Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Voigtlander Lenses and Images

Voigtlander Lenses and Images Post threads showing images from Cosina Voigtlander Leica mount lenses here.

Old 02-04-2013   #81
pgmj

Ah, finally 0.7m close focus! My only gripe with the LTM version is the 0.9m close focus. It was annoying on the M8 and even more so on the M9. Apart from that I am extremely happy with the lens, so this is very good news!

Old 02-06-2013   #82
aizan

i'd normally gripe about the lack of focusing tab, but it is so gorgeous i don't care.

is there really no change in optical design? the bokeh on the ltm version was sometimes iffy, if i remember correctly.

Old 02-06-2013   #83
bastian a.

such an ugly lens ...

Old 02-06-2013   #84
maggieo
More Deadly

This might be the only thing to pry my C Sonnar 50/1,5 off my M9-P.

Old 02-06-2013   #85
umcelinho
Marcelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieo View Post
This might be the only thing to pry my C Sonnar 50/1,5 off my M9-P.
and that's a big statement! though i can relate with it, been shooting with a c-sonnar as my main 50 but also love the 1.5 nokton. only thing that puts me off are the onion rings / bullseye effect on bokeh... if it's "fixed" as they did on the 35/1.2 v2 then I'll really have to get myself one.

ps: love your shots on the love my c-sonnar thread
• cameras & lenses

What I've seen around: flickr

Old 02-06-2013   #86
maggieo
More Deadly

Thanks!!

I'm looking forward to seeing some photos from the Nokton, though I do love, love, love my C Sonnar.

what a beauty!
Old 02-08-2013   #87
emiguevara

what a beauty!

need to start saving again... fortunately I quit smoking recently :-)
thinking about it, maybe I should get a second hand first version, to try it out in the meantime.

onion rings...???
Old 02-08-2013   #88
emiguevara

onion rings...???

I didn't know the CV 50/1.5 made those ugly onion rings too...
It is the only reason to complain about the 35/1.2, IMO. And by the way, umcelinho, Cosina did NOT fix this problem with the 35/1.2 v2: the rings, though slightly softer, are still there, check this example in full resolution

http://www.flickr.com/photos/j_tulla...n/photostream/

Old 02-08-2013   #89
Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKH View Post
I hope not.
That would mean also a lack of bookeh. As it is in the 35 1.2 case.
Not true.

The difference in bokeh between the 35 1.2 MK I and Mk II is so minuscule even in controlled tests I have seen (exact same shot, same light, same tripod socket) slight variations in focus seemed to have a greater influence. They are as near as dammit identical in this regard.

Old 02-08-2013   #90
seakayaker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc G. View Post
I have a hard time finding a review of the LTM version of this lens, although I heard about focus shift and quality control issues regarding the mechanics, sometimes starting to fall apart after half a year (no offense...)

I suppose they fixed the latter but is there a proper review of the lens? since it was so cheap I guess many didnt bother reviewing

I believe Sean Reed did a review of the 50 LTM in a fast 50 review and gave it high marks. I have owned the lens for the past few years and have never had any issues. I use the LTM version with a LTM to M adaptor and have never been disappointed with the results with use of film or digital.

Old 02-08-2013   #91
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakayaker1 View Post
I believe Sean Reed did a review of the 50 LTM in a fast 50 review and gave it high marks. I have owned the lens for the past few years and have never had any issues. I use the LTM version with a LTM to M adaptor and have never been disappointed with the results with use of film or digital.
Same here, although only the past year. It is my 'go to' lens with the M9, the one that is always on the camera unless I have some specific other purpose in mind.

G

Old 02-08-2013   #92
Harry Lime
Practitioner

A few years ago Erwin Puts compared the LTM Nokton to the pre-asph Lux and it was a toss up. Reading between the lines it was clear that he was very impressed with it. I think the worst thing that could be said about the LTM Nokton is that it intrudes quite a bit on the viewfinder, but obviously that has been addressed in the new M version.

Old 02-08-2013   #93
umcelinho
Marcelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiguevara View Post
I didn't know the CV 50/1.5 made those ugly onion rings too...
It is the only reason to complain about the 35/1.2, IMO. And by the way, umcelinho, Cosina did NOT fix this problem with the 35/1.2 v2: the rings, though slightly softer, are still there, check this example in full resolution

http://www.flickr.com/photos/j_tulla...n/photostream/
True, they're there, but barely noticeable, at least to my standards, which is why I'm trying to sell my v1 to fund a v2. And I agree, it's the only thing about the v1 that I don't like, the smaller size and weight of the v2 would be to me a mere bonus.

If Cosina does the same to the 50/1.5 I'll end up getting myself one.
• cameras & lenses

What I've seen around: flickr

Old 02-08-2013   #94
kermaier

This could be great! I love the pictures I get with the LTM version, but I don't love the size and the 0.9m close focus. The new M version could put a few of my 50s on the chopping block.

Old 02-08-2013   #95
ferider

Still pretty big with 49mm filter size, Ari. About the size of my converted Pentax lens

Seriously though, this will be a great lens. Looks very solid, the lack of which always bugged me with the LTM versions.

And I'm sure, once it's out, people will complain about bokeh ....

Wondering if prices of other fast 50s will come down.

Old 02-08-2013   #96
joeswe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
A few years ago Erwin Puts compared the LTM Nokton to the pre-asph Lux and it was a toss up. Reading between the lines it was clear that he was very impressed with it. I think the worst thing that could be said about the LTM Nokton is that it intrudes quite a bit on the viewfinder, but obviously that has been addressed in the new M version.
Yes, viewfinder intrusion combined with somewhat questionable ergonomics of the aperture ring. I sold mine because I kept on changing aperture inadvertently while focusing. I am pleased to see that there is a big gap between the two rings on the new version.

Old 02-08-2013   #97
leicashot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Not true.

The difference in bokeh between the 35 1.2 MK I and Mk II is so minuscule even in controlled tests I have seen (exact same shot, same light, same tripod socket) slight variations in focus seemed to have a greater influence. They are as near as dammit identical in this regard.
Show us a better fast 35mm then? The Summilux in any version is no better than the Nokton.

LEICAHUB on Facebook

Old 02-09-2013   #98
Sylvester
Street Shooter

Okay, I was going to buy a 50/2 ZM monday, found a good deal... But this new lens... Man I think it would compliment my 35/1.4 Nokton SC... Anyone know when it'll be available?
How long does it normally take to Voigtlander to deliver their new products after they first show them? 1 month? 6? A year?

Leica M6 Classic, Nikon FM2 Canon EOS 5D3 and 5D1, Canon EOS 1N, Konica Autoreflex T, Polaroid Automatic Land Cameras, Multiple Holgas and a Diana.
http://mistersylvestre.com/

Last edited by Sylvester : 02-09-2013 at 11:45. Reason: Typing error

Old 02-09-2013   #99
Roger Hicks

Beautiful to look at, and I immediately wanted one. Then I thought, why? I use the C-Sonnar far more. Would the Nokton displace it? No. If you've never had one, sure, great lens. If you've already got/had the screw version and use something else more...

Cheers,

R.

Old 02-09-2013   #100
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Roger, to some extent I agree with you. The only thing is that the new Nokton 50f1.5 looks so damned good! It also is very comfortable in the hand - and I like the old style focussing ring. The LTM version is a bit "smooth" with the barrel ,so it always takes me a while to get used to the focussing ring and aperture. I tried out about 6-7 different variations of barrel at Cosina in September. These were "mock-ups" and uncorrected glass elements. The new lens is also slightly smaller physically - and it focusses down to 0,7 m for those who considers that important.
It will not displace the C Sonnar 50f1.5 or even the old Nokton LTM - but complement it. Looks good on a M2 - and probably on a M3 too.

Old 02-09-2013   #101
ray*j*gun

I know I don't need one but boy do I want one. I guess I'll see what the price is then decide how badly.

Old 02-11-2013   #102
goo0h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Beautiful to look at, and I immediately wanted one. Then I thought, why? I use the C-Sonnar far more. Would the Nokton displace it? No. If you've never had one, sure, great lens. If you've already got/had the screw version and use something else more...

Cheers,

R.
Since I have neither the C-Sonnar nor the old screw-mount Nokton, this could be rather interesting. I love the draw of the C-Sonnar, but there's the expensve, and the focus shift. If this lens exhibits little or no focus shift, then it could be very interesting indeed!

(Though, I'm presently also considering getting either the Olympus OM-D E-M5 or maybe the Fuji X-E1. I'd love to get a M9, but way to expensive for me!!!)

Me on flickr.

Old 02-11-2013   #103
CK Dexter Haven

Quote:
Originally Posted by efix View Post
Couldn't find much more ... but look at that lens body! Isn't it gorgeous?
Actually, i came to say how odd and unfortunate i thought the aesthetics were....

But, good on them for making this. The 50/1.5 Nokton is the one 50mm lens i didn't try, but always wished i had — when i was still using the M-mount.

Old 02-11-2013   #104
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo0h View Post
Since I have neither the C-Sonnar nor the old screw-mount Nokton, this could be rather interesting. I love the draw of the C-Sonnar, but there's the expensve, and the focus shift. If this lens exhibits little or no focus shift, then it could be very interesting indeed!

(Though, I'm presently also considering getting either the Olympus OM-D E-M5 or maybe the Fuji X-E1. I'd love to get a M9, but way to expensive for me!!!)
This is the basic flaw in the internet. There's always SOMEONE willing to promote ANYTHING. The older I get, the more I think it makes sense to decide which reviewers you trust, and why. I have been known to buy books, in particular, on the strength of negative reviews: anything that Idiot A dislikes is probably pretty good...

Focus shift with the Nokton is far less. But there's something about the C-Sonnar that allows me to put up with the focus shift & vignetting. What? Well, you can't tell until you see it; and you won't really see it on a low-res JPEG on the internet.

Cheers,

R.

Old 02-19-2013   #105
kshapero
Photo Taker

I am in love. Wonder if there is a weight difference on the black vs chrome. Price?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 02-19-2013   #106
tjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
I am in love. Wonder if there is a weight difference on the black vs chrome. Price?
The black would look great on my LHSA M6TTL. But I do like the look of the chrome. I'm really torn between the two. I too would like to know if there is a weight difference and if the body of the black and chrome lenses is both brass, both aluminum, or different. And, since I plan to take photos with the lens, if it really has a nice signature.

Old 02-19-2013   #107
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

I did handle both black and chrome versions of the lens - cant really recall a major weight difference between them. It feels smaller than the LTM 50f1.5 and with a 49 mm front - rather than the 52mm of the LTM 50f1.5 - and corresponding "slimmer" barrel, it did fit a M2 very well. Performance should be the same as the LTM lens. The formula is the same - i.e. very high. On the prototypes the hood was a screw-in venter version with very little intrusion in the M2's 50 mm finder.
The vintage style knurling is actually very comfortable to use. I have never liked the "modern" smooth knurling as it slows you down if you have to shift focus quickly. With the heavy knurls you can shift focus by simply "dragging" a finger along the barrel.

Old 02-19-2013   #108
sanmich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom A View Post
...The formula is the same - i.e. very high. ...
from the CQ site:
"Voigtlander has apparently modified the formula slightly"

any info on that?

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site

Old 02-23-2013   #109
Balto

Looks like I found my next 50... been very impressed by CV as of late.

Old 02-26-2013   #110
jsrockit

Release date?

Old 02-26-2013   #111
rover

It always seems the details to the distributors (Stephen) always follow introductions from Cosina. It will be very welcome when Stephen has the skinny on this lens and can post his normal detailed page on Cameraquest.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 02-26-2013   #112
burancap

It sure is a beauty!

Old 02-27-2013   #113
kshapero
Photo Taker

What do you think? Chrome or black on my chrome M3?

Old 02-27-2013   #114
Erik van Straten

Remarkable that it has no red dot. And is it aspherical?

Erik.

Old 02-27-2013   #115
hipsterdufus
Photographer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
What do you think? Chrome or black on my chrome M3?

Black. I've always loved silver M cameras with black lenses.

Old 03-08-2013   #116
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmich View Post
from the CQ site:
"Voigtlander has apparently modified the formula slightly"

any info on that?
The new lens has a smaller 48m filter size, down from 52mm.

It would seem the new lens has higher index glass for more compact lens elements.

The optical design is very similar, if not the same.

But the glass is not the same.

Stephen

Old 03-08-2013   #117
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Release date?
I am guessing summer.

Stephen

Old 03-08-2013   #118
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sge View Post
I'd imagine its cost will be a factor, but what sort of impact might this have on used prices for the screw mount version?
The screw mount lenses will fit on screw mount cameras - something the new M mount can not do. Used prices will likely stay about the same.

I would be surprised if the new M 50/1.5 lenses sell for less than the remaining old new stock screw mount 50/1.5's. A few remain at $799

Stephen

Old 03-13-2013   #119
kshapero
Photo Taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipsterdufus View Post
Black. I've always loved silver M cameras with black lenses.
Me thinks the same.

Old 03-19-2013   #120
Krosya
Konicaze

I think this new lens looks cool. Yet just the looks is not enough for me to want it. If it's the same optics (well pretty much the same, save size and "official ability to focus to 0.7m") I still would keep my LTM version. It's "fixed" to focus down to 0.7m as well, a superb performer and works on both M and LTM cameras. Handling - personal thing - I never had any issues with either focus ring or aperture ring. Nor with any mechanics.

It also cracks me up that so many people say that they WILL buy it. How can you say that without any reviews or photos from it? Just as a good looking (again - a matter of personal taste) attachment for your camera? Sure Cosina made several superb lenses and chances are this will also be a good one. But (and this is my personal opinion) there were some that just were NOT up to par in CV line. So - anything is possible.
So, I think , at least for now, I'll pass. I have enough 50s. Unless this one will be so amazing to overshadow my other 50s, I really dont see a point.

Having said this - I'm glad that Cosina is coming out with something new.

Folders
:
Welta Weltur 6x6/645, Welta Weltur 6x9/645

flickr