Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Simon Says -- SimonSawSunlight Photo Technique

Simon Says -- SimonSawSunlight Photo Technique From time to time its been suggested that RFF have a mentor Photography help section in terms of Technique - how to shoot this or that. 1st of all I had to find someone whose work I really like. 2ndly that photog had to be willing help others. That's the catch: so many excellent photogs just are not wiling to make the time for that, or just as likely, simply don't give a damn about helping others. SimonSawSunlight is an excellent up and coming photog whose work seems to go well beyond his 24 years.

You can view Simon's work at http://www.simonbephotography.com/  and www.facebook.com/simonbphotography Simon has been published in in FAZ (Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung), LFI (Leica Fotografie International) and more recently in Radiate Magazine. He also recently had a large solo-exhibition in Berlin. Not too Shabby! So, let us begin this adventure and see where it goes. Thank for taking this on Simon!

Old 05-02-2013   #41
Bike Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i produce images that i like...on a consistent basis...i rarely get any solid feedback and seem to not have much impact with my images...wouldn't that stop you?
I hear you. You know, at it's heart, photography is a spectator sport I suppose there are those who take pictures, never show them to anyone, and keep them in a box (or on a computer). But it really demands an audience. In the old days there were local camera clubs where you could show your work and see that of others with critiques and lots of interaction.

Now, in the digital age, there is more oportunity for your work to be seen. But most sites seem to be mutual admiration societies. You say something nice about my picture and I'll reciprocate. I guess there's nothing wrong with that.

For me, if it weren't for microstock I might not be making many images. It is a way to validate (or not) what you're doing and generate some cash for that next equipment purchase. However, their acceptance and usage policies tend to discourage real creativity or experimentation. I have been transformed from a watercolorist into a draftsman.

(Still a lot of fun, though.)

Stock Portfolio:
http://www.shutterstock.com/g/biketourist

Old 05-02-2013   #42
Sparrow

Quote:
i produce images that i like...on a consistent basis...i rarely get any solid feedback and seem to not have much impact with my images...wouldn't that stop you?
... that's the price you pay for being competent and consistent I think ... better that than shallow compliment

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 05-02-2013   #43
riise

the one real limitation a human being faces is her or himself.

you only have 15 minutes, create the mindset in yourself to make every one of those 15 count.

to the gentleman with the new baby, Congratulation! have you thought about doing a family portrait series? I am always astonished and moved by how a father or mother is able to photograph their own child. You are present for the most tender and raw moments. That is an enviable advantage!

if you don't own a particular lens or camera you think you need, work with what you have and treat it with respect because it is the tool of your craft and ONLY as capable as you.

and you have to be honest with yourself as to why do photography. you may never be praised or congratulated and it may be too personal an endeavor for you; however, that should not be discouraging because there is tremendous value to what you do. the things you've seen, have left an impression and been a part of your life. Honor that!

Old 05-02-2013   #44
anjoca76

I wish I had more time to develop film. I can find the time to shoot, but I get backlogged.

My one goal is always to be more courageous and get closer to my subjects. I want to do more portraiture.

As for feedback, my feeling is that you can post just about anything and everyone online will say, "Nice shot!" But if you post it and ask for critique you will get a whole bunch of criticism. I'm not saying either is wrong, but I do find that interesting.

Just because no one comments doesn't mean they don't like your image(s). I see photos here every day that blow me away, yet I rarely comment. Maybe I should comment more.

Flickr

Old 05-02-2013   #45
Mcary

Quote:
Originally Posted by finguanzo View Post
talent......?

+1

Keep looking for it at B&H and Adorama but so far no luck
Not work safe

Old 05-02-2013   #46
grapejohnson

College. Although I don't let it hinder me too much, because I usually have a camera with me all the time. And, summer break just started. I just tend to get more of a queue of films to be developed when I'm in school.

Old 05-02-2013   #47
angelog
formerly agianelo

Confidence.......with my abilities
Drive................to make time for my hobby
Patience............when I find opportunities to photograph
Reluctance........to share or ask for a critique

This forum is good therapy, however.

Angelo

Old 05-02-2013   #48
johnwolf

Agree with Helen: over-thinking. Plus, a stifling aspiration to High Art -- whatever that is.

John

Old 05-02-2013   #49
wintoid
Gone digital

I don't push the shutter enough.

I've just been out for a lunchtime walk. I'm lucky enough to work in London, and there's a lot to see. I walked to Spitalfields market and back again. Didn't press the shutter once.

On the face of it, I went out to shoot pictures. In practice I often end up with a nice walk!

It's different with my kids, though. I take a lot of pictures of them, some of which I cherish.

Old 05-02-2013   #50
Exdsc
-

Subject fatigue.

There is a limit to how many times one can photograph the same streets and shops and people who pass by there or work there.

Old 05-03-2013   #51
gb hill

My biggest hindrance is myself. For one: I carry a camera with me but I often go days without taking a single photo. I discourage myself to easily. I have aspirations but it seems, for the moment are only daydreams. I know I need to make my dreams into creating reality...but when.

Old 05-03-2013   #52
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSawSunlight View Post
is there anything that stops / hinders you from producing the kind of photography you would like to? if so, what is it?
Motivation. Lack of photographically-minded friends.

Although motivation is #1. It doesn't seem like anybody really is interested in the kind of photography I produce, so it's difficult to be motivated. And due to lack of motivation, I now hardly produce anything anybody would be interested in. A nice little feeding circle.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 05-03-2013   #54
hipsterdufus
Photographer?

Like everyone else: time and money. I want to create grandiose, surreal, moving imagery that draws a lot from movies (see the slow-mo opening from "Melancholia" for an example of what I'm talking about). However, movie producers have much deeper pockets than I do. Plus set designers, prop manager, lighting assistants, etc. I have to be all of those when I want to do a shoot with a model.

Old 05-03-2013   #55
grapejohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipsterdufus View Post
Like everyone else: time and money. I want to create grandiose, surreal, moving imagery that draws a lot from movies (see the slow-mo opening from "Melancholia" for an example of what I'm talking about). However, movie producers have much deeper pockets than I do. Plus set designers, prop manager, lighting assistants, etc. I have to be all of those when I want to do a shoot with a model.
I also am very inspired by cinema, and want all of my pictures to look either like "The Seventh Seal" or "Fallen Angels"

Old 05-03-2013   #56
hipsterdufus
Photographer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapejohnson View Post
I also am very inspired by cinema, and want all of my pictures to look either like "The Seventh Seal" or "Fallen Angels"
Oh man, I love "The Seventh Seal". One of the most beautiful, awe-inspiring movies of all time. Also an inspiration for my photography. I haven't seen "Fallen Angels". I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Old 05-03-2013   #57
grapejohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipsterdufus View Post
Oh man, I love "The Seventh Seal". One of the most beautiful, awe-inspiring movies of all time. Also an inspiration for my photography. I haven't seen "Fallen Angels". I'll have to check it out. Thanks.
Directed by Wang Kar-Wai. It's on Netflix.

Old 05-03-2013   #58
gb hill

Currently reading this.

Old 05-03-2013   #59
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb hill View Post
Currently reading this.
Excellent book. Read it often.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories & Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 05-03-2013   #60
biomed

Quote:
Joe - I took a photo class earlier this year. The textbook used was The Tao of Photography by Philippe L. Gross & S. I. Shapiro. In a chapter titled "Barriers to Seeing" the number 1 barrier to seeing was the need to conform and win approval. I found this to be a hard habit to overcome and still struggle with it. This desire to fit in can really strangle creativity. I just checked out your blog. You are a talented and creative photographer. If your images only please you, then so be it. Be passionate and shoot what you feel. Sometimes photos are just images, but wow, when you create an image that sings to you, that is art! Keep shooting my friend.

Mike

p.s. Thank you Simon.

2016 Photos

rff Gallery

Blog

Old 05-03-2013   #61
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Currently reading this.
Ordered. Thanks.

Cheers,

R.

Old 05-03-2013   #62
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomed View Post
Joe - I took a photo class earlier this year. The textbook used was The Tao of Photography by Philippe L. Gross & S. I. Shapiro. In a chapter titled "Barriers to Seeing" the number 1 barrier to seeing was the need to conform and win approval. I found this to be a hard habit to overcome and still struggle with it. This desire to fit in can really strangle creativity. I just checked out your blog. You are a talented and creative photographer. If your images only please you, then so be it. Be passionate and shoot what you feel. Sometimes photos are just images, but wow, when you create an image that sings to you, that is art! Keep shooting my friend.

Mike

p.s. Thank you Simon.
i don't think it's approval or the need to conform...i get a fair amount of positive feedback from non photographers and it is enjoyable...what i miss is feedback from people who shoot with a similar intent as mine...to create.

'I just checked out your blog. You are a talented and creative photographer.'

that's very nice to hear...and it validates my efforts...much appreciated.

xe2...xe1...16...23...27...56...55-200

original canon F1...T90...24/2.8...100/2.8...200/2.8...300/5.6

Old 05-03-2013   #63
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
....I carry a camera with me but I often go days without taking a single photo....
There is nothing wrong with this, Greg. I often go WEEKS without shooting anything! I carry a camera everywhere, but do not care if I do or don't use it. I shoot only when I see something that interests me, in the light I like, etc. The ability to pass things by if the light, weather, etc. is not perfect is one most photographers do not have, and it makes the difference in my opinion.

Back home again in Indiana

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Technical Info pages: Film Developing times, scanning, printing, editing.

Buy My Prints in RFF Classifieds

Support My Work on Patreon

Old 05-03-2013   #64
benlees

I have too many ideas. Therefore, things are spread thin, and more likely than not, abandoned before "finished"!

Old 05-03-2013   #65
zsas

More time...

Old 05-04-2013   #66
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
There is nothing wrong with this, Greg. I often go WEEKS without shooting anything! I carry a camera everywhere, but do not care if I do or don't use it. I shoot only when I see something that interests me, in the light I like, etc. The ability to pass things by if the light, weather, etc. is not perfect is one most photographers do not have, and it makes the difference in my opinion.
Dear Chris,

Seconded, in every word.

Cheers,

R.

Old 05-04-2013   #67
Charlie Lemay

Nothing. I photograph every week wherever I am and always get something worth the effort to me. I don't worry about pleasing others, only seeing what I see. Being in the moment and seeing what is actually in front of me rather than what I am expected to see is the real prize for me. The image is just the record of that seeing. I like finding the extraordinary within the ordinary.

Old 05-04-2013   #68
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Rangefinderforum, apug, etc.

Old 05-04-2013   #69
mdarnton

I don't know that it's a "hindrance", but I've set very tight limitations on what I'm interested in photographing, so I don't push the button a lot. I've narrowed it down to family, friends, and people at my shop (co-workers and customers)--that is, only people I know--and no cliche photos or unnecessary repeats (only one good representational photo of each person, except for my wife, usually, though I can keep trying for a better one).

Old 05-04-2013   #70
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by riise View Post
the one real limitation a human being faces is her or himself.

you only have 15 minutes, create the mindset in yourself to make every one of those 15 count.

to the gentleman with the new baby, Congratulation! have you thought about doing a family portrait series? I am always astonished and moved by how a father or mother is able to photograph their own child. You are present for the most tender and raw moments. That is an enviable advantage!

if you don't own a particular lens or camera you think you need, work with what you have and treat it with respect because it is the tool of your craft and ONLY as capable as you.

and you have to be honest with yourself as to why do photography. you may never be praised or congratulated and it may be too personal an endeavor for you; however, that should not be discouraging because there is tremendous value to what you do. the things you've seen, have left an impression and been a part of your life. Honor that!
The above are good points.

There have been legions of reasons offered as to why we cannot do what we want to do photographically. In the end, we can't do what we want to do because we allow other things to stop us.

Two questions:
1 - Are you blind or vision impaired?
2 - Do you own a camera and a lens?

Provided your answer to #1 is no and the answer to #2 is yes, what is stopping you? Two things: Not making our photography a priority and self imposed limitations.

To quote Napoleon Hill-
“There are no limitations to the mind except those that we acknowledge.”
And -
"The starting point of all achievement is desire. Weak desire brings weak results.”

The cynical will dismiss these words as mere platitudes and Pollyanna naivety - and that is exactly the kind of thinking that holds them back in photography and in life.

Photography, like any artistic pursuit, is not an easy path. It is an uphill battle. It is hard work. It requires dedication, sacrifice and commitment. It is very difficult to make money in photography these days - particularly if you try to do it by marching to your own drummer rather than doing the bidding of paying clients.

So what??

If you love photography, do it anyway.

And read this book: http://www.amazon.com/War-Art-Throug.../dp/1936891026 It has been a great help to many an artist.

I will close with this bit of truth brought to us by Calvin Coolidge:
Quote:
“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.”

Old 05-04-2013   #71
furbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapejohnson View Post
Directed by Wang Kar-Wai. It's on Netflix.
The look to many of his movies is breathtaking. My personal favorite is "In The Mood For Love," those scenes in the rain at night...

As I seem to have abandoned my DSLR for 120 film, I now take far fewer photos. Mostly my lack of patience and curiosity is holding me back from getting the photos I want. Too often I settle for good when going deeper would lead to great.

found a chair beside a window
found a place where i belong

Old 05-27-2013   #72
FTography
Contains Sarcasm

Fewer times than I'd like, I can truly convey what I envisioned to the viewer of my shots. At least based on the feedback (or lack thereof) that I receive.

Old 05-27-2013   #73
henri klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSawSunlight View Post
is there anything that stops / hinders you from producing the kind of photography you would like to? if so, what is it?
Nothing. Why do you ask?

Old 05-27-2013   #74
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Currently reading this.
Thanks very much indeed for the recommendation for Art & Fear. I am reading it much more slowly than I normally read because it's a fascinating combination of "Of course!" and "Why didn't I see that before?" A BRILLIANT book.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited by Roger Hicks : 05-27-2013 at 14:32. Reason: rhetoric

Old 05-27-2013   #75
helenhill
a Click in Time...

Three Things....
Me, Myself & I

Old 05-27-2013   #76
domagojs

mainly, lack of any talent, dedication or focus. and then some other minor things... though, i do like to think that my next lens will compensate for all that ;-)

Old 05-29-2013   #77
Dirk

Being uncomfortable to take pictures of strangers is what bugs me the most about myself as a photographer.

Old 05-29-2013   #78
gliderbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Thanks very much indeed for the recommendation for Art & Fear. I am reading it much more slowly than I normally read because it's a fascinating combination of "Of course!" and "Why didn't I see that before?" A BRILLIANT book.

Cheers,

R.
Don't forgot the sequel: "A view from the studio door". I've read A&F there times now, and I keep repeating it.

Stefan

Old 05-29-2013   #79
Dirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralowid View Post
...too many lenses and a stubborn adherence to film.
Wish there were more people with that stubborn adherence.

Old 05-30-2013   #80
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Exposure.

I knew it at the ad-lib level, but it just sinked-in recently that I had to work on it, instead of waiting for it to happen by itself.