Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

System camera - one lens ?
Old 01-10-2017   #1
dee

System camera - one lens ?

I bought a bargain new Fuji X-Po 1 body and added a sole new 27mm [ 41 ] lens [320 in total ] which suited me perfectly in Malaysia and is a great cary around .
I was not sure at first , but now I love it .

I have just found a New , warranted , Pentax K-1S kit zoom to which I added a new 35mm f2.5 , total 250 to the kit zoom .
This due to a] cost
b] Sony going EVF with the A35 etc.
c] modern 20mp sensor unlike the A290 CCD.
d] the quirky compact shape with 35mm suits me well

I usually mount a 35mm f1.8 on the A290 when content with the CCD colours in bright conditions .

The M8 carries a 35mm Color Scopar or a Summitar .

I have never been inclined to invest in decent zooms or expensive wide angles etc. Is this odd ?

dee
Upstaged by stylish Fuji X-Pro 1 and quirky Pentax K-S1
Puns,Cameras and snapshots keeping ASD and dees'ruptive Girl/Boy/Me?' constant dee'sorientation contained.

Old 01-11-2017   #2
Addy101

Yes
Without kidding, if you're happy with just a "normal" lens, good for you. In the past ('80s and before) it was what most people had and it is a very convenient focallength.

But why three systems? Sony A, Pentax K, Leica M and Fuji X. It seems a bit of an overkill imho.

Old 01-11-2017   #3
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Actually, I'll bet there are a lot of us here (including me) who have enough gear to assemble a number of different systems. But I agree, maybe not different digital systems.

Anyway, have fun with it/them!

Old 01-11-2017   #4
dee

Retirement means no more dreams of upgrading or adding - I would love a Panasonic L100 , but certainly could not justify the outlay at the time .
The X-Pro 1 body , new , boxed , was irresistible at 168 when I was looking for a compact camera for Malaysia -I like the size and handling - plus I the non EVF finder option .
I had seen it when new at 1300 and it seemed an impossible dream camera .
Having sold a Leica II , I was able to add compact / pancake 27mm for 150 makes it as i found in Malaysia , much more discrete than an SLR. So the purchase was far from straightforward !
if I had the cash , I may have gone for the 35mm , but was pleased with the 27mm , close to the 45mm which i liked on my Minolta SRT back when .

Pentax K10D was my 1st k10D DSL following a foray into Leica Digilux 3 / Panasonic L1 , which remain my vintage offering .
My main system - Sony - seem to have abandoned DSLRs so again , the price of 250 in clear out for a new KS1 and 35mm was simply an impulse buy for it's excellent finder and 20mp Sony sensor .
Again , I could not justify a round 500 ? for a modern DSLR .

I just have the kit zoom and a couple of Minolta 90's zooms plus the 35 f1.8 for the Sonys , which are duplicated in Pentax , which now appears to be supplanting the Sony system .

Unfortunately , my cameras have little monetary value , so I am content to hang onto them [ that's my excuse anyway ]

dee
Puns,Cameras and snapshots keeping ASD and dees'ruptive Girl/Boy/Me?' constant dee'sorientation contained.

Old 01-11-2017   #5
narsuitus

One Film Body with one lens:

Leica M6 35mm rangefinder with 35mm f/1.4 Zeiss ZM prime lens

Nikon F4 35mm SLR with 28-70mm f/2.8 Nikon auto focus zoom

6x7cm Fuji medium format rangefinder with 90mm f/3.5 Fujinon lens

4x5 inch Calumet view camera with 135mm f/5.6 Fujinon lens

One Digital Body with one lens:

Canon G15 digital compact with fixed 28-140mm equivalent f/1.8 to f/2.8 zoom lens

Fuji X-Pro1 mirrorless with 23mm f/1.4 prime lens

Fuji X-Pro1 mirrorless with 16-55mm f/2.8 zoom lens

Old 01-11-2017   #6
Jake Mongey

I can actually agree with this slightly, on my a7 pretty much the only lens I shoot is the canon 50mm 0.95. The only time I use other lenses is at events where I need something long to get into the action where the tamron 70-210 2.8 comes into play.

Old 01-12-2017   #7
dee

Thanks everyone .

....Sometimes I am unsure how ASD affects my choices , i actually like sameness and continuity , so finding something which isn't 'same' creates an attempt to find the reason .
It's very much living in the past somehow - The brain hard drive becomes full in the early years and it can't dee'lete no longer valid files and replace with new . This is the only means i have to describe this .

I am fairly certain that the 50mm lens is from the 70s when it came free with the SLR , and the Sony element is from a cheap Minolta 404si which suited me so well on a rare trip to Toronto - the Sony permitted the same lens in digital .
My brain is trained to see in 50mm or so to cut out peripheral elements which keep catching my attention .
Zooms , though useable , by altering the field of view cause a slight disturbance , although a nominal 52-120 [ 1990s Minolta/Pentax ] seems more acceptable .

The X-Pro was puzzling , until I set aside a black Minolta SRT - similar size and weight .
Sometimes it's not the type of item which is significant , but the feel and size etc .

The Pentax K-S1 ? not sure , but the clear screen is similar to the SRT and the odd handling seems OK somehow .

I am just going to go with it .

dee