Old 08-18-2012   #41
Vics

Quote:
Originally Posted by loquax ludens View Post
Freestyle didn't screw you. They are not responsible for the customs, duty, or tax on film shipped to Canada.
Do Canadians pay duty on USA or Mexico produced goods bought from a USA seller? What about NAFTA?

My Flickr

Old 08-18-2012   #42
Red Robin
It Is What It Is

I found a local store that sells kodak, cvs, and other rebranded film --some Bk. & Wt. most speeds 100-800 @ .25 cents per roll. Mostly a mix of out of date and not yet out of date. Had to slow down due to lack of freezer space.

Old 08-18-2012   #43
Photo_Smith

++ for Silverprint in London. I buy Fomapan for B&W which is about £2.20 a roll for colour I shoot Agfa Vista (Fuji 200) from UK store Poundland at the crushing price of..... £1 for 36exp. I also have a local minilab that prints optically 2 hrs for £3.99.

For 120 colour I buy 5 packs portra for £18 and process myself to scan –works out about £5 per fim for finished product

Old 08-18-2012   #44
Chris101
Lazy Lytro Shooter

I don't live anywhere near Canada, so I don't know the issues there. I buy my film at Tempe Camera - they carry all Kodak, Ilford and Fuji film. They also have Impossible film. I do buy from Freestyle - Efke and Rollei film, and color chemistry - their Unicolor kit is da bomb.

Old 08-19-2012   #45
Johnmcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
local flm cost is about 8 to 9 bucks a roll...freestyle is 2.89 a roll so with shipping it should still be way cheaper.
Local film in Australia is also at least $10 a roll of 120 for B/W. I buy in bulk from B&H. Aussie dollar is also the best it's ever been against the US.

John

Zeiss Ikon ZM, Leica R8 50, 60
Leica M3, M4
21, 35, 50, Ind 61, Jup 9
OM2/1 plus 24, 28, 50, 50, 100, 70-150, 300
www.johnmcd.zenfolio.com/

Old 08-19-2012   #46
skibeerr

I have bought from Macodirect when I lived in Belgium and continue to do so here in Melbourne. Oversees shipping is cheaper than Freestyle, B&H and Adorama.

Last time I was in a shop in Melbourne I asked why film was so expensive here ( $70 for an expired bulk roll of Rollei retro, on sale!). The attendant answered it was the way God intended things to be!....... so the devil must have invented the internet

Old 08-19-2012   #47
useless generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmcd View Post
Local film in Australia is also at least $10 a roll of 120 for B/W. I buy in bulk from B&H. Aussie dollar is also the best it's ever been against the US.

John
In adelaide one roll of portra 400 cost me $19!!! You would have to be stupid to NOT buy film online these days. Around $70 for 10 rolls of portra posted. Maybe I should buy in bulk and set up a store. Even if I sell it for double it would still be cheaper!

Leica M6 Millennium + Leica M2 + Leica 50mm Summicron V4 + Leica 35mm Summicron V4

Old 08-19-2012   #48
Johnmcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless generation View Post
In adelaide one roll of portra 400 cost me $19!!! You would have to be stupid to NOT buy film online these days. Around $70 for 10 rolls of portra posted. Maybe I should buy in bulk and set up a store. Even if I sell it for double it would still be cheaper!
Just bought some more Portra from B&H - just over $5 each. No justifying Oz prices at all.

Zeiss Ikon ZM, Leica R8 50, 60
Leica M3, M4
21, 35, 50, Ind 61, Jup 9
OM2/1 plus 24, 28, 50, 50, 100, 70-150, 300
www.johnmcd.zenfolio.com/

Old 08-19-2012   #49
loquax ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vics View Post
Do Canadians pay duty on USA or Mexico produced goods bought from a USA seller? What about NAFTA?
I honestly don't know, but my understanding is that, due to NAFTA, people in the US, Canada, and Mexico do not pay import duties on items manufactured in those countries when shipped across the border. I would think that Customs duties could apply to films, darkroom supplies, and other non-US made items that are imported into the US by Freestyle, and then sold across the border to Canada. Probably most of what Freestyle sells is imported into the US from a non-NAFTA country. Maybe someone from Canada can say if they are charged customs duties for Rollei or Efke film, but not for Kodak film.

Canadian taxes and customs brokerage fees may still apply. There are many people here from Canda who doubtless know more about this than I.

Anyway, my point to the poster who said he was screwed by Freestyle was simply that he wasn't screwed by Freestyle.

Old 08-19-2012   #50
Vics

Quote:
Originally Posted by loquax ludens View Post
I honestly don't know, but my understanding is that, due to NAFTA, people in the US, Canada, and Mexico do not pay import duties on items manufactured in those countries when shipped across the border. I would think that Customs duties could apply to films, darkroom supplies, and other non-US made items that are imported into the US by Freestyle, and then sold across the border to Canada. Probably most of what Freestyle sells is imported into the US from a non-NAFTA country. Maybe someone from Canada can say if they are charged customs duties for Rollei or Efke film, but not for Kodak film.

Canadian taxes and customs brokerage fees may still apply. There are many people here from Canda who doubtless know more about this than I.

Anyway, my point to the poster who said he was screwed by Freestyle was simply that he wasn't screwed by Freestyle.
And quite right you are.

My Flickr

Old 08-19-2012   #51
Sylvester

L.L. Lozeau on the corner of St-Hubert and Bellechasse in Montréal... Ilford, Kodak, Fuji, Kentmere... Paper, chemicals... There's an old guy there with who I talk about film sometimes.. Nice guys, even bought my DSLR there...

Old 08-20-2012   #52
camperbc

I live in a remote place; a sparsely inhabited island off the northeast coast of Newfoundland... so not a film supplier for hundreds of miles! And as for Canadian online stores? Forget it! Very little product, and you must be related to Thurston Howell III to afford it. So it's Freestyle and B&H for me these days. The prices are roughly a third of Canadian retailers, and even after shipping/duty/brokerage fees, it is still about half price.

Sure, I'd love to keep all of my shopping in my own country... but at what cost?

Glen

Old 08-20-2012   #53
slava

Ebay. In my local store ilford cost about 13e/roll......

Old 08-20-2012   #54
Lawrence A.

B&H, though I'm not in Canada but the southwestern U.S. Still, I have been paying $8-$9 a roll of 36 exposure, which I find absurd. I'd like to support the local guys, but they offer less and less of what I want and at prices that are often double what I can get from B&H and Freestyle. B&H seems to have slightly better prices.

Guillevic

Old 08-20-2012   #55
one90guy

No local stores for film here except color Fuji from Walmart. Live close to a Walgreens, last time I checked there 1 roll Kodak for $9.00. So most from B/H and started using Freestyle for a few items.

Old 03-22-2015   #56
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

What about Amazon?
Ebay?
Photo Forums?

Do any film makers sell direct ?

Stephen

Old 03-22-2015   #57
robert blu
quiet photographer

Internet if 10 or more (because of shipping cost). Delta 100 or 400 135/36 = 5,90 EUR with 5% discount for 10 pieces or more. Portra 160, 135/36 = 6,40 EUR same discount for 10 pieces or more.

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 03-22-2015   #58
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Europe continent: www.macodirect.de.

Might be interesting for a lot of other destinations too.

Also Europe continent: www.fotohuisrovo.nl.

And I buy film on RFF

Old 03-22-2015   #59
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
Do any film makers sell direct ?

Stephen
Yes. I buy 400 foot rolls of 35mm Eastman Kodak Double-X 5222 film directly from Kodak Cinema & Television in NYC. 1-800-621-FILM.

Old 03-22-2015   #60
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Burlington Camera for some b/w. One of the last stores here who are for film, darkroom.
Walmart until they have it for Kodak Gold.

BH for 30.5 135 bulks, free shipping for over 99$ order.
120 and 4x5 B/W from China on e-bay.

Old 03-22-2015   #61
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I answered this a couple years ago, but things have changed since then. Before I said I get it from Freestyle because I was using tons of Arista Premium 400 (Tri-X). Well, that film is no longer available and I have stopped shooting 35mm. I use 120 film for most of my work now, and I get it from B&H. Used to buy locally but the camera store here stopped selling 120 BW film

Back home again in Indiana

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Technical Info pages: Film Developing times, scanning, printing, editing.

Buy My Prints in RFF Classifieds

Support My Work on Patreon

Old 03-22-2015   #62
skopar steve

I stock up on film at Hunts in Melrose Mass. Once a month I go by their main store. They have a satellite store in Manchester NH that is much closer, but the selection is not as good.

Old 03-22-2015   #63
hausen

NZ prices for film are horrific so I don't even look now. Just waiting now for some 220 Potra for my SWC and Fuji 200 for my F6 to arrive from BH. Their service is awesome and UPS here into NZ is around $US50 and I get it in 3 days.

Far too many cameras & lenses!

Old 03-25-2015   #64
Soeren

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannielscom View Post
Europe continent: www.macodirect.de.

Might be interesting for a lot of other destinations too.

Also Europe continent: www.fotohuisrovo.nl.

And I buy film on RFF
Yes use them too
And
http://www.fotoimpex.de/website/fotoimpex-2/ in Berlin

http://www.photografica.com/ DK based

https://www.silverprint.co.uk/ Also alt processes

Old 03-25-2015   #65
rolo

Just bought 50 rolls of 120 Delta 100 from HARMAN Direct (Ilford). They had a 20% discount and free delivery for the last 4 days . £3.95 a roll, delivered.

3 months ago, I asked them to list 100 sheets of 5x4 (4x25 boxes) at the volume price as it was missing from their range, whereas other 5x4 films were already at bulk prices. They obliged and I bought 100 sheets. Ilford are very considerate.

Gary

Old 03-25-2015   #66
seakayaker1

When in the local camera store, Glazers Camera in Seattle, I will often pick up a few rolls to give them some business. But have bought bulk from Freestyle & B&H as the prices for film has risen.

Old 03-25-2015   #67
Skiff

My main sources for film:
- www.fotoimpex.de
- www.macodirect.de
- www.ars-imago.com
- my local photo store
- my local professional photo lab
- local drugstore chain shops (Rossmann, dm).

Old 03-25-2015   #68
Bille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiff View Post
My main sources for film:
- www.fotoimpex.de
Cool little store, they´re a 5 min walk from my office.

Old 06-08-2015   #69
giganova

At my local Leica store -- love that they started carrying B&W film!

Old 07-28-2015   #70
Red Robin
It Is What It Is

I have a local thrift shop that gathers returns from local retailers. After film was phased off many selves and returned to the distributors I have been able to purchase it @ .25 per roll. Some is OOD, some "drug store", color, black&white film. Most 24 exp. a little 36 exp. at 25 cents I check- -- they don't! Still need to watch my shots as processing is still a pricey expense on my budget but makes a nice hobby just the same. Anyway when I arrive home with a "new" supply I tend to get the "hairy eyeball" from my sweet bride. Something about freezer space.

Old 07-30-2015   #71
thawkins
thawkins

Garland Camera and Repair in Garland, Texas or mail order from B&H.

Old 10-11-2015   #72
bobby_novatron
Photon Collector

B&H, shipping over $99 is free to Canada with Purolator. I find the prices at B&H are pretty decent, and ordering online is easy. I've pretty much given up on my local camera stores, they don't carry much film anymore and their service is mediocre. It's too bad because I'd like to support my local retailer but there's not much incentive to do so.

Old 10-12-2015   #73
fixbones
.......sometimes i thinks

Aussie dollar is sooo piss weak now that I don't think there is many choices for us other than to swallow the bitter pill and pat a premium for films.
Used to get mine from B & H and Freestyle.

Old 10-12-2015   #74
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixbones View Post
Aussie dollar is sooo piss weak now that I don't think there is many choices for us other than to swallow the bitter pill and pat a premium for films.
Used to get mine from B & H and Freestyle.
Indeed. I've been pondering who to replace B&H with now that the AUD is at 0.73c (although apparently it's been getting better over the last week)...

Any suggestions for Australian retailers? I think my stockpile might last until xmas.
We abandon them daily in the wasteland of the past. Because even though I have told you that I am walking to remember, this isn’t completely true - we must embark also on journeys of forgetting. - Paul Salopek

Olympus EM5 | Ricoh GR | Pentax MX | Leica M2
walking | photography | travel
Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 05-06-2016   #75
giganova

With film prices having gone up recently, I'd like to revive this old thread.

Looks like FP4 is now $5.99 a roll, that's a Dollar more than I used to pay a few months ago. Seems like B&H still has the lowest prices if you factor in free expedited shipping for orders over $50.-

Where do you buy your film?

Old 05-07-2016   #76
thawkins
thawkins

I Get Ilford And Kodak From Garland Camera And Repair In Garland, Tx. (suburban Dallas) Or Order From Freestyle.

Old 05-07-2016   #77
rfaspen

What an interesting thread:
Interesting to see the weird variation in film prices worldwide that don't seem to follow any process (cause) I can think of.

Interesting how many of us want desperately to buy from the local camera store (and some can), but pricing makes that an untenable source. I too used to buy film (at a higher price than online sources) from the local camera store. It went out of business anyway. The last source of film in my town is the university book store, which is actually not a book store but a merchandising outlet for the sports machine. They used to stock film at good prices for students. Today, they sell Arista 200/24 for $9USD per roll. Not exactly oriented toward students in my mind. Well, some of the students can clearly afford that and more, but I would expect most to be near starvation, as I was during my undergrad years.

Short answer to the OP: I buy most film online (freestyle) and a few remaining camera shops in Portland OR when I visit the big city. Silvermax ends up being similar in price either online or in the Portland camera shops, especially after shipping is considered.

Old 05-07-2016   #78
steveyork

B&H and Freestyle. Occasionally Ebay for out of date stuff (e.g., Efke)

Old 05-07-2016   #79
David Hughes

I'm still buying the Agfa 200 or Fuji C200 in 24 exposures for a pound in Poundland. For our friends overseas, who might be in the UK this summer; visitors to York might/should find a branch near the Minster. It had film the last time I was there...

Regards, David

Old 05-10-2016   #80
ashfaque
Learning

BIC Camera and Yodobashi (for Fujifilms and whlist in Japan) and Maco Direct and FotoImpex (Adox) in Germany (for everything else). UK is too expensive to buy Ilford.