Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M10, 240 family, M-P, M60

Old 01-15-2015   #121
Manuel Patino

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Thank you for providing the link, Roger. I enjoyed going over the write-up and the posted images. I agree 100% with your final conclusions. I have an M8.2 and an M9, and they make a wonderful combo. I do not need shutter speed to be 1/8000.
I don't have experience with the M8, M8.2 and I am sure the IQ is quite good. But I don't understand why you would not need/want 1/8000 shutter speed... I have had to purchase and use ND filters just because the shutter speed of the M240 does not go high enough... I like shooting my Lux wide open and it's not possible to do it in bright light without ND filters.

Old 01-15-2015   #122
Keyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann Espiritu View Post
The M8's are finished in black chrome, and the M240's use black paint. I'm in the minority that prefer the black chrome finish over the painted versions. The matte finish just looks nicer than the paint finish to me. It also feels a little cooler in the hand, versus the softer feel of paint.

I also prefer the grey ME over the steel grey M9.
Funny... I always wanted a black paint M9 so it would brass overtime... unlike my M8 that doesnt really brass the way the paint does.

Old 01-15-2015   #123
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
M240 hands down. The others wont even come close at high ISO. They don't even offer ISO 6400 and certainly wont give even marginal results at much lower ISO numbers.
I shoot dancers in dimly lit clubs at 1/90 f1.4 ISO 6400 and get very usable images (granted, B&W), but that is just out of the question with the other cameras. Maybe a carefully constructed test at native ISO with equivalent lenses might allow for an argument, in real life there is no contest IMHO.

This is a JPG right out of the camera.

Nice Manuel. I would be very happy with this kind of result in my club shooting.

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

Gear: more than enough, film and digital

My Flickr

Old 01-16-2015   #124
Manuel Patino

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post
Nice Manuel. I would be very happy with this kind of result in my club shooting.
Thank you, I was very pleased with the result. They did turn more lights on for the show, but it was still fairly dim. I set the auto ISO to 6400 and shutter speed to 1/90.

Here is another shot but in a much darker corner where people were watching the show.

Old 01-16-2015   #125
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
M240 hands down. The others wont even come close at high ISO. They don't even offer ISO 6400 and certainly wont give even marginal results at much lower ISO numbers.
I shoot dancers in dimly lit clubs at 1/90 f1.4 ISO 6400 and get very usable images (granted, B&W), but that is just out of the question with the other cameras. Maybe a carefully constructed test at native ISO with equivalent lenses might allow for an argument, in real life there is no contest IMHO.

This is a JPG right out of the camera.

For this kind of work you want a Monochrom

jaapvphotography

Old 01-17-2015   #126
Manuel Patino

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
LOL! Of course I would like to add a Monochrome to my collection . However, in my case wife considerations (financial considerations) are a factor...

I do believe finally after all these years of purchases and sales and gyrations with gear, that I'm not limited by the camera or glass anymore. I mostly need to improve myself

Old 01-17-2015   #127
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
MM files have remarkable malleability in the shadows. They open up beautifully. Manuel's dance files look really nice, making me think the M240 comes close

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

Gear: more than enough, film and digital

My Flickr

Old 07-31-2015   #128
Cyriljay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post
MM files have remarkable malleability in the shadows. They open up beautifully. Manuel's dance files look really nice, making me think the M240 comes close
Ok someone else is going to say ,,,, you can do much more better with the New monochrome. of course improvising is some thing too, we have to learn to be a creative person . If you are running after gear they don't help you to change your photography. It is your head and the mind set that every thing . You have to forget about the camera and camera should be kept behind your mind to be a creative photographer.