiet since then. And apparently I'm making my re-debut by reviving a 2-month-old thread!

I bought a Konstruktor kit because I wanted to start tinkering with camera mechanics in a low-stakes kind of a way. I put it together over the course of a couple of days, partly because I was missing a small spring (that ******* B10 spring that had to be hooked to a peg from underneath the shutter button mechanism).

The first roll I put through it was my last roll of Lomo Redscale because it was the only 100 speed film I had at the moment. The parts are sort of sticky at first, which means a few things:

1) film advance is a bit hit or miss at times, which resulted in some overlapping frames and others with large spaces in between;
2) shutter button sometimes has to be 'reset' by pushing up the knob on the front that switches you from "N" to "B" shutter speed;
3) rewinding takes a long time!

Focusing is tricky but not as much as you'd think.

I'm in the middle of my second roll and the above issues are already lessening. The parts are all moving a bit more smoothly.

Here are a couple of shots from my first roll, including an inadvertent "panorama" that resulted from that sticky film advance and overlapping frames.

Okay, the pano isn't cooperating, but if anyone really wants to see it, here it is on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5169291...n/photostream/ (I tried embedding it but it wasn't working).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Day 230 - Redscale lamp and window.jpg (53.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Day 230 - Redscale lamp.jpg (32.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Day 230 - Plant.jpg (46.5 KB, 5 views)

Old 08-28-2013   #32
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Good job. I quite like the compositions with the red film.

Old 08-29-2013   #33
limr

Thanks. I think this little plastic toy may have potential.

Old 08-29-2013   #34
alienmeatsack

My experience with the Konstruktor is less exciting and fun then I hoped.

My manual was literally missing key build pages right out of the box. All of the parts were there, but I had to go dig around online for instructions. I found the instructions themselves to be confusing, more so then the build it self. Once you've put one together you can do it again in short time.

It's flimsy, creaks and crackles as you use it. It tore and broke most of the film I've run through it. I had to take it apart, gently sand and polish some of the gears and pieces to get them to work together well. I highly recommend that if you get one and build it. Do the build, noting how it works, then take it apart and sand/file down edges on things that interact with each other to make it smoother operating.

The film advance as said above is hit or miss, the film counter itself is part of the problem here. Mine sometimes never catches, sometimes does too early. So I end up with huge gaps or overlapping frames on every roll.

Focus is also a real pain in the arse. I think if I am going to use the camera anymore then I have I am going to build a custom rearview viewfinder system out of some foamcore or plastic so I can see better. MOst of my shots I focused approximately and then hoped for the best.

With that said, when you get working shots that are exposed well, they look really cool.

I don't know how often I will use it to be honest. The broken film and huge waste of film because of gaps has kind of turned me off of it for the most part. It's just one more in the huge pile of cameras I own.

Turkey Mountain by alienmeatsack, on Flickr

Turkey Mountain by alienmeatsack, on Flickr