Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Sigma / Foveon Cameras

Old 12-05-2014   #81
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfatty View Post
nice, gary! nice to see you holding down the fort with the sigmas. i took mine out last weekend but ended up mostly indoors with kids running around so it didn't get much use. i really need to find time to use it in good light, i miss the output.
Thanks...

Spending time w/ the kids is its own reward though

Gary

Old 12-06-2014   #82
fireblade
Vincenzo.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 12-06-2014   #83
ray*j*gun

Until I upgrade my computer, I would not be able to shoot raw on this camera. How are the JPEG's out of the camera in comparison to other high-end digi's and compared to the raw images out of the Sigma?

Old 12-06-2014   #84
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray*j*gun View Post
Until I upgrade my computer, I would not be able to shoot raw on this camera. How are the JPEG's out of the camera in comparison to other high-end digi's and compared to the raw images out of the Sigma?
Prior to the Quattro line of cameras, the Merrill and earlier, jpgs are not very good compared to the raw image. I tend to shoot jpg+raw, mainly to use the jpgs to select the raw files I want to put thru spp.

The Quattro line the jpg engine us every bit as good as the one that comes from Fuji. Most of the time I find that I don't need to manipulate the raw file. I only need to use spp for situations I need to do some recovery work for dynamic range or playing w/ the color channels to manipulate a b&w image.. My guess is around 90% of the jpgs are usable w/o resorting to the raw file in the Quattro vs 0% for the pre-Quattro.

Gary

Last edited by GaryLH : 12-06-2014 at 10:16. Reason: Changed pre-Merrill to pre-Quattro.

Old 12-06-2014   #85
ray*j*gun

Thanks Gary. Using JPEGs would be a temporary situation anyway but until I get this old computer replaced its good to know the output of the Merrill's will be useful.....Thanks

Old 12-06-2014   #86
GaryLH

The pre-Quattro jpgs will show
- noise sooner than the raw.
- the raw is much better in terms of
-- tonal quality
-- color is more accurate
-- noise can be controlled better via spp

The dp2 Quattro is so good w/ noise related issues, that I have not had the opportunity to even try the blue channel trick for shooting high iso monochrome in spp 6.1 yet. On my todo list to try out Merrill cameras and spp 6.1 in monochrome...

Gary

Old 12-21-2014   #87
jonal928

Kitchen Towel

DP-2 Merrill

Old 01-11-2015   #88
j.scooter

DP3

Old 01-19-2015   #89
lattiboy

A few from my new DP2M. First one is with external Nissin flash bounced.

1)

2)

Old 01-20-2015   #90
noimmunity
scratch my niche

Pic d'Ossau by areality4all, on Flickr

Tasty grass by areality4all, on Flickr

flickr
Flickr

Old 01-20-2015   #91
GaryLH

Nice set, Jon.. Backpacking?.. The first one makes me want to be there just enjoying the view..

Gary

Old 01-20-2015   #92
noimmunity
scratch my niche

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLH View Post
Nice set, Jon.. Backpacking?.. The first one makes me want to be there just enjoying the view..

Gary
Yup, Gary, those are from a 3-week thru hike of the Pyrenees that I did last August. There are many many more, from that hike and many others that I've been doing. I have to get more motivated to upload and share here.

flickr
Flickr

Old 01-22-2015   #93
noimmunity
scratch my niche

View of the Pic d'Ossau by areality4all, on Flickr

flickr
Flickr

Old 01-22-2015   #94
noimmunity
scratch my niche

The enounter by areality4all, on Flickr

The smile by areality4all, on Flickr

flickr
Flickr

Old 01-22-2015   #95
Michael Markey

Old 01-22-2015   #96
Michael Markey

Old 01-22-2015   #97
noimmunity
scratch my niche

Michael, I'd forgot that you have one of these.

Very nice!

I can hear the dogs and smell the leather.

flickr
Flickr

Old 01-22-2015   #98
Michael Markey

Thanks Jon ... a two and a three.

Old 01-22-2015   #99
noimmunity
scratch my niche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post
a two and a three.
2 + 3 = sublime

Really, these DP Merrills have a way of producing images that call for attention!

(You might be indulging in a 1 soon!).

flickr
Flickr

Old 01-22-2015   #100
VertovSvilova

imho, one has to be really careful with processing the Merrill files and use a 'light touch' especially with sharpening. As is evident with some of the images here, they can take on a 'crunchy' look that to me is bordering on kind of weird. They can end up looking more like 'electronic technical drawings' and not photographs. Sometimes I think people get obsessed with the detail and micro-contrast and kind of overdo it.

But if handled well the files can take on a film-like appearance. And best of all, the Merrill files are great for printing (where one needs to 'over sharpen' in comparison for making files for monitor viewing.) I find Merrill files that are printed (either ink or RA-4 Lightjet/Lambda) can look really spectacular.

Old 01-22-2015   #101
noimmunity
scratch my niche

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertovSvilova View Post
imho, one has to be really careful with processing the Merrill files and use a 'light touch' especially with sharpening. As is evident with some of the images here, they can take on a 'crunchy' look that to me is bordering on kind of weird. They can end up looking more like 'electronic technical drawings' and not photographs. Sometimes I think people get obsessed with the detail and micro-contrast and kind of overdo it.

But if handled well the files can take on a film-like appearance. And best of all, the Merrill files are great for printing (where one needs to 'over sharpen' in comparison for making files for monitor viewing.) I find Merrill files that are printed (either ink or RA-4 Lightjet/Lambda) can look really spectacular.
You might be talking about anybody, but I will take the ball. For the record, no sharpening whatsoever, beyond Flickr's internal parameters, was applied to the files I posted here.

Two of the images (first one in post #147, and the one in post #150) are multiple exposure HDR. Perhaps a little too much for some tastes.

For still life/landscape, I often do like tonal contrast for the texture it brings out. It was actually one of the reasons that led me to decide that I personally prefer the output of the Merrill to that of the M9, when I had both.

As for prints: those that I've made from Merrill images processed in this way definitely look more organic--and spectacular--than what you see here.

flickr
Flickr

Old 01-23-2015   #102
fireblade
Vincenzo.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 01-23-2015   #103
Michael Markey

Don`t think that I sharpen mine either ...maybe I need to check the settings in the software.

A one is tempting Jon ....
My only problem with them is the totally inadequate scale information provided.
Its not accurate enough to ensure precise manual focusing.

The AF is ,of course ,way to slow for what I`d really like to use them for.

Old 01-23-2015   #104
VertovSvilova

Quote:
Don`t think that I sharpen mine either ...maybe I need to check the settings in the software.
Just curious but are you reducing sharpening in SPP? The default sharpening is way too much and it seems one is much better off when being sure to reduce the default to around -7 or so. A couple of years ago Imaging Resource did a close evaluation of this and concluded: "We weren't really able to extract any more resolution using Sigma's Photo Pro RAW converter at default settings mainly because of its overly aggressive sharpening." It's that 'aggressive' sharpening (the default setting) that can make the X3F files of the Merrill take on that 'crunchy' over baked technical appearance (a lot of aliasing.)

Old 01-23-2015   #105
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertovSvilova View Post
Just curious but are you reducing sharpening in SPP? The default sharpening is way too much and it seems one is much better off when being sure to reduce the default to around -7 or so. A couple of years ago Imaging Resource did a close evaluation of this and concluded: "We weren't really able to extract any more resolution using Sigma's Photo Pro RAW converter at default settings mainly because of its overly aggressive sharpening." It's that 'aggressive' sharpening (the default setting) that can make the X3F files of the Merrill take on that 'crunchy' over baked technical appearance (a lot of aliasing.)

I usually have it set to neutral .

Old 01-23-2015   #106
noimmunity
scratch my niche

I went back and reconverted one of those images above with the sheep. There isn't a great deal of difference at any viewing ratio between 0 sharpening and -0.7 in SPP.

The real difference comes in the contrast that I applied during PP of the TIFF files. For the first time, I did everything in a batch, and it looks like this resulted in some images that have had too much contrast applied. The sheep image in question for instance looks better with less "aggressive" use of the contrast sliders (I'm using three of them, divided into midtone, highlight, and shadow(.

Thanks for the heads up.

flickr
Flickr

Old 01-23-2015   #107
noimmunity
scratch my niche

Quote:
A one is tempting Jon ....
My only problem with them is the totally inadequate scale information provided.
Its not accurate enough to ensure precise manual focusing.

The AF is ,of course ,way to slow for what I`d really like to use them for.
One doesn't get the Merrills for their ergonomics

flickr
Flickr

Old 01-23-2015   #108
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by noimmunity View Post
I went back and reconverted one of those images above with the sheep. There isn't a great deal of difference at any viewing ratio between 0 sharpening and -0.7 in SPP.

The real difference comes in the contrast that I applied during PP of the TIFF files. For the first time, I did everything in a batch, and it looks like this resulted in some images that have had too much contrast applied. The sheep image in question for instance looks better with less "aggressive" use of the contrast sliders (I'm using three of them, divided into midtone, highlight, and shadow(.

Thanks for the heads up.
I `ve just done the the same and saw little difference when the sharpness was reduced to -0.7.

Old 01-28-2015   #109
GaryLH

Jon,
That is a nice set.. The first one looks like the fellow was saying back off or I'll head butt u

Gary

Old 01-29-2015   #110
noimmunity
scratch my niche

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLH View Post
Jon,
That is a nice set.. The first one looks like the fellow was saying back off or I'll head butt u

Gary
Thanks, Gary.
When I took the shot I was kinda feeling the same way!

flickr
Flickr

Old 01-29-2015   #111
rhl-oregon
jolly good dog Robert

Hello DP aficianados, normally i restrict color to film, but on a trip up Highway 101 from San Francisco, I set the dp2 to Landscape color for some images of beaches and surf rocks in bright diffused afternoon light. I also used one or two ND filters (2x, 4x).

The results on a monitor show green casts/patches in the volcanic gray beach sand from a distance. I've heard a bit about green/magenta casts from the Merrill, but since I rarely shoot color, have paid little attention.

Anything you all can advise (from your own trial/error/best practice) about avoiding funky color cast in the future--other than shoot & process monochrome on the DPM, which I do 95% of the time?

(Btw I was duplicating some of these images with the Bronica RF645/Provia--no color cast expected there...)

Robert Hill Long Tumblr

Old 01-29-2015   #112
GaryLH

The only time in the past I can remember getting weird cast like that from the dp Merrill when lighting is overcast and I am using awb w/ iso greater that 200. But then again I shoot mostly monochrome as well. Sigma awb IMHO is one of their week points. But I have heard on other forums and threads... Can't remember which, where people have complained about mixed results w/ nd filters. Not sure if it was a particular brand of filters or type (variable vs normal). I have never used nd filter on my sigma cameras.

Good luck
Gary

Old 01-29-2015   #113
rhl-oregon
jolly good dog Robert

Thanks, Gary. The AWB is a good clue--I tend to ignore or overlook WB in daylight. Clearly this is one of those things that can probably be solved through eliminating variables (color modes, WB, ND filters). I'll be back at the coast next month and can work this out in similar light.

Robert Hill Long Tumblr

Old 01-29-2015   #114
dfatty

i seem to remember a conversation about red and green patches being more likely if the area at issue is underexposed.

some even suggest overexposing the highlights and recovering them in the sigma software, to avoid the patching. the conversation devolves into poop-flinging as usual on that site, lol:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3378547

Old 01-29-2015   #115
rhl-oregon
jolly good dog Robert

Thanks, Dean. There may have been underexposure of the sands, but only relative to the sky--it wasn't as though I was muddying everything else in order to get a pristine sky (though I have done so and will do so again, but only in monochrome). This suggest paying more attention to the ND filters in bright coast pm light.

Robert Hill Long Tumblr

Old 01-29-2015   #116
Michael Markey

Old 01-29-2015   #117
noimmunity
scratch my niche

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhl-oregon View Post
Thanks, Dean. There may have been underexposure of the sands, but only relative to the sky--it wasn't as though I was muddying everything else in order to get a pristine sky (though I have done so and will do so again, but only in monochrome). This suggest paying more attention to the ND filters in bright coast pm light.
I haven't yet discovered any systematic way to avoid it, nor, by the same token, any systematic way to produce it. It happens most often to clouds, and for a while it drove me batty, until I started to accept it. I think that now I'm even at the point at which most times I appreciate it.

SPP has a tool for color cast removal. There are also some plugins that have color cast removal tools. For certain subjects, that works, too.

flickr
Flickr

Old 01-29-2015   #118
VertovSvilova

Quote:
Originally Posted by noimmunity View Post

Thanks for the heads up.
Maybe it's the contrast (?) In the past (when the Merrills first came out) the prevailing thought was to reduce sharpening from default to around -7. This seemed to reduce that 'crunchiness' aliasing that's sometimes apparent in the XF3 files. But you're not seeing that with your files, so may not (?)

fwiw, what I see as 'crunchy' is this: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...&postcount=175 compared to this: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...&postcount=161

The fine details (the grass blades and the horse's tack, etc..) take on an odd non-photo-like appearance whereas the little girl looks 'normal' to me, i.e., like a film photograph. I see it sometimes in my own Merrill images but it goes away if the file is printed (either ink or conventional chemical RA-4 printing.) And the 'crunchiness' is beneficial with printing, but looks weird to me on the web. Again, too much like an electronic technical drawing. I think it's kind of cool that it can reveal such detail, but it just looks odd to me. I guess it's just me...

Old 01-31-2015   #119
Chrisrw
photomonkey

wonderful images Jon. I definitely feel present in these photos. I am typically not drawn to color photos, but the Foveon sensor...

Old 01-31-2015   #120
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Quote:
very nice, Foveon nice.