Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Simon Says -- SimonSawSunlight Photo Technique

Simon Says -- SimonSawSunlight Photo Technique From time to time its been suggested that RFF have a mentor Photography help section in terms of Technique - how to shoot this or that. 1st of all I had to find someone whose work I really like. 2ndly that photog had to be willing help others. That's the catch: so many excellent photogs just are not wiling to make the time for that, or just as likely, simply don't give a damn about helping others. SimonSawSunlight is an excellent up and coming photog whose work seems to go well beyond his 24 years.

You can view Simon's work at http://www.simonbephotography.com/  and www.facebook.com/simonbphotography Simon has been published in in FAZ (Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung), LFI (Leica Fotografie International) and more recently in Radiate Magazine. He also recently had a large solo-exhibition in Berlin. Not too Shabby! So, let us begin this adventure and see where it goes. Thank for taking this on Simon!

Old 06-05-2013   #81
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Does not Erdogan enjoy considerable popularity? I seem to recall he got quite a lot of votes.

But then, so did [insert name of least favourite politician here].

Cheers,

R.
To the best of my understanding:

Erdogan got 50% of the votes. Quite an achievement. But, he got them after two earlier terms as a PM and during those he gained popularity with often illiterate country folk who are majority muslim, by bringing them a better income and stability.

Now, with the 50% votes he is trying to bring his muslim views etc to the cities, where the majority is secular Turks. Also, he is working on a law that would allow the President to be elected by the people instead of parliament (which will very likely secure his fourth term) and to allow that President to send parliament home if he deems necessary.

Essentially Erdogan might be gearing up for a muslim dictatorship. And if it's not going to be him, the door will be open for a future dictator.

EDIT: Oh, and then there's the issue that most of his partners in reforming the country are in his political party and have substantial interests in the businesses that develop new malls, new apartment buildings, new infrastructure, and in media corporations. Which is why CNN Turk broadcast a documentary on penguins as the demonstrations got ugly...

Old 06-05-2013   #82
leicapixie

There comes a time for change.
The typical reaction of the authorities.
One has seen this in Nazi Germany, Soviet Union, the new Russia,
USA ( put your city here) or even in Canada, and South Africa.
The police a police are, anywhere become the hooligans, the brutes and
bully boys of a Authoritarian state. It happens too easily.
The police lack the foresight that after the "happenings" their actions will long
be remembered by people, in day to day, encounters.
It matters not if it's Istanbul, Athens or Toronto..
An idea seldom can be stopped..
Keep safe and do the best reporting possible.
Your images that reached us well before the "major" media showed anything
No wonder newspapers are dying. TV belongs to the Industrial Complex. They have no interest in damaging business..

Old 06-05-2013   #83
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardkid View Post
To the best of my understanding:

Erdogan got 50% of the votes. Quite an achievement. But, he got them after two earlier terms as a PM and during those he gained popularity with often illiterate country folk who are majority muslim, by bringing them a better income and stability.

Now, with the 50% votes he is trying to bring his muslim views etc to the cities, where the majority is secular Turks. Also, he is working on a law that would allow the President to be elected by the people instead of parliament (which will very likely secure his fourth term) and to allow that President to send parliament home if he deems necessary.

Essentially Erdogan might be gearing up for a muslim dictatorship. And if it's not going to be him, the door will be open for a future dictator.

EDIT: Oh, and then there's the issue that most of his partners in reforming the country are in his political party and have substantial interests in the businesses that develop new malls, new apartment buildings, new infrastructure, and in media corporations. Which is why CNN Turk broadcast a documentary on penguins as the demonstrations got ugly...
Dear Johan,

Thanks for the clear exposition. This was pretty much what I understood but you have followed it more closely than I and you have explained it admirably.

This feeds in a very interesting fashion into the current discussion about RFF and politics. Without the background you have so clearly drawn, these photographs mean a lot less.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-05-2013   #84
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

a protester is throwing back a tear gas grenade at the front line barricade of yesterday's clashes in gümüşsuyu. the amount of gas you're exposed to while doing this is very dangerous, even with a gas mask.

in the face of what happens every day, the word protest appears euphemistic. what you are seeing here is not a demonstration but a crowd defending taksim, so that people can demonstrate and 'occupy' there. yesterday saw a lot of police provocation in order to lure protesters out of the greater taksim area and arrest them, but some strong voices were able to hold back most of the less strategically minded who wanted to throw stones at the water cannons waiting beyond the barricades (a rather futile excercise).

a protester has advanced about 50m beyond the first row of protesters to aim his slingshot at police further down the road.

when well organised, protesters are now very quick to throw back grenades in the direction of the police.

there are many teams of volunteering doctors treating people on the spot, often applauded by the crowd.

yesterday, a protester said: "everybody has a part to play. some chant, some fight, some help the injured, some sit in a park, ... all are equally important."

protesters are gaining experience in how to deal with police attacks, many are getting better equipment and the ones who have seen some front line action are working together more and more effectively against the teargas.

no matter the circumstances, there is always room for humour.

çarşı is a group of beşiktaş j.k. ultras, considered 'hooligans' by many. their image has somewhat improved in the last few days, as the rivalries with other clubs' supporters have been put on hold, and their experience and resilience against police strategies was vital in taking over and holding taksim from police forces. people cheer in gezi park as the çarşı banner is held up.

one of the most heard "battle songs" people are chanting translates to:

throw more gas bombs, throw more gas bombs,
take off your helmets,
take off your masks,
throw away your batons,
we'll see who the real man is.

Old 06-05-2013   #85
Contarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseJones View Post
It certainly looks like an iconic image/moment has penetrated the mainstream.

This seemed to be on most Uk websites this morning, even front of the Daily Mail...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...urkey-protests
She is a very "westernized" looking lady.

Old 06-05-2013   #86
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarama View Post
she's just a normal looking girl around here.

Old 06-05-2013   #87
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSawSunlight View Post
she's just a normal looking girl around here.
Yes, but you have to allow for the "orientalists" who can't get their heads around the idea that Turkey is, since Ataturk, pretty much a Western European democracy. Plenty of people (including Erdogan) have a pseudo-romantic idea of the Ottoman Empire, with exotic, swarthy foreigners (or in Erdogan's case, voters) in fezzes and turbans.

And, once again, thanks for the pics.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-05-2013   #88
MikeDimit

Simon, nearly 4 months back in my country there were protest , even self-immolations. Our police do not use tear gas - I guess it is expensive. It ended with resignation of our prime-minister and election of a new parliament . Keep protesting till you can. After all, nothing is forever, even balcan politics! :-))

Old 06-05-2013   #89
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Quote:
Yeah,

but Turkey is a western state. It is not a muslim state, no theocracy like Iran or a fake democracy with a dictator like Syria or Egypt was, but a true democracy. It's founder Atatürk in the 1920's abolished Arab writing and introduced the western alphabet, changed calendars twice to leave Arab calendars and incorporate the western calendar, and organized the state to keep religion at bay and secure a secular state. Turkey has been considered a candidate to join the EU for almost a decade, until Erdogan decided to steer it away from that candidacy around 2005: too much interference with human rights, tax regimes, international trade and law from the EU made him turn towards the arab nations in the region.

Most Turks, especially those living in the larger cities, are as western as the people living in former communist countries in Europe. There's really not much difference in standards of life, popular beliefs, media penetration etc between city dwellers in countries like Turkey, Bulgaria, Rumania, Greece, Serbia, etc. It's mostly in the countryside where people are more conservative, where the main differences can be found between citizens of these states.

Although I have never been to Turkey, it is of special interest to me lately as I am researching for a novel that will be situated in the Turkish province of Hatay, about a century ago. Oddly, the inability of people to live together is a theme in the story...

Old 06-05-2013   #90
luplup7

Well, I need some help in uploading pictures. It s gonna be the first time, so can anyone please help?

Old 06-05-2013   #91
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by luplup7 View Post
Well, I need some help in uploading pictures. It s gonna be the first time, so can anyone please help?
Post them to Flickr etc. first and link them in with the post here.

Uploading to here is more troublesome and will set more limits to the file size etc before you can upload!

Old 06-05-2013   #92
luplup7

thanks buzzardkid, i m on my way

Old 06-05-2013   #93
tom.w.bn

Quote:
When I walked though Istanbul last year I noticed in the Europen part less headscarfs than in some areas of my city in Germany. Women are dressed in a modern "western" style. It changes, when you take the boat to the asian side.

Old 06-05-2013   #94
luplup7

I believe there is a problem with my post, pictures dont show up, any ideas? I posted as instructed, copy the link, click insert image, paste, click. anyways all of them are in this page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7187618...n/photostream/

Old 06-05-2013   #95
tom.w.bn

Quote:
I believe there is a problem with my post, pictures dont show up, any ideas? I posted as instructed, copy the link, click insert image, paste, click. anyways all of them are in this page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7187618...n/photostream/
Did you copy the photo link or the BB-Code into the image tag here? The photo link e.g. http:[email protected]/8959809524/
will not work.

Old 06-05-2013   #96
luplup7

first intervention by the police. there was no provocation against them and they didn't give any warning.

barbaros street after gas was thrown

"chemical tayyip", a guy with a Galatasaray jersey, a Fenerbahçe scarf and a Besiktas cap. These are 3 archrival clubs of Istanbul. In normal days, you wouldn't even bother to wear a rival's jersey in Besiktas town.

"One day we're gonna come, while you're sleeping"

police was attacking to demonstrators and people were running away to stay away from the teargas and water cannons

my favourite image and the most meaningful to me. Some background info: Besiktas fans are mostly living in the town, with the same name Besiktas. The stadium is in the town, and there had been struggles with police for long years. Çarşı, the fan group, is used to tear gas and knows how to keep the police away from the civil people (civil: not fans). The previous picture shows the police, cleared the streets and ready to attack with water cannons&tear gas. By setting up a fire barricade they allowed civilians to stay away from the gas, they created a "safe-zone" for people.

Old 06-05-2013   #97
mathiasprinz

thanks for the infos and pictures, folks. keep up the good work and don´t risk your health.

Old 06-05-2013   #98
Peter Wijninga

Congrats to the photographer for his dedication and hard work. However, a lot of pictures of an event without global reverberations minus a context = a lot of pictures.

Old 06-05-2013   #99
tom.w.bn

There is an article on the official flickr-blog about the protests. One of Simons photos is displayed.

http://blog.flickr.net/en/2013/06/04...sh-government/

Old 06-05-2013   #100
MVCG

This is despicable behaviour... Please take care of yourselves and each other. Nice reportage work Simon. I have good friends standing ground with you (amicably) and am proud of your stance! peace!!

Flickr

Old 06-06-2013   #101
morback
Martin N. Hinze

Quote:
first intervention by the police. there was no provocation against them and they didn't give any warning.
I was right in front if the trucks with Simon and another friend. It all blew up when a youth started spray painting the front window of a TOMA.

It all happened in an instant, but it was not unprovoked. There was a minority in the protestors that was itching for a fight, and they got it, despite the best efforts if other protesters.

It's hard to tell who is a legitimate protestor, who an angry person, and who an agent provocateur...

Before that it was quite ok. People where hanging flags on the trucks, and showing messages to the drivers with their cell phones.

After that....

Yesterday praying in the park for the religious holiday, and a bit of jazz and a lot of people. All quiet.

Today, concert by local celebrities.

My Flickr
The Great Picnic

Old 06-06-2013   #102
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

yesterday was the first calm and rather peaceful night (as far as i can tell). erdoğan is coming back tonight, apparently, which will be interesting. i will post a few more pictures soon.

Old 06-06-2013   #103
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

it would feel out of place to post more pictures of clashes after a such a peaceful night (by today's standards, anyways), so here's two from gezi and taksim.

things have been rather calm and peaceful in istanbul since the last clashes on tuesday night. unfortunately, this can not be said for the cities of ankara and rize.

people praying in gezi park, receiving cheers and applause by the by-standing people afterwards.

Old 06-06-2013   #104
smbilgin

Hi everybody,

PM talked to the press in Tunusia one hour ago and his says the same thing as he said before he go. So, nothing changed !!!

Tonight he will come back. Also the scheduled concerts in Gezi Park has been canceled for tonight and there will be a memorial service for the people who has been killed during these 10 days.

Flickr Portfolio

Old 06-06-2013   #105
smbilgin

Another site full of resistance photos....

http://www.kodacollective.com/occupy-gezi

Flickr Portfolio

Old 06-06-2013   #106
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbilgin View Post
Another site full of resistance photos....

http://www.kodacollective.com/occupy-gezi
Photographically-speaking only, it's awesome. Not only does it visually narrate the movement, but aesthetically it is engaging, no matter what your take on the matter is, no matter how informed (or otherwise) you are.

Funny, as I type, I'm watching a reportage on French TV.

Be assured, although this is not yet the main headline in news outlets over here, it is getting enough attention.

Even that Turkish CNN is ignoring the issue (bravo, CNN!)

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 06-06-2013   #107
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Today I did some messages out trying to persuade national press agencies and national newspaper news desks that this rally of protests is not all centering around some trees and the subsequent brutal police conductions, but that the violence against the small protest was only the spark. that the protesters are worried about the course of Erdogans politics.

Seems that the reporters writing the articles for the more populist newspapers Telegraaf and Algemeen Dagblad (at least for their web editions) are dumbing the issue down so their readers can get their little heads around it...

Maybe it'll help. I'm hoping more people are trying to get the full picture across to those newspapers.

Other media in the Netherlands are covering the protests and are also publishing a lot of background information and interviews etc to shine a light on it from multiple angles.

Old 06-06-2013   #108
MartinP

The Turkish authorities are also becoming more medi-savvy. The strength of 'policing actions' is reportedly increasingly inversely-proportional to the international media attention on different towns and cities, as seen with the quietening down in parts of Istanbul over the last day.

As I mentioned a couple of days ago, there was a small demonstration of support in town yesterday. There were a few hundred people for a couple of hours and attention from TV and printed-media, but direct benefits are probably few.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 800_IGP3502.jpg (55.3 KB, 8 views)

Old 06-07-2013   #109
MikeDimit

I've just read Erdogan's statement when he landed. He will not back up. So do not do something stupid on weekend. They will use force to solve the problem. Be safe. All of you.
If I were you, I would use a fat towel. Wrapped on your head it softens stick hits. It is useful after water cannon attack. And it mocks police when combined with bath thongs and a piece of soap.

Old 06-07-2013   #110
Rodchenko
Olympian

And every hoopy frood knows where his towel is.

Seriously, I hope you stay safe. Erdogan is talking tough, but he needs international support, and it's very shaky at the moment. If he goes in with serious force (that's not to say that the current policing is not serious, but there has, thankfully, been only one death reported so far, and we know what the military are capable of), he will lose any international support. The US needs to keep him sweet because of the strategic importance of Incirlik airbase, but even that would only go so far.

Old 06-07-2013   #111
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodchenko View Post
And every hoopy frood knows where his towel is.

Seriously, I hope you stay safe. Erdogan is talking tough, but he needs international support, and it's very shaky at the moment. If he goes in with serious force (that's not to say that the current policing is not serious, but there has, thankfully, been only one death reported so far, and we know what the military are capable of), he will lose any international support. The US needs to keep him sweet because of the strategic importance of Incirlik airbase, but even that would only go so far.
as far as i know, there has been at least 4 reported deaths so far.

Old 06-07-2013   #112
Rodchenko
Olympian

I thought there might be more than have made the headlines over here. But international condemnation is definitely growing.

Old 06-07-2013   #114
smbilgin

The symbol women of the resistance...

http://www.milliyet.com.tr/fotogaler...olu-kadinlar/1

Flickr Portfolio

Old 06-07-2013   #115
raid
Dad Photographer

Some of the images are awesome. All images are very impressive.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 06-07-2013   #116
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Quote:
The symbol women of the resistance...

http://www.milliyet.com.tr/fotogaler...olu-kadinlar/1
Impressive. Again, clearly illustrates that Turkey is a secular state and has advanced equality between women and men.

Women to be proud of!

Old 06-07-2013   #117
raid
Dad Photographer

In many ways, these protests include the saving of personal freedoms. This includes sexuality. Of course, a dictator is a dictator also on many other issues.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 06-07-2013   #118
smbilgin

Interesting information from the resistance...

During the clashes in the first 2 or 3 days, protesters had cursed a lot (son of a b..., f.g PM etc..). Also there were a lot of similar words on the walls. But now it is forbidden. Because protestors realised that there are a lot of feminist, gay and lesbian groups fighting among the others and these words upset them. On the forth day, feminist groups erased those words from the walls and now everybody warn each other about the sexist curses...

Gezi Park is evolving. A revolution market has been established and provides free food for the protestors (foods and medicines are supplied by other protestors from all over the country). Also a library has been built in the park. Many people donates books and people can take the books. An unbelievable solidarity.

By the way, I would like to thank all of you once again for your support.

Flickr Portfolio

Old 06-07-2013   #119
HoodedOne

Powerful stuff Simon.
Keep up the good work, and be safe.

Old 06-07-2013   #120
noimmunity
scratch my niche

Quote:
Interesting information from the resistance...

During the clashes in the first 2 or 3 days, protesters had cursed a lot (son of a b..., f.g PM etc..). Also there were a lot of similar words on the walls. But now it is forbidden. Because protestors realised that there are a lot of feminist, gay and lesbian groups fighting among the others and these words upset them. On the forth day, feminist groups erased those words from the walls and now everybody warn each other about the sexist curses...

Gezi Park is evolving. A revolution market has been established and provides free food for the protestors (foods and medicines are supplied by other protestors from all over the country). Also a library has been built in the park. Many people donates books and people can take the books. An unbelievable solidarity.

By the way, I would like to thank all of you once again for your support.
Yes, very interesting. I've re-posted along my networks. Thanks.

flickr
Flickr