Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Old 03-19-2012   #81
david.elliott

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_n View Post
I would have sent mine to Krikor too and many weeks ago I sent him an email asking if I could send him my recently acquired E3 for a checkup. I got a form bounce back from his address promising a reply but I never heard back from him. Then I read some rather uncomplimentary things on APUG and decided to send it to Essex Camera as reported above in post #65.

It took exactly 5 weeks to come back but they've done a beautiful job with it. It's not the first time I've used Essex so I'm not really surprised at the quality of the work but they clearly took note of my comments and acted on them. Essex is not a famous name like Fleenor or Maralian but they are very competent (and apparently have a good supply of spare parts). I had no qualms about sending my new-looking E3 to them and I'm very happy with the results. The cost was $170 including return shipping.
good to know. thanks!

Old 04-01-2012   #82
hyatt

Does anyone have contact information for Karl Ehlers? I'd love to have him take a look at my newly acquired Rolleiflex Automat Model 1.

Old 07-22-2012   #83
bugmenot

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpalm View Post
It will cost $200 here in Vancouver.
I would highly appreciate to know where in Vancouver I could take my Rolleiflex as well. Seems like a reasonable price, and I know there are a lot of good camera technicians around town. I just have a hard time finding them.

Old 07-23-2012   #84
jwicaksana
Jakarta, Indonesia

May someone please refer me to a Rollei technician in Asia region? Preferably in Singapore? Thank you.

Jonathan

MOXS Photography

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwicaksana

Old 07-23-2012   #85
craygc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwicaksana View Post
May someone please refer me to a Rollei technician in Asia region? Preferably in Singapore? Thank you.
Drop a line to Jimmy Koh at [email protected] and ask for his brothers contact details (in Singapore) for Rollei repairs. Both Jimmy (whose in the US) and his brother were factory trained repairmen.

Old 07-23-2012   #86
Crazy Fedya

+1 for Jimmy Koh.

Old 07-23-2012   #87
jwicaksana
Jakarta, Indonesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Fedya View Post
+1 for Jimmy Koh.
Many thanks!

Jonathan

MOXS Photography

Old 07-27-2012   #88
sharpey

hey jwicaksana, would you mind letting me know if you get a reply from kohscamera... may need my 2.8c serviced here in Singpaore also.

Cheers.

Old 09-10-2012   #89
mccolalx

I just got a white face 2.8f back from Krimar. It had been sitting for about 30 years in a less than ideal storage place and needed about everything that could be done to it done to it (CLA wise)...shutter wouldn't fire, all kinds of fungus in the viewing lens, meter wouldn't work, etc.
I got it back from Krikor very quickly, and even with a new maxwell screen, it was incredibly reasonable. Plus, Krikor is great to deal with...super communicative and just an all around pleasant person.
The camera is like brand new and operates flawlessly. I'll definitely send more stuff to him.

Old 09-10-2012   #90
jwicaksana
Jakarta, Indonesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpey View Post
hey jwicaksana, would you mind letting me know if you get a reply from kohscamera... may need my 2.8c serviced here in Singpaore also.

Cheers.
Hi sharpey, I haven't wrote to Jimmy simply cos my new Rolleicord turned out to work just fine. As for Singapore Rollei tech, many recommend Mr. Philip Tay, who was factory trained. Maybe he's Jimmy's brother?

Jonathan

MOXS Photography

Rollei Repair in Washington DC
Old 10-11-2012   #91
TheFlyingCamera

Rollei Repair in Washington DC

I don't know if he was factory trained, but I recently had my 2.8E overhauled at Pro Photo here in Washington DC. It had a complete cleaning, shutter lube and adjust, film transport lube and adjust, focusing mechanism lube and adjust, and the lenses adjusted to synch focus, for $450. He had it done in about 3 - 3 1/2 weeks. Even though it was a bit more than what some others have paid, the fast turnaround and (for me as I'm local) no shipping made up the difference. I think his price is probably within the ballpark, as he quotes the same price as Harry Fleenor and Kirkor for installing the Maxwell screen, which I may have him do come christmastime. Pro Photo's URL is

http://www.prophoto-dc.com/

Old 10-11-2012   #92
peter_n
~

I think Fleenor and Maralian are at the high end of the market in terms of pricing and I'm not quite sure why they're so expensive. There are a number of highly competent technicians who charge a lot less.

My RFF Gallery

Old 10-11-2012   #93
f16sunshine

Karl Ehlers....

Technically he is retired. That said I have had two Rolleiflex overhauls done by Karl Ehlers. He lives not far from Seattle as I do so I actually picked the 2.8D up in person. Great guy and, he has all the factory calibration equiptment right there in his home shop. If you are in the pacific NW try to find him. I think he is among the best you can find. Very reasonable fee as well!

Old 10-12-2012   #94
Argenticien
Dave

Essex Camera have just done done my 2.8E for USD 186 + return shipping. That's their standard CLA price of 160 + 26 extra for some aspect of this camera's repairs that counts as being beyond a CLA. (Presumably, the repairs of two fiddly little pins.) A very good deal for some high-quality work, I think. I'd recommend them. They also did well with a Voigtlander Vitessa (yikes!) that I sent a few months ago.

See this thread for discussion of what was wrong with the 2.8E, and especially post No. 22 saying which problems got fixed (basically all except the meter and the screen/fresnel).

--Dave

Old 10-13-2012   #95
peter_n
~

Essex Camera also did a terrific job on my 3.5E3 at $170 including shipping. See post #83 above. The camera is like new.

My RFF Gallery

Old 10-13-2012   #96
DerekF

Great timing for this thread to come back because I have to send my Rolleiflex to get checked out for a shutter problem. I contacted both Krikor and Fleenor (who had done an overhaul on this Rolleiflex a few years ago for its previous owner) and both of them said they couldn't guarantee the lubricants would work in sub-zero temperatures due to the lubricants they use.

Can anyone recommend someone who might be able to get the Rolleiflex to work in cold temperatures?

Old 11-18-2012   #97
Dan Daniel

My recent dealing with Harry Fleenor lead me to believe that he has a flat rate system for basic services. I had some focus system problems that need adjustment. WHile he has it apart I figured this was ag ood time to get the wind system overhauled and checked out. This is on a 2.8C Xenotar.

Focus system overhaul- $189
transport overhaul- $134

I haven't received the camera back, but it certainly won't be worse than the poor work Krimar Photo did on my focus system, along with $150 of unauthorized work.

Old 11-18-2012   #98
peter_n
~

Did you not send it back to Krimar Photo to fix the focus problem?

My RFF Gallery

Old 11-19-2012   #99
Dan Daniel

Quote:
Did you not send it back to Krimar Photo to fix the focus problem?
It came back with worse focus slop/backlash and with increased movement and noise during film winding, as if the lens board or focus rails were loose. After that, I gave up on him and sent it to Fleenor. Krimar may be excellent on F models, but I wouldn't recommend him for a 2.8C in any form. And doing unauthorized work is not the right way to run a business. I hope others continue to have success with him, but I did not.

Old 11-19-2012   #100
Gumby

YIKES... your total investment in that particular camrea must be, ummmm, a lot.

Old 11-19-2012   #101
peter_n
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
... Krimar may be excellent on F models, but I wouldn't recommend him for a 2.8C in any form. And doing unauthorized work is not the right way to run a business. I hope others continue to have success with him, but I did not.
Agreed. I read elsewhere that he only likes to work on certain models. I emailed him to ask if I could send him mine (a 3.5 E3) and he never responded.

My RFF Gallery

Old 11-20-2012   #102
Dan Daniel

Quote:
Agreed. I read elsewhere that he only likes to work on certain models. I emailed him to ask if I could send him mine (a 3.5 E3) and he never responded.
I have heard that he doesn't look at email regularly and that calling is the way to reach him. Since the E3 was made concurrently with the F series, I would expect him to do work on them.

I spoke to Krikor before sending my camera in. I asked very clearly if he would work on a C. He said sure, send it in.

When I received the 'repaired' camera, I called him to discuss it. When I told him how the focus was acting, he said that it was a C, an old camera, that he couldn't get parts, very old. I said that I had specifically said in my note with the camera that I understood this and wanted him to evaluate it. I asked him why he put a new mirror and spool knob onto a body that he claims is worn out, and why he told me that the camera was 'perfect' when he called to tell me that the work was done. At that point, he said that if I insisted I could send the camera back and he would look at it.

(He installed the new parts without authorization; I had requested a quote only on those items.)

Krikor should be more honest in what cameras he will work on and more ethical in how he proceeds to take people's money while holding their camera hostage. Again, I understand and believe that he has been a great service to a large number of people, but for me he was a failure.

Old 11-20-2012   #103
Paddy C
Unused film collector

Man, I've been fence-sitting on my 2.8F for a year and a half now. Film advance isn't working. I just feel like it's this big leap of faith to package it up and send it for repair.

I think it's about time I made a decision and got it working again.

Old 11-20-2012   #104
JeffL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy C View Post
Man, I've been fence-sitting on my 2.8F for a year and a half now. Film advance isn't working. I just feel like it's this big leap of faith to package it up and send it for repair.

I think it's about time I made a decision and got it working again.

Fleenor and Kuschnik have both done great work for me. I hear Paul Ebel has a good rep too - I have never used him. Your location might have an impact on who you send your camera to.

Old 11-20-2012   #105
Paddy C
Unused film collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffL View Post
Fleenor and Kuschnik have both done great work for me. I hear Paul Ebel has a good rep too - I have never used him. Your location might have an impact on who you send your camera to.
In Ottawa. I have been alternating between Fleenor and Krikor.

The viewing mirror inside the camera shows some corrosion and I would love to have that replaced if possible. I know a few of the repair options don't have much in the way of parts.

Old 11-20-2012   #106
JeffL

Mirrors are available on line, the site escapes me.
I'm tried thinking, but nothing happened...
I have heard that Kindermann (Gerry?) in Toronto is good with Rollei. There was a guy in Vancouver. I emailed him, but he had retired from Rollei repair and sold his parts to Fleenor.
There's Mark Hansen in the US as well.
Several years ago I tried to have my Rollei serviced in Toronto. It was sent out to an "expert" - I don't know who. They gouged the lens retaining ring, sent it back and said the camera was un-servicable. I sent it to Jurgen Kuschnik (when he lived in California) who did a great job. He was perplexed when I told him that I was told the camera "wouldn't come apart". The screws came out like they were put in yesterday and not 1937. The whole experience made me a little gun shy about repair shops that don't have a great rep with specific types of cameras. Just my experience.

Here's the mirror place - http://www.uscamera.com/rflextlr001.htm

I added a Maxwell screen to my 3.5F. What a difference!

Last edited by JeffL : 11-20-2012 at 16:13. Reason: additional info

Old 11-20-2012   #107
DerekF

Sent my 3.5E1 to Krikor a few weeks ago. Very communicative, seemed to insist on discussing and arranging the repairs over the phone as opposed to email. He replaced the shutter spring for about $150..? Super fast repair, ended up sending my Rolleiflex back to me within two days of him receiving it.

The service seems good (haven't developed any film yet, but the shutter DOES fire when I want it to and the speeds sound about right), my only gripe being that he insisted on shipping it back to me by UPS which ended up costing me an extra $60 in brokerage fees.

I would have considered sending it to Kinderman but by the time he replied to my email (over a week after I sent him a query), my Rolleiflex was on its way to Krikor.

Last edited by DerekF : 11-20-2012 at 16:30. Reason: adding note about Kinderman

Old 11-21-2012   #108
peter_n
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
I have heard that he doesn't look at email regularly and that calling is the way to reach him.
Maybe that's it then. I run a (very) small consulting business and go out of my way to communicate with clients whatever which way they want and whenever they want. I look for that kind of customer experience with people who provide services to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy C View Post
Essex Camera serviced my 3.5 E3 and did a wonderful job. Since you're in Canada, send them an email asking if they could return the package via USPS and also fill out a customs declaration that it's a repair. I've sent more than one camera to them and they do excellent work (and they seem to have Rolleiflex spare parts).

My RFF Gallery

Old 12-12-2012   #109
flip
良かったね!

koniflex slow shutter repair quote in Japan: 11000yen.

Old 12-12-2012   #110
marduk

I've had two Rolleis CLAd by Werner Bruer of Classic Fototechnik in Germany. Mr.Bruer is a former Rollei factory technician. It took him 1-2 days after receiving the camera to do the job and send me an invoice. My 2.8C was recovered in Griptac, viewfinder lens cleaned, rewind lever, strap ears and locking mechanism completely replaced, shutter overhauled and taking lens cleaned as well as overall cosmetics was much improved. All for 120 euros! The other Rollei got a new film door locking pin for 25 euro. Great job and quick communication. I don't know how good he is with English though.

Old 12-13-2012   #111
jwicaksana
Jakarta, Indonesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwicaksana View Post
Hi sharpey, I haven't wrote to Jimmy simply cos my new Rolleicord turned out to work just fine. As for Singapore Rollei tech, many recommend Mr. Philip Tay, who was factory trained. Maybe he's Jimmy's brother?
An update for the post above. I sent an email to Mr. Philip Tay, and a few days after, he called me! What a pleasant surprise. He quoted SGD 280 to do a complete overhaul for a Rollei TLR, and he said it'll take around 2 weeks to do the job. Then we talked a little more about my camera's condition, and after describing its condition and how the pictures turn out, he concluded, if you feel comfortable with it, just use it, no need for a repair, unless it affects usability or resulting images.

He has a solid reputation around Singapore and SE Asian countries, if you want to contact him, the address is: [email protected]

Jonathan

MOXS Photography

Old 01-17-2013   #112
baachitraka

I may be picking Rolleicord Va soon, but I have no idea about the condition yet.

How much you guys have paid for CLA?

Old 01-17-2013   #113
peter_n
~

That's what this thread is all about!

My RFF Gallery

Old 02-11-2013   #114
Tras Krom

I vote for Jurgen Kuschnik in Germany also. Rollei trained professional, excellent service and turnaround time. From what I heard and experienced myself -he is one of, or may be even the best out there.

Old 02-11-2013   #115
baachitraka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tras Krom View Post
I vote for Jurgen Kuschnik in Germany also. Rollei trained professional, excellent service and turnaround time. From what I heard and experienced myself -he is one of, or may be even the best out there.
Bad news is that Mr. Juergen stop repairing cameras. I was disappointed to read his mail some weeks ago. :-(

Old 02-11-2013   #116
Tras Krom

Really? Any explanations from him? Afaik this is his main business..

Old 02-12-2013   #117
Vobluda

Unfortunately Jürgen died unexpectedly last week at home:///

Old 02-13-2013   #118
dpt2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vobluda View Post
Unfortunately Jürgen died unexpectedly last week at home:///
Tragic news. RIP.

Old 03-08-2013   #119
Art Vandalay
Imported from Detroit

Just got a 3.5F back from Krimar - his work really is super. And, I got my Rollei back in 6 days. My total repair bill was $300, which included a total CLA, lens adjustment, meter adjustment with parts and removal of a flash bracket (which was fixed to the camera body). He even re-skinned the side of the camera where the bracket was attached. Super smooth and clean. I almost didn't recognize it when I pulled it out of the box. He even cleans the frame number counter! My Rollei reeked of cigarette smoke and now you can barely tell.

Given the turn-around time and the quality of the work I'm very, very happy.

Now, I'll be sending my other 3.5F to him.

Old 04-19-2013   #120
Platinum RF

My local repairman whom Robert has used, quote me $400-500 for a 2.8E CLA.