Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Old 03-16-2011   #41
hientp

sent my 3.5f to Krimar on Monday and got back on Wed, haven't check it yet but seem it is very smooth, $150 for cla is reasonable. no complaint about

Old 03-16-2011   #42
Steve M.

Paul Ebel. He's as good or better than anyone else, and he charged me $170 plus shipping about a year ago. Excellent repairman, and great communication. He won't leave you wondering when your camera will be completed, and when it comes back it will be very smooth.

Old 03-16-2011   #43
ray*j*gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC JC86 View Post
Essex Camera $140.95 a couple months ago... I've had some terrible experiences with other places that charge less. OTOH, I've had multiple Rolleiflex and other TLRs done by Essex with a 0% refusal/return rate and all looking and working beautiful. Essex is one of those places that does almost EVERYTHING from digital to really esoteric Russian cameras and everything in between. I have, however, dealt with a few places with the same MO that were just butchers plain and simple, despite people extolling their virtues simply because they could fix the squeal in an A-1.
Agree with James..... Essex has worked on 5 of my cameras over the years and very different formats.....all done well, quickly and reasonably.

Old 03-16-2011   #44
Matus

I recall paying around 125 Euro for shutter CLA (film transport did not need it) by Jurgen Kuschnik in Germany last year. Total CLA would have been around 200 euro or so. The 125 euro included fixing a loose tripod mount some 1 or 2 small details (shutter release I guess). Jurgen also provided me measured shutter times before and after the CLA.
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots

Old 01-21-2012   #45
thompsonks

IMO the main issue is whether or not you might need parts. Mark Hansen (who does good work) has few parts and Harry Fleenor mentioned he wanted a particular model for parts. Rolleis-for-parts sell for impressive prices on xBay.

Krikor has had plenty of parts available for everything I've needed. So I send cameras to Mark if they just need a bit of cleaning & adjustment, and to Krikor if I suspect they need parts.

Krikor once put a mint crank on an F for me for free, because he did a lot of other work on it & didn't think the old one looked good enough for the rest of the camera.

Kirk

Old 01-21-2012   #46
Vics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matus View Post
I recall paying around 125 Euro for shutter CLA (film transport did not need it) by Jurgen Kuschnik in Germany last year. Total CLA would have been around 200 euro or so. The 125 euro included fixing a loose tripod mount some 1 or 2 small details (shutter release I guess). Jurgen also provided me measured shutter times before and after the CLA.
Harry Fleenor is quoting $134 for shutter overhaul on a 2.8F on his site so, about the same or a bit less.

My Flickr

Old 01-21-2012   #47
Acidic_Lemon

Harry Fleenor told me he will assess my 3.5F when I shipped it out to him. Does anyone know if he give estimated quotations or he will based on current condition when received? Is Krikor faster than Fleenor in terms of a CLA overhaul and service charges-wise?

I sent out my overly modified automat to Mark Hansen. His quote is as follows:

For a Shutter CLA you are looking at 90-120 dollars, with the the above. Film transport is 120 dollars, New mirror is 20.

Old 01-22-2012   #48
JeffL

Maybe wait till your automat is back from Mark Hansen . If you like the job he did, sent the 3.5F. Just a thought. I have had Fleenor service my 3.5F and he did a great job. If you're in a hurry try Paul Ebel. I have not used him but have read nothing but good reports. I got a Maxwell screen for the 3.5F and put it in myself - what a difference!

Old 01-31-2012   #49
Frontman

Some people say that "you get what you pay for", and this often applies to camera repairs. I am an amatuer repairer myself, and I come across a lot of cameras which have been Mickey-moused by someone in the past. That said, the Rolleiflex is not that complicated of a camera, in fact, it is actually quite simple in comparison to many newer and less expensive cameras. I had no difficulty cleaning and adjusting the shutter and film transport in a couple of my Rolleis, and synchronizing the lenses was a much less complicated job than I expected it to be. I found cleaning the shutter mechanism in a Canonet QL17 to be far more challenging, but it costs far less to get a CLA for a Canonet than for a Rolleiflex.

Old 01-31-2012   #50
Robert Lai

I paid $600 to Harry Fleenor for overhaul of a 3.5F. That included installation of a Maxwell screen, which cost $200. It took over 4 months to get the camera back.

11 months later, I sent it to Clarence Gass of Mission KS, who had to install a new main shutter spring, and re-overhaul the camera. Cost was $200.
Clarence took 1 month, mainly because it was around Christmas, and he had to wait for the spring to come from Germany. I just got the camera back. It is silky smooth, and the shutter and self timer works reliably now.

I would recommend Clarence the first time around.

Old 02-01-2012   #51
oftheherd

Interesting thread. Thanks for all the information. I have a Rolleiflex I have often thought about having CLAd/rebuilt as needed. It works, but the focus knob is a little stiff as if bent.

Old 02-01-2012   #52
JeffGreene
(@)^(@)

I have used Krikor Maralian. He averages about $300 for a general CLA and does excellent work. He has worked on two of my Automats and my 2.8F.

http://e-photobooks.com/cartier-bres...ve-moment.html

(Sony RX1) (Epson RD1) (Leica M6, M4-P, M2) (Rolleiflex 2.8F, MX-EVS)

Old 02-01-2012   #53
pschauss

+1 for Krikor. About four and a half years ago I had him work on a Rolleicord Va which I had purchased on Ebay for $100. For $218 he cleaned and adjusted the shutter, adjusted the focus and front alignment, replaced the light seals, and replaced the frame counter. With luck the camera won't need service again until I pass it on to my grandchildren.

Old 02-01-2012   #54
dogberryjr
[Pithy phrase]

Paul Ebel resurrected my 2.8E in about six weeks. It was in rough shape. His charges were very reasonable, under $250 as I recall.

Old 02-01-2012   #55
whitecat
Lone Range(find)er

Krikor is the best. Did 3 for me......but could not service my FW.

Zeiss Ikon Zm, Olympus Trip, Rolleiflex FX, Yashica Electro 35, Nikon 35 TI, Nikon 28 TI, Widelux F7, Contax TVS III, Zeiss Ikon 35, Minox, Olympus 35 EE3, Konica AA 35, Minox 35 GT, Canonet QL17, and many more....

Old 02-01-2012   #56
gdmcclintock

Has anyone had a Rolleiflex that could not be repaired? I have a Rolleiflex whose focus Krikor was unable to calibrate.

Old 02-01-2012   #57
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
Krikor is the best. Did 3 for me......but could not service my FW.
What's an "FW"?

I agree about Krikor 100%. And his turnaround time is stunning. He cannot fix things for which he has no parts -- like the meter. But he was able to replace the selenium sensor on my 2.8F recently. Mechanical parts he's probably able to cannibalize if necessary.

Old 02-01-2012   #58
JeffL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNickon View Post
What's an "FW"?
Its a new wide angle Rolleiflex.

Old 02-17-2012   #59
canetsbe

Paul Ebel did my 2.8E and 3.5F for $188 each plus insured shipping. The cameras were rough and they came back better but wasn't exactly a gigantic difference. I'd say he's good at doing shutters and focus but he didn't improve the smoothness of the cameras as much as I had hoped (though I'm no repairman and have no idea if any more could be done).

Old 02-17-2012   #60
Robert Lai

Well my 3.5F has been to both coasts as well as the midwest now.
I called Krikor, and he had parts to fix the meter. He was done within a day of the camera arriving in NJ. Upon arrival, I checked it with my Gossen Luna Pro F which I know is accurate. Perfection!

Had I known, I would have gone to Krikor the first time around.

BTW - price for new selenium cell and meter movement plus installation and calibration was $250.

Old 02-17-2012   #61
srtiwari
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lai View Post
Well my 3.5F has been to both coasts as well as the midwest now.
I called Krikor, and he had parts to fix the meter. He was done within a day of the camera arriving in NJ. Upon arrival, I checked it with my Gossen Luna Pro F which I know is accurate. Perfection!

Had I known, I would have gone to Krikor the first time around.

BTW - price for new selenium cell and meter movement plus installation and calibration was $250.
Hi Robert,
In my case, the Midwest worked out great. Thank you.
Subhash

Old 02-23-2012   #62
Red Rock Bill

Just got a call from Krikor ....my film wind is messed,shutter is messed and a couple of other issues....$350.00 repair quote...on my 2.8 E2...it's been down for 15 years ...time to get her going...I have a project in mind and need that camera...well worth it to me as a broken camera has no value unless it's for parts.Regards,Bill

Old 02-23-2012   #63
peter_n
~

Essex Camera have my 3.5 E3 at the mo and it's $170 including return shipping.

My RFF Gallery

Old 02-26-2012   #64
freax

I paid only 70 euros this week to a complete overhaul ;-) Now it works like a clock !

Old 02-26-2012   #65
marduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by freax View Post
I paid only 70 euros this week to a complete overhaul ;-) Now it works like a clock !
Great, I would be interested to hear about the place and technician, because I have a 2.8C lying somewhere that could use a CLA :-) I prefer to have it done in Europe.

Old 02-26-2012   #66
JeffL

Quote:
Originally Posted by marduk View Post
Great, I would be interested to hear about the place and technician, because I have a 2.8C lying somewhere that could use a CLA :-) I prefer to have it done in Europe.
Try Jurgen Kuschnik in Germany. He worked for Rollei and did a great job on my Automat.

http://www.jurgenkuschnik.com/

Old 02-27-2012   #67
Shaocaholica

I'm still trying to figure out who's best to send a broken MX-EVS to. It seems that Harry has the most tools/parts(?) Or can Krikor fix anything Rolleiflex? Not just CLA.

Old 02-27-2012   #68
Hibbs
R.I.P. Charlie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpalm View Post
It will cost $200 here in Vancouver.
Hey flyingpalm...don't currently have a Rollei but I'd sure like to know who there is in Vancouver. Future reference.

~ Hibbs

Old 02-27-2012   #69
JeffGreene
(@)^(@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaocaholica View Post
I'm still trying to figure out who's best to send a broken MX-EVS to. It seems that Harry has the most tools/parts(?) Or can Krikor fix anything Rolleiflex? Not just CLA.
Krikor has worked on two of my MX-EVSs, a Xenar and a Tessar, which I sold recently. Krikor seems to be $350 no matter what. I've never heard of a lower price from him. Anyway, I would also like to recommend Mark Hanson. He's done great work on my Primo.

Rolleis seem very hot now thanks to Vivian Maier. A young fellow at my Camera Club recently offered me a ridiculous amount of money for my 2.8F Planar. I was tempted, but know I would never be able to get another in the condition mine's in. I only have the MX-EVS Xenar and the 2.8F, but use them practically every day.

http://e-photobooks.com/cartier-bres...ve-moment.html

(Sony RX1) (Epson RD1) (Leica M6, M4-P, M2) (Rolleiflex 2.8F, MX-EVS)

Old 02-27-2012   #70
freax

Is a man that is not connected to internet, still writes with fountain pens and wears mechanic watches, so I think you must go there :-) You can take advantage and have some holidays in Porto ;-)
Anyway the address is below or link to Google Maps.
Is a old man that knows every camera inside in and out. And if there isn't a component made anymore, he does it on his machines ! Unbelievable...

Manuel Adriano Silva
Rua de Coutinho de Azevedo 64
4000-187 Porto
Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by marduk View Post

Old 02-27-2012   #71
marduk

Great, thanks to all who responded to me!

A vote for Fred
Old 02-27-2012   #72
luckydave

A vote for Fred

I had my (father's) MX-EVS overhauled (both shutter and transport) by Fred at International Camera Tech (ictcamera.com) in Mountain View, CA about 2 years ago, after it sat for ~20 years. $350, and he also re-dyed the worn leatherette, and apologized that it would take so long, because he had a backlog.

He's got some pricing on his website, and always some interesting stuff for sale in the cases in the shop - and I recommend him without reservation.

I'd feared I payed a silly valley tax, but it appears that his pricing is in line with other "trained by Rollei" folks, even if he's not so famous.

Old 03-01-2012   #73
Red Rock Bill

My Rollei 2.8 E model just arrived back from Krikor Maralian (Krimar Photo Shop) and from the looks of the invoice and what was repaired and replaced I'd say very good value for the money spent.Best of all it arrived in plenty of time to use on my upcoming road trip.Thank you Krikor. Regards,Bill

Old 03-11-2012   #74
Acidic_Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidic_Lemon View Post
Harry Fleenor told me he will assess my 3.5F when I shipped it out to him. Does anyone know if he give estimated quotations or he will based on current condition when received? Is Krikor faster than Fleenor in terms of a CLA overhaul and service charges-wise?

I sent out my overly modified automat to Mark Hansen. His quote is as follows:

For a Shutter CLA you are looking at 90-120 dollars, with the the above. Film transport is 120 dollars, New mirror is 20.

For Mark Hansen's CLA on my automat: Total bill + shipping came up to USD155.

It has been shipped and will update once I receive it

Old 03-19-2012   #75
karlori
Digital Refugee

I have a questions regarding an 2.8C I've purchased but not yet received, where in Europe could I send the camera when it arrives, and did anyone ever do a re-coating of the taking lens ?
The camera is perfect just has a few cleaning marks on the taking lens which I'd rather not look at daily, Its nothing much but i am a damned perfectionist when gear is in question.

TiA

Old 03-19-2012   #76
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlori View Post
I have a questions regarding an 2.8C I've purchased but not yet received, where in Europe could I send the camera when it arrives, and did anyone ever do a re-coating of the taking lens ?
The camera is perfect just has a few cleaning marks on the taking lens which I'd rather not look at daily, Its nothing much but i am a damned perfectionist when gear is in question.

TiA
Honestly, if the damage is not severe, leave it as is. In order to re-coat the lens, the old coating first has to be polished off. I don't pretend to have enough experience or expertise about this to offer any opinions with authority, but I have certainly read that this process can potentially affect the profile of the front lens element which, of course, means it might impact on sharpness across the frame. I am sure there must be firms such as the well-regarded Focal Point who can perform this with satisfactory results that do not compromise optical performance, however there is always a small risk the glass will fracture in the process. I have previously discussed this exact point with my local optical manufacturer and repairer on whose advice my remarks are based.

I have a 2.8D here that will most likely need this treatment when I get around to it, but it has quite bad coating deterioration, including what looks like a fingerprint etched into the coating (I assume the result of etching by skin acids over an extended period, as I can't imagine how else this could have occurred). The lens is a Xenotar, of course.

Is the lens of your 2.8C a Xenotar or Planar? I'm guessing Xenotar, these are infamous for coating defects as they have aged. Both lenses were available in the 2.8C though. The Xenotar has a front cell that is a single piece of glass. As I have researched myself, I understand that the 2.8 Planars are a bonded front pair making polishing and re-coating more complex.

The bottom line is if the marks are minor as you say there is little to gain and much, potentially, to lose by attempting repair. Image quality will not be improved, whether vanity alone is worth the expense and risk is for you to decide, ultimately...
Regards,
Brett

Old 03-19-2012   #77
whitecat
Lone Range(find)er

Another thumbs up for Krikor.

Zeiss Ikon Zm, Olympus Trip, Rolleiflex FX, Yashica Electro 35, Nikon 35 TI, Nikon 28 TI, Widelux F7, Contax TVS III, Zeiss Ikon 35, Minox, Olympus 35 EE3, Konica AA 35, Minox 35 GT, Canonet QL17, and many more....

Old 03-19-2012   #78
karlori
Digital Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
Honestly, if the damage is not severe, leave it as is. In order to re-coat the lens, the old coating first has to be polished off. I don't pretend to have enough experience or expertise about this to offer any opinions with authority, but I have certainly read that this process can potentially affect the profile of the front lens element which, of course, means it might impact on sharpness across the frame. I am sure there must be firms such as the well-regarded Focal Point who can perform this with satisfactory results that do not compromise optical performance, however there is always a small risk the glass will fracture in the process. I have previously discussed this exact point with my local optical manufacturer and repairer on whose advice my remarks are based.

I have a 2.8D here that will most likely need this treatment when I get around to it, but it has quite bad coating deterioration, including what looks like a fingerprint etched into the coating (I assume the result of etching by skin acids over an extended period, as I can't imagine how else this could have occurred). The lens is a Xenotar, of course.

Is the lens of your 2.8C a Xenotar or Planar? I'm guessing Xenotar, these are infamous for coating defects as they have aged. Both lenses were available in the 2.8C though. The Xenotar has a front cell that is a single piece of glass. As I have researched myself, I understand that the 2.8 Planars are a bonded front pair making polishing and re-coating more complex.

The bottom line is if the marks are minor as you say there is little to gain and much, potentially, to lose by attempting repair. Image quality will not be improved, whether vanity alone is worth the expense and risk is for you to decide, ultimately...
Regards,
Brett
So a nice Rollei Hood is next on the to buy list . Thank you for your input, i couldn't remember the name of the firm that do recoating...
But yup you are right, the moment you start polishing off the lens glass itself and not the coating you are interfering with the lens formula and changing its optical performance.

Old 03-19-2012   #79
marduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlori View Post
So a nice Rollei Hood is next on the to buy list . Thank you for your input, i couldn't remember the name of the firm that do recoating...
But yup you are right, the moment you start polishing off the lens glass itself and not the coating you are interfering with the lens formula and changing its optical performance.
Right, I have also heard lens elements are heated to 200 degrees, and there is some risk of lens cracking. I believe Will van Manen in Netherlands also does recoating as was stated on this forum.

Old 03-19-2012   #80
peter_n
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
Another thumbs up for Krikor.
I would have sent mine to Krikor too and many weeks ago I sent him an email asking if I could send him my recently acquired E3 for a checkup. I got a form bounce back from his address promising a reply but I never heard back from him. Then I read some rather uncomplimentary things on APUG and decided to send it to Essex Camera as reported above in post #65.

It took exactly 5 weeks to come back but they've done a beautiful job with it. It's not the first time I've used Essex so I'm not really surprised at the quality of the work but they clearly took note of my comments and acted on them. Essex is not a famous name like Fleenor or Maralian but they are very competent (and apparently have a good supply of spare parts). I had no qualms about sending my new-looking E3 to them and I'm very happy with the results. The cost was $170 including return shipping.

My RFF Gallery