Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Simon Says -- SimonSawSunlight Photo Technique

Simon Says -- SimonSawSunlight Photo Technique From time to time its been suggested that RFF have a mentor Photography help section in terms of Technique - how to shoot this or that. 1st of all I had to find someone whose work I really like. 2ndly that photog had to be willing help others. That's the catch: so many excellent photogs just are not wiling to make the time for that, or just as likely, simply don't give a damn about helping others. SimonSawSunlight is an excellent up and coming photog whose work seems to go well beyond his 24 years.

You can view Simon's work at http://www.simonbephotography.com/  and www.facebook.com/simonbphotography Simon has been published in in FAZ (Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung), LFI (Leica Fotografie International) and more recently in Radiate Magazine. He also recently had a large solo-exhibition in Berlin. Not too Shabby! So, let us begin this adventure and see where it goes. Thank for taking this on Simon!

Old 06-03-2013   #41
Sparrow

Good work Simon ... but please take care of your lungs, once damaged there's no going back

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 06-03-2013   #42
Lawrence Sheperd

Amazing shots that I'm trying to share with as many as possible. My thoughts are with you and the brothers and sisters in Istanbul.

Larry

Old 06-03-2013   #43
helenhill
a Click in Time...

Just be sure to take a Helmet & gasmask this Time
Be Safe, Be wise...

A Lover of Leica M's...
Best Wishes -H

Old 06-03-2013   #44
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Just be sure to take a Helmet & gasmask this Time
Be Safe, Be wise...
i have been using a gasmask since yesterday, no helmet though. if this goes on, i will see if i can find one.

Old 06-03-2013   #45
k__43
Registered Film User

Great work Simon!

Please get back healthy and un-arrested. I do not want to think about turkish jails.

Old 06-03-2013   #46
smbilgin

Don't worry. If Simon gets arrested, we will burn to that jail to the ground and get him out of there. He is RFF's escrow to us

Flickr Portfolio

Old 06-03-2013   #47
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSawSunlight View Post
i have been using a gasmask since yesterday, no helmet though. if this goes on, i will see if i can find one.
Simon, excellent work as always but do take care of your lungs! Apparently where the police are out of tear gas they're instead using toxic distress signal gas normally used to signal military aircraft (among other things I suppose)!

Old 06-03-2013   #48
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

yes, they have been using different things.

Old 06-03-2013   #49
hellomikmik

sikik polis.

Old 06-03-2013   #50
morback
Martin N. Hinze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
Simon, excellent work as always but do take care of your lungs! Apparently where the police are out of tear gas they're instead using toxic distress signal gas normally used to signal military aircraft (among other things I suppose)!

Out of teargas?

My Flickr
The Great Picnic

Old 06-03-2013   #51
huddy

Simon and other RFF members, stay safe and keep up the great work. It's a shame (but not surprising) as to the poor coverage by much of the MSM about this. Keep doing what you can to shine light on the subject.

Old 06-03-2013   #52
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddy View Post
Simon and other RFF members, stay safe and keep up the great work. It's a shame (but not surprising) as to the poor coverage by much of the MSM about this. Keep doing what you can to shine light on the subject.
Dunno. It surprises me. But then, I suppose I pay more attention to non-US and non EU news that most people. But Istanbul is in Europe, dammit.

As a Tibetan friend of mine said about the lack of coverage of Tibetan news, "Well, as far as they're concerned, what little yellow men do to each other doesn't matter very much." His words, note, not mine: all too often, a fair assessment of Western media. Presumably Turks are honorary "little yellow men".

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-03-2013   #53
Rodchenko
Olympian

I think that's the case. The chaps in the Turkish shop opposite my work were watching CNN Turk with worried expressions. It was a talking head, so I couldn't say what was being discussed, but I suspect that the coverage of events is slim.

Old 06-03-2013   #54
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddy View Post

Anyone who wants can help.

Get the link to the ZIP-file from the original post and mail the link to it off to as many MSM as you can. It may take some time before they are switching on and information pouring in in their mailboxes might kickstart them.

Old 06-03-2013   #55
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
a lot seems to be left out by the international media, while turkish media is just plain ridiculous.
it has been calm this morning but that might change later in the afternoon. i am going back to taksim now.
Just so you know, it is being mentioned over here (in Frons), and at least this evening I saw a French correspondent reporting right from the middle of the mess, and has said pretty much what you stated earlier, that the police is shooting tear-gas, but no detail into anything else you've said (that they are deliberately aiming the way they're aiming, and are using stuff other than teargas).

I forgot if it was Canal+/iTele or France 2.

Anyway, if you see a girl telkin wis a French axont wis a microphone, and a cameraman, you may want to tell her to follow you. The footage was pretty generic in the sense that police are doing "routine" riot control, mixed with interview blurbs from young people explaining that they have nothing against the police, but the government as this is the culmination of many things piling up.

France 2 is pretty "liberal" when it comes to sticking it to censorship (at least compared to most other anglosaxon TV news outlets I've had the chance to experience) when it comes to international issues, so they may really want to get to "the bottom of it". They've been doing a lot of rather risky yet actual journalism covering the rebels in Syria --and also getting the establishment's take on it.

BTW, got a copy of the zip file. Just in case.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 06-03-2013   #56
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Many great photos in the zip-file in the original post, get the file and see them, people.

There was an interesting item in the Dutch 8 o'clock news, showing that only a mile from the Taksim square people still are very favorable of Erdogan.

As I read in a tweet today: It's time that Erdogan should realize he does not have one much-loved child, but a second one too that is also deserving of his love. Meaning, Erdogan caters for his voters (50% in the last elections) and neglects the other half of the country completely. Those pictures Simon posted show that some people currently aren't loved too much by authorities. And you folks really should download them to see what great shots Simon took and how much risk he ran to get them.

The essence of photo journalism, regardless of truths, political or otherwise. Admiration and gratitude are in order, even if this isn't your (or my) specific battle!

Old 06-03-2013   #57
raid
Dad Photographer

Simon,
Be careful. Thanks for the images and the video clip.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 06-04-2013   #58
lynnb

thanks for posting these Simon. Great work. Stay aware and take care of yourself.

Old 06-04-2013   #59
TennesseJones

Thanks for posting these Simon, great work, be safe.

There was a rally in Trafalgar Square last night, loud but not vast, and many more police than press attending.

I think people are certainly talking about the Turkish events here, and not just people from the large Turkish community. Seems a growing concern.

Old 06-04-2013   #60
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by morback View Post
Out of teargas?

Hmmm if the photos shown here are anything to go by, the Turkish Polis certainly do have quite a selection to choose from

Old 06-04-2013   #61
Hiyawaan
Particular Individual

Your inspiring Simon! Stay safe.

Old 06-04-2013   #62
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel M.A. View Post
Just so you know, it is being mentioned over here (in Frons), and at least this evening I saw a French correspondent reporting right from the middle of the mess, and has said pretty much what you stated earlier, that the police is shooting tear-gas, but no detail into anything else you've said (that they are deliberately aiming the way they're aiming, and are using stuff other than teargas).

I forgot if it was Canal+/iTele or France 2.

Anyway, if you see a girl telkin wis a French axont wis a microphone, and a cameraman, you may want to tell her to follow you. The footage was pretty generic in the sense that police are doing "routine" riot control, mixed with interview blurbs from young people explaining that they have nothing against the police, but the government as this is the culmination of many things piling up.

France 2 is pretty "liberal" when it comes to sticking it to censorship (at least compared to most other anglosaxon TV news outlets I've had the chance to experience) when it comes to international issues, so they may really want to get to "the bottom of it". They've been doing a lot of rather risky yet actual journalism covering the rebels in Syria --and also getting the establishment's take on it.

BTW, got a copy of the zip file. Just in case.
even some of the people working for the international press here don't seem to know what's going on when they fly in. i was dragging out a young american photojournalist out of a cloud of gas yesterday. she was obviously not prepared for what was happening at all. she had all the gear, gasmask, helmet, etc. but panicked and, inexplicably, took her mask of right in the middle of it (i have a picture of her pulling it off!)

anyways, more pictures in a few minutes (they're already on flickr).

Old 06-04-2013   #63
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

barricades are the only way to keep the water cannon trucks at bay and protesters use anything they can find to build them.

in the night of june 02/03, a large crowd of protesters managed to put an end to being chased back from beşiktaş in front of inönü stadium / dolmabahçe. a hijacked crane turned the tables for a little while, pushing water cannon trucks and policemen back up dolmabahçe boulevard. the night ended by the police hitting back with full force from several sides, dispersing the protesters but unable to further penetrate the taksim area.

the taksim area has been "fortified" with several lines of barricades such as these.

after several days and nights of protests and clashes with the police - especially the morning after the big and long clashes in beşiktaş and dolmabahçe, fatigue is visibly setting in among everybody involved.

yesterday (june 03) afternoon, people were getting prepared for more confrontation on the taksim side of inönü stadium. the police hit with gas several times, apparently putting more effort into very powerful and sudden "first strikes", but did not manage to effectively move up the hill towards taksim, always retreating back to the stadium.

by nightfall, rumours spread that the police would try and take over taksim, but apart from several severe gas strikes, they did not move up the hill very far.

even though i've seen less eye-to-eye confrontation yesterday, there seemed to be more severely injured people. probably due to the mix of different gas types police are using (some of them very dubious), and the fact the crowd is generally a little "softer" and less experienced the closer you come to taksim square.

Old 06-04-2013   #64
Melancholy
To grain, or not to grain

You are doing a great and important job Simon!

Here in Norway the media coverage are quite good, especially in the national media/NRK TV, and I´m following the situation in several medias - I wish I could be there documenting myself.

Take care, stay safe and keep up the good work!

Old 06-04-2013   #65
doolittle

A real eye-opener! Thanks for posting.

fixerofshadows.blogspot.com

Old 06-04-2013   #66
smbilgin

Hi guys again....

First of all, I thank personally to Simon for the great work. Every effort on this quite important, because we need this to be documented.

Situation update: PM left the country to visit northern African countries as many of you know. His ministers are trying to cool the people down but still blaming the people. unbelievable...

Anyway. Taksim is safe for 2 days but clash is going on at several places as you can see from Simon's pictures. Crowd is increasing day by day throughout the country. People act Taksim is a rescued zone. Every night people demonstrates on the streets at almost every cities squares and streets.

Yesterday in Hatay one young man died with a teargas gun (short distance fire directly to the head). Today there was his funeral with a big protest.

Anyway, within a few hours we will be back on the streets. Wish us luck.

Thank you all for your support.

Flickr Portfolio

Made the Canadian News... FWIW
Old 06-04-2013   #67
rwintle
Scientist by day

Made the Canadian News... FWIW

I seldom watch TV news but this is certainly a lead story on CBC Radio here in Canada.

Echo sentiments of others above... good work, please stay safe.

Old 06-04-2013   #68
paulfish4570

the drudge report is publishing several stories a day on the protests, from a variety of sources. coverage is there, if you dig for it ...

Old 06-04-2013   #69
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

Probably obvious, but a fire hose of links & photos can be found on Twitter: https://twitter.com/search?q=Istanbul&src=typd

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/

Old 06-04-2013   #70
taylan
Street Dog

Quote:
Are you using a mask, laddie? shame on you

Actually this problem was started at 1st of May 2007. It was 30th anniversary day of 1st of May 1977 Labor Day which was a clash again and 34 people were death in Taksim Square. After that day Labor day celebrations were banned by the governments. In 2007, people wanted to celebrate it and the result is below. This was first attack.

Old 06-04-2013   #71
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbilgin View Post
Hi guys again....

First of all, I thank personally to Simon for the great work. Every effort on this quite important, because we need this to be documented.

Situation update: PM left the country to visit northern African countries as many of you know. His ministers are trying to cool the people down but still blaming the people. unbelievable...

Anyway. Taksim is safe for 2 days but clash is going on at several places as you can see from Simon's pictures. Crowd is increasing day by day throughout the country. People act Taksim is a rescued zone. Every night people demonstrates on the streets at almost every cities squares and streets.

Yesterday in Hatay one young man died with a teargas gun (short distance fire directly to the head). Today there was his funeral with a big protest.

Anyway, within a few hours we will be back on the streets. Wish us luck.

Thank you all for your support.
Good luck!

And do you know the French expression, Bonne Courage?

Heartfelt thanks,

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-04-2013   #72
smbilgin

Hi everybody,

I think every RFF members in Istanbul survived last night. Me, Taylan, Simon, Martin, luplup7... So we have another day ahead

Taksim is now a festival field but clashes still going on at different areas. Especially in the other cities...

Last night update: In Izmir, police arrested 26 people because of social media usage. They claimed that those people are provocating the public via Facebook and Twitter. Probably this will spread. We'll see.

Today the two major union declared one day strike. But it is expected to turn into a general strike if the government doesn't back down.

Tomorrow the PM is going to be back to the country and we will see what happens.

We thank all of you for your support. Also the demonstrations that take place all around the world are highly appreciated and will never be forgotten.

Flickr Portfolio

Old 06-05-2013   #73
morback
Martin N. Hinze

Only click this link if your nerves and your heart are well attached.

Some graphic content.

I hope I'm not violating any board rules, but this upsets me too much.

At 8:15 you can see the often talked about civil police grabbing a single individual. They are very active and have also been seen instigating clashes.

So very sorry for posting this.

My Flickr
The Great Picnic

Old 06-05-2013   #74
sanmich

Martin

thanks for posting this.
very upsetting. Very worrying.
I don't know if grabbing a single person feels legitimate or not, but hitting someone with no need (either just passing by or already under control) is definitely out of line in my book, and it feels like this is the "regular treatment" and not the inevitable black sheep policemen that loose control.
amongst all this violence, the lady in the park seems seriously injured, and I start to understand that this is not an isolated case...

I'm worried for Turkey...

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site

Old 06-05-2013   #76
morback
Martin N. Hinze

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseJones View Post
It certainly looks like an iconic image/moment has penetrated the mainstream.

This seemed to be on most Uk websites this morning, even front of the Daily Mail...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...urkey-protests
It's a graffiti now. I will try to get a picture of it today.

My Flickr
The Great Picnic

Old 06-05-2013   #77
Haigh
Gary Haigh

Smile

Good luck Simon.

Old 06-05-2013   #78
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Background information: It is not about trees but about oppression by the government and their political and economical allies.

Today several unions have gone on strike to protest the violence. Amongst them, Turkish airline cabin personnel:

http://webtv.hurriyet.com.tr/2/50372...his-eylem.aspx

Thought I'd let you guys (and the people working in Turkey to report!) know this!

EDIT: another one, translated through google. Things maybe are changing a bit. NTV boss Cen Aydin apologizing for bad media coverage: http://translate.google.com/translat...ing%2F94365%2F

Seems the work and pressure might start to pay off, you Istanbul reporters! Be safe!

Old 06-05-2013   #79
Roger Hicks

Does not Erdogan enjoy considerable popularity? I seem to recall he got quite a lot of votes.

But then, so did [insert name of least favourite politician here].

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-05-2013   #80
MikeDimit

Boys, be save. Always walk in couples ( at least). Have helmets even a bicycle model.
I hope this gas war will not grew into real police cleaning exercise. And again , be careful!
Prepare for the weekend - that will be the time when things can get much worse.