Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Simon Says -- SimonSawSunlight Photo Technique

Simon Says -- SimonSawSunlight Photo Technique From time to time its been suggested that RFF have a mentor Photography help section in terms of Technique - how to shoot this or that. 1st of all I had to find someone whose work I really like. 2ndly that photog had to be willing help others. That's the catch: so many excellent photogs just are not wiling to make the time for that, or just as likely, simply don't give a damn about helping others. SimonSawSunlight is an excellent up and coming photog whose work seems to go well beyond his 24 years.

You can view Simon's work at http://www.simonbephotography.com/  and www.facebook.com/simonbphotography Simon has been published in in FAZ (Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung), LFI (Leica Fotografie International) and more recently in Radiate Magazine. He also recently had a large solo-exhibition in Berlin. Not too Shabby! So, let us begin this adventure and see where it goes. Thank for taking this on Simon!

an absolute statement
Old 05-22-2013   #1
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

an absolute statement

i think the only things that ultimately matter in photography are timing and perspective. everything else is opinion (or nostalgia... or masturbation... or...).

i'm saying this, but i also think that absolute statements like the above are always just a means to convey an idea (or maybe to bring one's feet back to the ground) and should not be taken too seriously in all their absoluteness. i like (intelligent) radical statements though. and now i'm just blabbering.

Old 05-22-2013   #2
helenhill
a Click in Time...

Absolute Truth , Nothing Absolute ... in All things
Seeing & Timing Create the Purrfect state of 'Shooting'

Old 05-22-2013   #3
robklurfield
eclipse

while sounding absolute -semantically and linguistically -- your statement leaves lots of wiggle room for (mis)interpretation. that said, I mostly agree. so, keep on blabbering.

blog: http://hemi-sphericalaberration.blogspot.com/

google +: gplus.to/robklurfield

"I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody
outside of a small circle of friends." - Phil Ochs

"His photos are saturated with obviousness, mental inertia, clichés and bad jokes." -http://www.500letters.org/form_15.php

I point. I shoot. sometimes, I focus first.

Old 05-22-2013   #4
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robklurfield View Post
your statement leaves lots of wiggle room for (mis)interpretation.
yes! that's the beauty of it, isn't it?

Old 05-22-2013   #5
gns

Someone agrees with you...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7SXO91sR8g

There are other things of course and they can be important. But these 2 really determine more than anything else, what your picture is going to look like.

Old 05-22-2013   #6
bonatto
looking out

Ultimately....

But what constructs the perspective, and what instigates the timing?

Ultimately, would the only thing that matters not be our own selves?

Old 05-22-2013   #7
Richard G

Rutherford said science is either physics, or stamp collecting. And then got the Nobel Prize for chemistry.

Old 05-22-2013   #8
zuiko85

If you are having fun with your hobby (or job, if photography pays the bills), then what do definitions matter?

I'm a lousy photographer but I love to tinker with photographic equipment and bits and pieces. I "see" in a box of photo related junk an invention or contraption or some such thing. I love things that can do double duty. If I can get it cheap, like 25 cents to a buck, I'll buy photographic stuff to stash away just because I see some invention in my mind.

This is where I'm coming from. Probably does not mean anything to anyone else but so what, I'm having fun.

Old 05-22-2013   #9
Sparrow

... it's geometry

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 05-22-2013   #10
thegman

I'd add 'subject matter' to the mix in there.

Old 05-22-2013   #11
helenhill
a Click in Time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
... it's geometry
Ha, I like that Stewart !!!
and to further Speculate
Geometry in Motion
With a Click of the Shutter

Old 05-22-2013   #12
Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Ha, I like that Stewart !!!
and to further Speculate
Geometry in Motion
With a Click of the Shutter

The accumulation of points and an exploration of the voids that separate them, in both space and over time … images of shape and form in their homeland the birthplace of geometry, trapped by the genius of photography into thin wafers, planes of reality, time held forever on the printed page. The incongruity of dimensions compressed, constrained yet still perceived … time and shape recognised as a reality of sorts, portrayed by shade and light, shadow and violent sunlight as a mirage of an alternative reality.

A surfeit of time … or more properly, the absence of urgency found in the idleness, the oppression, of the Hellenic summer promoting idle contention, speculation. The geometry of inconsequential things … the art of the ordinary, connected by lines of idle imagination, as did changeless constellations converging in ancient minds. The beauty of the ordinary, of the everyday, mapped-out by the camera into simple plan … here for others to unpack, be re-projected by other minds to new perceptions of the same instant, the same thin slice of time, re-projected onto endless realities.

... bit verbose at the moment, something I'm working on but it needs a good edit

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

flickr stuff

Old 05-22-2013   #13
Exdsc
-

Photography is ultimately all about:

'I saw this scene, in the confine of this focal length, in this lighting condition and then I processed the file in this way and now look at it and tell me what you think or feel.'

Photography might not be geometry but photography is a science of visual communication - not art, "Art is creating something out of nothing" -Daido Moriyama - photography is copying what is already out there. You can only photograph what is, not what could be or what was.

Old 05-22-2013   #14
robklurfield
eclipse

absolutely!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSawSunlight View Post
yes! that's the beauty of it, isn't it?

blog: http://hemi-sphericalaberration.blogspot.com/

google +: gplus.to/robklurfield

"I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody
outside of a small circle of friends." - Phil Ochs

"His photos are saturated with obviousness, mental inertia, clichés and bad jokes." -http://www.500letters.org/form_15.php

I point. I shoot. sometimes, I focus first.

Old 05-22-2013   #15
Contarama

Controlling contrast is most important. Composition is next. Then you have to get the timing right. There you have it all...almost.

This is what I have heard about "it"...

Old 05-22-2013   #16
tuanvinh2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdsc View Post
Photography is ultimately all about:

'I saw this scene, in the confine of this focal length, in this lighting condition and then I processed the file in this way and now look at it and tell me what you think or feel.'

Photography might not be geometry but photography is a science of visual communication - not art, "Art is creating something out of nothing" -Daido Moriyama - photography is copying what is already out there. You can only photograph what is, not what could be or what was.
I believe with composition you can create something out of nothing. I have seen magical power of seeing from members here that it's totally out of ordinary things. It drives me to keep trying to convey my own vision of the daily life.

Old 05-22-2013   #17

i think different photographers
bring a different "perspective"
into it, for HCB, i think it was
geometry and add a dash of
decisive moment.

So perspective and timing as you said.

Old 05-22-2013   #18
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
i think the only things that ultimately matter in photography are timing and perspective. everything else is opinion (or nostalgia... or masturbation... or...).

i'm saying this, but i also think that absolute statements like the above are always just a means to convey an idea (or maybe to bring one's feet back to the ground) and should not be taken too seriously in all their absoluteness. i like (intelligent) radical statements though. and now i'm just blabbering.

All photos tell a story.
Photos must tell a story.
Digital is rubbish.
Film is for hipsters.
Rangefinders are for masochists.
All professionals use expensive SLRs.

etc etc

In an era of "best -insert noun- ever", "this is epic!" and "absolutely a-mey-zing!" being thrown gratuitously, absolutes are absolutely and epically meaningless. More of an indicator of bias and tunnel vision. Like, always.

There is only one rule: all absolutes are absolutely wrong. Always

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 05-22-2013   #19
OurManInTangier
An Undesirable

I always thought it was about the cat

| SLP: Work website

Old 05-22-2013   #20
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel M.A. View Post
There is only one rule: all absolutes are absolutely wrong. Always
Except in Mathematics, the domain of provable truths. Only in Mathematics can you prove that a theorem is true, absolutely and forever.

G

Old 05-22-2013   #21
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Like when sin(x)/x when x = 0, then sin(x)/x = 1, because 0/0 = 1 !

Details and facts notwithstanding

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 05-23-2013   #22
Richard G

Quote:
The accumulation of points and an exploration of the voids that separate them, in both space and over time … images of shape and form in their homeland the birthplace of geometry, trapped by the genius of photography into thin wafers, planes of reality, time held forever on the printed page. The incongruity of dimensions compressed, constrained yet still perceived … time and shape recognised as a reality of sorts, portrayed by shade and light, shadow and violent sunlight as a mirage of an alternative reality.

A surfeit of time … or more properly, the absence of urgency found in the idleness, the oppression, of the Hellenic summer promoting idle contention, speculation. The geometry of inconsequential things … the art of the ordinary, connected by lines of idle imagination, as did changeless constellations converging in ancient minds. The beauty of the ordinary, of the everyday, mapped-out by the camera into simple plan … here for others to unpack, be re-projected by other minds to new perceptions of the same instant, the same thin slice of time, re-projected onto endless realities.

... bit verbose at the moment, something I'm working on but it needs a good edit
Quite beautiful Stewart. And from a man who decries the looks of the M5.

Old 05-23-2013   #23
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Quote:

Sorry Stewart,

after treading this bit I completely missed the rest of your post while thinking it over, and liking it!

Taking it with me today while out shooting, thanks!

Old 05-23-2013   #24
Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Quite beautiful Stewart. And from a man who decries the looks of the M5.
... there is possibly a reason for that

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

flickr stuff

Old 05-23-2013   #25
lynnb

+1 on your lovely prose, Stewart.

Photography is ideas - one mind to create, others to listen and interpret.

Old 05-23-2013   #26
Bille

Quote:
i think the only things that ultimately matter in photography are timing and perspective. (...) i also think that absolute statements like the above (...) should not be taken too seriously in all their absoluteness. i like (intelligent) radical statements though. and now i'm just blabbering.
How to Start a Conversation When You Have Nothing to Talk About
http://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-Conve...-to-Talk-About

Old 05-23-2013   #27
Sparrow

... thanks chaps, its the Preface for a portfolio I'm trying print at the moment, well more faffing with than printing ... it's been a work in progress for about three years now

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

flickr stuff

Old 05-23-2013   #28
Exdsc
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanvinh2000 View Post
I believe with composition you can create something out of nothing. I have seen magical power of seeing from members here that it's totally out of ordinary things. It drives me to keep trying to convey my own vision of the daily life.
Composition or framing?

In my limited knowledge, composing is putting things together to create something, with photography isn't it more about "framing" than composition?

Old 05-23-2013   #29
Richard G

Quote:
Composition or framing?

In my limited knowledge, composing is putting things together to create something, with photography isn't it more about "framing" than composition?
No.

Where you stand, what you align, the height of the camera and the angle at which you hold it and the exposure and the development and a number of other things will all affect what is recorded within the frame. Composition it truly is.

Old 05-23-2013   #30
Kozhe

Just my 2 cents, but I think any statement on art is futile. Even more in these days of consumer and digital society.

But anyway, I´ve always been on a very neantherthal side when it´s about art philosophies

Old 05-23-2013   #31
Exdsc
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
No.

Where you stand, what you align, the height of the camera and the angle at which you hold it and the exposure and the development and a number of other things will all affect what is recorded within the frame. Composition it truly is.
I don't have an artistic background and in fact I cannot draw anything, so I wouldn't know. But when I look at some of the classic paintings, its mind boggling how the artist put everything just right, to me that is composition.

Maybe photography is more like framing a composition?

Old 05-23-2013   #32
Sparrow

Quote:
I don't have an artistic background and in fact I cannot draw anything, so I wouldn't know. But when I look at some of the classic paintings, its mind boggling how the artist put everything just right, to me that is composition.

Maybe photography is more like framing a composition?
When drawing or painting one chooses what to put in, when photographing one must choose what to leave out ... it's quite different

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

flickr stuff

Old 05-23-2013   #33
Exdsc
-

Quote:
When drawing or painting one chooses what to put in, when photographing one must choose what to leave out ... it's quite different
Composing is putting stuff in the canvas; framing, leaving stuff outside.

So, when it comes to photography its framing?

Old 05-23-2013   #34
gns

Quote:
They are different but one can choose to leave things in or out with either process (to degree).
What really makes them different is that drawing and painting are cumulative (you make one mark and then can decide what comes next based on that. But taking a photograph is instantaneous (it is all put together at once).

Composition, subject, etc. are dependent on perspective (where you point the camera) and timing (when you push the button), which is why the op's "absolute statement" has validity.

Old 05-23-2013   #35
Sparrow

Quote:
Composing is putting stuff in the canvas; framing, leaving stuff outside.

So, when it comes to photography its framing?
No with photography one is dealing with negative space, the creative drive is exclusive ... with painting or drawing it's a matter of including that which is needed to display ones concept to others

Quote:
Originally Posted by gns View Post
They are different but one can choose to leave things in or out with either process (to degree).
What really makes them different is that drawing and painting are cumulative (you make one mark and then can decide what comes next based on that. But taking a photograph is instantaneous (it is all put together at once).

Composition, subject, etc. are dependent on perspective (where you point the camera) and timing (when you push the button), which is why the op's "absolute statement" has validity.
Not really, I have a concept then work toward it, the concept is as instant as a photograph ... do you paint or draw btw?

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

flickr stuff

Old 05-23-2013   #36
gns

Quote:
Not really, I have a concept then work toward it, the concept is as instant as a photograph ... do you paint or draw btw?
Yes, really...not lately.

Old 05-23-2013   #37
Sparrow

Quote:
Yes, really...not lately.
... commercial artist for forty odd years myself

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

flickr stuff

Old 05-23-2013   #38
Peter Wijninga

This site has a high tolerance for blabbering. Carry on.

Old 05-23-2013   #39
gns

Quote:
... commercial artist for forty odd years myself
and...?

Look, you don't have to be a painter (or a photographer) to observe that in painting you put the marks down one at a time (and can make decisions & changes as you go), and in photography, you make them all at once (and finally).

Are you saying that you plan out every brush stroke in your head beforehand and then simply execute that plan?

Old 05-23-2013   #40
Sparrow

Quote:
and...?

Look, you don't have to be a painter (or a photographer) to observe that in painting you put the marks down one at a time (and can make decisions & changes as you go), and in photography, you make them all at once (and finally).

Are you saying that you plan out every brush stroke in your head beforehand and then simply execute that plan?
... fine believe what you like ... you clearly don't need any advice

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

flickr stuff