Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Simon Says -- SimonSawSunlight Photo Technique

Simon Says -- SimonSawSunlight Photo Technique From time to time its been suggested that RFF have a mentor Photography help section in terms of Technique - how to shoot this or that. 1st of all I had to find someone whose work I really like. 2ndly that photog had to be willing help others. That's the catch: so many excellent photogs just are not wiling to make the time for that, or just as likely, simply don't give a damn about helping others. SimonSawSunlight is an excellent up and coming photog whose work seems to go well beyond his 24 years.

You can view Simon's work at http://www.simonbephotography.com/  and www.facebook.com/simonbphotography Simon has been published in in FAZ (Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung), LFI (Leica Fotografie International) and more recently in Radiate Magazine. He also recently had a large solo-exhibition in Berlin. Not too Shabby! So, let us begin this adventure and see where it goes. Thank for taking this on Simon!

Old 06-03-2013   #41
marcr1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Well, Hitler was elected...

But even if they aren't dangerous nut-cases to begin with, power often goes to politicians' heads. Generally, too, they can press a few buttons -- national security, religion, xenophobia -- that will have a disproportionate resonance with their less intelligent or informed supporters.

Cheers,

R.
Common misconception - Hitler was not elected to the head of state position, In 1932, Hindenburg won the presidential election Hitler was 2nd, Hindenburg then was pushed to appoint Hitler Chancellor (Jan 1933?), then a week before the March 1933 General election, the Reichstag burnt down, Hitler convinced Hindenburg to give him emergency powers, and that was all she wrote...

Old 06-03-2013   #42
smbilgin

Thank you again guys.

Mike, there is a video on social media today. A demonstration in Sofia. People say: "Turkey, you are not alone!" Love you guys, love you all.

Flickr Portfolio

Old 06-03-2013   #43
Steve Bellayr

There is almost no coverage of these demonstrations in the American media. If you are getting information on these events please post sites on the Net that can provide information & updates.

Old 06-03-2013   #44
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcr1230 View Post
Common misconception - Hitler was not elected to the head of state position, In 1932, Hindenburg won the presidential election Hitler was 2nd, Hindenburg then was pushed to appoint Hitler Chancellor (Jan 1933?), then a week before the March 1933 General election, the Reichstag burnt down, Hitler convinced Hindenburg to give him emergency powers, and that was all she wrote...
You are of course absolutely right: I can only blame my lack of detailed knowledge of the German political system in the 1930s. I knew about the burning of the Reichstag and Hindenberg being pushed aside but I thought (until I checked) that Chancellor was an elected, not appointed, position.

Thanks for reminding me. I think I may have known this once, but I had quite forgotten.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-03-2013   #45
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Roger, if my history lessons are remembered correctly, Hitler was not elected. Hitler lost the presidential election of 1932. He succeeded Hindenburg two years later, when Hindenburg died. After the Hindenburg's death, Hitler abolished the office of president, and replaced it with the new position of Leader and Reich Chancellor.

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 06-03-2013   #46
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbg32 View Post
Roger, if my history lessons are remembered correctly, Hitler was not elected. Hitler lost the presidential election of 1932. He succeeded Hindenburg two years later, when Hindenburg. After the Hindenburgh's death, Hitler abolished the office of president, and replaced it with the new position of Leader and Reich Chancellor.
Dear Keith,

You are of course right. See above post. And thank you too.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-03-2013   #47
kbg32
neo-romanticist

There has been nothing about this, or I have missed it, on US news reports. But then, my wife told me that there was a train derailment on the subway line we take to work and I saw nothing about it on the news that morning......

I always felt so in touch with world news. I may have to go back to reading the NYT evryday again. I stopped when I got laid off 4 years ago. The expense started to add up. Now that I'm working again, it seems to be a small cost for information.

Keith’s Gallery

Old 06-03-2013   #48
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Roger, I seem to be less right about so many things these days. Especially in my household!

Respectfully,

Keith’s Gallery

Old 06-03-2013   #49
kaiwasoyokaze
Half Frame Goodness

Turks are not Arabs in the Arab Spring part of the movement. furthermore sentiments with Arab Spring doesn't really ring true as Turkey has developed in a very unique fashion compared to the rest of the Middle East with Ataturk espousing a secularist military led republic that created a stability that lasted more or less with the military stepping in and then (very curiously) stepping out to shape politics but not control it overtly. There are many cracks however with this assessment as it seems to swing back and forth.

As Turkey is a interesting case, it needs to show the west it can be as progressive as Europe in order to develop their case to join the EU (a decade ago) but also to show the Arab world that it is not only Islamic but culturally one of Turks with their own unique history. My opinion is it needs to be proud of its own Turkish heritage and stop groveling to the Europeans.

I have subscribed to the OP's tumblr and find the images great, uplifting and inspiring. It is making my feet itching to out and try to document this myself by going to Istanbul....

http://soyokazekaiwa.tumblr.com/
Monologue in Busan

Old 06-03-2013   #50
huddy

Brother,
Stay safe. Continue to resist the evil and corruptness of the Erdogan government so that you and all of Turkey may live free.

Oh but that people everywhere (US included) were so willing to demonstrate and protest the poor actions of the government.

For those who don't see much of this in the mainstream media in the US, I would tell you that this is the norm. This is not meant to be a political statement, but MSM tends to act more as a court jester than a diligent reporter. If you want to know what is going on in the world, and want hard questions to be addressed, you really need to look elsewhere than the MSM. Most of what you will get from the MSM is standard press releases from governments. Again, I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers here or start a debate, just suggesting that alternative news sources typically will offer a much deeper, fuller story of what is going on.

Old 06-03-2013   #51
MartinP

A sense of humour is still roaming the streets of Istanbul (I hope the link works)...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...13364770_n.jpg

The park redevelopment plan also includes the demolition of the Ataturk museum (what a coincidence) and it's replacement by a military-barracks and a mosque. The restrictions on what would be called 'licensed premises' in UK (restaurants and bars selling beers and wines) seems intended to reduce tourism and international interaction in Istanbul. Istanbul is already the most secular area, from what I've seen.

These small steps are continuously combined together with, for example, a reduction in the number of study places for females in professions (in 10 years there will therefore be far fewer qualified females in law and architecture), increase of religion-based 'traditional' schools in the countryside and hurdles put in the way of non-approved (by Mr.Erdogan) activities of all sorts.

The political parties in Turkey seem all very traditional, they are directed from the top down with minimal internal democracy -- as is the whole state. Ataturk did well by early 20th. century standards, but even the achievements of the republic are being constantly 'revised' in teachings these days. Of course, it is possible that I have only talked to the 'wrong' people, but this is the impression I gained, of the gradual drip-drip-drip of changes, all headed in one direction and leading to the events we see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 943220_10200705783979429_1713364770_n.jpg (43.3 KB, 13 views)

Old 06-03-2013   #52
morback
Martin N. Hinze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bellayr View Post
There is almost no coverage of these demonstrations in the American media. If you are getting information on these events please post sites on the Net that can provide information & updates.
Mostly english tweets here.

My Flickr
The Great Picnic

Old 06-03-2013   #53
Alex Krasotkin

It speaks again for the fact that monarchy is the best way of ruling the country, not "democracy" with corruption, lie and greed.

Leica M9 silver, Leica M6 Silver 0.85, Noctilux 1.0, Summilux 50/1.4 pre-asph, Summicron C 40/2, Konica Hexar AF, Rolleiflex 2.8 GX Expression, Fuji GA645

Old 06-03-2013   #54
morback
Martin N. Hinze

My Flickr
The Great Picnic

Old 06-03-2013   #55

One man One Vote One time.

Old 06-03-2013   #56
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

My heart goes to you and all protesting and risking their well-being to stand against what seems like a slow-paced usurpation of your democracy.

I hope this doesn't degenerate. A government that cuts off communications and the media cannot have the people's interests in mind, only its own.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 06-03-2013   #57
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Krasotkin View Post
It speaks again for the fact that monarchy is the best way of ruling the country, not "democracy" with corruption, lie and greed.
Monarchy = Anarchy = Dictatorship

Keith’s Gallery

Old 06-03-2013   #58
Vics

My wife and I are old, so we read the newspaper and watch the TV news here in the US. We have seen coverage of all of this on CBS news and PBS News Hour and in the SF Chronicle and our local daily. It's not true that it's getting no coverage, but in tornado season, things like the massive destruction of lives and homes move to the "top story" position. I also heard extensive coverage on France-Info radio.

My Flickr

Old 06-03-2013   #59
back alley
IMAGES

hard to believe this is a PHOTO FORUM at times...

xt20...xe2...xe1...
16...23...23...27...50...56...55-200

original canon F1...T90...24/2.8...100/2.8...200/2.8...300/5.6

Old 06-03-2013   #60
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
Photography, as a personal expression, journalistic, is universal in its reach. It has deep rich meanings historically and culturally around the globe.

Keith’s Gallery

Old 06-03-2013   #61
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
Hard to believe a gear forum is a photo forum at times, true. More often than not, lately.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.

Old 06-04-2013   #62
smbilgin

Hello everybody.

Link is updated with last night's actions.

http://occupygezipics.tumblr.com

Flickr Portfolio

Old 06-04-2013   #63
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbilgin View Post
Hello everybody.

Link is updated with last night's actions.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-04-2013   #64
taylan
Street Dog

Hi everybody
I am still OK Mustafa is informing you about the recent situation. Thank you for your effort Mustafa.
Hi Martin. I think we start to save some money for a digital camera . I have all format cameras from matchbox pinhole to large format but I don't have a digital camera even a point and shot or iPhone. It is very ironic. I feel my self as an idiot nowadays. I have to "find" a digital camera

Also I manage to go my film dealer, bought 4 rolls of Tri-x and started to burn it. Even I burnt 3 rolls of it.

Anyway I just want to say I am OK.
I wish an independent life for you
Under the cobblestones, the beach.

Old 06-04-2013   #65
MartinP

Hi Taylan, I think you meant Morback not me (different Martins) but 'I have to "find" a digital camera' ?!?! Things must be serious.

Really, I know 'things' are very serious. Everybody be careful.

In my town tomorrow we have a support meeting. Nothing to offer but friendly words and pictures unfortunately, but I'll post something in this thread if I may. There are just under 300 people confirmed (including town-councillors and police officials, out of uniform), with another 3200 invited.

Have a stable night.

Old 06-04-2013   #66
Stelios

Again, stay safe all.

Thanks for the links and the info. I've seen a lot been shared around the internet.

It's good to see someone resisting, bad to see them getting hurt.

Take good care!

Old 06-04-2013   #67
luplup7

Well, I couldnt log into the forum in the last days and I would like to mention a couple of things.

Although the demonstration started in taksim, it spread to whole country, more than 40 provinces are standing up against the police forces.

There are many people wounded, some serious. So far 2 people were killed, one was shot from his head by a REAL bullet, there are many rumors about the other one so I can't say anything definite.

I was in Besiktas for the last 2 days, which is very close to Taksim, and the "battle" moved to besiktas. There were brutal attacks done by the police in cross streets, there is no way to describe it. please take no offense, but it was like gas chambers in those streets, and the people who were caught were arrested and tortured in police offices.

I will be adding some photos soon,

from turkey, with love

#direngeziparkı #direnbesiktas

Old 06-04-2013   #68
taylan
Street Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
Hi Taylan, I think you meant Morback not me (different Martins) but 'I have to "find" a digital camera' ?!?! Things must be serious.

Really, I know 'things' are very serious. Everybody be careful.

In my town tomorrow we have a support meeting. Nothing to offer but friendly words and pictures unfortunately, but I'll post something in this thread if I may. There are just under 300 people confirmed (including town-councillors and police officials, out of uniform), with another 3200 invited.

Have a stable night.
Hi Martin. Sorry you are right I meant Morback. Also Thank you for your supporting meeting. I think it is very important to make an awareness. I think the number of attendance is not important. For instance protest in here is just started around 50 people. Wondering your photos Also keep in safe
See you soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by luplup7 View Post

I will be adding some photos soon,

from turkey, with love

#direngeziparkı #direnbesiktas
Hi luplup7
First of all welcome to RFF, this great forum. Wondering your images also.
May be we will come across tomorrow.
Keep in safe

Old 06-04-2013   #69
smbilgin

Hi everybody,

I think every RFF members in Istanbul survived last night. Me, Taylan, Simon, Martin, luplup7... So we have another day ahead

Taksim is now a festival field but clashes still going on at different areas. Especially in the other cities...

Last night update: In Izmir, police arrested 26 people because of social media usage. They claimed that those people are provocating the public via Facebook and Twitter. Probably this will spread. We'll see.

Today the two major union declared one day strike. But it is expected to turn into a general strike if the government doesn't back down.

Tomorrow the PM is going to be back to the country and we will see what happens.

We thank all of you for your support. Also the demonstrations that take place all around the world are highly appreciated and will never be forgotten.

Flickr Portfolio

Old 06-04-2013   #70
jonmanjiro

Mustafa, it will be interesting to see how Erdogan responds. What are the people's expectations of him? Will they only be happy if he resigns?

Anyway, to all our members there please stay safe!

Old 06-04-2013   #71
p.giannakis

You have the support and solidarity of Greek people to your fight for freedom.
A sea separates us, dignity unites us.

Old 06-04-2013   #72
tom.w.bn

What a silly pattern that's mainly used by dictators all over the world: responsible for protests are outisde forces and social media. With that statement and with his actions the PM positioned himself among the not well respected leaders in the world.

Old 06-04-2013   #73
smbilgin

Hi Jon,

The expectation is of course resign. But this will not happen. So I think we have to define some relistic and achievable demands after this one week resistence. Tomorrow morning there will be a meeting with protestors representetives and government authorities. We'll see.

Hi p.giannakis,
I totally agree with you. We are sick of this facist politics and politicians. We share almost the same culture. We feel the same cheer and the same pain.
I was a university student 20 years ago. There was an unbeliavble solidarity between Greek and Turkish students back in the day. When we were violated, they demonstrated, when they were violated, we demonstrated. No internet, no quick communications. I hope we can find a sustainable way to support each other and hope to unite one day as free people.

Flickr Portfolio

Old 06-05-2013   #74
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Please be careful, guys:
http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/201...-freedoms.html

Old 06-05-2013   #75
sanmich

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylan View Post
Under the cobblestones, the beach.
sous les paves, la plage! (may '68)

and also:

Il est interdit d'interdire (tis forbidden to forbid)

and many many more...

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site

Old 06-05-2013   #76
sanmich

targeting social media and people using it...that really smells of fascism.
they try to kill the messenger as it seems...

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site

Old 06-06-2013   #77
smbilgin

The PM is coming back to Turkey tonight. He talked to press today in Tunusia and said the same things.... "I will do whatever I want, bla bla boa... You are not allowed to do anything that I don't like.... bla bla bla... We will demolish the park... bla bla bla..."

So it seems the resistance goes on...

The link is updated...

Flickr Portfolio

Old 06-06-2013   #78
smbilgin

Another site full of resistance photos...

http://www.kodacollective.com/occupy-gezi

Flickr Portfolio

Old 06-07-2013   #79
smbilgin

The symbol women of the resistance...

http://www.milliyet.com.tr/fotogaler...olu-kadinlar/1

Flickr Portfolio

Old 06-07-2013   #80
noimmunity
scratch my niche

From the demonstration in solidarity with protesters in Turkey today in Lyon, France. Taken with DP1M and X-Pro1.

All united against fascism by areality4all, on Flickr

A message to Erdogan by areality4all, on Flickr

Turkish students discuss plans for protest by areality4all, on Flickr

The face of police brutality by areality4all, on Flickr

SDIM0372-small by areality4all, on Flickr

flickr
Flickr