Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Help / Feedback forum

Help / Feedback forum This area should address site improvements and help with the forum.

How to post pictures in threads
Old 03-26-2012   #1
ferider

How to post pictures in threads

This question is asked quite frequently. Therefore I wanted to share with pictures how I do it. Note that not all forums allow links to pictures. For those that do, first I grab the pic info:

http://ferider.smugmug.com/Technical...N/0/O/ref1.jpg

Then I post the link to the jpg file in between IMG tags:

http://ferider.smugmug.com/Technical...D/0/O/ref2.jpg

IE works similarly, just the menus and boxes look a bit different.

There are different ways to do it, and I invite others to share their method in this thread.

Roland.

Old 03-26-2012   #2
rover

Thank you for the post.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 03-26-2012   #3
keytarjunkie

Wouldn't it be a lot easier for you to just click on "copy image location" instead of bringing up that window...

Old 03-27-2012   #4
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytarjunkie View Post
Wouldn't it be a lot easier for you to just click on "copy image location" instead of bringing up that window...
In Firefox yes. I chose the above to show that it's very similar for both Firefox and IE, where grabbing the link to the JPEG can be done like this:

http://ferider.smugmug.com/Technical...rCq/0/O/ie.jpg

Cheers,

Roland.

Old 03-27-2012   #5
Alfasud
Old Toys

Thank you so much for this thread! After two months of frustration, I have now been able to post.

If I age as well as my cameras, I'll do all right

for all those who wonder: a simple way to post flickr pictures on RFF
Old 05-13-2012   #6
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

for all those who wonder: a simple way to post flickr pictures on RFF

because people keep wondering or find it complicated:

with firefox (might work with other browsers as well, try it) the easiest and most fool-proof way to do it, is to open the flickr page of your photo in one window (or tab) and RFF thread you want to post to in another window/tab.
(I'm using one of Tom's, because I know everyone can view all sizes and I know he won't mind)
the photo's page on flickr should look like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rapidwi...n/photostream/

right click the picture and then left click "medium 640" (for example).
another page opens up which looks like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rapidwi...n/photostream/

now: drag and drop the picture INTO the message field in your RFF browser-window.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7071/7...734f06e3_z.jpg

(for those who don't know "drag and drop": left click it and keep the mouse button pushed, then move the cursor to where you want the picture and let go of the button. you will see a ghost image of the picture you're dragging, at least in firefox.)

you can switch between tabs and windows while "drag and drop"-ing by simply hovering (don't let go of the mouse button) the cursor over the browser tab or browser window that you want to switch to for a second or two,
or by using they hotkey combination alt+tab (just to change windows, doesn't work for browser tabs),
or cmd+tab for apple users (I'm pretty positive things work the same there)

Old 05-13-2012   #7
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.w.bn View Post
Simon, this is a way that might technically work but it is against the flickr terms of use. They want that you backlink a photo to the flickr service. So if you click on the photo you get back to the flickr site.

Not that I'm the flickr-police, just an information.
I know. but keeping a flickr link in my signature has to be enough of a backlink. it is also possible to make it impossible for other people to do this with your pictures, so I don't see a big issue. you can also always add a link to the picture page if you're worried about this.
the "share" option on flickr is too complicated for a lot of people and the way it adds the title is just ugly (I know it's possible to get rid of that, but that would complicate things even more )

I also think that this guideline mainly addresses people posting other people's photographs elsewhere. which I did above. but I DID link back!

Old 05-13-2012   #8
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

The simple and legal way: click the 'share' button over the Flickr picture, choose 'BBcode' in the Grab the HTML/BBcode window. Click inside the code window, press CTRL-C (or Command-C on a Mac) and paste the code in the RFF window with CTRL-V or Command-V.

Easy as pie.

Throughout my RFF life I've seen at least ten threads on how to do it!

What we need is someone to create a simple pictorial to post to this thread, and a mod that will make it a sticky that new members are referred to in their welcome mail. mods?

Old 05-13-2012   #9
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald_H View Post
*feels very surprised that people would need a tutorial for this*

Btw, Johan is right ;-)
it might be easy for you and me, but a lot of people with less computerised habits find it complicated.
as I said above, the "share" option (thanks for adding it here, johan) on flickr works just fine (as do a few other ways), but it's not necessarily desirable or easier, and not the only "legal" way either.

Old 05-13-2012   #10
Stuart John

can't get it to work in safari by dragging and dropping-

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6037/5...7598e171_z.jpg

Canonet QL17, Canonet 28, Zorki C

Old 05-13-2012   #11
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart John View Post

Hadn't even tried that. Another reason to go the BBcode road that I posted above!

Old 05-13-2012   #12
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart John View Post

safari seems to just copy the image's address, good to know.
bbcode or "copy image address" on flickr and "insert image" on rff it is for you

Old 05-13-2012   #13
david.elliott

I go to 'all sizes,' choose the size of the photo I want and then right click on the photo to copy the image url and use that in the img tags here.

Old 05-13-2012   #14
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

This is what you use. Clicking this button over the Flickr picture:
http://l.yimg.com/cv/ip/flickr/faq/share_menu_en.gif
Gets you this menu:
http://l.yimg.com/cv/ip/flickr/faq/grab_html_en.gif

The full explanation is here

Old 05-13-2012   #15
ruediger

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtan View Post
I don't think RFF has the option of uploading images directly; you need to upload it first to a host site in order to get the direct link that allows you to post it inline on the forum.
Yes and RFF even provides the host. It is the Gallery link in the RFF menu. On the next page you will see top right corner below the menu a link which says "Upload photo". There you are.

Cheers
Ruediger

Old 05-13-2012   #16
batterytypehah!
Lord of the Dings

Or, you could just do it the way the RFF software wants you to do it... In Firefox:
  1. Upload the image (to RFF gallery, flickr, etc.)
  2. Right-click the image and select "Copy image location"
  3. When you compose your RFF post, click the "Insert image" button (sunset icon)
  4. Paste image location (from step 2) into dialog and click OK
No offense but I'm baffled by the complicated code-warrior solutions that this (common) question always produces.

“Hair-splitting, of course. But hey, it's a LEICA. Probably there are those who get excited about the colour of the hairs you split.” – Roger Hicks

Contax IIa + Leica IIIf + M3 (project) + Zorki-1 (project) + Fuji GS645 + FED-2 + Vitomatic II + Revue 400SE + Olympus XA + more + still more

Old 05-13-2012   #17
River Dog
Always looking

Even simpler. With Firefox on the Mac, I just use the normal browser "Copy Image" option on the Flickr "View all sizes" page and paste into the post here.

Nipping over to my PC VM to try it in IE.

Old 05-13-2012   #18
River Dog
Always looking

Yep, works in IE on the PC as well. Just copy and paste. No drag and drop between windows, http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...nsertimage.gif button, HTML or BB code. Doesn't cross link the image though.

Old 05-13-2012   #19
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterytypehah! View Post
Or, you could just do it the way the RFF software wants you to do it... In Firefox:
  1. Upload the image (to RFF gallery, flickr, etc.)
  2. Right-click the image and select "Copy image location"
  3. When you compose your RFF post, click the "Insert image" button (sunset icon)
  4. Paste image location (from step 2) into dialog and click OK
No offense but I'm baffled by the complicated code-warrior solutions that this (common) question always produces.
The simplest way to post an image into a message thread from flickr is to
- open the image page on Flickr
- click the Share button
- click the "grab the HTML/BB code" option
- select the BBCode option
- copy the code
- paste the code into a message editor

That does it right, links it too, and takes all of ten seconds.

I don't upload my photos here or to any other forum gallery because it becomes a management problem as to where my photos are being served from. I post all the stuff I'm presenting to the world on Flickr and link to it from there, or to my own website and link to it from there.

Old 05-31-2012   #20
Alberti

Glad to see it is not just a legal problem (backlink/bbcode) but also technical.
I have not been able to get better than thumbnails in my pictures recently in Safari since Flickr made it harder - and even I saw F might not support saw old linkages; the reason for me to stop posting.

I think you made me happy.

Yes, BB code works like a charm in Safari

Though using the RFF gallery would be better than Fr, as I have a habit of managing my pictures (reorganising) on Fr which includes deleting, maybe ones that might have been posted long time ago.
albert

Old 01-18-2013   #21
Vics

I have a flickr account and put my pics there, then when I want to post here, I go to the photo in flickr and open ir. Then click on "share" and click on "grab the HTML/BBCode, select "BBCode, select Medium (800x534). Then click in the code you see there to select it. Press CTRL+C to copy the code, then go back to RFF and the box in which you are typing your post. Hit enter to move to a new line after your text and press CTRL+V to paste the code in. Click on the button to post your post. Done. It's much quicker to do than to read.

My Flickr

Old 01-18-2013   #22
kxl
Social Documentary

You must have a link to your photo. Click on the "Insert Image" icon (the only one that's gold, green and blue (the other icons are B&W) and enter or cut & paste the URL for your image. That's it.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 01-18-2013   #23
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxl View Post
You must have a link to your photo. Click on the "Insert Image" icon (the only one that's gold, green and blue (the other icons are B&W) and enter or cut & paste the URL for your image. That's it.
Keith, I tried doing this with an image in my gallery here at RFF. It didn't work for me. When I tried placing the link in a thread (via the Insert Image button), it just leaves the little blue square with a question mark in it. Any other thoughts about this? Much appreciated.

Some Fuji gear; Speed Graphic (gathering dust); Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/79590026@N08/

Old 01-19-2013   #24
back alley
IMAGES

when you hit the icon this is what shows in the box..http://...delete it and then add yourimages url...

xe2...xe1...16...23...27...56...55-200

original canon F1...T90...24/2.8...100/2.8...200/2.8...300/5.6

RFF Gallery Photo insertion
Old 01-19-2013   #25
Duane Pandorf

RFF Gallery Photo insertion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Uno View Post
Thank you Vic,I'll give that a try ( wish me luck). Is this any easier than attempting to do from My Photos in RFF?
Regards,Peter
Here's how I'd link a photo I've uploaded to the new RFF gallery:

After uploading your image to your RFF Gallery right click on the photo and you should get a menu where you can choose "Copy image URL". Select this.

Then go to the forum you want to post this picture and select the "Insert image" icon. Paste the URL you copied above and your image will display.

Old 01-19-2013   #26
KEH

I hadn't tried this with the new gallery until now. I zoomed in on the photo to get maximum size, then right clicked and selected 'copy image address' in Safari (other browsers have an equivalent option). Then I composed this message, hit the 'Insert image' icon, and then pasted the saved URL.

Overall pretty intuitive.

Cheers,
Kirk

Old 01-19-2013   #27
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

Seeing these various ways of posting pictures is quite rewarding.
Thanks again to all those who have responded.
Regards,Peter

Old 03-07-2013   #28
hoddy

Does this mean I can only post photos on here which are already on line? I want to post a picture to illustrate a problem I have but its only on my hard drive. Do I have to upload it first to my RFF album?

Old 03-07-2013   #29
Doug

David, if you want to post a pic directly off your local hard drive, use the "Go Advanced", then Manage Attachments, then Browse your directory for the pic, and Upload it. Once you Save the post your pic(s) will appear as thumbnails at the bottom of the post. When a thumb is clicked it shows at a larger size.

This is the basic normal way of posting images in a thread, with the advantage that the thread loads faster if pics are inserted this way.

In addition, there's a tricky way to make that larger display permanent. With that temporarily larger pic displayed, copy the URL from the browser address bar, and return to the post window. Open a whole new browser window (not just a new tab), paste the URL in so that the larger pic opens in that new window. Move this window aside so you can see your post too. Back in your post window with the thumbnail, Edit your post again in "Go Advanced", and mouse-drag the pic from the new browser window into your post, and Save. Now you'll have both the thumbnail and the larger size in the post. I do this quite a lot because I don't actively use a photo host like Flickr, etc.

The above dragging method is also how I get a Gallery photo into a post. (there won't be a thumbnail this time) It seems to work even if the pic is not on RFF ... and I'm just now surprised to find that it works from Flickr as well, here's one of my 4 Flickr pics!

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/62/196...503_z.jpg?zz=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 030713-55big.jpg (25.0 KB, 17 views)

Old 03-08-2013   #30
hoddy

Thanks Doug

Old 03-08-2013   #31
lynnb

I found the most efficient way to post multiple images into a thread (like Gallery Picks) is:

1. open any text editor - a new blank email will do; then copy and paste the photo url's into the document, leaving a blank line between each

2. type in the IMG html tags enclosed in square brackets at the beginning and end of each url, without any spaces (see below)

3. copy and paste the result into the thread.

e.g. (I've added spaces to the htmp tags to deactivate them, so you can see the code - it's the same code that clicking on the insert image icon uses)
[ IMG ]photo_url[ /IMG ]

[ IMG ]photo_url[ /IMG ]

[ IMG ]photo_url[ /IMG ]

Here's a real world example:

Venice, Pigeons by Bobfrance.
[ IMG ]http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/10355/med_U10355I1361269015.SEQ.1.jpg[ /IMG ]

Uffington, Oxfordshire by Ourmanintangier.
[ IMG ]http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/8001/med_U8001I1361281979.SEQ.0.jpg[ /IMG ]

Untitled by Semrich.
[ IMG ]http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/5622/med_U5622I1361291531.SEQ.0.jpg[ /IMG ]

Old 03-21-2013   #32
hlockwood

For those whose images are on pbase, here is how I was able to post an image:

In pbase, display the image and go to "edit this image." On the right side of the screen you'll see the URL to use (I'll add spaces, following Lynn, so that the image won't actually appear.)

Change http://www.pbase.com/hlockwood/image...8416/medium.jp g to

[ IMG]http://www.pbase.com/hlockwood/image/134908416/medium.jpg[ /IMG] or for the larger image,

[ IMG]http://www.pbase.com/hlockwood/image/134908416/original.jpg[ /IMG]

without spaces

Hopes this works

Leica M7/0.85, Hexar RF, M9-P and a bunch of lenses.

Uploading Issue...
Old 03-27-2013   #33
Colin G.

Uploading Issue...

Hi, I'm trying to create a thread and add photos to it from my Flickr account, though I can't seem to attach any photos. I just set up a Flickr account a few days ago. In order to attach a photo, I thought I needed to copy the HTML link found in the Share tab above each photo that is within the size restrictions of RFF...so I choose Medium (500 x 333). However, when I paste the HTML in the appropriate field to attach the photo, I get a message of Invalid File. Can someone please advise on this? Am I missing something here?

Old 03-27-2013   #34
mbisc
Silver Halide User

I struggled with this as well for a while -- on the Flickr side, you need to make sure that the image is publicly visible (i.e. not private). Then under "Share" select the BB code (not the HTML code) and copy it (make sure you're not missing any characters) - and voila!

(One thing I always do is hit "Preview Post" to make sure it worked...

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is too short for cheap film

Flickr
----------------------------------------------------------------

Old 03-27-2013   #35
Colin G.

Thank you. That was very helpful.

Old 04-26-2013   #36
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Quote:
The simplest way to post an image into a message thread from flickr is to
- open the image page on Flickr
- click the Share button
- click the "grab the HTML/BB code" option
- select the BBCode option
- copy the code
- paste the code into a message editor here
I tried Godfrey's approach and pasted the code in the mesage body but instead of showing the photo, it shows the code. What am I doing wrong?
You didn't click the BBCode option. For example, choosing the same photo on Flickr, copy and paste in the code with HTML chosen

Choose BBCode, copy and paste the code for the same photo

G

Old 04-26-2013   #37
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmerfralick View Post
Probably very dumb question, but why the need for flickr or any other hosting site?
all of these methods still feel cumbersome to me. Everything else I do on my mac seems so simple, except posting on this site. I beginning to think I'm simple! i guess I will have to get my daughter to teach me.
If you want your photos to be shared over the web, you have to post them on a web server somewhere. Whether its your own web server, flickr, the RFF gallery, whatever ... It must be a web server. Flickr.com used that way is simply a web server for you to store photos on.

The mechanisms for posting photos saved on a web server to other web presentation mechanisms vary. Flick.com to RFF seems very simple to me.

G

Old 04-26-2013   #38
rhl-oregon
jolly good dog Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill58 View Post
Thanks very much, I know how to post an image in a thread, but how do I post in the gallery?
Open the Gallery, click the Gallery tab, look down to "Upload photos." You'll be prompted to browse your computer (or cloud applications) for the image.

If you use LR, you'll want to have exported to a HD or cloud folder the images you want to upload, based on the Gallery restrictions (JPG no bigger than 390KB). I use LR4, export to a Dropbox titled Exports. After I've uploaded them to RFF Gallery and/or Tumblr, I can clean up the folder.

Hope that helps.

Robert Hill Long Tumblr

Old 05-30-2013   #39
johnwolf

How about a procedure for linking to an image housed in Zenfolio?
  1. In ZF, display the desired gallery.
  2. From the My Zenfolio dropdown choose Edit this Photo.
  3. Click on the desired photo.
  4. In the right column, click Share.
  5. Click Direct link to images.
  6. Click the desired size.
  7. Right-Click (PC) and choose Copy (to clipboard).
  8. Back in RFF, click the Insert Image button.
  9. Paste the URL into the field.
  10. Click OK.

Old 09-02-2013   #40
ThreeToedSlothLuke

I must be doing something wrong.

I uploaded the same photo to Flikr and 500px. Inserting the image from Flikr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101214548@N06/9659069980/

and 500px:

http://500px.com/photo/44951654

With 'preview' I get the little blue box with question mark for both. If I right click and "open image in new..." (tab or window) it works.

What magic step am I missing?