Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Film vs Digital

Film vs Digital Discussions about the relative advantages and disadvantages of Film vs Digital are important as they can help us understand our choices as photographers. Each medium has strengths and weaknesses which can best be used in a given circumstance. While this makes for an interesting and useful discussion, DO NOT attack others who disagree with you. Forum rules are explained in the RFF FAQ linked at the top of each page.

View Poll Results: Which has more sex appeal: film or digital?
Film has more sex appeal 246 95.35%
Digital has more sex appeal 12 4.65%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

More sex appeal: film or digital?
Old 04-10-2013   #1
tsiklonaut

More sex appeal: film or digital?

So I have made up the ultimate question to end the digital vs analog riddle once and for all:

Which of them has more sex appeal?

Please answer honestly and let your true feelings show.

Female photographer's opinions are especially welcome on the issue since it gives that final "spice" (for a lack of a better word) for the riddle to sort itself out

PS: all things being equal, if you're gay or lesbian or in need of a third choice you can comment it here as well. All opinions are welcome.

Old 04-10-2013   #2
dave lackey

Why, film, of course...I have had more comments about the attractiveness of black and white film photos than I ever have from digital images. Even after shooting thousands more digital.

JMO...

Dave

Old 04-10-2013   #3
btgc

Uh, it depends....camera with removed lens and long lenses both have certain appearance in sexual context. It depends on you which one you prefer! I can't say which cameras or lenses - film or digital - look more appealing.

You asked, I answered!

Old 04-10-2013   #4
seakayaker1

More foreplay when using film, slower process to reach the end, and then time to re-wind when finished prior to starting with the foreplay again.

So I believe that film has much more sex appeal then digital.

Old 04-10-2013   #5
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

Using film cameras can cause a reaction in some people of bafflement, awe, consternation, wonderment, and/or confusion - all at once. Apparently there are of people out there who have never even seen film or a film camera in real life.

Some people seem to regard shooting film and developing it yourself as the modern day equivalent of being a warlock and having the ability to turn lead into gold.

It's not that complicated and does not require Harry Potter like powers - but shooting and developing film is indeed magical.

Old 04-10-2013   #6
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
Choosing between Film and Digital, I'd have to say that for me, Women have far more sex appeal than either of the others.

Old 04-11-2013   #7
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsinto View Post
Choosing between Film and Digital, I'd have to say that for me, Women have far more sex appeal than either of the others.
I'll say dittos to that!

Old 04-11-2013   #10
Nikos72

Digital is cold as ice! Film is the thing!

Old 04-11-2013   #11
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Since I like technology, I would love to say digital. The problem is that digital cameras don't really look cutting edge, they're about as stylish as a lawnmower. Film cameras may be old fashioned at this point, but at least they're still in style. There's also a "know-how" appeal to using film in kind of the same was as there is with driving stick .

Old 04-12-2013   #12
ricnak

the sex appeal comes from the person holding the camera - film or digi is irrelavent

Old 04-12-2013   #13
Photo_Smith

If based on the reaction you get from the opposite sex I'd say old film cameras can be an ice breaker.
Certainly I've found more people look ask me about my Rolleiflex than my D700. People, especially women seem to find it less threatening if you're using older technology.
Also I've been told by a woman photographer friend that cameras that you hold between your face and your subject create a barrier, so based on that a digital cameras with articulated screens should be OK-but I don't think you'll get much of a reaction to 'mid tech' cameras.

Old 04-12-2013   #14
Roger Hicks

Many people assume that a Digi-M is a 'real' (film) Leica, so you get the best of both worlds.

Cheers,

R.

Old 04-12-2013   #15
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Many people assume that a Digi-M is a 'real' (film) Leica, so you get the best of both worlds.

Cheers,

R.

However, a Digi-M means one no longer needs to deal with the odor of Hypo, something which has come up in my love live on occasion.

Neither...
Old 04-13-2013   #16
candidcameraman

Neither...

I asked my wife and her answer was "Huh Sex Appeal!? ... I don't know"

But judging by the consumer base at the Lomography stores I have visited, I'd be 20 again and I'd have a Diana around my neck cause their consumers tend to be cool and good looking early 20 something women...

However I will stick with neither because in the end great images will have more sex appeal than what was used to make them, I don't wear my cameras as jewellery - I have a watch for that

Old 04-13-2013   #17
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by candidcameraman View Post
. . . I don't wear my cameras as jewellery - I have a watch for that
You can carry the 'just a tool' argument too far. For example, I don't wear my watch as jewellery: I wear it to tell the time. But the fact that it's quite a nice watch (an old Omega Seamaster) is as relevant as the fact that my M9 is quite a nice camera.

Insofar as any camera has 'sex appeal' (which is not very far), my wife much prefers film, so she uses film Leicas...

Cheers,

R.

Old 04-13-2013   #18
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post

However, a Digi-M means one no longer needs to deal with the odor of Hypo, something which has come up in my love live on occasion.
One of our less tactful friends remarked that Frances smelled faintly of hypo one evening, after she'd been printing all day. She replied, "John! You know you should NEVER criticize a woman's choice of perfume!"

Cheers,

R.

Old 04-13-2013   #19
Setarip

Film of course. It's more hands on (ie. you need to know what you are doing all the way through) and what woman wouldn't find that more appealing?

Old 04-13-2013   #20
Photo_Smith

Quote:
One of our less tactful friends remarked that Frances smelled faintly of hypo one evening, after she'd been printing all day. She replied, "John! You know you should NEVER criticize a woman's choice of perfume!"

Cheers,

R.
Roger you're a lucky man. I prefer hypo to Channel No5 and a gallon is a lot cheaper.

Old 04-13-2013   #21
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo_Smith View Post
Roger you're a lucky man. I prefer hypo to Channel No5 and a gallon is a lot cheaper.
I've known that for 32 years, but I still appreciate the remark. So does Frances. There was also a photokina when she had to wear nail varnish in order to conceal the silver nitrate stains on her fingernails...

Cheers,

R.

Old 04-15-2013   #22
Nikon Bob
camera hunter & gatherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsinto View Post
Yea, women for sure, the other two are pretty asexual.

Bob

Old 04-18-2013   #23
Greyscale

I chose film, but that depends on which camera.

This is sexy:

Nikon FE2 with series E 50/1.8 and MD12 motor drive. by Greyscale3, on Flickr

This, not so much.

Barbie cam by Greyscale3, on Flickr

To reiterate, sexy:

Canon IVF by Greyscale3, on Flickr

Not sexy

Kraft &quot;Cheesasaurus Rex Super Slueth&quot; 110 by Greyscale3, on Flickr

My RFF Gallery

Old 04-18-2013   #24
DNG
Film Friendly

Film...

Texture
Personality
Dynamic Range that can sing
Lovely "Mid" Tones
Nikon: F2, FM2n, EM, Konica FS-1, Fuji X100T
Nikkor: 24mm f/2.8 Ais, 28mm f/3.5 Ai, 50mm f/1.4 N/Ai
Hexanon: 40mm f/1.8 AR, 57mm f/1.2 AR

Old 04-19-2013   #25
Chris101
Lazy Lytro Shooter

Yeah ... I don't really think I'd want to have sex with a camera. Being of a certain generation though, I suppose I should try it once first. Anybody got a 'how-to' article?

Old 04-21-2013   #26
Thardy

The smell of film is an aphrodisiac.

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 04-21-2013   #27
tsiklonaut

Looks like some guys still don't get the point - sex appeal doesn't mean you have to have straight-on sex with someone or some thing (), "sex appeal" is something that turns you on, something that warms your heart - purely a mental thing. Airplanes, jets, Porches, BMWs, guns, Leicas, Rollys Royce, Harleys etc etc etc - each to his/her own...

Anyways, the results of the poll are WOW in the current age of digital- and marketing hype dominanated world - I'm shocked from the fact that imbalance is that big: 5-% to 95+% for film. Looks the analog is really something for the body, heart and soul for many.

We've heard arguments for film (and they are they are very familiar for me as well! ). Now I just wonder what are the arguments that makes digital "sexy" compared to film/analog? Would love to hear those arguments as well who voted for digital. Is it the cutting edge technology, "the latest thing" factor, fast onboard CPUs, mathematical perfection in pixel distribution - "pixels that draw perfect geometric straight lines", amazing built-in software with stunning noise reduction, superb automated functions or just fun of being a mainstream consumer, etc? Would love the hear from you guys, otherwise this poll is way too one-sided. Let's keep it colourful guys'n'gals

Old 04-21-2013   #28
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiklonaut View Post
Looks like some guys still don't get the point - sex appeal doesn't mean you have to have straight-on sex with someone or some thing (), "sex appeal" is something that turns you on, something that warms your heart - purely a mental thing. Airplanes, jets, Porches, BMWs, guns, Leicas, Rollys Royce, Harleys etc etc etc - each to his/her own...

Anyways, the results of the poll are WOW in the current age of digital- and marketing hype dominanated world - I'm shocked from the fact that imbalance is that big: 5-% to 95+% for film. Looks the analog is really something for the body, heart and soul for many.

We've heard arguments for film (and they are they are very familiar for me as well! ). Now I just wonder what are the arguments that makes digital "sexy" compared to film/analog? Would love to hear those arguments as well who voted for digital. Is it the cutting edge technology, "the latest thing" factor, fast onboard CPUs, mathematical perfection in pixel distribution - "pixels that draw perfect geometric straight lines", amazing built-in software with stunning noise reduction, superb automated functions or just fun of being a mainstream consumer, etc? Would love the hear from you guys, otherwise this poll is way too one-sided. Let's keep it colourful guys'n'gals
There are those among us who think that you may be the one who is missing the point, or at least, missing out. You use your definition, and we'll use ours.

Cheers,

R.

Old 04-21-2013   #29
tsiklonaut

Quote:
There are those among us who think that you may be the one who is missing the point, or at least, missing out. You use your definition, and we'll use ours.

Cheers,

R.

I'm cool with that - it is very easy to critisize other(s), but when you do - please enlighten us or explain your reasons. I've explained my reasons for this thread above, you haven't explained yours. Please let your definitions and thoughts be voiced out if you think everything is off the mark with this thread.

Cheers,
Margus

Old 04-21-2013   #30
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiklonaut View Post
I'm cool with that - it is very easy to critisize other(s), but when you do - please enlighten us or explain your reasons. I've explained my reasons for this thread above, you haven't explained yours. Please let your definitions and thoughts be voiced out if you think everything is off the mark with this thread.

Cheers,
Margus
Dear Margus,

Um... it's humour. At least as funny as what you said about the things that turn you on. I mean: "Airplanes, jets, Porches, BMWs, guns, Leicas, Rollys Royce, Harleys etc." Check earlier in the thread and you'll see that I've already contributed some other light-hearted stuff.

Cheers,

R.

Old 04-21-2013   #31
tsiklonaut

Quote:
Dear Margus,

Um... it's humour. At least as funny as what you said about the things that turn you on. I mean: "Airplanes, jets, Porches, BMWs, guns, Leicas, Rollys Royce, Harleys etc." Check earlier in the thread and you'll see that I've already contributed some other light-hearted stuff.

Cheers,

R.
Cheers man,

I almost started to think I'm completely retarded by posting this thread - a good sense of humor always comes in handy!

Margus

Old 04-22-2013   #32
Archiver

Isn't that the reason why we all got into photography? It's all about the sex!

Old 04-22-2013   #33
Soeren

Hmm someone at APUG once had the signature
"Digital is to photography what masturbation is to making love"

Best regards

Old 05-01-2013   #34
polval

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
Hmm someone at APUG once had the signature
"Digital is to photography what masturbation is to making love"

Best regards
+1
Nicely said.

Old 05-03-2013   #35
unixrevolution

A film shooter is interested in the process, and doesn't mind taking a long time and go through a lot of effort, because the result is as important as the process and the love that went into it.

The digital shooter is most interested in achieving the best result at a minimum of cost, time, and inconvenience.

Extrapolate these two preferences into the qualities that you consider to be essential to a good lover, and you see my point

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 05-03-2013   #36
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixrevolution View Post
A film shooter is interested in the process, and doesn't mind taking a long time and go through a lot of effort, because the result is as important as the process and the love that went into it.

The digital shooter is most interested in achieving the best result at a minimum of cost, time, and inconvenience.

Extrapolate these two preferences into the qualities that you consider to be essential to a good lover, and you see my point
What is 'the process' in colour? Development is standard C41, and unless you wet print for yourself -- which is a fit hobby for masochists -- prints are 'off the shelf' too. Unless you scan, in which case, well, you've got a digital file again.

Black and white film is another matter.

Cheers,

R.

Old 05-06-2013   #37
Renato Tonelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakayaker1 View Post
More foreplay when using film, slower process to reach the end, and then time to re-wind when finished prior to starting with the foreplay again.

So I believe that film has much more sex appeal then digital.
There you have it! Might as well close the thread as far as I'm concerned.

Old 05-06-2013   #38
okto

Women don't come up and talk to me about my D300. That's all I'm saying. ^_^

Old 05-15-2013   #39
cosmonaut

Five years ago I would have said film. Go to a big event with a full frame DSLR and a flash. You will most likely get stalked.

Old 05-18-2013   #40
koven

my x100 has got me laid plenty of times